HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wherein we hate them again tonight.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:05 PM
number72

vCash: 500
Ugly
Leino

If he is in a scoring slump but contribute to the team another way
- a big hit
- drop the glove
- run the goalie

Ok maybe Leino doesn't fight but no one on this team dropped the gloves tonight.
They play with no passion but are going through the motions.

Moar

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Goose loses a draw and the Devils make a great play and score. Every player on the ice gets a minus (Weber/Regehr included) even though they didn't make a mistake leading to the goal. It drives me ****ing nuts when posters make an arguement based soley on +/-. Its analytical laziness.
Agreed, +/- is the most useless statistic by far of any of the main statistics tracked and used.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:08 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Agreed. Let him be a physical bottom pairing guy who plays the second PK unit for a while. To his credit, he and Kaleta caused the mismatch that led to the Leopold goal.

Anyway, on to the GBU.
Good:
Myers
Brodeur
Vanek had a strong game on the forecheck. He and Poms created a lot.
Boyes/Leino/Stafford's zone time.

Bad:
Roy- I liked the first line a lot more when Pominville was the one doing most of the difficult defensive zone coverage. He was chasing the puck in his own zone a lot, blew the 2 on 1 with Pominville and had a couple really dumb turnovers because he tried to do too much.
Ehrhoff- Lazy.
Boyes/Leino/Stafford's finishing ability.
Ruff's pairings and his use of them.
Pominville as the 6th man.
Enroth. No big saves.

Ugly:
Effort level early.
More awful defensive zone breakdowns.
Another shorty.
Finish finish finish, and I'm not talking about the country.

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
It's not really the loss, it's the cumulative effort that the team is putting forth, it's a culmination of the entire season, underachievement, lazy play, this team will not get out of the first round unless they get a favorable matchup. Look how they responded to the hit on Miller, aren't they supposed to have each others backs? A team that doesn't believe in each other will go nowhere, who knows what the problem is.
Oh please...

It's way too early to be complaining about this ****. I saw the second half of the game, and they battled. New Jersey just capatilized, and Brodeur was SOLID. There's went in, ours didn't. The effort was there. It was a tough game. It wasn't a lack of effort game. Do you even remember games back in 07-08? Horrid efforts. Much softer than our team now. They're trying out there. They just need to get their chemistry down.

It's early...back away from the cliff. Ottawa in 06-07 went through the same hardships. Questionable effort, soft, blah, blah, blah. The point is, almost every team battles through adversity through out the season. Just get it done when it counts. In the Spring.

This reminds me of last November when everyone was jumping off the cliff. Atleast now everyone believes they'll make the playoffs...

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:09 PM
5 Minute Major

I will say this....we REALLY need to start getting some scoring from someone (forwards) other than our first line.

Tonight, all 3 goals were by d-men.

Stafford is starting to bug me a bit.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:12 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Why are Weber/Regehr playing together anyway?? They should each be paired with one of the 35 offensive defensemen we dress every night.

And people wonder why jame and I have not liked the guy for so long. (Ruff, not Weber)

I can criticize him without hating him or thinking he needs to be fired. Whereas you don't like him and take every opportunity you can to bash him. I think much of your bashing is ridiculous.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:29 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
The confusing

Ruff's use of Weber. He hardly dresses but when he does he has gone against Giroux/Jagr and tonight Parise/Kovolchuk.

Whether Weber should be out against those guys is one thing. But if Ruff wants him out against that level of opponent. How is he not playing more?

Like I said its very confusing.
Agreed. Ruff is not putting him in a position where he can succeed--it's almost like he's looking for an excuse to put in Grags, and can manufacture it by making Weber look bad. I know it seems farfetched...but the "keep Grags RFA" thing just keeps nagging at me.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:29 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
The confusing

Ruff's use of Weber. He hardly dresses but when he does he has gone against Giroux/Jagr and tonight Parise/Kovolchuk.

Whether Weber should be out against those guys is one thing. But if Ruff wants him out against that level of opponent. How is he not playing more?

Like I said its very confusing.
Everything Ruff has done this year in regards to lineup/lines/pairings has been a cluster **** of stupid.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:31 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I can criticize him without hating him or thinking he needs to be fired. Whereas you don't like him and take every opportunity you can to bash him. I think much of your bashing is ridiculous.
it's when he's criticized by others and you disagree with that criticism, that you end up labeling others "haters"... it gets old.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

I didn't see this one. Looks like it was more of the same.

I don't honestly know how we have a winning record over the last few weeks. They've just looked horrible and disinterested.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:40 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

I have seen weber play with more confidence then he did tonight. Who knows what they are doing on defense. i have been lobbying for morrisonn.

ImpressedDAHagent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:43 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post

I don't honestly know how we have a winning record over the last few weeks. They've just looked horrible and disinterested.
it was brodeur night in buffalo.

ImpressedDAHagent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:45 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Just back.

