HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Let's put things into perspective

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-17-2011, 12:13 AM
  #26
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Just to add to the Kumbaya vibe, I'll say that I think some people, me included at times, have forgotten just how better, even at 75%, Markov will make this team. If they manage to hold the fort and look decent until he comes back, they should be good to go baring other major injuries.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:24 AM
  #27
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,196
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
I still want Martin fired.

dude is boring as hell.
how the **** can you think this was a boring game is beyond me...

if youre saying martin himself is boring, well you're a big boy, im sure you can handle the less than one minute per game he's actually on camera

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:56 AM
  #28
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
now, back on topic...

What is it that we are putting into perspective?

Are the habs a contender now?

Or, is this thread just another way of saying ''we're not as crap as our start'' ....

Big revelations.

I'll bring out the pom poms when we start icing legitimate contenders.... until then, don't smack on the fans that want more.
Very well said...

Lose a few = doom & gloom

Win a few = pass the kool aid

Bottom line, we haven't iced a serious contender in over a decade

Some fans expect more, some are happy with regular season home wins against non playoff teams...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:39 AM
  #29
RushDP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
now, back on topic...

What is it that we are putting into perspective?

Are the habs a contender now?

Or, is this thread just another way of saying ''we're not as crap as our start'' ....

Big revelations.

I'll bring out the pom poms when we start icing legitimate contenders.... until then, don't smack on the fans that want more.
The OP is making a point that we're not as bad as our start. Where does he smack "fans that want more"?

I agree with him actually, we played well and lost to some ridiculous goal tending over four games starting with the game Miller stole with 41 stops.

What is a legitimate contender anyway? If we're healthy I think we're better than most teams in the league. It's a matter of opinion. It's like those Bruins fans who talk about their great team...they wouldn't even have made the playoffs without Thomas playing lights out: Vezina and Stanley Cup MVP. Take him out of the equation and they are very ordinary.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:46 AM
  #30
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!
 
Hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
I still want Martin fired.

dude is boring as hell.
If he keeps Darche off the PP and stops benching young guys for mistakes (and never benching vets), I have no problem with Martin. His Carbonneau-like antics are what makes me hate him.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:49 AM
  #31
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,598
vCash: 500
I respect the hell out of Red Fisher, but how can he say that we have a long way to go, while at the same time he chimes in with Boston has found their game. Going 7-2-1 in our last 10, It's easy to say that we've found OUR game. Throw injuries into the mix and I believe that we've exceeded expectations. Is it perfect? No, but i believe we've come a helluva long way.

AntonCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:51 AM
  #32
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
I respect the hell out of Red Fisher, but how can he say that we have a long way to go, while at the same time he chimes in with Boston has found their game. Going 7-2-1 in our last 10, It's easy to say that we've found OUR game. Throw injuries into the mix and I believe that we've exceeded expectations. Is it perfect? No, but i believe we've come a helluva long way.
We DO have a long way to go. Boston has been beating down their opponents while we're scraping by.

Boston is a complete team, we are not.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:57 AM
  #33
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,598
vCash: 500
Boston's last 10 7-3
Habs' last 10 7-2-1
Now I haven't checked their injury reports but I'm guessing the Habs have had more than their share of injuries. That being said a W is a W.
So, Boston is a complete team and we're a buncha scrubs with our porous young, injury-riddled defence? Does that perception change when everyone comes back on D?

AntonCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:44 AM
  #34
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Very well said...

Lose a few = doom & gloom

Win a few = pass the kool aid

Bottom line, we haven't iced a serious contender in over a decade

Some fans expect more, some are happy with regular season home wins against non playoff teams...
What exactly is "kool-aid'ish" about this thread? It's not like he's saying were a cup front runner?

Also, about that last sentence; I think everyone expects more, but whining and crying about it every other thread, wont make it all come true. I think some fans are spoiled and some are calm, and some are stupid and some are emotionally underdeveloped, and some are mature and some are experts and some are Trolls, etc.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:07 AM
  #35
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Very well said...

Lose a few = doom & gloom

Win a few = pass the kool aid

Bottom line, we haven't iced a serious contender in over a decade

Some fans expect more, some are happy with regular season home wins against non playoff teams...
And some fans are just too stubborn (or dumb) to understand "things are not so bleak".

Who talked about taking pomps poms? Who said we were amazing? Who said we were a top contender? Who said home wins is all that matters?

Take off your idiotic proud glasses and understand the damn simple point. Martin is not THAT bad, our system is not THAT bad, our defense is not THAT bad. There are good things to look at. That is all that is being said. There is no need to overly whine or criticize the team and the management(note that I wrote overly).

The guys that say they expect more from the team because of the old days and anything less is unacceptable are the worst. They have this sense of pride, for some reason, and think anytime someone is trying to be positive (god forbid that), it's because they are settling for mediocrity. Seriously pathetic. They feel they are loyal and true fans, but all they really are is bitter, which is why they interprete optimism or positivity as a settling for mediocrity.

I want the Habs to win. I expect them to put forth a contender, amd I feel we are very close to it. An 8th place finish would be disappointing, and so would be a first round exit. That does not prevent me from recognizing certain things, such as us not being as bad as most like to say.


Last edited by Kriss E: 11-17-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:10 AM
  #36
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man
 
Dirty Danglez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
And again tonight , Habs lay back in 3rd outshot 13-4.
While it does tend to happen (all teams do this with a big lead btw, but it's just enhanced in mtl because of martin), look at the TOI of the players in the 3rd period. The bottom 6 got way more ice time than in the 1st two periods, which means there will be less offensive opportunities, which means there is going to be less shots. Martin did this because they have two games in two days.

There is a lot more to controlling the play than SOG

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:15 AM
  #37
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
What exactly is "kool-aid'ish" about this thread?
Some fans apparently don't have taste buds.

The sole reason behind this thread is to tell the critics to be happy with what the team is doing... Nothing wrong with that in theory.

But maybe the critics are just fed-up, paying the huge ticket prices. Some critics are a bit older, and remember the old days, and every disappointing season since 1994... while other proclaimed ''happy'' posters on here, likely only started following in the 2000's.

Maybe some fans want more center depth, or a veteran star defense man who won't make them cringe every time he goes into the corner.

And maybe it pisses these type of ''hard to please fans'' off that this proud, rich franchise will likely bring back overpaid, cap sucking players so long as the objectives are met.... so long as the masses are pleased.




Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post

Also, about that last sentence; I think everyone expects more, but whining and crying about it every other thread, wont make it all come true. I think some fans are spoiled and some are calm, and some are stupid and some are emotionally underdeveloped, and some are mature and some are experts and some are Trolls, etc.
And some feel they're entitled to define what is stupid, or smart, passing off their opinions of others while heads dug deep below the ice... oblivious to the time that passes, the perpetual non-elite status of this franchise...

Anyways, there is nothing wrong in being a hard-to-please fan. NOTHING.
In fact, I think if more were like this, we would be better off...

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:18 AM
  #38
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
We DO have a long way to go. Boston has been beating down their opponents while we're scraping by.

Boston is a complete team, we are not.
You are the perfect example of what I am essentially talking about.
Our record over thecpast ten games is better than Boston's, yet we have a long way to go and the Bruins are just solid.
There is a huge double standard in habs land. You would think Habs fans would be a little more supportive of their team.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:20 AM
  #39
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
now, back on topic...

What is it that we are putting into perspective?

Are the habs a contender now?

Or, is this thread just another way of saying ''we're not as crap as our start'' ....

Big revelations.

I'll bring out the pom poms when we start icing legitimate contenders.... until then, don't smack on the fans that want more.
Nobody said you had to post in the thread if you don't like optimistic threads just like I don't have to post in the Eklund thread if I think his rumors are just plain stupid. No need to rag on the fans who actually appreciate and respect management for what they've done despite their faults. Nobody is perfect and if you expect to get perfect management or one that wins a cup every 5 years you'll be sorely disappointed. This isn't NHL 12 where 29 teams are run by CPU's and only 1 actually wants to win. There are 29 other teams out there all with general managers who want to win and are trying to keep their jobs. Scouts the same thing. You make it sound like you're entitled to more, you aren't. You're entitled to the best product management can put together and that is what you are getting. Any type of comments in response to this saying management isn't giving us the best product they could put together is absolute hogwash. We spend to the cap and anyone trying to say we'd rather an inferior player we got over a superior one we didn't is living in a land of fantasy and fairytales if they actually believe a professionally managed team of ANY kind wouldn't try to land the better player if available. Sometimes things don't work out the way you want them to but that doesn't mean our management isn't trying. It's delusion to think otherwise. They spend to cap and want to win the cup as much as the next guy if not more.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:20 AM
  #40
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The guys that say they expect more from the team because of the old days and anything less is unacceptable are the worst. They have this sense of pride, for some reason, and think anytime someone is trying to be positive (god forbid that), it's because they are settling for mediocrity. Seriously pathetic.
I think you have it wrong... This only happens when fans ''call out the critics'' for being critical or hard to please.

And you are the biggest culprit.

Nobody is jumping into threads calling people out for being happy about a win.

But don't throw it back on the posters that are reserving the champagne for something bigger.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:24 AM
  #41
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,010
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...=goalsByPeriod

Not ideal, but not exactly dramatic either.
23rd is not dramatic? You realize there are only 30 teams right?


Last edited by onice: 11-17-2011 at 08:31 AM.
onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:24 AM
  #42
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Nobody said you had to post in the thread if you don't like optimistic threads just like I don't have to post in the Eklund thread
Read the OP ... I'm just defending the rights of the so called ''hard to please traditionalist''

Again, there is nothing wrong in being a hard to please fan ... particularly when we look at the last 18 years (in a few more seasons, we migh unfortunately be rounding it up to 20 years)

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:27 AM
  #43
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I think you have it wrong... This only happens when fans ''call out the critics'' for being critical or hard to please.

And you are the biggest culprit.

Nobody is jumping into threads calling people out for being happy about a win.

But don't throw it back on the posters that are reserving the champagne for something bigger.
Actually Miller Time said some fans will settle for being happy with home wins against non playoff teams. You threw out a sarcatic remark about pom poms.

