HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Washington at Nashville. 11/15/2011 8PM

Old
11-17-2011, 07:56 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
At some point this year, if Ovi still has not scored even a single goal at home, I would like Bruce to unleash him of any responsibilities Bruce has overloaded onto him, if any. Get back to unrestrained Ovi, uber offense Ovi, doing what comes natural to Ovi, yes even unkempt Ovi, and see where it goes. Tell everyone else on the team to cover for him, and tell our f'in fragile movers to look for him c'picking. Damnit.

Even if he does finally score a goal at home, I think the harnessed responsible kempt Ovi hasnt been helping our team from a ROI or any perspective. We didnt pay him 9 million to back check. Later in his career when he can't outscore and outhit most everyone, yeah he will need to expand on his game. But now, its painful to see his offensive numbers, hits, enthusiasm, energy, even entertainment vaule, drop, while not clearly helping the team.

Ovi not playing defense in the playoffs never hurt this team. We have bigger problems than him trying to score goals and crush defensemen.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:00 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
The problem with unrestrained Ovechkin is that it's skate in along the left boards, cross the blueline, turn in towards the middle, juke in front of the defenseman once or twice, and try to get a shot off through the legs. Rinse and repeat. Everyone knows what he's going to try to do.

It's like Zoolander. Magnum, Ferrari, Le Tigre... They're all the same move! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Ovechkin needs to figure out Blue Steel. Right now, he can't turn left.

That's some high-quality coaching right there. Suck it, Boudreau!

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:33 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Restrained Ovi may not be worth 9.5M right now. Ovi or Bruce was wise enough to try moving down the RW in game 2 versus Montreal, and you have continued to see him using the right side of the ice over the past year, more than ever. Where a player skates shouldn't change who they are. Bruce needs to encourage it, and flat out just move him to RW for a few games, and unrestrain him. I will be stunned to see him busting his predictable move down that left side over and over while playing RW.

Semin Nick Ovi. I am disappointed it has never been tried even one time.

Old
11-17-2011, 09:27 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Restrained Ovechkin is a lie you tell yourselves to make yourself feel better. He doesn't backcheck, he doesn't pick up a man in the defensive zone. Hell, he barely waves a stick at the dmen who take the puck from him.

It's not defensive responsibility that's killing his game. It looks a lot more like apathy.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I'd have to agree. I don't see his lack of production right now as the product of his additional attention to defense (overblown; he hits but he doesn't play defense). He's just not beating people with the same move or moves, if you're feeling generous, that he's telegraphed so often over the years that teams game plan for them now.

When you know the other team has a dynamic player, you put your best defensive players on him. Then the opposition takes advantage of that double teaming and other lines produce in the superstar's stead. The problem is not just that Ovechkin is unable to break through the defensive attention, but that Semin is not potting goals despite the fact that the opponents are ignoring him and his line. He's getting decidedly second-tier defensive attention and still struggling.

There's $16M of sputtering wingers just spinning their wheels right now. When the third line can score, the Caps have a chance to win. The team can't afford to give up bad goals while the stars are dormant.

Last edited by Drake1588: 11-17-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old
11-17-2011, 10:40 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Heh I half watched the Nash game on my tiny 22" sidebar LCD, and hadnt even noticed that Ovi was at RW. I have gotten used to him coming up and down the RW more so didnt think twice about it. I presume he was lined up at RW for faceoffs proper.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...ne-game-cameo/

I like it, keep trying new things, and also try Semin at his natural LW. I still see no reason why an NHL coach can't get that line to work. Or at least try.

If we arent happy with Semin's offense, trying him at his natural LW is a no brainer.

Old
11-17-2011, 10:46 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I noticed from the second period at least that it was Backstrom who was consistently drawing double coverage in the offensive zone. I would expect that trend to continue.

Rh- ovi lined up and played rw the whole game.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:48 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Restrained Ovechkin is a lie you tell yourselves to make yourself feel better. He doesn't backcheck, he doesn't pick up a man in the defensive zone. Hell, he barely waves a stick at the dmen who take the puck from him.

It's not defensive responsibility that's killing his game. It looks a lot more like apathy.
Do you think his lack o defense apathy anything Ovi related, is the reason we didnt beat Philly, Montreal, Pitt, or Tampa? I don't fault him at all in any series.

He showed up last playoffs. Regular season Ovi now appears bored. I go back to him getting suspended and being told to play nice with Malkin, when he seemed to change his game. Maybe he doesnt wave a stick at defensemen because the league doesn't want that.

Our next strike, he should start a Xtreme Hockey League. XHL.

Old
11-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
I noticed from the second period at least that it was Backstrom who was consistently drawing double coverage in the offensive zone. I would expect that trend to continue.

It's probably better that way. Backstrom is much more likely than Ovechkin to make something out of a situation in which he's double-teamed.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:26 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

oops... wrong thread.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 01:51 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:

Thanks BCF, believe it or not I of all people hadnt noticed Ovi was at RW, nor Nick drawing doubles. Interesting about Nick, it seems teams are adjusting to cover our points leader, as they damn well should. Thinking about it, thats almost what needs to happen before we can start expecting more O from Ovi. Teams have to pay to double Ovi, and we largely havent done that. The onus is on Nick and Semin. Semin is too inconsistent. All that is left, is Nick.

I vote for Nick as our teams MVP thus far.

Old
11-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I'd actually take the team's productive players and try them on a line, take the Russians and play them with Johansson.

Maybe Chimera - Backstrom - Brouwer/Ward and Semin - Johansson - Ovechkin. See what they can do with that mix.

Old
11-17-2011, 02:50 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I really hope that's not it. If so, a huge trade bringing in an impact forward with some legend attached to him (Iginla-type), a coaching change, or a change of scenery may be the only two things that turn that around...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:52 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

three things...

Old
11-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Firestorm

Just out of curiosity, is the years before of playing the hard charging freight train with big hits and such finally catching up with Ovi?

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 04:20 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

It appears to be all mental to this fan...

Old
11-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Click Here
You know you want to

ovechkin on the PK. my goodness.

Click Here is offline   Reply With Quote