HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NJ: T.Sestito; ANA: M. Fraser; EDM: G.Brule (Re-Entry); NAS: B.Dupont

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2011, 04:31 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUOMI View Post
Can someone says something about Bass? Is he that bad that no one dare to talk of him???
Bass played his way out of the Ottawa organization, now Columbus.

I always thought he was shaping up as a fourth line center, but he is playing mostly wing.

Old
11-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Hawkscap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Was the reason he wasnt waived sooner and bought out this past summer was because he was injured? Because everyone should've seen this coming, especially Bowman who could've (if possible) bought out Olesz and then signed anyone during free agency that would've been at least useful. Plus the buyout this past summer as opposed to next summer would be a much, much better bargin and not eat into cap space in 2 yrs that will be needed to re-sign guys like Bolland, Leddy, Frolik, Kane, Toews, etc.

He wasn't cleared to play until camp so he could not have been bought out.

Old
11-17-2011, 08:22 AM
KyleJRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
User KyleJRM
I really wanted to wait one more year before trying to salary dump Campbell.

But, as usual, Bowman knew what he was doing and is smarter than me. I had no idea Leddy would be this good, this fast.

Old
11-17-2011, 09:37 AM
TKS

I completely DISAGREE with you.
First let's confirm the one thing...YOU are right with regards to Campbell's ability. He was a great puck moving defenseman. Period.....he's making his case in Florida at almost a point a game.
Okay,...that being said,...Campbell's contract was HANDCUFFING them. They had ZERO levity. So, you saying ..."its not a good deal no matter which way you slice it" is wrong.
Hawks were actually ingenious here.
Take on Olesz to suppress (approx.) half of the income right off the bat. 7.1(Campbell) 3.125(Olesz).
Now, if Olesz didn't work out, his contract wasn't as long as Campbell's either.
He'll most likely clear waivers, making it even EASIER to bury his contract by moving it to the AHL (avoid the salary cap hit)......well done.
Here is the levity getting rid of Campbell allowed.
1) Picking up Montador (2.75)
2) Daniel Carcillo(.775) (Grit, and is fitting in well ...yeah this move was a hidden gem)
3) Sami Lepisto (.750) (youth, can handle the puck, good as a 21st-23rd man on the roster)
4) Sean O'Donnell (.850)(experience, grit, locker-room guy)
5) Jamal Mayers (.550)(Grit, and fitting in well with Kruger ...actually "quite" well)
So, that income is approx 5.65m ...This gave the Hawks the much needed guys they were looking for when Stan Bowman called all his players in last year and asked how they could improve.... They all said they needed to get tougher and grittier. They succeeded. No more getting pushed around.
Loading up the defensive core,...building on their youth (Leddy...oh, btw he's going to crush his rookie stats.....already has if you check his stats)
Brian Campbell was a good player. But in no way was worth 7.1m ......no way.
The Hawks gave Olesz that opportunity. (Whether it was a true opportunity or not, I don't know...but he did get his opportunity to shine. He didn't take it). The Hawks have serious talent sitting in Rockford. (Morin, Smith, Pirri).
Morin,...they can't bring up yet. Have to see how his health is. He's lost so much playing time. He just needs to get that ice time under his belt....He'll be up.
Pirri,... I was disappointed when he got sent down, but his playing time is vital for this year. He'll also get a call up.
Smith,...this kid is READY right now. He's a terrific player. The Hawks probably wanted him to get some playing time in Rockford after his injury. This allowed the Hawks to truly evaluate Olesz and Smith. (talk about playing your cards right).
So, to revert back to your original statement that Campbell was too valuable to lose. NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!! The Hawks get an outstanding grade from me. They keep surprising me with their player evaluations (i.e. John Scott, Dan Carcillo, moving Monty to the powerplay, etc...), and are proving to those that really know this game just how dangerous and witty that front office is.

Old
11-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Judrix
Teuvo is Kane's son

with the money they moved the Hawks got a great #5 defenseman (Montador), built depth on the blue line (Lepisto, O' Donnell), added depth and grit to the bottom 6 (Carcillo, Mayers) and got a pretty good vet on the cheap (Brunette). Not to mention will soon have $7 million in cap space to make a big time trade or just save it for FA. Oh and they are currently sitting atop the NHL standings. Not to mention all of their best players are locked up long term and are relatively young, with their 2 best players still 23 and 22 respectively. Almost forgot that they have one of the best prospect pools in the league as well.

Damn that Campbell trade really fked us over.

Old
11-17-2011, 11:24 AM
caley

Both players cleared, if there were any doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUOMI View Post
Can someone says something about Bass? Is he that bad that no one dare to talk of him???
He was an UFA this summer, so it's not surprising that no one claimed him. Just because he was waived, though, doesn't mean Columbus is getting rid of him. Aaron Portzline says the plans are to keep Bass on the team after he clears, but this gives the Blue Jackets to assign and recall him any time in the next 30 days without having to waive him again.

Old
11-17-2011, 11:31 AM
stingo

vCash: 50
Having Olesz off the books, opens up a lot of doors for the Hawks at the trade deadline.

And John Scott is actually looking half decent playing 8-12 minutes a night. Weird.

Old
11-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Judrix
Teuvo is Kane's son

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingo View Post
Having Olesz off the books, opens up a lot of doors for the Hawks at the trade deadline.

And John Scott is actually looking half decent playing 8-12 minutes a night. Weird.
you jinxed it.

Old
11-17-2011, 12:00 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Love the discussions in this thread about the Campbell/Olesz trade. Hawks have the most points in the NHL right now with cap space to boot. Florida is drastically improved and Campbell is getting a chance to be the #1 guy. It's a win/win as far as I'm concerned.

Some people are just ticked the Hawks were able to get rid of Campbell's deal.

Old
11-17-2011, 12:10 PM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Bass played his way out of the Ottawa organization, now Columbus.
So he's Bizarro Filatov.

Old
11-17-2011, 12:14 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Love the discussions in this thread about the Campbell/Olesz trade. Hawks have the most points in the NHL right now with cap space to boot. Florida is drastically improved and Campbell is getting a chance to be the #1 guy. It's a win/win as far as I'm concerned.

Some people are just ticked the Hawks were able to get rid of Campbell's deal.
I think it's a shame he's being paid so much. If he wasn't, he'd still be an integral part of the Blackhawks defense. Either way, it is a win/win. Campbell is playing like a #1 on the Panthers, Chicago gets cap-space and Leddy gets the chance to take Campbell's spot.

Old
11-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Upon clearing, Olesz has been assigned to Rockford:

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=601948

Quote:
The Chicago Blackhawks have assigned forward Rostislav Olesz (RAHS-tih-slav OH-lehsh) to the American Hockey League’s Rockford IceHogs.
This opens the option of re-entry as early as tomorrow, so that's always a possibility if the Hawks want to try to find a taker, although I believe the plan is to keep him down there so the whole cap hit stays off the books, whereas if he was claimed off of re-entry they'd still have the half. All in all the more cap space the better, especially towards the deadline, so I'd be surprised if they recall him.

Old
11-17-2011, 08:34 PM
moog35

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingo View Post

I noticed vs the Canucks last night that Scott didn't look out of place at all. He seems to have improved his positional play since I last watched him in the playoffs. Has this improving trend been going on all season?

Old
11-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post

This opens the option of re-entry as early as tomorrow, so that's always a possibility if the Hawks want to try to find a taker, although I believe the plan is to keep him down there so the whole cap hit stays off the books, whereas if he was claimed off of re-entry they'd still have the half. All in all the more cap space the better, especially towards the deadline, so I'd be surprised if they recall him.
It would be more cost effective for Hawks to just wait till summer and buy him out

Not a bad buyout cap hit first 2 years (Very little actually) and his final 2 year aren't horrible cap hits of buyout

Old
11-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Orange Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg View Post
So he's Bizarro Filatov.
dont know why but i loled

Old
11-17-2011, 11:19 PM
Keke Mortsons helmet

Lawdy Mama that Olesz has one scary contract!

Old
11-17-2011, 11:27 PM
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I think it's a shame he's being paid so much. If he wasn't, he'd still be an integral part of the Blackhawks defense. Either way, it is a win/win. Campbell is playing like a #1 on the Panthers, Chicago gets cap-space and Leddy gets the chance to take Campbell's spot.
Catch-22. If he wasn't paid so much, he would have never been a Blackhawk.

