HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Enroth in net .... Can he? Will he? Is he?

Old
11-14-2011, 10:44 PM
LGB24

vCash: 500
13-0-1 last 14 starts

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 10:53 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
13-0-1 last 14 starts
Really? Wow...

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 03:56 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
It'll be interesting to see how he handles more starts. I'm very excited to see him do this good but sooner or later I think he will falter. For how long is Miller expected to be gone?

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 04:53 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
It'll be interesting to see how he handles more starts. I'm very excited to see him do this good but sooner or later I think he will falter. For how long is Miller expected to be gone?
Don't think they've said anything yet, but I doubt we'll see him this week, and the Sabres schedule is packed, 4 games:

MON, 14th, at MTL W 3-2 (SO)
WED, 16th, vs NJ
FRI, 18th, at CAR
SAT, 19th, vs PHO

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 07:25 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
And it's a shame more people don't think this way. Take the paycheck out of it, THEN ask, has this player played the game of hockey up to the standards he's expected to play (past performance gauges the standards).
Exactly this.

I'm ignoring the trolls that don't see that's what I was saying.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 07:35 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

I think it's fair to say that Enroth has exceeded expectations thus far in the season. He was asked to play a regular role as a backup, initially going to start around 20 games or so.

Well, so far he's played in 8 games, started 6 of 17, and has 0 losses. He has a Save % of .942 and a GAA of 1.76. Clearly he's playing at an elite level right now. It's pretty clear with the pace he's on and Miller's injury, he's going to start well more than 20 games. I'd expect somewhere in the 30-35 game range, depending on the severity of Miller's injury and what state he's in when he returns.

The question for me is if he can sustain a similar level of play, or even a slightly lesser level of play, while playing and starting more games. He did it last year when Miller was out, now he gets the chance to shine again.

On a personal note, he's fun to watch. Cool as a cucumber is right. The guy just seems very calm and poised with confidence in net.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 08:25 AM
Clock

I think he can.

Good thing we didn't trade him, eh?

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 08:26 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I think he can.

Good thing we didn't trade him, eh?
We should trade him and Miller for a #1 center.

Old
11-15-2011, 08:35 AM
BuzzKillington90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
We should trade him and Miller for a #1 center.
You mean someone should trade us a #1 Center and a 1st rder for Enroth!!!

BuzzKillington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:02 AM
punkr0x

I think teams will start to figure out how to beat Enroth pretty quickly now that he's our interim #1. I love his reflexes but he leaves some holes. Hopefully a heavy workload will help him tighten up his technique.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 09:04 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
I think teams will start to figure out how to beat Enroth pretty quickly now that he's our interim #1. I love his reflexes but he leaves some holes. Hopefully a heavy workload will help him tighten up his technique.
His five hole looks vulnerable to me at times. His glove work up high seems pretty exceptional to my untrained eye, perhaps even better than Miller's best.

Old
11-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
His five hole looks vulnerable to me at times. His glove work up high seems pretty exceptional to my untrained eye, perhaps even better than Miller's best.
Not being a goalie it seems that Enroth is more of a stand-up goalie which would leave his 5 hole a little more vulnerable but also allows him to cover more of the net than you'd imagine with his size.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:09 AM
bfloMatt

His five hole is exposed sometimes which is a product of his standup.

He should definitely start going down before they even shoot the puck just to make sure that announcers will praise his ability make pad saves and then he can get torched up high for the next 6 years of his career.

bfloMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:21 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Yea, I am also concerned about teams figuring him out the more he plays. But that's where he needs tO prove his worth. Once teams have a book on him, some small mistakes he makes will become big mistakes unless he works on them and improves. He has the talent, that's for sure. Will he have the talent to overcome the fact that teams will know his weak spots is another.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 11:37 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloMatt View Post
His five hole is exposed sometimes which is a product of his standup.

He should definitely start going down before they even shoot the puck just to make sure that announcers will praise his ability make pad saves and then he can get torched up high for the next 6 years of his career.

Oh, I wasn't trying to pick the guy apart. I think he's a fantastic goaltender from what I've seen. I even admitted I'm not a goalie on any level, never played the position, and know very little technically beyond what most fans know about style and stats.

Was just making an observation.

Old
11-15-2011, 01:50 PM
sabresandcanucks

There are a lot of technical things I don't like about Enroth's game. He goes down early at times, gives up some bad rebounds, and generally looks more concerned to block the puck rather than "save" it...there is a difference.

