Value & price of Nik Antropov

Old
11-17-2011, 12:07 AM
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART

vCash: 500
Value & price of Nik Antropov

Hi all, Sabres fan coming in peace ,

I was just curious what, in your opinions Winnipeg's asking price would be for Nik if he was willing to waive his NTC to go to Buffalo?

What are the Jets' needs presently? keeping in mind there would have to be =/+ salary coming back to you guys. Thoughts???

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:18 AM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

vCash: 50
Antropov is playing at a very high level right now. He is one of our best forwards, using his size and skill and mentoring Burmistrov. I feel like whatever we would want for him you wouldn't be willing to give up.

He is a very important piece of this team.

11-17-2011, 12:22 AM
mondo3

vCash: 571
imo since we're in a rebuilding phase, we'd want someone 18-24 with "potential", preferably but not limited to, a forward. Anyone on Buffalo fit that bill? I agree that we don't particularly want to give him up, so it would have to be a good offer.

Last edited by mondo3: 11-17-2011 at 12:30 AM.
mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:27 AM
HPsauce

vCash: 566
Myers

But all kidding aside, I agree with Jet. He's too valuable to us.

HPsauce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:32 AM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Antropov is playing at a very high level right now. He is one of our best forwards, using his size and skill and mentoring Burmistrov. I feel like whatever we would want for him you wouldn't be willing to give up.

He is a very important piece of this team.
Agreed. Blitz, one of our team's main challenges is improving their consistency. Antro is easily one of our most consistent guys on-ice, and that combined with the value of taking Burmi under his wing is pretty darn key to our growth. I don't see what would reasonably offered that's worth shaking that up at this juncture, or the foreseeable future.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:33 AM
Inflict
Viking

According to TSN, his point projection is around 60 points. Antropov also is sitting at a 10.71 shooting percentage which is the lowest it has ever been since his rookie year. The reason why I mention this is because he is still on pace to reach some of his best point totals in his career (67 points was his best) and he should only get better as he become more familiar with the system.

That being said, he is playing a great all around game for us, and like Jet mentioned, it would take a great deal to pry him from this organization. If we were to trade him, I would expect a top prospect plus a draft pick in in the first 3 rounds.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:40 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

All good points by my fellow Jets posters.

knowing that every organization needs to look to improve dealing Nic for the right value might make sense but not this year. The Winnipeg Jets are trying to define themselves and what they stand for inside our dressing room, community, and the league at large. Do we really want to be known as the small market team that flipped their best forward (to date)? We are trying to build a culture and Nic is one of the key veterans and to me moving him would send all the wrong messages to the guys on our team that we want to lock up long term eventually.

Now Blitz can we interest you in our top scoring defenseman that was in the all-star game last year

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

I'll take Vanek please.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:54 AM
Prot

vCash: 100

one..... MILLION dollars.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 11-17-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: press Youtube button, enter all characters after '=' sign between the tags :)
Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:07 AM
almostawake

Of all the guys we inherited I thought Antro would be the one I'd hate the most.

I'm very surprised that I like him so much now.

He has consistently worked hard and has crazy skill for a guy his size. I can't see him being traded for anything reasonable.

almostawake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 09:26 AM
jamiebez

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
Of all the guys we inherited I thought Antro would be the one I'd hate the most.

I'm very surprised that I like him so much now.

He has consistently worked hard and has crazy skill for a guy his size. I can't see him being traded for anything reasonable.
Totally agree here. I was a Sens fan so I was pre-inclined to hate him and Wellwood Now they're 2 of the 3 best forwards on the team.

I'll also add that he really uses his size very well. He hits more than I remembered from his Leafs days, but more than that - he protects the puck very, very well. Tough to knock him off it.

To the OP: Antropov's value to the Jets is at an all-time high right now. If you'd asked in the off-season, I would have been happy with Boyes. Now it would probably take Roy (even as much as we all hate him after last week's dive ).

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 09:41 AM
WaveRaven

This team ain't winning anything anytime soon so I'd listen to any trade offers for any and all veterans if it meets our long term goals.

I don't think Buf is going to give away a blue chip prospect for #80 ? That's only thing I'd be looking for but if they are ..... I'd do it in a nano second.

WaveRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 09:51 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
From Winnipeg:
Antropov

From Buffalo:
Time Machine
28 year old Dale Hawerchuck

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Antropov sucking last year was entirely injury related. he never was healthy from hip surgery. he was our best player his first year in ATL and looks like that guy again this year.

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:27 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Antropov is too important for the development of Burmistrov, both on and off the ice. His value to the Jets is much higher than his value to any other team for this reason.

Antropov was my least favorite Jet at the beginning of the season but after watching him play he has become one of my favorites. He's way better than when he played for the Leafs. He crashes the net now (and pissed off Roloson the other night doing so) and is incredibly strong on the puck.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:41 AM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveRaven View Post
This team ain't winning anything anytime soon so I'd listen to any trade offers for any and all veterans if it meets our long term goals.

I don't think Buf is going to give away a blue chip prospect for #80 ? That's only thing I'd be looking for but if they are ..... I'd do it in a nano second.
I've read a lot of this over the last few days, so my comments are not directed solely at you, but...

Very few top notch players have ever realized their potential after starting their career in a chronic losing situation. In fact, there are several cases in which just that can probably be pointed to as the primary reason the player flopped.

Talent is important but what it takes to be an effective NHLer goes so far beyond that. Having good people, leader and teachers, in the dressing room is critical to our young players figuring out what it takes and this franchise (eventually) becoming a winner.

Our roster has no shortage of young talent. The key now is to get those players to realize their potential. If we don't develop Kane, Bogosian, Burmistrov, Little, etc. there is no number of fringe prospects and late picks (that we could get for our veterans) that will make this team a winner.

If a veteran is playing poorly, or is lazy on the ice, or is bad in the room, dump him ASAP. But until the deadline, if a guy is setting a proper example for the youngsters he is far more critical to this team than any thing another team would reasonably offer.

almostawake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:29 AM
PostmanPat1919

Regarding Antropov's value, it's very high at the moment. Buffalo would probably be forced to deal more than they'd probably want to in order to land him, but he's an enormously important part of the Jets' roster at the moment and would require a significant return.

He's an important veteran presence on this team and his mentorship of Burmistrov both on and off the ice is well known in Winnipeg circles at this point. Winnipeg becomes very weak at Centre without him around.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Hi all, Sabres fan coming in peace ,

I was just curious what, in your opinions Winnipeg's asking price would be for Nik if he was willing to waive his NTC to go to Buffalo?

What are the Jets' needs presently? keeping in mind there would have to be =/+ salary coming back to you guys. Thoughts???
I think that's precisely why such a deal would never happen with Buffalo.

I could maybe see the Jets making a move at the trade deadline if they figure we're out of the playoffs. Antropov is a UFA after 12/13 and if he indicates he's not interested in signing with us again, you trade him while he still has value.

But in that kind of move you're looking for prospects / picks, which are going to come at a lot less than $4mil / year. And with Buffalo being right up against the cap, they can't make that kind of deal.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:24 PM
WaveRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
I've read a lot of this over the last few days, so my comments are not directed solely at you, but...

Very few top notch players have ever realized their potential after starting their career in a chronic losing situation. In fact, there are several cases in which just that can probably be pointed to as the primary reason the player flopped.

Talent is important but what it takes to be an effective NHLer goes so far beyond that. Having good people, leader and teachers, in the dressing room is critical to our young players figuring out what it takes and this franchise (eventually) becoming a winner.

Our roster has no shortage of young talent. The key now is to get those players to realize their potential. If we don't develop Kane, Bogosian, Burmistrov, Little, etc. there is no number of fringe prospects and late picks (that we could get for our veterans) that will make this team a winner.

If a veteran is playing poorly, or is lazy on the ice, or is bad in the room, dump him ASAP. But until the deadline, if a guy is setting a proper example for the youngsters he is far more critical to this team than any thing another team would reasonably offer.
So we need these veterans but only until the trade dealine they it's ok to let them go ? We either need them or we don't.

I not saying gut the team of vets I'm saying if we get a future need for a guy that won't be around when the winning starts do it !

This team needs scoring punch in the future where are we get that from ? Not #80. If anyone was willing to give up a true blue chip prospect that has scoring potential especially up the middle, we'd be nuts not to do it because we are going nowhere fast. We can always pick up journeymen.

WaveRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveRaven View Post
I not saying gut the team of vets I'm saying if we get a future need for a guy that won't be around when the winning starts do it !
Aye, but as long as you're making sure you're not moving vets who are crucial to getting us to the point where the winning *does* start. Otherwise you're kinda shooting yourself in the foot.

It's why I don't see us moving these key vet guys right now for anything but extroardinarily juicy offers, TBH -- establishing the team identity and winning culture seems job #1 from what we've seen and what we've been told. They're crucial to that, and pulling out the tent pegs could just put us back aways.

Oh man I love that we're having this discussion.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Joe Hallenback

Zach Kassian and 2012 2nd

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Zach Kassian and 2012 2nd
I don't know Kassian well enough to know if that's a good deal or not, but the Sabres are actually a hair over the cap right now (not sure how that works). They could not possibly take on Antro's $4mil salary without somehow dumping $4mil somewhere else - and trading a prospect and a pick doesn't dump any salary whatsoever.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Hawker14

Too important as a mentor for Burmistrov.

The intangibles Antropov brings right now can't be adequately reflected in a trade.

And I agree with everyone else, he grows on you big time !

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART

So would something like this get it done?

To

C/W Nik Antropov ($4.063M)

Sabres get a needed, big-bodied forward to improve their lacking physical game.

Vanek-Roy-Pominville
Ennis-Antropov-Stafford
Leino-Adam-Kaleta
Gerbe-Gaustad-McCormick
X: Ellis, LTIR:Hecht

To

RW/C Brad Boyes ($4M UFA)
RW Corey Tropp ($700K)
2012 2ND RND pick

Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Kane-Burmistrov-Boyes
Glass-Slater-Wellwood
Jaffrey-Stapleton-Fehr
X: Tropp

Jets get a top-6 RW in Boyes (55 pts last year STL/BUF), an excellent forward prospect in 22 year old Corey Tropp (who is near NHL-ready) & a 2nd RND pick this year.

Thoughts?

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

well antro did score the first goal, i dont know if that'll play into it at all?

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote