HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 18: Kings vs Ducks, 11/16/11 - POST GAME WIN!, THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
11-17-2011, 02:43 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
Was at the game tonight, first time seeing Kings / Ducks in person.

Other than the comments that have already been made (yes, the Ducks played absolutely pathetic for two periods), I would have to say Duck fans are for the most part pretty mellow (maybe their awful start to the season has something to do with it). "Pretty mellow" meaning they are not total *******s like Vancouver fan.

There was one loudmouth Ducks fans right behind us...my son wanted to punch him out but I told him its just the beer talking. They guy didn't shut up until Williams buried the game-winner in SO.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:52 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

One more thing I will add...something is wrong in the Ducks' locker room. There has to be...a team with that much natural talent should not be bringing up the rear in the conference...where there is smoke, there is fire.

In re: fire: they had none of that for two full periods...they only caught "fire" when the Kings inexplicably went into Tampa Bay mode in the third period.

Bad decision, Kings. But 2 points is 2 points in the end.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 02:59 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Kings have to adopt more of an Ivan Drago mentality.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 04:27 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

These teams always find a way to keep it interesting.

Still a victory.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:46 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

The Kings carried the play most of the game, had the majority of quality chances and deserved to win. They even ran in to a hot goalie and STILL managed 2 points. Solid effort.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:46 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Frozen Royalty Audio: LA Kings Need Shootout To Get Past Ducks

Frozen Royalty Audio: LA Kings Need Shootout To Get Past Ducks

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:22 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

I watched the first 2 periods of the game, but had to be at work early in the morning so didn't get to watch the rest. Solid first 2 periods, though they should have had at least a couple more goals. Looked at nhl.com and saw the game went into shootout and was surprised.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 09:14 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
As a Kings fan and a hockey fan you can't ask for much more than that. Up and down hockey, a ton of scoring chances, some bad blood, a long shootout and a win for the Kings. Dustin Brown's hands were the only thing I found frustrating.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:01 AM
Kingurentai

I was happy with that game. If Hiller wasn't in beastmode, we'd have had a couple more goals. Should be another good one tonight.

*Watching the interviews now (Williams). LOL why does Hammond look so creepy during those?
(although he is by far one of the more enjoyable hockey writers/website guy in internetland IMHO).

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I don't know where people are getting that Hiller was standing on his head, he was solid but the Kings didn't generate enough scoring chances to beat a #1 NHL goalie. The Kings had a lot of possession time, but few scoring chances. Watching the game gave me an impression that the Kings weren’t really creating much offense, just a lot of shots. So I looked at the shot chart on NHL.com for the game.

The Kings only had 9 shots out of 27 in the scoring zone (between the dots and tops of the circle) while at even strength (33%). You usually want to be close to 60% to generate enough scoring chances to get to 3+ goals. On the PP, the Kings had 5 of 8 shots (63%) in the scoring zone and scored their only goal. 1 of 2 SH shots were in the scoring zone (50%). Overall, the Kings had 15 of 37 shots in the scoring zone (41%); to get to 60% the Kings should have taken 22 shots in the scoring zone to generate enough offense to score 3+ goals.

The Kings are still a perimeter and point shot offense. This is the same offense that was 5-1-1 to start the season. Luck will only get you so far in the NHL. 14 of 18 games (78%) are now below 3 goals in regulation for the Kings. As bad as the Ducks offense has been, they are at 12 of 18 (67%) under 3 goals.

Looking at the Ducks even strength shots, we see that 9 out of 17 (53%) were in the scoring zone. Overall, the Ducks had 13 out of 24 shots in the scoring zone. Were the Kings really “dominating” the game or were they just skating around the perimeter with the puck and forcing point shots?

The Kings had 37 total shots and 15 in the scoring zone (41%). The Ducks had 13 of 24 (54%). Kings had 15 shots blocked and the Ducks had 5 shots blocked. It took the Kings 13 more shots to generate 2 more shots than the Ducks in the scoring zone. Quick was just as good as Hiller last night.

Scoring 1 5-on-3 goal is not a way to win with any consistency. At least it was the first time since October that the Kings won 2 in a row.

Until the Kings start taking shots from the scoring zone at a much higher rate, the Kings will continue to average less than 3 goals per game. Doesn’t matter who Dean acquires.

Richards is the only one consistently trying to get pucks to the middle to create chances and Mike had 5 of the Kings 8 PP shots.

I’m sure I will get the normal hate because the Kings “won” the game, but the Kings have the same gimped offense they have always had for the last 3+ years. Until that changes, the Kings will remain a bubble playoff team and enjoy a quick exit from the playoffs.

Go Luck Go!

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:53 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Would love to see a shot chart of last night's game. I think they had plenty of chances in close. Brown couldn't finish a couple of them.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:58 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Glad to see we won and looked rather convincing for two periods doing it. I'll give the 3rd a pass because it didn't bite us in the ass, but let's hope we learned not to try that again and to keep the peddle down for 60 minutes next time.

The only issue I have is the scoring once again. Our lone goal came from Richards. People note Brown was close a few times, but that's Brown. It's our core guys doing all of the scoring again. They should do the majority, but we need some offense from the 3rd/4th lines too. Outside of one game last week, where Fraser, Martinez and Greene all scored, we've had little/no offense from the lower lines. We have 0 goals in a combined 115 games from Willie Mitchell, Ethan Moreau, Dustin Penner, Trent Hunter, Brad Richardson, Kevin Westgarth, Trevor Lewis and Rob Scuderi. I don't expect much from these guys, but absolutely nothing is fast becoming a running joke. When you add in Jarrett Stoll, Matt Greene, Kyle Clifford each only have three combined goals in 54 total games, it's a huge problem. Essentially, we've had three goals total scored by 10 players (counting Hunter/Westgarth as one player). Half our line up has a goal-per-game output of .167. That's pretty pathetic.

I'm not trying to be a negative thinker here. Overall, we showed a lot of great things on Wednesday and we won. I'm very happy with the effort and overall result. Just thinking we need to get these depth guys going soon or we're in serious trouble. Like Sydor said, 14 of 18 games with two goals or fewer. That's not going to win cups.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Loktionov was a hound last night. Guy does NOT give up on the puck at all. Good back checker and very strong on the boards. I pray we keep him up and leave Parse out when all is said and done...he deserves it....

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Loktionov was a hound last night. Guy does NOT give up on the puck at all. Good back checker and very strong on the boards. I pray we keep him up and leave Parse out when all is said and done...he deserves it....
This. So. Much.

I think Lokti looked a bit stronger too. I think he and Voynov are players that will really flourish as they get more experience. I really don't see why we should wait any longer. Lokti made some nice passes too, and I think he and MR could do a lot together if they start clicking; with Brown hopefully making room for them (and hopefully Brown not handling the puck much lol).

Parse has some talent but it's just not working out here. I wouldn't be surprised if even he himself is thinking he needs a change.

Old
11-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Would love to see a shot chart of last night's game. I think they had plenty of chances in close. Brown couldn't finish a couple of them.
Well, Brown did hit the post on one of them, which doesn't count as a shot.

Brown also missed a tap in from Loktionov because he didn't stop in front of the net and was sliding past the post.

The shot chart is in the recap on NHL.com for the game. It's not pretty.

Old
11-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

I think one thing last game proved is that Voynov shouldn't be going back to the AHL. His positioning was outstanding and this team is better when he plays.

It really is amazing how much it helps to have your farm team running the same system.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
With Parse gone, who do the Kings waive to keep Loktionov up? Penner or Fraser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
I think one thing last game proved is that Voynov shouldn't be going back to the AHL. His positioning was outstanding and this team is better when he plays.

It really is amazing how much it helps to have your farm team running the same system.
So, waive Drewiske and put Martinez in the press box?

Old
11-17-2011, 11:54 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:

I agree, but he will be, at least until a trade can be worked out.

The only defender I can see being traded is Martinez, and he's the one injuried, so I expect Voynov to go back to the farm once Martinez is back and stay there until a deal is done. That likely will be closer to the trade deadline.

Martinez + pick for Okposo? I think Okposo's value is lower than what Islanders fans are claiming and his grit would work well into our lower lines. If the kid can regain his offense, he'd be a solid 15-15 banger for us on the 3rd line wing and likely look really good with Stoll and Loktionov this year and Loktionov and Clifford next year.

Old
11-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Waiving Drewiske is not a good option, because eventually one of Martinez/Voynov will be traded and then the team will wind up having lost two defensemen. A really hard decision is going to have to be made on the Martinez/Voynov front, and quickly.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:55 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Hunter IMO.

Old
11-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Hunter IMO.
True, but isn't he what Murray and Lombardi want? The "board-to-dot" player? Hunter was on the PP over Loktionov last night.

Old
11-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Waiving Drewiske is not a good option, because eventually one of Martinez/Voynov will be traded and then the team will wind up having lost two defensemen. A really hard decision is going to have to be made on the Martinez/Voynov front, and quickly.
Agree, it's not like Drewiske is the #7, it's Voynov. You would rather have Voynov playing in the AHL than sitting in the press box. Martinez was starting to come back around before his injury, it's not like he was stinking up the joint.

I thought the defensive pairs looked good last night. Nice having 3 Lefty-Righty pairs. Just don't like Stoll on the PP point, too many plays are designed for his one-timer. He has a better wrist shot than slap shot.

Old
11-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:

So, waive Drewiske and put Martinez in the press box?

I see what you're saying but as someone else mentioned, this team plays better when the Russians are around. There will be a huge learning curve. They will make rookie mistakes. But we have to let rookies in at some point. These two are clearly worth the risk, IMHO.

Not sure how to do it but what I do think is that room must be made for them somehow. We have some time due to injuries to figure it out. Hope DL can get it done.

Old
11-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:

Voynov was so good last night. I'm a Martinez fan but Voynov needs to stay and play.

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 12:04 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
True, but isn't he what Murray and Lombardi want? The "board-to-dot" player? Hunter was on the PP over Loktionov last night.
I do think he is a better "system" player for DL/TM but I'd waive him before I waived Penner or Fraser. Fraser's looked good so far, albeit just three games, and Penner, as bad as he has been, can still fetch something from a team willing to give him a change of scenry, say a 4th rounder or something. And, bad production or not, Penner is working hard and could still fit in regularaly on the 3rd/4th line based on effort alone. If he wasn't getting paid $4+ million and scoring below expectations, he wouldn't be considered a waiver candidate. His effort has been much better than Clifford's I feel.

Honestly at this point, I'm of the opinion to send down Clifford as a wake up call and keep up Loki. Not sure if it's the Sherriff Shanny affect or what, but Cliff looks a bit to timid out there for my liking.