HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wherein we hate them again tonight.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-16-2011, 11:46 PM
  #76
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Principle point of contact is Zubie's head. Shanaban coming.
Eh.

I think you might be right...

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:49 PM
  #77
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,572
vCash: 500
Malone didn't get suspended for hitting Campoli, who was in a similar position. I guess there's hope?

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:04 AM
  #78
jflory81
Irken Elite
 
jflory81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 20,512
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
I didn't think it was a bad effort at all. Their goalie was great, ours was awful, and the result is rather predictable.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:21 AM
  #79
buffalowing88
Registered User
 
buffalowing88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,428
vCash: 500
I'm of the opinion that Weber's footspeed will be what ultimately prevents him from ever being anything more than a #6 defenseman. I appreciate his toughness but he just doesen't have the ability to stop and go that is crucial for NHL defensemen.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:30 AM
  #80
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,572
vCash: 500
My issue with Weber is that he's kinda light for his height. Johnny Boychuk in Boston is the same height but 14 pounds heavier, much more able to out-muscle guys along the boards/in front of the net and a significantly better hitter/fighter.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:39 AM
  #81
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,595
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
can't Myers just say he didn't mean to hit him in the head. Lying seems to be the best course of action when it comes to Shanahan. Although Buffalo isn't a big market, so they may decide to make an example out of us.
Nah, I think after Ruff's comments the other day, Shanny can be petty AND enforce his other mandate at the same time. 2-3 games in the pressbox wouldn't surprise me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I'm surprised so many people didn't like Leino's game tonight. I thought he was tenacious on the forecheck, didn't shy away from the physical stuff (even initiated a bit) and even stirred the pot a little in post whistle scrums. Displayed good offensive instincts again as well.

This was one of his better performances of the season, I thought.
I thought he was fine, especially once Boyes moved up and the Lurker slid down to the fourth line.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 01:58 AM
  #82
buffalowing88
Registered User
 
buffalowing88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
My issue with Weber is that he's kinda light for his height. Johnny Boychuk in Boston is the same height but 14 pounds heavier, much more able to out-muscle guys along the boards/in front of the net and a significantly better hitter/fighter.
Good point

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:01 AM
  #83
Disenfranchised*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
I didn't think it was a bad effort at all. Their goalie was great, ours was awful, and the result is rather predictable.
It's time we stop using our goaltenders as a crutch to explain a loss. The fact is this team doesn't play with intensity, heart, and seems to lack a desire to win at times. They aren't physical along the boards and often seem to avoid contact whenever possible. You can't win a cup with this attitude so naturally I think an overhaul of the forwards in particular is necessary.

Disenfranchised* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:04 AM
  #84
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 26,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognito View Post
It's time we stop using our goaltenders as a crutch to explain a loss. The fact is this team doesn't play with intensity, heart, and seems to lack a desire to win at times. They aren't physical along the boards and often seem to avoid contact whenever possible. You can't win a cup with this attitude so naturally I think an overhaul of the forwards in particular is necessary.
Not that I thought tonight was "poor goaltending"... but pointing out when the goalie has a subpar game is not considered "a crutch".

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:10 AM
  #85
jflory81
Irken Elite
 
jflory81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 20,512
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognito View Post
It's time we stop using our goaltenders as a crutch to explain a loss. The fact is this team doesn't play with intensity, heart, and seems to lack a desire to win at times. They aren't physical along the boards and often seem to avoid contact whenever possible. You can't win a cup with this attitude so naturally I think an overhaul of the forwards in particular is necessary.
Buffalo outplayed New Jersey tonight, and got out-goaltended. That's not a crutch, that's what happened. I really didn't have an issue with the player's effort tonight - it's a rare night indeed when you can completely shut down and dominate an NHL team. For the most part, teams are going to get scoring chances.

At one point in the 2nd period when the Sabres were down 2 goals, VS had the scoring chances as 13-6 Buffalo, and I didn't think the tenor of the game changed that much as it went - if anything, Buffalo got stronger as the game went on. Enroth has to find a way to make the save on the Elias and Parise goals (one where he was way out but was off his angle, and the other just got through him), and it's not like the other's were unstoppable. Most of NJ's chances went in the net tonight. It's not like Jersey was coming in waves.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:16 AM
  #86
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Buffalo outplayed New Jersey tonight, and got out-goaltended.
Was Enroth bad or Broduer just great? Or both?

