HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Smyth/Fraser saga comes to an end Oiler cough up money for medical expenses

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Butch 19
King me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mully12 View Post
Probably the safest way Bettman could've done it. Glad its finally over though.
and it took several MONTHS to decide this?

They couldn't have done this in 5 minutes?

It's not even a slap on the wrist.

Old
11-17-2011, 11:14 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
and it took several MONTHS to decide this?

They couldn't have done this in 5 minutes?

It's not even a slap on the wrist.
Bettman didn't do jack they solved it themselves hours before hearing.

Old
11-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Asheru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
In the end it was bad publicity for both sides and the settlement is the equivalent of a drop in the bucket. This should've never gone public in the first place IMO.
I think you're working overtime to make it a black mark for both sides. This could have been settled long ago, and Tambellini is the one who had to give up something.

Maybe next time he'll just be happy to settle for getting a good player at below market price and not haggle for over a month when the gift horse arrives.

Old
11-17-2011, 11:34 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The bet was that the league wouldnt rule in the King's favour, which they didnt, so I didnt lose anything.
I've at least got this guy to agree to wear an avatar for two weeks, not the full month we agreed to but whatever. Anyone here want to design me an avatar? I'm terrible at photoshop, but something about DL making Tambo his minion would be awesome. PM me if you can do an avatar for me, I'll give you full props for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
It looks badly because any GM that deals with Lombardi knows that if everything doesn't go 100% to plan that Lombardi will air the dirty laundry. That is how I would look at it. If Tambellini did indeed lie then it will be noted by other teams, however IMO both GM's walked out of this with negative attention rightly or wrongly. That said it's over and done with, both parties agreed to a settlement and truth be told it's best for both parties to run as fast and far away from this issue as possible.

It was decided before they went to the NHL, good on both for swallowing their pride and getting something done, it's a shame that this had to go public and that it took this long to settle it.
How many times has Lombardi, an NHL GM for about 10 years, gone and aired dirty laundry about another GM? The fact a veteran GM is complaining likely speaks larger against Tambo than it does DL.

Also, the fact it was decided before it reached the NHL doesn't impress me in the least. This greiveance was filed in I believe July/early August and they finally agreed a few hours before the meeting was to take place on November 16th? Sounds like someone was playing chicken and lost more than anything. Considering the Oilers are paying for something they said they shouldn't have to (medical costs) it looks like they were the ones in the wrong. That would affect Tambo more than DL IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Souray signed a large deal. Both in pay and term. Then he proceeded to ask for a trade a couple years later. He openly admitted that the Oilers offered him more than any other team at the time. So that kind of ties their hands in regards to moving him. Who is going to want him for a price they werent prepared to pay?

That being said, the team was a mess, and I dont really blame him for wanting out. Im sure he could see the writing on the wall. But maybe those were things he should have sussed out before he agreed to come to Edmonton in the first place?

Its a little one sided if you ask me. Players can up and demand trades, even if they themselves possess NMC or NTC's irregardless of their contract, while teams are handcuffed by the NMC/NTC's and the contracts. It would be different if teams could just cut those players who are underperforming on their contracts, but they cant.
I agree. I have always felt the player/team relationship is one-sided in this matters. Souray, whether he liked it or not, signed a five-year deal to be on the Oilers and he should have honored it. Even if he didn't want to stay, go to Tambo, politely explain why you'd like to leave, do what you can to help facilitate a trade, and work hard until one is done. Souray blabbing away and openly criticizing the team was not only wrong, I fail to see how it's not a breach of the terms of the contract and therefore punishable. If we went out and publicly criticized the places we work at through the media or other social mediums, we'd be disciplined, union or not. Same should apply in hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Watch Tambellini attempt to pay Lombardi off in Canadian dollars.
Depending on the exchange rate, which flucuates by the day, that'd actually earn DL more money. Not to mention our money is just so much more colorful and flashy, driving home the point of victory even more

Old
11-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
Props to ITAL for not welching. So many people welch on bets here.

I have some ideas for the avatar, I photoshop worse than a kid draws with crayons, but I got ideas!

Last edited by Flour Child: 11-17-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old
11-17-2011, 12:05 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Props to ITAL for not welching.

I have some ideas for the avatar, I photoshop worse than a kid draws with crayons, but I got ideas!
Something tells me I'd really like your ideas. Give it a shot and send it my way. It's all in good fun anyways.

Old
11-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Yesssssss! The kings won this **** by a landslide. Colin fraser is awesome.. talk about the oiler fans squandering an asset. The Oiler fans will now have to pay the Kings fans since we were footing (pun intended) the bill for fraser. Haha! Take that Oiler fans and get ready to pay up!

Old
11-17-2011, 12:48 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Props to ITAL for not welching. So many people welch on bets here.

Hmm? ITAL is pseudonym for IATL?? Yes?

Old
11-17-2011, 12:52 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Yesssssss! The kings won this **** by a landslide. Colin fraser is awesome.. talk about the oiler fans squandering an asset. The Oiler fans will now have to pay the Kings fans since we were footing (pun intended) the bill for fraser. Haha! Take that Oiler fans and get ready to pay up!
It was a good try but you have to work on it if you want to get to Oiler level.

Old
11-17-2011, 12:59 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Moving on...

Closed Thread