The Good -

- Brodeur was outstanding
- Myers. Strong physical game, but would like to see the hit on Zubrus again since they didn't show any replay of it in the rink nor is it part of the highlights package. I wonder if he's facing the Shanaban. The goals, much like a great deal of his play was decisive tonight.
- Boyes continues to impress with his energy and hard work. He jumpstarted Leino and Stafford. A broken stick on the eventual Clarkson goal looked like a glorious opportunity, one of several he had tonight.
- Tropp. High energy and hit everything.
- Ehrhoff getting some late bombs on net... that went through Brodeur...

The Bad -

-...but didn't go in.
- Pominville had problems passing the puck and blew the shortie as the third man coming in and completely mis-played it.
- Vanek with a dumb penalty at the end of a long shift. Stop with the bad offensive zone penalties Tom.
- Roy got schooled repeatedly tonight. Late on the shortie (though he was the fourth man coming back, against two Devils...), walked around on the PP goal, and then missed it off the boards for one of the others.
- Adam. Stop being a passenger. Wake up kid, you are killing every line you are on.
- Weber weak on the wall leading to a goal against. A couple of giveaways, some bad gap, and screening on several goals. Back to the pressbox for you. This is not the guy who finished last season.

The Ugly -

- Can this team play basic hockey -- and play it well -- to start a home game?

11-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post

We should trade for Montadore back..

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Probably get roasted but I don't think the Sabres played all that bad of a game. Just fell behind early and Jersey seemed like they had their share of fortune tonight and the good guys didn't.

On to the weekend.
Brodeur was the difference. He stoned them on at least seven glorious chances. A different 'tender in there and this might have been a barn-burner.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:08 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

The Myers hit for everyone that missed it.

Old
11-17-2011, 12:14 AM
Ted Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
Oh please...

It's way too early to be complaining about this ****. I saw the second half of the game, and they battled. New Jersey just capatilized, and Brodeur was SOLID. There's went in, ours didn't. The effort was there. It was a tough game. It wasn't a lack of effort game. Do you even remember games back in 07-08? Horrid efforts. Much softer than our team now. They're trying out there. They just need to get their chemistry down.

It's early...back away from the cliff. Ottawa in 06-07 went through the same hardships. Questionable effort, soft, blah, blah, blah. The point is, almost every team battles through adversity through out the season. Just get it done when it counts. In the Spring.

This reminds me of last November when everyone was jumping off the cliff. Atleast now everyone believes they'll make the playoffs...
This.

Quit your pity party and wake up people. What he said ^

Ted Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:15 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
Yea, but if I'm remembering correctly, Weber also did a great job of screening Enroth on two goals.
Save it. Goalies have to fight through screens every single game. They're part of the game.

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:21 AM
MLH

Quote:
Goose loses a draw and the Devils make a great play and score. Every player on the ice gets a minus (Weber/Regehr included) even though they didn't make a mistake leading to the goal. It drives me ****ing nuts when posters make an arguement based soley on +/-. Its analytical laziness.
Weber tried to clear the front of the net. He eventually did, but the puck was in the net by that time because Enroth couldn't see through him. And the second goal they were on the ice for was obviously Weber's fault on the shanked clear giveaway up the boards. That's to say nothing of the screen on the PP goal or the general carelessness with the puck. So yeah, Weber had a rough game regardless of +/-.

Last edited by MLH: 11-17-2011 at 12:27 AM.
MLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:25 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I really didn't think we played horrendously, which seems weird because I never felt like we were in the game at any point. I thought Brodeur played great, the usual suspects turned in poor performances, and we can't score outside our top line.

Disappointing:

- Luke Adam. MIA
- Ville Leino

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:26 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post

The Myers hit for everyone that missed it.
Principle point of contact is Zubie's head. Shanaban coming.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:30 AM
sabresfan129103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Principle point of contact is Zubie's head. Shanaban coming.
can't Myers just say he didn't mean to hit him in the head. Lying seems to be the best course of action when it comes to Shanahan. Although Buffalo isn't a big market, so they may decide to make an example out of us.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:31 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I really didn't think we played horrendously, which seems weird because I never felt like we were in the game at any point. I thought Brodeur played great, the usual suspects turned in poor performances, and we can't score outside our top line.

Disappointing:

- Luke Adam. MIA
- Ville Leino
I'm surprised so many people didn't like Leino's game tonight. I thought he was tenacious on the forecheck, didn't shy away from the physical stuff (even initiated a bit) and even stirred the pot a little in post whistle scrums. Displayed good offensive instincts again as well.

This was one of his better performances of the season, I thought.

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:41 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I'm surprised so many people didn't like Leino's game tonight. I thought he was tenacious on the forecheck, didn't shy away from the physical stuff (even initiated a bit) and even stirred the pot a little in post whistle scrums. Displayed good offensive instincts again as well.

I thought he did a very good job of forechecking/puck control, especially when he got moved over to center. It's just that nobody on that line can finish right now.

Old
11-17-2011, 12:44 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post

I completely agree, the physical stuff in particular kind of stuck out to me. I noticed two or three times he actually kind of went out of his way to make sure he finished his check. I thought he had a pretty strong game all around tonight.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote