HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose Proposed Trade Thread (11/30 - Rangers kicking tires on Bobby Ryan)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-17-2011, 02:28 PM
  #301
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I take Whitney over all those guys save Doan and Iginla.
Agreed. Whitney is the perfect deadline addition for this team. He could play any of the top three lines, he's an expiring contract, and he won't cost nearly as much as Doan or Iginla while having the potential to produce realtivaly similar numbers in the playoffs.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline  
Old
11-17-2011, 02:28 PM
  #302
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury4ever View Post
Nash would have to request a trade. In that scenario, could Del Zotto (if he plays well) top forward prospect, plus a couple picks between rd 1-3 make CBJ think? I would certainly consider something in that ballpark as NYR.

Nash is exactly the type of guy they could use up front. Guys like Hemsky & Whitney are very redundant if Stepan keeps developing and playing well. Rangers need to be able to play defense first in the playoffs, and be tough enough to take a beating. Too many midgets will not help against Boston or Philly.
Cap hit. Cap hit. Cap hit.

Rick Nash has a 7.8 MILLION dollar cap hit.

DrSutton* is offline  
Old
11-17-2011, 03:00 PM
  #303
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise
 
ChrisKreider20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,342
vCash: 500
If Hemsky can be acquired he is my choice. The guy is near elite when healthy.
Depends on the asking price is though. Wouldn't give up much more than a prospect and 2nd...

ChrisKreider20 is offline  
Old
11-17-2011, 03:08 PM
  #304
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
...
Sam and Joe speculating is not a source.
...
While the Doctor is right to say such speculation is far from official, since it is obvious that Sam and Joe have access to people in the know as to what IS going on, directly themselves or via other indirect but legitimately connected sources (players, etc.) I would say that, just because stuff may be off the record or sometimes without official verification does not always mean anything and everything so speculated by Sam and Joe is beyond credibility and should not be taken at face value.

If Sam and Joe say they hear people saying they [those people] THINK something is happening, then there's no problem, as long as it is couched as a rumor. Sam and Joe may have to protect sources by quoting off the record, so as not to constitute something that might be construed by those people/their sources as tampering.

So Sam and Joe comments ok, as long as we all take them w/grain of salt.

bernmeister is offline  
Old
11-17-2011, 03:13 PM
  #305
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,258
vCash: 500
yeah, only way to make it work is to ship considerable $$$ the other way. Wolski & avery would assuredly have to go the other way...as would Brandon Dubinsky for sure.

and theres no way Columbus does that trade.

Inferno is offline  
Old
11-17-2011, 03:20 PM
  #306
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Cap hit. Cap hit. Cap hit.

Rick Nash has a 7.8 MILLION dollar cap hit.
This appears to be the bottom line
Even if Redden is still 4.5 mil cap hit, + have to check w/how many years of that are left, there is not a lot of deadwood that can be sent over for cap balance, assuming most of what we send is draft + prospects we can be comfortable giving up.

Plus in Redden's case it would be like having his whole nut count during the season.

ONLY way this works MAYBE is if Nash signs 3 added years and whole contract can be restructured for less --- not sure to what exact degree that is possible.

No. Our big cap his are Richards, Gabby and Hank.
Not sure how creative we can be if we want to add more, even for the right player(s).

bernmeister is offline  
Old
11-17-2011, 03:21 PM
  #307
bluecollarblueshirt*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
the jackets don't trade nash, but they should. But do they really have anything else to offer especially since they are in dire need of a good back up or even a true number one goalie

bluecollarblueshirt* is offline  
Old
11-17-2011, 03:21 PM
  #308
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
While the Doctor is right to say such speculation is far from official, since it is obvious that Sam and Joe have access to people in the know as to what IS going on, directly themselves or via other indirect but legitimately connected sources (players, etc.) I would say that, just because stuff may be off the record or sometimes without official verification does not always mean anything and everything so speculated by Sam and Joe is beyond credibility and should not be taken at face value.

If Sam and Joe say they hear people saying they [those people] THINK something is happening, then there's no problem, as long as it is couched as a rumor. Sam and Joe may have to protect sources by quoting off the record, so as not to constitute something that might be construed by those people/their sources as tampering.

