HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

alternate, day-after thread NYR v CAR

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2005, 09:30 AM
heywood*

vCash: 500
alternate, day-after thread NYR v CAR

i try to watch the game and not overvalue the goals and outcome from the play- luck is involved, and i want to factor that out to the best i can.

i read the GDT and thought many were watching a different game than i was. since i wasn't smoking anything, and since space is cheap in here, i thought i'd offer an alternate set of opinions.

last night, i thought the rangers forwards looked a lot better than recently, in many facets of the game. the 3rd/4th lines dominated the flow of the game- the rangers generated more short-handed chances last night than i have seen them do in the last 3 games combined. i thought moore, ortmayer, and the other C-guy (apologies- i forget his name- made an awesome pass) looked great out there. i saw rucchin generate several high-quality scoring chances. and nylander perked up physically- he did not play soft.

for whatever reason, likely the false hype surrounding cam ward, martin berger gets no credit. he was the best player on the ice last night, with brad hedican a close second. hedican and aaron ward took the body to jagr, and it was effective.

the team has no high-quality D. malik looks the part for me, physically- when the puck cycled on the PP he seemed to me to take good positions. roszival is garbage. tyutin looks soft to me. poti clearly has some skills but he refuses to play hard- he's in it only for the guaranteed money, it's obvious.

the rangers need a guy like hedican.

oh, and, for the record, lundqvist sucked last night. he made two great saves in the first period, but nothing after that.

Old
11-18-2005, 09:36 AM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
Quote:
Originally Posted by heywood
for whatever reason, likely the false hype surrounding cam ward, martin berger gets no credit. he was the best player on the ice last night, with brad hedican a close second. hedican and aaron ward took the body to jagr, and it was effective.
Martin Berger = Martin Gerber.

Brad Hedican = Bret Hedican.

There is no false hype surrounding C. Ward. Gerber is given tons of credit where credit is due.

I think you were watching the wrong team.

Old
11-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Lundqvist was bound for a stinker...even the best goalies have them. I'm sure he'll be eager to bounce back.

Right now, I'd say the biggest problem for my #2 team is that they're just not putting enough viable offensive threats out there--and that's a roundabout way of saying they're just not getting enough offense from their defense. I'll reiterate that I'd like to see them bring up Thomas Pock and see what happens...he can't be any worse than Rozsival or Poti, despite his struggles early on in Hartford.

New York's been a pleasant surprise, but I just don't think they have quite enough to take on the league's elite like Carolina. They should still have a fairly solid year, maybe even a playoff appearance, but nothing past that.

And if you'd have told me before the season started I'd be putting "league's elite" and "Carolina" in the same sentence I'd have told you to stop smoking crack.

Old
11-18-2005, 09:42 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Lundqvist made more than 2 great saves... but he did let in a couple softies. All in all it was a bad game for him. Thats pretty obvious.

The 3rd and 4th lines DOMINATED the flow? for how long? i didnt see that. they had a few good shifts, but only a few quality shots if that, everything was on the boards. Carolina took it to the Rangers hard last night... i dont know what you were seeing last night.

What about Adams? the dude had a hat trick! I know they werent great goals, and maybe are stopped more times than not, but come on... that guy got the job done last night, soft or not.

The Rangers basically killed themselves last night. Th powerplays gave Carolina even more life. I cant take much positives out of this one. Even at the end when the Rangers started really pushing again they werent getting anything off clean, didnt draw a powerplay and the let up the 5th goal!

Poti and Jagr where -3 and Straka was -4.

Old
11-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Fletch

Lundqvist did make more than...

two great saves. Carolina could've easily scored two or three goals in the first period. Lundqvist did let in 2-3 soft ones to make up for those saves.

as for the forwards - still a lot of skating going on and nothing getting done. Shots from the outside aren't that effective.

Amazing that Poti was -3 and Rozsival was even because I thought that Rozsival was easily the worst defenseman out there last night - right up there with Kondratiev - although his cough-up shouldn't have resulted in a goal.

Gotta hand it to Carolina. They kept coming at the Rangers and pounding them, resulting in multiple PP opportunities (8 to 4) and making sure there was no way the Rangers could come back and win that one. Glad to see Renney rest Jagr - who should be ready for tomorrow. Overall, though, this team, I think, is starting to wear down a bit. It needs a real shot in the arm, or an injection of a new set of legs.

Old
11-18-2005, 09:54 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Heywood Nelson, was anyone around you smoking, you mightve gotten the contact high...

Ruccin made '-high quality' offensive plays? Hmm, couldve fooled me, maybe i just forgot about any good plays he made once he threw that puck to Staal on the PP so he could crank it up from 30 feet out for the Canes first goal.

I agree, the Rangers have no 'high quality' D-man, but then you say we need a guy like Hedican? He's 'high quality'?

And yeah HockeybasedNYC, Straka sucks.