(didn't see the game, only highlights, didn't seem to me like Enroth had a chance on any of the goals except maybe the first one... which was also a defensive collapse)

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:18 AM
  #87
jflory81
Irken Elite
 
jflory81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 20,512
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Was Enroth bad or Broduer just great? Or both?

(didn't see the game, only highlights, didn't seem to me like Enroth had a chance on any of the goals except maybe the first one... which was also a defensive collapse)
Both. I wouldn't call ANY of the goals "no-chancers", though I'd only call the 1st and 4th (the one's described above) "soft". Those were probably the goals Enroth was referring to in the post game when he referenced a couple of goals he has to have. Jersey really didn't have many good scoring chances tonight - that they got to 5 is not a good referendum on Enroth's game tonight.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:22 AM
  #88
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 26,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Both. I wouldn't call ANY of the goals "no-chancers", though I'd only call the 1st and 4th (the one's described above) "soft". Those were probably the goals Enroth was referring to in the post game when he referenced a couple of goals he has to have. Jersey really didn't have many good scoring chances tonight - that they got to 5 is not a good referendum on Enroth's game tonight.
Parise goal was soft. Kovalchuk goal was a snipe. He wasn't in prime form, but we couldn't capitalize on enough of our chances to win.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:26 AM
  #89
jflory81
Irken Elite
 
jflory81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 20,512
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Parise goal was soft. Kovalchuk goal was a snipe. He wasn't in prime form, but we couldn't capitalize on enough of our chances to win.
The Kovy goal was probably the one I had the least problem with (along with the breakaway goal), but I wouldn't call that shot "unstoppable". The angle's severe enough that you can cut down the angle and give Kovy much less room to shoot than he had on that play. Enroth seemed to be off his angles far too often tonight.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:51 AM
  #90
Squantosawuss
Registered User
 
Squantosawuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: B-lo
Country: Angola
Posts: 1,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
Dude, they're tied for the lead in their division. They were top 3 in the conference.
Not to single you out, but I often see this type of "don't worry, look how good they're doing" reference to the standings...and it's often misleading and misguided.

While many fans love to overplay their situation and downplay others, the reality is that the Sabres are two losses away from falling into 10th place. TENTH! Keep in mind: most of the top 10 teams in the East are only seperated by 1-3 points...and most of them have 1-2 games-in-hand on the Sabres.

So it's great to say they're second in the conference, but NYR & Flyers are only 4th & 5th because Penz are 1st---and all have more points than Buffalo. And as far as the division, tied with Toronto? Ok, I feel better now

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:52 AM
  #91
sabresandcanucks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
The Kovy goal was probably the one I had the least problem with (along with the breakaway goal), but I wouldn't call that shot "unstoppable". The angle's severe enough that you can cut down the angle and give Kovy much less room to shoot than he had on that play. Enroth seemed to be off his angles far too often tonight.
I agree,

Enroth is so small that he needs to come out and challenge the shooter or he runs the risk of snipers picking him apart...His positioning was poor on the third goal as well...I like the kid, but I think we are about to experience his weaknesses in more detail now that he is the go to guy with Miller out.

It's too bad Myers will likely get suspended for the hit tonight. He played such a strong game and addressed his lack of physicality...only to potentially be punished for doing so.

Unlike many on here I thought Adam was fine and ought to have been put up with the top line. Roy was a mess tonight, and had been having success with Stafford and Leino previously...I know he had the third period comeback in Montreal, but this team cannot expect to win with just one line producing...they need to keep Roy on the second line to provide support if Vanek or Pommers fail to create offensively.

Leino looks to be getting better...but he still is too soft on the puck at times for my liking.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 03:01 AM
  #92
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
The Kovy goal was probably the one I had the least problem with (along with the breakaway goal), but I wouldn't call that shot "unstoppable". The angle's severe enough that you can cut down the angle and give Kovy much less room to shoot than he had on that play. Enroth seemed to be off his angles far too often tonight.
Did Enroth even see the puck on the Kovy goal?

NHL highlights didn't show a replay from a different angle, but it seemed like Kovy used Weber as a screen there.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 03:04 AM
  #93
jflory81
Irken Elite
 
jflory81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 20,512
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
Not to single you out, but I often see this type of "don't worry, look how good they're doing" reference to the standings...and it's often misleading and misguided.

