HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Smyth/Fraser saga comes to an end Oiler cough up money for medical expenses

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2011, 11:29 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I'm satisfied with the settlement.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
11-16-2011, 11:32 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
This is the equivalent of someone going to McDonalds and complaining at epic levels, holding up the drive thru line because they stopped serving breakfast at 10:30am when it's 10:31am and they end up with a soggy hashbrown made at 10:14am that was just about to get tossed in the trash as a consolation and then they celebrate as if they just won the lottery as they take a bite of the worst hashbrown they've eaten in their lives.
Call it what you want (even though your analogy is wrong), point is Tambellini got caught trying to pull a fast one and had to fork over some $ for it. If you were accused of stealing when you didn't, would you agree to pay half the amount or whould you fight the charge? I'd fight it if I didn't do it, why should I be viewed as guilty for something I never did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Don't hate on us because you were given food out of the trash. It was your fault for holding up the drive-thru line.

Quote:
In the end it was bad publicity for both sides and the settlement is the equivalent of a drop in the bucket. This should've never gone public in the first place IMO.
Agreed it shouldn't have went public but you can leave that with your own GM. If Tambs had traded fair in the first place, there'd be nothing to argue about. His refusal to do anything to correct the issue left DL little choice but to fill with the league and comment on it when questioned by the media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
You weren't rewarded anything. This was a case of the Oilers feeling bad for taking you to the cleaners twice and throwing your GM a bone so he could feel like a champ to your fans. It never went to the league.
Yeah, that's it. "We screwed you in some trades, so here's some $ to help soften the blow." If not, then maybe you should ask how many times Tambs has had pity money tossed his way. Dude should be a multi-million by now with his great legacy of moves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
This was settled by the GM's, without the league arbirator, so its not like the league even gave any official ruling. So no, its not on the Oilers, it was a mutual, "let's just forget it". And neither GM looked good in this ordeal. You guys can scream "liar" all you want, but it still doesn't change the fact that Lombardi didn't request a physical and should have. Due dilligence.
If DL didn't do the due dilegence, then why is Tambs giving any money? If it's DL's fault, why would Tambs pay anything/ And if he just wanted to make it go away, why wait several months and then pay it just hours before the meeting with Bettman?

Tambs tried to pull a fast one and got caught by a more experienced GM. It's not enough DL tried to do a solid for Smyth, but Tambs also has to get greedy and stick the Oilers with some medical bills. Glad DL had the balls to stick to this and at leat force the Oilers to pay for something.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 11-16-2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: edited out flaming
Old
11-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
So here's how this is going to go.

First and foremost it must be said this is the LA Kings forum, it is here for Kings fans to discuss Kings related news. Kings fans don't want nor need to read a bunch of other teams fans bashing on our squad on our forum, that's what the general forums are for. The Edmonton forum is another place Oiler fans can bash on our GM and squad if they want, but if you're saying one thing there and one thing here that may not turn out so well.

Second, everybody is welcome if they treat Kings fans like they are welcome as well. If anyone feels like they can't or don't want to play well with others, please abstain. Fan bashing of any kind isn't allowed.

Third, anyone who doesn't want to behave from this point on will be booted from this thread or this forum for a time which will be determined on a case by case basis.

So, here we go, if there is anything left to be said, feel free.

Old
11-17-2011, 12:38 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
So here's how this is going to go.

First and foremost it must be said this is the LA Kings forum, it is here for Kings fans to discuss Kings related news. Kings fans don't want nor need to read a bunch of other teams fans bashing on our squad on our forum, that's what the general forums are for. The Edmonton forum is another place Oiler fans can bash on our GM and squad if they want, but if you're saying one thing there and one thing here that may not turn out so well.

Second, everybody is welcome if they treat Kings fans like they are welcome as well. If anyone feels like they can't or don't want to play well with others, please abstain. Fan bashing of any kind isn't allowed.

Third, anyone who doesn't want to behave from this point on will be booted from this thread or this forum for a time which will be determined on a case by case basis.

So, here we go, if there is anything left to be said, feel free.
Tambo is a LIAR. there done.

Old
11-17-2011, 12:43 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

The move, DL taking the problem public, was not about money for medical expenses. It was about making Tambellini look like some kind of dishonest scheister to the rest of GM brethren so that it will affect every single possible deal in the future. In a contest where there are often no prizes for 2nd place (the Kings would know, we've come in second or third in many deals, especially top UFAs, we've wanted to cut for a star forward the last couple of years...in other words we got no deals done).

Now whether or not the GMs actually care, that's another thing and something we won't be able to tell. But you can guarantee at least one GM in the future who is considering dealing with Edmonton will scrutinize every asset coming from the Oil more.

- R

Old
11-17-2011, 12:50 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The bet was that the league wouldnt rule in the King's favour, which they didnt, so I didnt lose anything.
but you were willing to collect when the league hadn't ruled anything at all?

Old
11-17-2011, 12:57 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Can we just move on. This was a dark eye for both organizations.

My only hope from all of this is that DL will no longer make any trades for any of his beloved Oilers. Every ex-Oiler with the exception of Greene has been god awful for the Kings.

It's as if the hockey gods are slowly making us pay for the Gretzky trade.

GO KINGS

Old
11-17-2011, 01:01 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
In the end it was bad publicity for both sides and the settlement is the equivalent of a drop in the bucket. This should've never gone public in the first place IMO.
How exactly was it bad for the team that made a deal in good faith?

The fact that there was compensation awarded to the Kings says all that needs saying about who was in the right.

Not a big deal though, and in the end Fraser looks like he can be a solid addition and we'll take Gagne over Smyth at this point in their careers.

Old
11-17-2011, 01:05 AM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

Awesome! the co-pay finally gets paid off. im sure DL was sick of getting calls from debt collection agencies

Old
11-17-2011, 01:08 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
To be honest for a moment?

Why did DL take it to the league if it was just summer banter?

It was a simple case of a GM that got cleaned up in some trades and then pissed and moaned about it for two + months in the media. If he was that sure he had a case he wouldn't have folded over a couple G's. And please don't tell me he's playing the I'm the bigger man card 'cause he was the only one complaining about the trade in the first place.

Glad it's done and so am I.
Good to know you count as 2 people somehow. But anywho this ISNT about you supposedly winning 2 trades. Id sure as heck rather have Gagne for cheaper than a wanting to go to Edmonton Smyth. And you got Teubert......if youre happy about that thats funny. This is about a playing not being in the condition as told, not about trades. You may think like GMing is for 2 year olds but its not.

And why would Tambo want to give up anything if he did nothing wrong? Its not some make it up and end it when you wouldnt have had to give anything up

Old
11-17-2011, 01:10 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
IF the king do the original deal--this does not happen--it is only when the KINGS changed the deal things went sideways.
You realize the Kings were only going to buy out Brule right? Which would not be able to happen due to Brules issues at the time, so they HAD to change it

Old
11-17-2011, 01:18 AM
Johnny Utah

The only problem with the Smyth trade is that we traded Kyle Quincey in the beginning to get him. Though we pawned off an awful contract in Tom Preissing that had 2 years left...I still can't believe the Av's took that.

The Smyth deal doesn't bother me, he wanted to leave, he was making big money (6.5 cap hit) and was/is 34-35 years old...we replaced him with a younger, cheaper Gagne...Now the Penner deal...that's a whole different ball game...

Old
11-17-2011, 01:20 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
How exactly was it bad for the team that made a deal in good faith?

The fact that there was compensation awarded to the Kings says all that needs saying about who was in the right.

Not a big deal though, and in the end Fraser looks like he can be a solid addition and we'll take Gagne over Smyth at this point in their careers.
It looks badly because any GM that deals with Lombardi knows that if everything doesn't go 100% to plan that Lombardi will air the dirty laundry. That is how I would look at it. If Tambellini did indeed lie then it will be noted by other teams, however IMO both GM's walked out of this with negative attention rightly or wrongly. That said it's over and done with, both parties agreed to a settlement and truth be told it's best for both parties to run as fast and far away from this issue as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
B.S.

This is the equivalent of an NHL G.M. LYING about the physical condition of a player involved in a deal and the NHL doing what it thought was alright in putting this to a close.

Your G.M. was proven to have been lying about Frasers condition and THAT is the reason that the NHL decided to award us with any compensation.

No lie, no reason for *ANY* compensation.

I like you Bryanbryoil but in my opinion your guys lied and paid for it. The reason that the amount is low doesn't change the fact that we were compensated for your GM being a liar. Other wise there would be no reason for the compensation.

By the way kudos to your teams success this season. You are doing pretty much what I thought you would at this point. Keep it up.
It was decided before they went to the NHL, good on both for swallowing their pride and getting something done, it's a shame that this had to go public and that it took this long to settle it.