Old
11-18-2011, 01:15 AM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Kannegiesser View Post
Lawdy Mama that Olesz has one scary contract!
Campbell's was even scarier on the Hawks.

Old
11-18-2011, 01:49 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

this was Rustys NHL career.

Doubt the Hawks will buy him our or put him on Re Entry.

Old
11-18-2011, 01:58 AM
Keke Mortsons helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post

I don't think there is much risk of anyone claiming him on re-entry as he's never really shown himself to be much of a player at any point in his pro career;even at half the price.

Old
11-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Kannegiesser View Post
I don't think there is much risk of anyone claiming him on re-entry as he's never really shown himself to be much of a player at any point in his pro career;even at half the price.
The problem with someone claiming him on re-entry is that the Hawks would be stuck with half the cap hit for the duration of his contract, something they don't want or need. They need the cap space to use at the deadline. It's much more useful to them than having half of Olesz's cap hit as dead space just to get rid of him.

Old
11-19-2011, 08:36 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Other one is near 1k.

Sep. 24: Confirmed: BOS: S.Chaput, N.McIver, J.Tardif; BUF: A.Kotalik, S.Morrisonn, D.Leggio, D.Whitmore; CAR: B.Bellemore, N.Blanchard, J.Soryal; CHI: C.Huet, B.Segal; COL: E.Brophey, D.Liffiton, G.Mauldin, D.Van Der Gulik; DAL: M.Fortunus, E.Godard, B.Lukowich, T.Morin, R.Sawada, D.Spang, F.Wathier; FLO: Mark Cullen, B.Kearns, T.Strachan, N.Yonkman; NYR: W.Redden, P.Valentenko; PHI: J.Bacashihua, J.Backlund, D.Jancevski, J.Kalinski, S.Legein; PHO: M.Beaudoin, A.Bolduc, G.Stafford; WAS: F.Bouchard, K.Greentree, Z.Miskovic; WAS: K.Aucoin, D.Sabourin

Sep. 25: Confirmed: FLO: M.Caruso; MIN: D.Endras, J.DiSalvatore, J.Ortmeyer, W.Peters, J.Penner, J.Taffe; SJ: B.Guite, M.Pelech; TB: M.Angelidis, M.Ouellet, R.Petiot, A.Picard, T.Smith, M.Vernace, J.Wyman; TOR: L.Caputi, J.Finger, R.Hamilton, M.Zigomanis; WAS: D.Richmond, R.Potulny, C.Hanson.

Sep 26: CGY: B.Mikkelson; STL: J.Cheechoo, T.Hensick, D.Syvret; CHI: B.McLean; ANA: M.Bell and D.Sexton; FLO: S.Reinprecht: WAS: R.Potulny: NJ: S.Gionta: LA: M.Cliche; PHO: J.Pogge.

Sep. 27: LA: C.Paddock; MTL: N.Lawson and B.Willsie; NYR: A.Deveaux and A.Thuresson; PHI: To.Sestito; CLB: A.Joudrey, C.Bass, D.Byers and N.Drazenovic; BOS: Z.Hamill and T.Whitfield; WPG: P.Mannino, J.Jaffray, A.Kulda, M.Flood and R.Holzapfel; OTT: T.Conboy, F.Lessard, C.Locke and M.Parrish;

Sep. 28: NYI: T.Marcinko, T.Frischmon, T. Wallace, T.Wishart and D.Reese; PIT: R.Craig, N.Johnson, C.McDonald and S.Munroe.

Sep. 29: CAR: C.Durno, J.Matsumoto, M.Roy, B.Sanguinetti, J.Peters, J.Samson, Brett Sutter; WAS: C.Bourque, S.Collins, P.McNeil; FLO: T.Plante.

Sep. 30: NAS: T.Sloan; WPG: B.Festerling and S.Machacek; LA: A.Campbell; CAL: G.Desbiens; ANA: P.Maroon; OTT: K.Daugavins.

Oct. 01: VAN: M.Mancari, M.Duco, R.Parent; PHO: M.Pouliot, V.Tikhonov; NYR: J.Mitchell, K.Newbury; WPG: T.Stapleton; CLB: M.St Pierre, A.Giroux, N.Holden.