So Sam and Joe comments ok, as long as we all take them w/grain of salt.
No. To all of this. Sam and Joe are not insiders around the NHL. About the Rangers? Yeah sure. But other teams, no. McKenzie, Dreger - those are legitimate NHL insiders.

DrSutton* is offline  
Old
11-17-2011, 04:02 PM
  #309
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
ONLY way this works MAYBE is if Nash signs 3 added years and whole contract can be restructured for less --- not sure to what exact degree that is possible.
I'm sure you've been told this before, but contracts can't be restructured.

Anyone thinking we are going to trade for a player that isn't a pending UFA/RFA, forget about it. Look at Sather's track record since he's been here. That's not his MO. And with the uncertainty of the next CBA, you can be damn sure that Sather isn't going to add money to next year's cap.

GAGLine is online now  
Old
11-17-2011, 04:10 PM
  #310
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
11/17/11 at 03:42 PM ET | Comments (1)

from Pierre LeBrun of ESPN,

Although the Columbus Blue Jackets continue to work the phones looking for a netminder, one name that is not involved in their talks is that of captain Rick Nash.

“Not once have I ever brought up his name,” Jackets GM Scott Howson told ESPN.com Thursday.

Sure, other teams have obviously inquired about Nash, but Howson has quickly closed that down.

For his part, Nash hasn’t asked to get out, either.

“Rick has never asked for a trade, contrary to what has been reported,” his agent Joe Resnick told ESPN.com on Thursday. “Rick is focused on trying to turn things around in Columbus and help the team get some wins.”
Let's end it then shall we?

DrSutton* is offline  
Old
11-17-2011, 04:17 PM
  #311
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Gotta love the trade proposals that are 3 + 2 + 2 + 1 million dollar players for a 7 or 8 million dollar player and somehow that offsets the money when its time to ice a team.

MSG the place to be* is offline  
Old
11-17-2011, 04:49 PM
  #312
Firestorm
Registered User
 
Firestorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada Eh?
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Gotta love the trade proposals that are 3 + 2 + 2 + 1 million dollar players for a 7 or 8 million dollar player and somehow that offsets the money when its time to ice a team.
Four quarters for a dollar seems like it.

Firestorm is offline  
Old
11-17-2011, 05:07 PM
  #313
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Four quarters for a dollar seems like it.
The trade is even in salary. However, the team only getting one guy back has to replace 3 more players on the roster.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
11-17-2011, 05:16 PM
  #314
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 4,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
The trade is even in salary. However, the team only getting one guy back has to replace 3 more players on the roster.
People + math = : (

Synergy27 is offline  
Old
11-17-2011, 07:19 PM
  #315
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I'm sure you've been told this before, but contracts can't be restructured.

Anyone thinking we are going to trade for a player that isn't a pending UFA/RFA, forget about it. Look at Sather's track record since he's been here. That's not his MO. And with the uncertainty of the next CBA, you can be damn sure that Sather isn't going to add money to next year's cap.
Thanks for reminding me.

bernmeister is offline  
Old
11-17-2011, 07:23 PM
  #316
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
No. To all of this. Sam and Joe are not insiders around the NHL. About the Rangers? Yeah sure. But other teams, no. McKenzie, Dreger - those are legitimate NHL insiders.
I disagree because even if they are not burning up the phones regularly on a dedicated basis like you'd expect from a GM, word gets around.

Do you think these guys don't say hello to John Davidson + Kevin Lowe?
How about the guys that talk to guys like Davidson + Lowe?

So yeah, some credible word can get through.

bernmeister is offline  
Old
11-17-2011, 08:11 PM
  #317
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,677
vCash: 500
if the reports are true, would Jeff Carter be a target?

MDZ, Zuccs, Thomas and the NYR 1st in 2012 (wolski added to help off-set salary)

for Carter and a 2nd?

I believe he's played some wing in his career, and even if he didn't, having Richards, Carter and Stepan down the middle would be killer

Double A - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Carter - Callahan
Avery - Richards - Fedotenko
Prust - Boyle - Christensen

top three lines would all be capable of playing top line minutes so the order is not actual preference.

pld459666 is offline  
Old
11-17-2011, 08:18 PM
  #318
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
if the reports are true, would Jeff Carter be a target?

MDZ, Zuccs, Thomas and the NYR 1st in 2012 (wolski added to help off-set salary)

for Carter and a 2nd?

I believe he's played some wing in his career, and even if he didn't, having Richards, Carter and Stepan down the middle would be killer

Double A - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Carter - Callahan
Avery - Richards - Fedotenko
Prust - Boyle - Christensen

top three lines would all be capable of playing top line minutes so the order is not actual preference.
Whered you read this? Personally, I would really be interested in Carter, but I can't imagine he gets traded any time soon, at least not until the draft.

Also, I would just convert carter to wing full time.

Columbus is D deficient so I'd imagine that a D man would be involved. He was traded for a top 6 forward and the 8th overall pick.

DrSutton* is offline  
Old
11-17-2011, 08:20 PM
  #319
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,677
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Whered you read this? Personally, I would really be interested in Carter, but I can't imagine he gets traded any time soon, at least not until the draft.

Also, I would just convert carter to wing full time.

Columbus is D deficient so I'd imagine that a D man would be involved. He was traded for a top 6 forward and the 8th overall pick.
hence the inclusion of Del Zotto

in the trade rumors section, there's speculation that Carter may have asked out of CLB

pld459666 is offline  
Old
11-17-2011, 08:20 PM
  #320
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
I don't want Carter anywhere near the Rangers.

Guy was traded and played what, 5 games for Columbus and now wants out? Give me a break. Grow some balls and give it a chance.

beastly115 is offline  
Old
11-17-2011, 08:58 PM
  #321
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
I don't want Carter anywhere near the Rangers.

Guy was traded and played what, 5 games for Columbus and now wants out? Give me a break. Grow some balls and give it a chance.
In all fairness to him, he signed to play in Philly for all those years, not Columbus. He never wanted to be there in the first place.
And at this point, there is very little to give a chance to there. He's been asked to play a role (playmaker to Nash) that isn't his game at all.

DrSutton* is offline  
Old
11-17-2011, 09:17 PM
  #322
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,711
vCash: 500
I would love to see the Flyers board if Columbus traded Carter to the Rangers.

Man that would really come back to bite them in the @ss for years to come.

UAGoalieGuy is offline  
Old
11-17-2011, 09:24 PM
  #323
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
if the reports are true, would Jeff Carter be a target?

MDZ, Zuccs, Thomas and the NYR 1st in 2012 (wolski added to help off-set salary)

for Carter and a 2nd?

I believe he's played some wing in his career, and even if he didn't, having Richards, Carter and Stepan down the middle would be killer

Double A - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Carter - Callahan
Avery - Richards - Fedotenko
Prust - Boyle - Christensen

top three lines would all be capable of playing top line minutes so the order is not actual preference.
I'd put Carter on Richards wing, and let BR set up that great shot of his. I'd love to see Carter as a Ranger.

jas is online now  
Old
11-17-2011, 09:34 PM
  #324
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
In all fairness to him, he signed to play in Philly for all those years, not Columbus. He never wanted to be there in the first place.
And at this point, there is very little to give a chance to there. He's been asked to play a role (playmaker to Nash) that isn't his game at all.
And in all fairness to Columbus, Carter is supposed to be a professional. And it apparently was him not being a professional that got him moved out of philly. Time to man up and take some responsibility for his situation and find a way to improve it, rather than run away from it. He's done nothing but pout since he was traded.

GAGLine is online now  
Old
11-17-2011, 09:47 PM
  #325
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
And in all fairness to Columbus, Carter is supposed to be a professional. And it apparently was him not being a professional that got him moved out of philly. Time to man up and take some responsibility for his situation and find a way to improve it, rather than run away from it. He's done nothing but pout since he was traded.
I'm not going to turn this thread into a carters wrong/cbj is wrong thread, but I just think when you are lied to, then thrust into a situation that is professionally worse than what your former team and best friend was put into, and then get asked to play a role that you've never played in your professional career, on a team with no hope for getting better in the immediate future, then I can sympathize with that.

I personally have no sympathy for Columbus in this situation. Carter was not the answer to their problems. Nothing he can do personally is going to turn that team around. They should have done their due diligence.

What I don't understand is why people all say Rick Nash should ask out of Columbus, a situation he willing entered into with a long term contract, but Carter wanting out of a situation he never asked to be in makes him a bad guy. Not exactly the same thing, for sure, but similar.

That's my take on it. I'd take him on this team. Convert him to wing, let him snipe all day.

DrSutton* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.