HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to break out of a slump ?

Old
11-16-2011, 02:02 PM
opivy
Sauce King

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
There are people in life who quit whenever things get tough. They end up on minimum wage and blaming everyone else for their problems. Then we get to pay them with our taxes to improve their quality of life.

Buck up and go do your job if you started it, quitting is just a sad way to live, blaming the other players that were also not backchecking and taking long shifts means that you don't think that you were doing anything wrong. Grow up, admit your mistakes so that you can correct them, if you don't see them as mistakes then go to an NHL tryout and we'll see you in a week.

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:09 PM
SidGenoMario

This is too hilarious to be real.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:30 PM
BLBarmada

@Everyone.

Im not saying that I backchecked. I did but it faded, alot.

I was +1, won every face-off, had an assist and drew a penalty. As the game went I my effort level decreased. I stop showing up. So no I'm not innocent. I agree with the poster who said I'm probably held to higher standard.

It's distraught when your backchecking, and then you worst players, who think they're among the best, don't bust their ***** back and we get scored on. They also take long shifts and cherry pick (which I did twords the end) dont get called out.

I'm not saying I didn't do anything wrong.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Iplayhockehh

My coach singles me out every time we have a bad game because im his best player and he knows I can take it. He's not going to call out the worst player on the team because that player doesn't need to be **** on. Also, if you're losing games it is always the fault of your best players.

Iplayhockehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
@Everyone.

Im not saying that I backchecked. I did but it faded, alot.

I was +1, won every face-off, had an assist and drew a penalty. As the game went I my effort level decreased. I stop showing up. So no I'm not innocent. I agree with the poster who said I'm probably held to higher standard.

It's distraught when your backchecking, and then you worst players, who think they're among the best, don't bust their ***** back and we get scored on. They also take long shifts and cherry pick (which I did twords the end) dont get called out.

I'm not saying I didn't do anything wrong.
so your plan to get out of a slump was to quit and half-ass it during a close game bc players that were not as good as you didn't give full effort?

then bc you got called out for it and not them, you quit.

awesome. with the way you described it, you should have been cut for floating and lacking any accountability.

Clarkington III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

this thread should be re-titled...

how do I score more goals without putting effort in?

Old
11-16-2011, 07:44 PM
KingsFan24*

KHL is where this guy should go lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
this thread should be re-titled...

how do I score more goals without putting effort in?

KingsFan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:04 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplayhockehh View Post
My coach singles me out every time we have a bad game because im his best player and he knows I can take it. He's not going to call out the worst player on the team because that player doesn't need to be **** on. Also, if you're losing games it is always the fault of your best players.

The players I'm talking about have egos, they can take it. That bring said I should of shut my mouth.

Ya I know, its my fault were losing but doesn't really help me now.

I understand that some of you can't read, but I'll say this again. I didn't plan on quitting, **** happens.

I'm not even going into the accountability part.

Old
11-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
The players I'm talking about have egos, they can take it. That bring said I should of shut my mouth.

I understand that some of you can't read, but I'll say this again. I didn't plan on quitting, **** happens.

Being able to take critism isn't about having an ego. it's about being accountable and having an understanding of shortcomings and ways to improve. Having an ego leads to what you did, quit.

Just because you didn't plan to quit doesn't make it any better. it actually makes it worse because when faced with a little adversity, you went the other way.

Trying to justify it by saying you didn't plan to only adds to the lack of accountability.

Old
11-16-2011, 10:22 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Being able to take critism isn't about having an ego. it's about being accountable and having an understanding of shortcomings and ways to improve. Having an ego leads to what you did, quit.

Just because you didn't plan to quit doesn't make it any better. it
actually makes it worse because when faced with a little adversity, you went the other way.

Trying to justify it by saying you didn't plan to only adds to the lack of accountability.
You raise some good points, I shouldn't of brought up the other guys, but at the end of the day they could of played harder, and so could I.

I coach a peewee team, we don't single out players, we take them aside alone.

Anyways it's over now.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:13 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
You raise some good points, I shouldn't of brought up the other guys, but at the end of the day they could of played harder, and so could I.

I coach a peewee team, we don't single out players, we take them aside alone.