Oct. 02: NYR: D.Weise; STL: A.Cracknell.

Oct. 03: BOS: A.Khudobin; CLB: R.Russell; EDM: R.O'Marra; R.Keller; J.Green, G.Brule; DET: G.Exelby, C.Conner, D.Janik, J.MacDonald, L.Pyett; NAS: K.Wilson; NJ: M.Corrente, P.Harrold, J.Leach, Ti.Sestito, S.Veilleux, V.Zharkov, M.Fraser, R.Pelley; PIT: A.Picard, J.Williams; TOR: D.Boyce, J.Crabb, M.Lashoff.

Oct. 04: CAL: J.Henry; FLO: M.Kostka; MTL: M.Blunden; NYR: S.Avery, B.Bell, S.Bickel; PHI: O.Bartulis, B.Betts, M.Walker; PHO: C.McElhinney, N.Oystrick; SJ: M.Moore; VAN: V.Oreskoich.

Oct. 05: MTL: J.Woywita; PHO: B.McLean;

Oct. 06: MIN: E.Nystrom.

Oct. 07: COL: K.Cumiskey; MTL: J.Callahan.

Oct. 10: ANA: Jeff Deslauriers, Brian McGrattan; EDM: T.Chorney.

Oct. 11: BOS: J.Hennessy, A.Bodnarchuk; NAS: Z.Stortini; MIN: E.Nystrom [Re-Entry].

Oct. 12: ANA: T.Bodie; PHO: K.Chipchura.

Oct. 13: NYI: J.Colliton

Oct 17: ANA: Nate Guenin.

Oct. 19: MIN: D.Bagnall; CAL: R.Ivanans.

Oct. 20: VAN: N.Baumgartner; TB: S.Jackson.

Oct. 25: FLO: Ryan Carter.

Oct. 27: WPG: Aaron Gagnon.

Oct. 28: WPG: Brett McLean; COL: Cedrick Desjardins

Oct. 29: DET: Fabian Brunnstrom

Oct. 31: NYR: Sean Avery (Re-Entry); NYI: Trevor Gillies; WAS: D.J. King.

Nov. 01: PIT: Boris Valabik.

Nov. 02: MIN: Matt Kassian; TAM: Mattias Ritola.

Nov. 03: BUF: Paul Szczechura.

Nov. 04: WPG: Kenndal McArdle; FLO: Adam Comrie {Comrie is on $100 Release/Buy-Out Waivers}

Nov. 07: NJ: Mark Fraser and Rod Pelley.

Nov. 08: TB: Mattias Ritola {Ritola is on $125 Release/Buy-Out Waivers}

Nov. 09: STL: Taylor Chorney; WPG: Ben Maxwell.

Nov. 10: CGY: Niklas Hagman

Nov. 12: CGY: Niklas Hagman (Re-Entry Waivers)

Nov. 16: CHI: Rostislav Olesz; CLB: Cody Bass.

CLAIMED OFF WAIVERS
Sep 29: MIN claimsNick Johnson from PIT
Oct. 04: VAN claims Dale Weise from NYR
Oct. 05: MTL claims Blair Betts from PHI (Claim later reversed due to Betts being injured, returned to PHI)
Oct. 06: NYR claims Jeff Woywitka from MTL; WPG claims Brett McLean from PHO.
Oct. 11: STL claims Taylor Chorney from EDM; NAS claims B.McGrattan from ANA.
Oct. 26: NJ claims Ryan Carter from FLO
Oct. 29: PHX claims Brett McLean from WPG
Nov. 10: EDM claims Taylor Chorney from STL; ANA claims Ben Maxwell from WPG.
Nov. 14: ANA claims Niklas Hagman on re-entry waivers from CHI.
Hagman from CBJ right?

Old
11-19-2011, 08:39 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
Hagman from CBJ right?
Hagman from CAL right?

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
11-19-2011, 08:46 PM
caley

Fixed!

Old
11-20-2011, 10:23 AM
GraniteHead

is there a Vegas line where I can put 20 bucks down on O'Sullivan being the next name added to the list?

Closed Thread