When your the backup goaltender teams don't scout you as closely. Once you have a reputation, opposing coaches make it their business to deconstruct your game and exploit your weaknesses. Now that Miller is out I expect Enroth to see a lot of shots coming up high, or a lot of back and forth passing to get him moving prior to a shot.

With that said, Enroth is a battler...and he seems to know how to win. Those intangibles will serve him well if he maintains them throughout his career.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 02:21 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
Now that Miller is out I expect Enroth to see a lot of shots coming up high, or a lot of back and forth passing to get him moving prior to a shot.
That's pretty much what you try and do with any modern style goalie.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:31 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=601762

Here is an interesting view on why Enroth has been so successful for a guy with less than ideal size.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:44 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=601762

Here is an interesting view on why Enroth has been so successful for a guy with less than ideal size.
I was just going to post that. It's interesting, I suppose, but the author pretends to speak far too authoritatively about what's happening with Enroth neurologically and physiologically. You can comment on a goaltender's style, but when you start commenting on how his eyes track a puck or when the synapses fire in his brain, you're reaching.

haseoke39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:24 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Well tonight's game was a good effort, but proved to be too much for the team. Brodeur was very good. Enroth looked off this game. Most of the goals were screens or just plain awesome shots. But I think his 5 hole needs to improve. He has the talent and attitude to get better. I'm sure he will. Besides the first goal, what other goal should he have had? I can't remember the 5th goal right now (must of been out of the room when they scored the 5th).

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:58 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Well tonight's game was a good effort, but proved to be too much for the team. Brodeur was very good. Enroth looked off this game. Most of the goals were screens or just plain awesome shots. But I think his 5 hole needs to improve. He has the talent and attitude to get better. I'm sure he will. Besides the first goal, what other goal should he have had? I can't remember the 5th goal right now (must of been out of the room when they scored the 5th).
It was a breakaway by Clarkson.

Old
11-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Can't help but think that Miller gets that sort of lax defense most nights and he gets run through by posters with an axe to grind on things like the Kovalchuk goal ("down early") or the Fayne goal ("ANOTHER wrister from the blueline?") or the Clarkson breakaway ("jeez, they pay him a boatload of lira to make THAT stop") and what have you. Enroth himself said he's got to find a way to make some more saves tonight.

But the sloppy defense was typical of this team so far this season.

11-17-2011, 02:10 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Can't help but think that Miller gets that sort of lax defense most nights and he gets run through by posters with an axe to grind on things like the Kovalchuk goal ("down early") or the Fayne goal ("ANOTHER wrister from the blueline?") or the Clarkson breakaway ("jeez, they pay him a boatload of lira to make THAT stop") and what have you. Enroth himself said he's got to find a way to make some more saves tonight.

But the sloppy defense was typical of this team so far this season.
pretty much typified our season to date in that regard.

I think you hit it on the head with Miller, too. A lot of folks would've been all over a performance like this.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:14 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post

I think you hit it on the head with Miller, too. A lot of folks would've been all over a performance like this.

I'm still not sure how all that came to pass really.

I know Miller gets some hate, but honestly not sure how it all happened, thinking back...

The guy might not be Hasek, but of the current NHL goalies, objectively you gotta think he's top-10 easy, top-5 possibly.

Why you heff to be mad???? as Bryzgaloy would say...

At no point in his career was Miller bad enough to lose a playoff series or cost them a playoff spot, and there've definitely been times when the team was riding him to winning streaks etc.

Old
11-17-2011, 02:18 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
I'm still not sure how all that came to pass really.

I know Miller gets some hate, but honestly not sure how it all happened, thinking back...

The guy might not be Hasek, but of the current NHL goalies, objectively you gotta think he's top-10 easy, top-5 possibly.

Why you heff to be mad???? as Bryzgaloy would say...

At no point in his career was Miller bad enough to lose a playoff series or cost them a playoff spot, and there've definitely been times when the team was riding him to winning streaks etc.
Some firmly grasp the notion that the hype balloon peaked beyond reality after Olympics/Vezina. Anything less and it is an opportunity to point out that that season was a fluke. I think most can appreciate how good he is, and can feel confident in him in a playoff series, in which he has already shown to be capable of performing in.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote