HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wherein we hate them again tonight.

Old
11-16-2011, 10:31 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Probably get roasted but I don't think the Sabres played all that bad of a game. Just fell behind early and Jersey seemed like they had their share of fortune tonight and the good guys didn't.

On to the weekend.

Not gonna roast you.... just disagree with you..

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
R and W were a -2 tonight. So yea, they kinda sucked tonight.
I thought Weber struggled a bit...... but not Regher.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:33 PM
gallagt01

Weber/Regehr were -2. Weber is now -5 through three games. His fault or not, that doesn't look good. I think he's played three solid games (minus the first period of the Flyers game) but if being on the ice for GA is never good.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:34 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
It's not really the loss, it's the cumulative effort that the team is putting forth, it's a culmination of the entire season, underachievement, lazy play, this team will not get out of the first round unless they get a favorable matchup. Look how they responded to the hit on Miller, aren't they supposed to have each others backs? A team that doesn't believe in each other will go nowhere, who knows what the problem is.
Dude, they're tied for the lead in their division. They were top 3 in the conference.

Do you know how many teams win the first round of the playoff? Why are they worse than any of the 12 teams they are above in the standings?

"Having each others backs" is cute and all, but at the end of the day goals for and goals against are what win championships, not cross checking and grabbing guys in scrums.

I swear, some people who watch this sport actually dislike hockey and just want to see MMA on ice. All this cutesy "buzzword" talk about toughness and work ethic. You honestly think guys don't try? They're the best players in the world, you don't get there and stay there without working your ass off.

Meanwhile, everybodies poster boy Gerbe has been a black whole of suck this season. When he's not falling down in the corners he's completely whiffing on every shot and pass he tries to make. But at least his skating style makes him look like he really tries and he's not afraid to meaninglessly check guys into the boards long after the puck has gone elsewhere. That's what people want after all.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:34 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Take out that goal that Goose lost the draw on (really not on the D) and it's a pretty standard -1...

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
In other words, anyone but Boston or Pittsburgh, correct?
The teams that have the best chance of getting out of the first round in the East are Pittsburgh Boston Philly and Washington. Now other than Washington, look at the character in the room of the other 3 teams. You look at a team like Washington, all the talent in the world, but no character in the locker room. When it comes to crunch time, who is going to lead this team? Anyways, whenever we win again we will all be jubilant so don't worry about the ranting.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
It's not really the loss, it's the cumulative effort that the team is putting forth, it's a culmination of the entire season, underachievement, lazy play, this team will not get out of the first round unless they get a favorable matchup. Look how they responded to the hit on Miller, aren't they supposed to have each others backs? A team that doesn't believe in each other will go nowhere, who knows what the problem is.
Question: is it better to start hot out of the gate and fade late in the season or peak late in the season headed into the playoffs?

Sure there has been issues with the team thus far but the scary party is that they don't seem to be playing all that well and yet they're still 11-7. If these guys start gelling and playing how they're capable of playing, which they show flashes of from time to time, and they can match-up with any team in the league IMO.

Calm the worries, it's 18 games and even though there are some things that are worrisome, there is a hell of a lot to be excited about too. In other words, I don't see them getting worse from here on out.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

G:

- Myers woke up in a big way.

- I thought Vanek was all over the place... at times...

- I don't know if there's too much good in this game

B:

- Everything

U:

- Another home loss

- This team's compete level

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:36 PM
CowbellConray

Quote:
Probably get roasted but I don't think the Sabres played all that bad of a game. Just fell behind early and Jersey seemed like they had their share of fortune tonight and the good guys didn't.

On to the weekend.
I agree actually. I thought we played a good game, just some lapses that cost us. There was a large amount of the game where we were controlling play.

when the devils scored I was like "what just happened we were just putting on pressure?" but they just potted some of the their chances and Brodeur was absolutely phenominal tonight. several great saves tongiht

CowbellConray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:37 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
Dude, they're tied for the lead in their division. They were top 3 in the conference.

Do you know how many teams win the first round of the playoff? Why are they worse than any of the 12 teams they are above in the standings?

"Having each others backs" is cute and all, but at the end of the day goals for and goals against are what win championships, not cross checking and grabbing guys in scrums.

I swear, some people who watch this sport actually dislike hockey and just want to see MMA on ice. All this cutesy "buzzword" talk about toughness and work ethic. You honestly think guys don't try? They're the best players in the world, you don't get there and stay there without working your ass off.

Meanwhile, everybodies poster boy Gerbe has been a black whole of suck this season. When he's not falling down in the corners he's completely whiffing on every shot and pass he tries to make. But at least his skating style makes him look like he really tries and he's not afraid to meaninglessly check guys into the boards long after the puck has gone elsewhere. That's what people want after all.
You make it sound so simple, if it's that easy why haven't we won a championship yet? Yeah, we're tied for a division lead, in which Boston started off to a horrendous start and is catching up quickly, Montreal who also started off horrendously, and the Leafs and Senators. Shouldn't be too hard to take the division lead like that.

Old
11-16-2011, 10:37 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Just back from the Amerks game and listened to the last 5 minutes in the car. Did D-Mac get tested at all? How'd he look?

EDIT: Shanaban for Myers hit on Zubrus?

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Question: is it better to start hot out of the gate and fade late in the season or peak late in the season headed into the playoffs?

Sure there has been issues with the team thus far but the scary party is that they don't seem to be playing all that well and yet they're still 11-7. If these guys start gelling and playing how they're capable of playing, which they show flashes of from time to time, and they can match-up with any team in the league IMO.

Calm the worries, it's 18 games and even though there are some things that are worrisome, there is a hell of a lot to be excited about too. In other words, I don't see them getting worse from here on out.
I agree, I am overreacting a bit, and this team has nowhere to go but up. We are nearly a quarter of the way through the season, and this team's record is nowhere near what they deserve. We were good in Europe, great in fact. After that it's been inconsistent defense and a one line offense.

Also, we saw first hand how much starting hot out of the gate and peaking late makes a difference in the playoffs. Playoffs are a whole 'nother season.

Old
11-16-2011, 10:42 PM
joshjull

Quote:

Goose loses a draw and the Devils make a great play and score. Every player on the ice gets a minus (Weber/Regehr included) even though they didn't make a mistake leading to the goal. It drives me ****ing nuts when posters make an arguement based soley on +/-. Its analytical laziness.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:45 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Weber/Regehr were -2. Weber is now -5 through three games. His fault or not, that doesn't look good. I think he's played three solid games (minus the first period of the Flyers game) but if being on the ice for GA is never good.
Yea, but if I'm remembering correctly, Weber also did a great job of screening Enroth on two goals.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:47 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Goose loses a draw and the Devils make a great play and score. Every player on the ice gets a minus (Weber/Regehr included) even though they didn't make a mistake leading to the goal. It drives me ****ing nuts when posters make an arguement based soley on +/-. Its analytical laziness.
Hey, I had Regehr and Weber in my bad column. Before I looked at those pesky stats. My opinion.... I didn't like their game. Simple.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Agreed...but one point that needs to be made is with the goalie pulled, he was out there and **gasp** SHOT THE PUCK! His shots created several chances there. It befuddles me why Gragnani kept being Ruff's go-to guy in those situations instead of Ehrhoff.

But other than that...yeah, Ehrhoff was not good at all.

Roy was flat out awful today. Pominville was OK at times (although leaving Parise in front of the net on the shorty was an egregious mistake), Vanek was Vanek. Leino-Boyes-Stafford was OK, but we need more out of those guys. And the bottom 6 did absolutely nothing today.

Too many passengers. This team could really use an infusion of Jochen Hecht, hopefully he'll be ready by December (I know he's cleared for contact, but that doesn't mean anything yet).

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Good

Broduer stole the show.

Welcome back Tyler!

Bad

Not winning.

Ugly

Playing at home.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:48 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowbellConray View Post
I agree actually. I thought we played a good game, just some lapses that cost us. There was a large amount of the game where we were controlling play.

when the devils scored I was like "what just happened we were just putting on pressure?" but they just potted some of the their chances and Brodeur was absolutely phenominal tonight. several great saves tongiht
Yep, to me the play that summed up the game was Boyes having a golden opportunity and his stick exploding and the puck going the other way and ending up behind Enroth.

What do you do?

I have been critical of some bad efforts but this game just didn't have the feel of those games. I hate losing but I thought they played pretty well.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:51 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

GOOD

Marty Brodeur
Good passing.
Really Great effort to get to the net.
Ehrhoff and Leopold have a future on the powerplay point.
Adam picks his spots well.
myers skating.
Vanek is a leader.
REGEHR is solid. Give him an "A"
the second line created some of the best scoring chances.
stafford needs to keep in mind that he replaced max, who was a player that had the puck on his stick a lot. old habits never die.

a long list of almost.

BAD

Weber's stability versus Gragnani's outlet pass.
they forget about Kovalchuk
Adam is less effective when he isn't going to the boards.
the short handed goal was uncharacteristic of roy
gerbe's heart hasn't been as contagious.

ugly

the score doesn't reflect the effort.

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 11-16-2011 at 11:31 PM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:57 PM
joshjull

The confusing

Ruff's use of Weber. He hardly dresses but when he does he has gone against Giroux/Jagr and tonight Parise/Kovolchuk.

Whether Weber should be out against those guys is one thing. But if Ruff wants him out against that level of opponent. How is he not playing more?

Like I said its very confusing.

Old
11-16-2011, 10:59 PM
static80

The defensive play of this team is just horrible at times.

Forwards unable to finish when opportunities present themselves, but this has been a reccurring theme for this team for a number of years now.

Lack of a sustainable forecheck leading to odd man rushes or worse yet, the opponent sustains a visible, aggressive forecheck on the Sabres, forcing pressure, which in turn creates panick amongst the puck carriers of the Sabres.
Once again, a recurring them with this team for a number of years now.

Something needs to change here, not being able to get 2 lines to sustain much of anything on a consistent level tells me, in any event, that this team is much farther from a Cup run than many of us believe.

Changes need to be made here, it's almost a quarter of a season, we should feel very very fortunate the teams record is what it is because quite honestly, I cannot see them sustaining that win/loss ratio throughout the season.....and forget the playoffs.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:00 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

****ing ugly: Sabres are 0-4 when I'm in attendance this year. More losses than I saw all of last year including going to 4 playoff games.

The good that can come out of this is that this game can propel Myers into what he can be for us. And Myers at his best this season will be worth more than 1 win, that's for sure.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProngersEyeball View Post
Just back from the Amerks game and listened to the last 5 minutes in the car. Did D-Mac get tested at all? How'd he look?

EDIT: Shanaban for Myers hit on Zubrus?
Didn't really get tested but the shots he did face and when the puck was around the net he seemed a little bit jittery. One shot in particular, right at his glove and he kind of fumbled with it resulting in the puck dropped out 2-3 feet right in front of him. Not bad, just seemed a little jittery.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:04 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Hey, I had Regehr and Weber in my bad column. Before I looked at those pesky stats. My opinion.... I didn't like their game. Simple.
Didn't mean to unload on you like that. Its just pet peeve of mine.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:04 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Why are Weber/Regehr playing together anyway?? They should each be paired with one of the 35 offensive defensemen we dress every night.

Quote:
The confusing

Ruff's use of Weber. He hardly dresses but when he does he has gone against Giroux/Jagr and tonight Parise/Kovolchuk.

Whether Weber should be out against those guys is one thing. But if Ruff wants him out against that level of opponent. How is he not playing more?

Like I said its very confusing.
And people wonder why jame and I have not liked the guy for so long. (Ruff, not Weber)

sba is offline   Reply With Quote