Do not call me a culprit when you already proved to not understand the reason behind this thread.
The reason is not to tell the critics that they should be happy with where the team is, as you seem to think. It is simply to say we had a bad streak early on, we seem to be back on track, and things are improving. Simple and clear.
Nobody is saying this team should remain free of criticism. They deserve their share, like every other team in the nhl.
But there is a difference between being an over critic and given out rational,constructive criticism.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:27 AM
  #44
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man
 
Dirty Danglez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Very well said...

Lose a few = doom & gloom

Win a few = pass the kool aid

Bottom line, we haven't iced a serious contender in over a decade

Some fans expect more, some are happy with regular season home wins against non playoff teams...
This is what I don't get. What makes you a contender really? To be a top of the standings in the regular season? How well has that gone for San Jose? How well has that gone for Washington?

What matters in the regular season is players developing, creating chemistry with one another and, of course, making the playoffs. I think this team has proven what it can do in the playoffs, and while their regular season stats don't show that they are a contender, I'm willing to bet whoever has to play the habs in the post season will not be looking forward to it.

Contenders are created in the postseason. This team has players who step their game up when the time comes. If anything I feel more comfortable now with this core, than when the habs were a top the east in 2007-08. While I think there are better teams out there in terms of talent and size... think of a team that has more will.

The playoffs are a whole new season, the habs just have to get there

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:30 AM
  #45
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,010
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Read the OP ... I'm just defending the rights of the so called ''hard to please traditionalist''

Again, there is nothing wrong in being a hard to please fan ... particularly when we look at the last 18 years (in a few more seasons, we migh unfortunately be rounding it up to 20 years)
In a few more years we won't need to round it up. It will be 20 seasons.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:32 AM
  #46
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,859
vCash: 500
Agree Kriss.

And how anyone can find watching this team boring right now is beyond me. Maybe hockey isn't for you.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:35 AM
  #47
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
The most amazing thing is that they've done it in spite of Jacques Martin and Scott Gomez! Pretty amazing indeed!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:36 AM
  #48
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Agree Kriss.

And how anyone can find watching this team boring right now is beyond me. Maybe hockey isn't for you.
It is like MMA, some fans will call a fight between two BJJ artists boring because they wil be on the floor during the whole fight. They cannot appreciate the spectacle as much. I have no problem in watching a defensive game. Bad and boring games can happen, like in Pittsburgh and CGY, but overall, I am entertained.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:36 AM
  #49
29dryden29
Registered User
 
29dryden29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,323
vCash: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Some fans apparently don't have taste buds.

The sole reason behind this thread is to tell the critics to be happy with what the team is doing... Nothing wrong with that in theory.

But maybe the critics are just fed-up, paying the huge ticket prices. Some critics are a bit older, and remember the old days, and every disappointing season since 1994... while other proclaimed ''happy'' posters on here, likely only started following in the 2000's.

Maybe some fans want more center depth, or a veteran star defense man who won't make them cringe every time he goes into the corner.

And maybe it pisses these type of ''hard to please fans'' off that this proud, rich franchise will likely bring back overpaid, cap sucking players so long as the objectives are met.... so long as the masses are pleased.






And some feel they're entitled to define what is stupid, or smart, passing off their opinions of others while heads dug deep below the ice... oblivious to the time that passes, the perpetual non-elite status of this franchise...

Anyways, there is nothing wrong in being a hard-to-please fan. NOTHING.
In fact, I think if more were like this, we would be better off...
You make excellent points I am 100% one of those hard nosed hard to please fans I am also teaching my 4 kids the way of that hard nosed hard to please fans. I let them watch the teams from the 70s and explain that this is what this franchise is all about. It is about excellence and as of the last umpteen years it has been about hey lets get into the playoffs and hope we compete. I wish more fans would take off the rosey HABS coloured glasses and see this franchise for what it currently is and that is not up to par for what the crest on the front of that jersey is all about.


Last edited by 29dryden29: 11-17-2011 at 08:47 AM.
29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:37 AM
  #50
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Do not call me a culprit when you already proved to not understand the reason behind this thread.
The reason is not to tell the critics that they should be happy with where the team is, as you seem to think. It is simply to say we had a bad streak early on, we seem to be back on track, and things are improving. Simple and clear.
Hmm... see the bold below. All references to ''critics''. If the goal was to talk about the teams turnaround -- then technically this has nothing to do with other fans / critics... technically, the bold does not need to be written.

But nice try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Fire Martin, Fire Gauthier, Cole sucks, Gomez sucks, PP is horrendous and coaches need to be fired because of it, our Defense sucks, Pearn fired etc..
We pretty much heard it all by now.

Our Habs still aren't escaping any sort of criticism. Most fans jump at any chance they get to spit out their criticisms.

We all know we had a rough start, but since our win versus Philly, we're 7-2-1. Yet, it still feels like we're doomed to fail if we listen to plenty of fans.

Things aren't so bleak. So cheer up, Habs land.
I think its safe to say that your post was not just about the turn-around of the team in the last 10 games, but more so about the critics ... and how they need to zip-up their lips a bit.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.