Last edited by Bluenote13: 11-18-2005 at 10:40 AM.
Old
11-18-2005, 10:25 AM
Janerixon

Im curious as to the game you watched as well heywood, because lundqvist made a few great saves in the 2nd period, nothing as highlight reel like those 2 saves in the first but he made some good saves, he just let in 2 softies (one being a positional goal)

as for saying tyutin looked soft how can you say that considering he didnt play after the 2nd period and played part of the 1st period with a broken finger? he obviously wasnt at 100% but he tried, thats defintely not soft to me

the rangers need an upgrade at defense and no one is arguing that its just a matter of what can we get and for what? id rather we see what baranka or pock can do now with tyutin out before we go make a deal, but we will have to see

as for hedican he is 35, id prefer we try to build a young defensive corp and let one of our own guys develop into a hedican

Old
11-18-2005, 10:26 AM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Gotta hand it to Carolina. They kept coming at the Rangers and pounding them, resulting in multiple PP opportunities (8 to 4) and making sure there was no way the Rangers could come back and win that one. Glad to see Renney rest Jagr - who should be ready for tomorrow. Overall, though, this team, I think, is starting to wear down a bit. It needs a real shot in the arm, or an injection of a new set of legs.
Carolina completely dominated us starting with the 1st intermission and on. They suffocated our offense, even if our offense created a couple of scoring opportunities, they took body (especially on Kondratiev - he was turning the puck over in order not to be killed), they forechecked and cycled the puck in our zone, created scoring chances and scored. Lundqvist is Lundqvist. He is going to be a great goaltender in this league. Yesterday, was one of those games that every great goalie has once in a while. He couldn't save us, and I don't blame him.

I thought that Malik was the best defenseman for us yesterday, and Blair Betts was the best forward. Eventhough Poti was -3, I thought he played aggresively and with confidence in the offensive zone, which is a good sign.

Old
11-18-2005, 10:40 AM
Jim Ramsay

I didn't really think the rangers played a completely terrible game. Carolina's transition game is lightning quick and its going to win them a lot of games. They did beat Ottawa TWICE this season already. How many times is poti going to shoot the puck and completely miss the net, and why is he down low looking for rebounds? I think Malik has played pretty decent since being here which many of you will disagree with me about, he makes the quiet simple play and is smart in blocking passing lanes. Blair Betts has really shown me skills the past few games, I wasn't totally sold on him in the beginning of the season but now he's growing on me. If I could name any one to take a faceoff in a clutch situation it would be him. He beat Sundin cleanly on 2 faceoffs in Toronto at the end of the game. We need some more finishers on the top 2 lines, and its easy to see that Rucinsky is needed (didn't think I'd be saying that ever). I expected the rangers to only win 2 games on the trip and they exceeded my expectations.

Old
11-18-2005, 10:58 AM
heywood*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunham
I didn't really think the rangers played a completely terrible game. Carolina's transition game is lightning quick and its going to win them a lot of games. They did beat Ottawa TWICE this season already. How many times is poti going to shoot the puck and completely miss the net, and why is he down low looking for rebounds? I think Malik has played pretty decent since being here which many of you will disagree with me about, he makes the quiet simple play and is smart in blocking passing lanes. Blair Betts has really shown me skills the past few games, I wasn't totally sold on him in the beginning of the season but now he's growing on me. If I could name any one to take a faceoff in a clutch situation it would be him. He beat Sundin cleanly on 2 faceoffs in Toronto at the end of the game. We need some more finishers on the top 2 lines, and its easy to see that Rucinsky is needed (didn't think I'd be saying that ever). I expected the rangers to only win 2 games on the trip and they exceeded my expectations.
"betts" is the guy i'd forgotten his name. he plays with a spark.

Old
11-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Fletch

I agree Nemchinov...

Poti also seems willing to take the shot now and join the rush (actually start the rush and seemingly go in alone, but that's another problem) and create things. He's gotta tone down that wind-up. Further, Poti's getting a clue in his own zone. I saw a few little smart plays he made - like not chasing the puck carrier up high when a guy was sneaking in low - thereby forcing the guy up high and staying in position negating a down-low cycle. He's not great, but he's looking much more serviceable.

Malik was the team's best defenseman yesterday - still think he's best suited on a third pair - which would reduce my ire for him, but I still can't help but think he's here for three more years, and taking up nice cap space. And I actually thought 'Drats was coughing up the puck after he was getting hit - such as on the goal - in which he was hit up high, and with a knee (it was a pretty violent crash), and the puck skooted out to Adams - of course, he failed to move the puck before getting hit.

Old
11-18-2005, 12:02 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

If the game was 20 minutes long then yes the forwards played well. The shorthanded chances were on like one PK out of 80 billion.

Old
11-18-2005, 12:33 PM
eco's bones

Well I got lucky although I didn't think so at the time as the MSG channel here was showing Poker. I started following the game around 8:30 on the computer. We were down 2-1 at that point but it wasn't long before it was 3-1 and I had the feeling it wasn't going to be our night.

Old
11-18-2005, 01:07 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Eric Staal suffered a bruised lower back last night in a collision with the goalpost. He is listed as day-to-day. - Durham Herald Sun
Well hopefully he doesn't play tomorrow.

Old
11-18-2005, 01:47 PM
Fletch

Who cares about Staal?

this team needs to figure out how to stop Kevyn Adams - first three goals in 18 games - all against the Rangers - amazing!

Old
11-18-2005, 02:21 PM
JerseyRangers

Not sure what you think you were watching

but it certainly wasn't the Rangers-Canes game. Other than on the pk not sure that the 3rd and 4th lines generated much of anything offensively. What I saw, starting in the 2nd period, is a team that got physically intimidated and none of the forwards replied in kind. Drats was getting pounded with no response. In the 3rd period we killed any chance of a comeback with totally stupid penalties in the offensive zone. Canes stopped hitting in the 3rd; they didn't need to. The game was already in hand and they knew it. Just a really bad game for the Rangers. Hopefully tomorrow the boys come in ready to hit and be hit (like we did in the Toronto game).

Closed Thread