HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NJ: T.Sestito; ANA: M. Fraser; EDM: G.Brule (Re-Entry); NAS: B.Dupont

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Slopo

vCash: 500
Depends on who the Hawks sign with the available money. And with that amount of money available, it'll be someone good, if not several good players.

Old
11-16-2011, 02:20 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Unless you count a defender playing 26 minutes a night at a PPG pace, and leading a resurgent team... Then it's definitely not "nothing lost"...

I realize this trade allowed the Hawks to manage their cap like a normal team, but writing off sacrificing Brian Campbell as "nothing lost" is pretty short-sighted. And please don't tell me 'Nick Leddy and Steve Montador have picked up the Campbell slack' it's assinine... Losing a player like Campbell for a joke of a contract like Olesz is not a good deal no matter which way you slice it.
Nothing lost by waiving Olesz.

Old
11-16-2011, 02:34 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Losing a player like Campbell for a joke of a contract like Olesz is not a good deal no matter which way you slice it.
True, but the Campbell contract from it's signing was not a good deal for the Blackhawks, so it's only fitting that one bad deal is needed to move another one.

Old
11-16-2011, 02:34 PM
ikeane

Quote:
Unless you count a defender playing 26 minutes a night at a PPG pace, and leading a resurgent team... Then it's definitely not "nothing lost"...

I realize this trade allowed the Hawks to manage their cap like a normal team, but writing off sacrificing Brian Campbell as "nothing lost" is pretty short-sighted. And please don't tell me 'Nick Leddy and Steve Montador have picked up the Campbell slack' it's assinine... Losing a player like Campbell for a joke of a contract like Olesz is not a good deal no matter which way you slice it.
I for one am not saying Montador and Leddy have replaced Campbell's production. Montador has brought a physical aspect which was sorely lacking last year. Montador has set screens on the PP, which was lacking last year.

Campbell has one goal (on PP) and 16 assists for 17 points
Leddy has 2 goals and 10 assists for 12 points
Montador has 3 goals and three assists (2G on the PP) for 6 points

Simple math tells me on the offensive level that Chicago has matched the loss of Campbell with 2 different assets teams have to worry about as opposed to just one. I am not dillusional enough to think that the breakout has not been affected because the Hawks miss Campbell back there. However, $4mil in cap space offers the chance to improve the team and keep the core together which is well worth the loss of Campbell. I'd rather have Montador patrolling the blueline than Hendry. With the loss of Seabrook and Bolland, last year Chicago would be rolling 5 dmen and Jeff Taffe would be playing center. Overall, the loss of a PMD like Campbell hurts, but I feel Leddy, O'Donnell, Lepisto, and Montador far outweighs the lost defensive pairing of Brian Campbell and Jordan Hendry. This to me makes this a good trade. Ochocinco can rot in the minors, something the Hawks could never do with Campbell to avoid completely stripping the team down.

Old
11-16-2011, 02:35 PM
ikeane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
True, but the Campbell contract from it's signing was not a good deal for the Blackhawks, so it's only fitting that one bad deal is needed to move another one.
Very true in today's salary cap age.

Old
11-16-2011, 05:18 PM
clefty
What?

God damn, what a ghastly contract Olesz has. What on earth were Florida thinking?

Old
11-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Sevanston

Quote:

Well, that's one way to misinterpret a post.

I'd be happy to do the Leddy-Campbell argument in another thread, since that's really not what this one is about.

Old
11-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Hawkaholic

Campbell didn't even play a large role on our Cup team. Sure he's excelling in Florida, so are all the other players that have moved on in their respective cities.

Chicago had to lose players, I don't know why people just can't shut up about it. No other team has had the talent the Hawks had on that roster for a long time, back then there was no Cap.

They are building their team for 3-5 years from now. This is not going to be the same Hawks team in 3-5 years. Leddy will be 23-25 and better, Toews, Kane, Bolland, Hjalmarsson, will all be better. Hossa will be slightly less offensive, but still great defensively, like wise for Sharp. Keith and Seabrook will be still getting better over the next few years, and Crawford will be a better goalie (although you never know with G's)...add to that, Saad, Morin, Olsen, Smith, Kruger, etc....

Campbell hurt our team from adding key players in 3-5 years when management believes they will have a team much like 2 years ago. For now, they will add key vets for a low price on short deals until their young guys improve.

Old
11-16-2011, 05:26 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Well, that's one way to misinterpret a post.

I'd be happy to do the Leddy-Campbell argument in another thread, since that's really not what this one is about.
Nah I've heard it. Just find it odd Hawks fans seem to be so content with this trade... It reeks from where I stand...

Old
11-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Nah I've heard it. Just find it odd Hawks fans seem to be so content with this trade... It reeks from where I stand...
Ask us about it in 3-5 years when Campbell is ~35/36 and still making 7mil, while Leddy is better and making probably 5mil max.

Old
11-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Ask us about it in 3-5 years when Campbell is ~35/36 and still making 7mil, while Leddy is better and making probably 5mil max.
Is delusion a comfortable place to be? One of the worst players in the NHL at 3+ million through 2013-2014 and about 4 million in capspace... For Florida's MVP and one of the best transitional defenders in the sport? Has nothing to do with Nick Leddy (who won't be that good if he's making "5mil max" in 5 years, right? He's either going to replace Campbell and make more than 5 mill [he won't] or plateau, can't have it both ways). They now have Olesz and Brunette and have to play O'Donnell and Montador 16 minutes a night... Brilliant. Another shrewd cap move by the Hawks...

Old
11-16-2011, 05:54 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
You won't find one Hawks fan who is upset with the Campbell trade.

Old
11-16-2011, 05:58 PM
ChiHawk21

Quote:
Is delusion a comfortable place to be? One of the worst players in the NHL at 3+ million through 2013-2014 and about 4 million in capspace... For Florida's MVP and one of the best transitional defenders in the sport? Has nothing to do with Nick Leddy (who won't be that good if he's making "5mil max" in 5 years, right? He's either going to replace Campbell and make more than 5 mill [he won't] or plateau, can't have it both ways). They now have Olesz and Brunette and have to play O'Donnell and Montador 16 minutes a night... Brilliant. Another shrewd cap move by the Hawks...
u do realize that the hawks have almost 7 mil in capspace now...have leddy playing campbells minutes and doing damn well.

they have montador and odonnell that much time because its the beginning of the season and they CAN....ya no first place in the west.

they have brunnette on a 1 year deal...and olesz is waived

Last edited by ChiHawk21: 11-16-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old
11-16-2011, 06:02 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Pretty sure that guy is a Canucks fan, not a Panthers fan. Still, Campbell was a luxury we couldn't afford. Leddy is replacing him entirely and the rest of his cap space is being efficiently allocated. Shrewd move indeed.

Old
11-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy

Quote:
I don't understand what you are trying to say. Stan Bowman was put in a really difficult situation, and he carefully navigated through cap hell masterfully. After one down year following the cup win, the Hawks are back to the top of the NHL with the best record in the league. Are there several good players who we would have like to have kept? Absolutely. But that's the reality of a salary cap world. Luckily we're not the only team that has to deal with those constraints.

Old
11-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHawk21 View Post
u do realize that the hawks have almost 7 mil in capspace now...have leddy playing campbells minutes and doing damn well.

they have montador and odonnell that much time because its the beginning of the season and they CAN....ya no first place in the west.

they have brunnette on a 1 year deal...and olesz is waived

so in 3 years when campbell is not one of ur top 3 defenseman and hes using up all your capspace u will understand

i hope that the panthers can make it in the playoffs this year thatd be a huge accomplishment for them....meanwhile the hawks will be stanley cup contenders for YEARS

Great signing on kopecky too pfffff and i cant wait till dale pays versteeg this summer you guys are gunna be in cap trouble with a mediocre team
If you couldn't tell from his blind hatred and uninformed rants against the Blackhawks, a look at his profile reveals that he is a Canucks fan. Leave the Panthers out of it. The Brian Campbell trade was a huge win for them. Fortunately for us, trades aren't always zero-sum games.

Old
11-16-2011, 06:13 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Dont mistake Hawks fans being content with the trade with us being glad that Campbell is gone. I think you would have a hard time finding anyone that was disappointed in his play, but he wasn't contributing like we expect a 7m + player should- not because he's bad but largely because of where he fell on our depth chart. I think at 2.5m less we would have been happy to keep him on our 2nd pairing.

At the end of the day though, hes a first pairing guy, and is probably happier playing to his potential. We are sad to see him go but happy for the cap space. Noone will say that Leddy has outright replaced Campbell, but he's filled that role well beyond any reasonable expectations.

Were we happy to get Olesz? From a talent perspective no, but from a cap flexibility perspective, absolutely. His is a contract much easier buried in the AHL... which is effectively going to give us 7m in cap space, and Leddy has probably 80% replaced Campbell at minimal cap hit. For a team as stacked with long-term talent as the Hawks are, having this 7m in space will open up all sorts of opportunities for us to sign 1 all-star player, or multiple great players to either short or long term contracts. We could set ourselves up to make a cup run right now, or for several years running.

For that kind of flexibility, yes, this was a good trade for Chicago.

Old
11-16-2011, 06:27 PM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

Quote:
Thanks to the Cambpell trade, this Hawks team has something that they didn't last year....DEPTH! And now $7 million in cap space to get even better.

Old
11-16-2011, 08:02 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Was the reason he wasnt waived sooner and bought out this past summer was because he was injured? Because everyone should've seen this coming, especially Bowman who could've (if possible) bought out Olesz and then signed anyone during free agency that would've been at least useful. Plus the buyout this past summer as opposed to next summer would be a much, much better bargin and not eat into cap space in 2 yrs that will be needed to re-sign guys like Bolland, Leddy, Frolik, Kane, Toews, etc.

Old
11-16-2011, 08:02 PM
SUOMI

Can someone says something about Bass? Is he that bad that no one dare to talk of him???

Old
11-16-2011, 08:05 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

...and Anaheim takes Olesz

Old
11-16-2011, 08:40 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
God damn, what a ghastly contract Olesz has. What on earth were Florida thinking?
That's GM Jacques Martin's brilliance at work. No wonder he skipped town for a 'demotion' to Montreal.

Old
11-16-2011, 09:07 PM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUOMI View Post
Can someone says something about Bass? Is he that bad that no one dare to talk of him???
I always liked him when I saw him play the Bruins with the Senators. Gritty, pain in the ass. I remember Thornton beating him down and screaming at him in the penalty box. But that was a few years ago. I was shocked to see he's only played 40+ games in the NHL. I assumed he would have been a 4th line fixture somewhere by now. Seems like a Chia-type guy, but you can't pick someone off waivers to put them in the minors, or you have to waive him again.

Old
11-16-2011, 09:32 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:

I wouldnt use the word delusional there are plenty of defenders out there that are better than campbell at an all around game and bring different things and cost a fraction of what he makes

campbell is over paid due to lack of availability of anything better at the time and I didn't realize that some people still don't know that

Old
11-17-2011, 03:26 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Pretty sure that guy is a Canucks fan, not a Panthers fan. Still, Campbell was a luxury we couldn't afford. Leddy is replacing him entirely and the rest of his cap space is being efficiently allocated. Shrewd move indeed.
yes, he is a Nucks Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
You won't find one Hawks fan who is upset with the Campbell trade.
User KyleJRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
...and Anaheim takes Olesz
they need more secondary scoring and with Hagman they haven't got that

Closed Thread