And thanks, they seem to be coming back down to earth a bit, but such is life. Glad that it sounds like Fraser will be serviceable for you guys as like Smyth for you guys last year, he was terrible for us.

11-17-2011, 01:23 AM
Johnny Utah

Tambellini's rep is already a bit tarnished...Souray threw him and the Oilers medicial staff under the bus too regarding injuries and what not and as much as you Oiler fans hate him now, he is well liked within the league and other players...I met Sheldon in person and he seemed like a cool guy and he is close friends with Chelios, I see them together in the summer together down here.

Old
11-17-2011, 01:29 AM
damacles1156

People still care about this ? If anything the Kings should be thanking the Oilers. Gagne is a skilled player the Kings desperately needed, along with Richards.

Fraser looks to be a solid bottom six guy.

Old
11-17-2011, 01:30 AM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Glad this is finally over too. That fact that EDM had to pay some of the medical bills should be enough to prove who was in the wrong.

And can someone confirm that Lombardi egged Tambellini's JAG as he left the GM meetings a few days ago?

Old
11-17-2011, 01:31 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Tambellini's rep is already a bit tarnished...Souray threw him and the Oilers medicial staff under the bus too regarding injuries and what not and as much as you Oiler fans hate him now, he is well liked within the league and other players...I met Sheldon in person and he seemed like a cool guy and he is close friends with Chelios, I see them together in the summer together down here.
Souray signed a large deal. Both in pay and term. Then he proceeded to ask for a trade a couple years later. He openly admitted that the Oilers offered him more than any other team at the time. So that kind of ties their hands in regards to moving him. Who is going to want him for a price they werent prepared to pay?

That being said, the team was a mess, and I dont really blame him for wanting out. Im sure he could see the writing on the wall. But maybe those were things he should have sussed out before he agreed to come to Edmonton in the first place?

Its a little one sided if you ask me. Players can up and demand trades, even if they themselves possess NMC or NTC's irregardless of their contract, while teams are handcuffed by the NMC/NTC's and the contracts. It would be different if teams could just cut those players who are underperforming on their contracts, but they cant.

Old
11-17-2011, 01:31 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
And you got Teubert......if youre happy about that thats funny.
Three years ago many on this board were proclaiming Colten Teubert as the next Scott Stevens. I would be happy with that.

Old
11-17-2011, 01:33 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Three years ago many on this board were proclaiming Colten Teubert as the next Scott Stevens. I would be happy with that.
The funny part is Teubert has actually played solid this season everywhere he has been.

Talk about Ironic.

Old
11-17-2011, 01:38 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Then again i never thought highly of him

Old
11-17-2011, 01:44 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
Then again i never thought highly of him
I wasn't either. Saw him play in the ECHL, which is a garbage league and he was terrible down there. Of course I was just called a "hater"

The funniest thing about Teubert is as each season passed his projection got worse and worse.

When he was drafted he was the next Scott Stevens
Then it was the next Adam Foote
Then the next Sean O'Donnell
Then the next Bryan Marchment
Now he is being projected as another Matt Greene.

I wonder if he will play long enough to be projected as the next Randy Jones.

Old
11-17-2011, 01:53 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
People still care about this ? If anything the Kings should be thanking the Oilers. Gagne is a skilled player the Kings desperately needed, along with Richards.

Fraser looks to be a solid bottom six guy.
Exactly, that's why I said no big deal. The compensation shows that one GM was in the wrong. In the end I am very happy with the result not just from the trade, but with the addition of Gagne.

Old
11-17-2011, 02:00 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Getting rid of Smyth was a blessing for the Kings. I don't care if he's had an 18 game resurgence in Edmonton. Good for him. In the grand scheme of things though, who cares? He will be long gone by the time they are a perennial playoff team. Enjoy him Oilers fans, but stop acting like you fleeced the Kings for Kopitar or Doughty. Nobody here cares that Smyth is gone. In fact, this team misses Handuz a hell of a lot more.

Old
11-17-2011, 02:17 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Watch Tambellini attempt to pay Lombardi off in Canadian dollars.

Old
11-17-2011, 08:27 AM
thalegion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Watch Tambellini attempt to pay Lombardi off in Canadian dollars.
OUR MONEY IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!! 7:30 AM Rage of the day

Closed Thread