While many fans love to overplay their situation and downplay others, the reality is that the Sabres are two losses away from falling into 10th place. TENTH! Keep in mind: most of the top 10 teams in the East are only seperated by 1-3 points...and most of them have 1-2 games-in-hand on the Sabres.

So it's great to say they're second in the conference, but NYR & Flyers are only 4th & 5th because Penz are 1st---and all have more points than Buffalo. And as far as the division, tied with Toronto? Ok, I feel better now
That's not the reality at all. You can't just assume that every other team will win all of their games as we lose. Two losses would put us 2 games over .500 (easiest/fairest way to compare teams with slightly unequal games as games over .500 corresponds exactly to total points at the end of the year). That would put us 7th/8th: still behind WSH, NYR, PIT, PHI (same as now, they range from 5 to 7 over), we'd fall out of a tie with FLA and TOR (4 over), and Jersey would be tied with us at 2 over.

The reality is that with all the complaining that goes on around here, that they ARE in fact tied for 5th in winning % in the East, and would be the 3rd seed based on the tiebreaker if the playoffs started today (based on winning %, not points). Why would you assume two losses, anyway? They could just as easily win both if Jhonas's start tonight was an abberation and be closer to the top 4 than the middle of the pack at the end of the weekend.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 03:06 AM
  #94
jflory81
Irken Elite
 
jflory81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 20,512
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Did Enroth even see the puck on the Kovy goal?

NHL highlights didn't show a replay from a different angle, but it seemed like Kovy used Weber as a screen there.
I didn't get the impression that he was screened, but that wouldn't really apply to what I said anyway. He's still got to get the angle right; being screened would simply prevent him from making any kind of reaction save.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 03:33 AM
  #95
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,572
vCash: 500
I think part of it is that the guy's small, so when he's off on his angles, he's going to get victimized for it a lot more than a big dude might. Especially when you're dealing with someone as accurate as Kovalchuk.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:26 AM
  #96
BowieSabresFan
Registered User
 
BowieSabresFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Save it. Goalies have to fight through screens every single game. They're part of the game.
Not sure why the angst, but... On the second goal there was no way he could fight through the screen, because Weber was several feet in front of him. On the other goal Weber screened Enroth on, there again was not any opportunity to fight through the screen. It's all well and good to say what you did, but it was hardly feasible for Enroth to actually perform said action. Besides, you shouldn't have to fight through your own player's screen.

To sum up, while Weber was ok tonight, he did make mistakes and was not hugely impressive.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:26 AM
  #97
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Malone didn't get suspended for hitting Campoli, who was in a similar position. I guess there's hope?
That and Myers' lack of history with hits like this should help his cause with Shanahan.

Perhaps we need to get Tyler to be prepped by whomever prepared Lucic for his call with Shanny to be convincing.


WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:27 AM
  #98
BowieSabresFan
Registered User
 
BowieSabresFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Did Enroth even see the puck on the Kovy goal?

NHL highlights didn't show a replay from a different angle, but it seemed like Kovy used Weber as a screen there.
That was my impression as well. To me, neither Roy or Weber shined on that goal.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:30 AM
  #99
BowieSabresFan
Registered User
 
BowieSabresFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Everything Ruff has done this year in regards to lineup/lines/pairings has been a cluster **** of stupid.
You mean like in the Montreal game, when he put Roy, Pominville and Vanek on the same line for the third period and double shifted them? How did that game work out, and how did that line do during the third period?

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:47 AM
  #100
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
Not sure why the angst, but... On the second goal there was no way he could fight through the screen, because Weber was several feet in front of him. On the other goal Weber screened Enroth on, there again was not any opportunity to fight through the screen. It's all well and good to say what you did, but it was hardly feasible for Enroth to actually perform said action. Besides, you shouldn't have to fight through your own player's screen.

To sum up, while Weber was ok tonight, he did make mistakes and was not hugely impressive.
I'm not blaming Enroth for the goal either. You're right, he was screened. You're right, it was Weber. But I refuse to shoulder the blame on Weber in those situations. Screens happen. They're part of the game.

I'm not saying that he played great by any means. I'm more arguing with zamboni, who claimed that Web/Reg were bad.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.