Anyways it's over now.
You shouldn't have brought them up but you still rag on them? Good job.

If you're one of the better players you have to lead by example first and foremost. You can't backcheck for anyone else but yourself. Stop worrying about how anyone else got away with lack of effort, that doesn't give you any excuse to give up too. Please think about this thread when you are getting back on a team. Please, for their sake, go in there with a different attitude and a little bit of effort.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
You raise some good points, I shouldn't of brought up the other guys, and at the end of the day I could of played harder.

Notice the difference?

Old
11-17-2011, 06:52 AM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Notice the difference?
No.............

Old
11-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

#1 problem was the coach singling you out in front of everyone. I strongly believe in the phrase "praise in public; scold in private". Some people work 10x harder when they get called out and others get discouraged.

I think you can take something from the experience, learn from it, and get better. I'm assuming you're still young. People will rip on you like it's a character flaw but reflect on what you could have done better and remember that going forward.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 09:57 AM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

vCash: 50
surprised the OP hasnt quit this thread now that he has been critized in front of other posters who arent trying very hard either

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:16 AM
shawn1331

Quote:

Sounds to me like your NOT one of the best players on the team your more one of the "ego" guys who can actually score. The best players play defense bud not just score. Heck, look at kessel this year, he's leading in goals and points and he backchecks harder than most of the 3rd line forwards most games. Looks like you were looking for an excuse to quit anyways.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:37 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
I'd say the only lesson you're going to get at this point is: don't worry what other people are doing. Do YOUR best and you won't have these problems. And as you grow up, you'll find that it's easier to lead by example.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:39 AM
KevFist
is best pony

90% of slumps are created in the 8 inch space between your ears...And honestly, I'm noticing some bad traits in your posting that can lead to a slump.

1. You guaranteed your teammates a 15 game win streak. later you go on to talk about the coach singling you out. You asked for the attention and responsibility, and you got it. When you choose to put yourself under a microscope, don't be surprised when the results are less than desirable.

2. You said you weren't happy with your effort, so you left practice early. If you're in a slump, you need to spend MORE time working on fundamentals. if anything, you should have still been there when everyone else was gone. Leaving practice early also sends a bad message to your teammates.

3. You're talking about your coach singling you out. WERE you taking long shifts? WERE you not backchecking? Don't worry about what your other teammates are doing, worry about your game. It's a cop out to be like "Well my teammates weren't doing it, so it's not my fault." If you're going to be a leader, then be a leader. Be an example. from what I'm seeing, you're not being the best example.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:41 AM
saskganesh

Quote:
No.............
Anyway, you are young, and it's a day later; you probably could rejoin the team with no hard feelings and then try to be part of the solution and not be part of the problem. Good luck.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Finnish your Czech
I miss Frank Corrado

vCash: 50
start passing or dumping the puck in a lot. When you're in the Offensive zone go straight to the net and look for garbage goals.

Finnish your Czech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
No.............
And that's your biggest problem. Part of the mental aspect of a slump is being accountable for what you are actually doing. Re-read that Staal quote if you need an example.

It's funny how you are the one slumping but felt the need to talk about what your teammates weren't doing.

One thing you will learn in hockey and in life is you can only control what you do. Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react.

Old
11-17-2011, 03:30 PM
BLBarmada

Alot of good points, I'll give the coach a call.

Old
11-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
surprised the OP hasnt quit this thread now that he has been critized in front of other posters who arent trying very hard either
One of the funniest posts I've seen in quite some time.

Just out of curiosity, what level and age of hockey is the OP playing?

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Canadian91

Hey guys,

Any advice on this for an entire team? Mine is winless in 4 and 1-9-1 on the year. 1 or 2 more losses and we'll be out of the playoff picture. We only cut 1 skater at tryouts, so we didn't have much to start with, but I still think that we can be around .500. Our problem is that we have too many players who can't focus and aren't playing the way they can.

Canadian91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For rec league? It's usually dependent on having guys that can score, but having guys focus on defense is key. Need to stop odd man rushes, gap coverage, watch open guys in the slot/backdoor, etc. Of course if the goalie is a sieve then it's really frustrating because you can do everything right and still lose your games.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote