HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2011, 07:28 PM
wahoyaho

vCash: 1058
Tiny draft class

Old
11-16-2011, 11:45 PM
FiveAndGame

vCash: 500
I was looking at Craig Button's top-60 list for Nov. and was thinking about who we may draft.

Based on how the season will hopefully finish I was looking at Slater Koekkoek as a possible selection. This is a report on him:
http://hockeyprospect.com/index.php/...-koekkoek.html

Old
11-16-2011, 11:51 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveAndGame View Post
I was looking at Craig Button's top-60 list for Nov. and was thinking about who we may draft.

Based on how the season will hopefully finish I was looking at Slater Koekkoek as a possible selection. This is a report on him:
http://hockeyprospect.com/index.php/...-koekkoek.html
He'll be a riser and I assume by "hopefully finish" you're not talking about a Top 20 pick, haha.

Old
11-17-2011, 12:27 AM
thefeebster

My two favorite D men in the 15-25 range are Koekkoek and Ceci. If we could get one of those guys, it'd make my day. If we look at forwards, i like Girgensons or Collberg in the 1st.

Dalton Thrower is also a big riser that is having his game really come together, a physical D-man who plays bigger than his size, can skate well and is playing well on both sides of the puck. Grew up in Squamish and North Van, playing with the North Shore Winter Club, and would definitely settle down the crowd looking for a local boy. Hope he is still around for our 2nd rounder. If not, this Hertl sounds intriguing as well. Hopefully we will see him at the WJC.

For a guy passed over, i would still like to give Joakim Ryan a chance. He was my highest rated passover. A small puck mover that is continuing to put up points 3-2-5 in 5 games as a freshman at Cornell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
I haven't seen him play a ton of games but I really don't see what all the fuss is about in Grigorenko.

I would say that Frk is a better hockey player, though a bit rough around the edges. Of course anyone who takes on Frk is going to have their hands full. He seems to really have work ethic and attitude issues in spades.
Going to find it difficult to find someone with the same opinion.

The way Grigorenko sees the game and can control it is a rarity. I just see him in a completely different class than Frk.

Last edited by thefeebster: 11-17-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old
11-17-2011, 12:49 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
What about Charles Hudon in the 2nd round? Very talented and better defensively than given credit for. Plays a bit of a perimeter game though and lacks speed and size. Led Canada with 5G 4A 9P at the Ivan Hlinka tournament.

Old
11-17-2011, 01:13 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Dillon Fournier's another D-man who's caught my interest... where would he be projected to go?

edit: Wow this draft is deep as heck on D.

Old
11-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Going to find it difficult to find someone with the same opinion.

The way Grigorenko sees the game and can control it is a rarity. I just see him in a completely different class than Frk.
Meh, I can only speak to my personal experience, which is only a few games. I'm not about to spout off about scouting reports and pretend I know what I'm talking about or try to super impose a scouting report on what I saw. I didn't see what the fuss was about and that's all I was saying. We will see as the season goes on. I will say that Frk, who I have seen play a ton hasn't necessarily had an opportunity to show what level he would have been as he has been out all season with a concussion. I have no doubt he would be right with mackinnon in team scoring or higher if he did play. Awesome set of tools and skill effortless scorer with an NHL calibre shot. Also brings and entertaining type of fiestyness to a game. His problem is his attitude and determination to do the little things like show up to camp in his best condition possible. Would have liked to have seen how he responded to the environment of a much better team this year and presumably how he brought more effort to being the best he can be.

Since he is going to be out til Xmas at least and playing catch up for the rest of the season conditioning wise, it's a shame for his draft year.

Old
11-17-2011, 03:53 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Adding to Galchenyuk, Morgan Rielly is supposedly out for the season with a torn ACL, I think. Right before he was injured, he was starting to look like a game breaking talent. Probably a risk to take him early in the top 10 but cowen turned out just great after his injury, just took some time.
Reilly is from Vancouver too. As much as I like Galchenyuk, if Reilly fell to us I would say we have to draft this kid. He profiles similar to a Duncan Keith based on his skills and two way play.

11-17-2011, 04:04 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Reilly is from Vancouver too. As much as I like Galchenyuk, if Reilly fell to us I would say we have to draft this kid. He profiles similar to a Duncan Keith based on his skills and two way play.
Agreed, but I would think even with their injuries, Galchenyuk and Reilly will go late teens early twenties, so if this season goes as we all hope the Canucks will have to trade up to get them (although I wouldn't be too upset if they did).

Old
11-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Agreed, but I would think even with their injuries, Galchenyuk and Reilly will go late teens early twenties, so if this season goes as we all hope the Canucks will have to trade up to get them (although I wouldn't be too upset if they did).
They just need to keep their draft picks in order to trade up. Can't really trade up without a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Important draft for Gillis.

Hodgson, Sauve from 2008. Don't expect Rai to make the NHL
Schroeder, Rodin, KConn, Price, Anderson, Cannata from 2009. Schroeder in his 2nd AHL season. Rodin, 1st AHL season, KConn 2nd AHL season, Price 3rd year in NCAA (probably want to see if they can sign him in the summer if he's in their future plans, otherwise, let him develop another year in college), Anderson is signed and we'll see if the Nucks can bring him over next season, Cannata finishing up his senior year in the NCAA, see if he is signed to a pro deal in the summer.
McNally, Polasek, Friesen, Ilihati, Hannay from 2010. McNally just started his freshman year in Harvard, so he's likely 2 more years from signing a pro contract, Polasek 1st year in the AHL, Friesen final year in the Q, Ilihati might want to sign him and have him play in the AHL next season if he is developing in Finland. Hannay, not much expectations for him in the NHL.
Jensen, Honzig, etc. from 2011. Jensen is the only one with a shot at the NHL next season.

Help for the Canucks next season lies in Sauve, Schroeder, and Jensen. KConn, have to see how the season plays out to see if he would warrant a 7th Dman spot next season. Of course, there is the free agent signings of Lack, Sweatt, and Tanev to ease things.

Nucks really do need a youngster on D or Forward to crack the top 4 and 6 group. D especially given Salo's age, and Ballard not fitting in.

Old
11-18-2011, 02:30 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
Awesome set of tools and skill effortless scorer with an NHL calibre shot. Also brings and entertaining type of fiestyness to a game. His problem is his attitude and determination to do the little things like show up to camp in his best condition possible. Would have liked to have seen how he responded to the environment of a much better team this year and presumably how he brought more effort to being the best he can be.

Since he is going to be out til Xmas at least and playing catch up for the rest of the season conditioning wise, it's a shame for his draft year.
I think this is still the most concerning part and we still haven't even got to mentioning his skating. With Frk's history of losing his temper on the ice, the spear or yelling at refs, he just does not fit Gillis's MO - character is a key component. If you remember, we are the team that makes draft eligibles take several personality tests in person and our tests were said to be one of the most rigorous. Frk just doesn't fit that IMO, despite his offensive talent.

A poor work ethic is generally a red flag to me. I read he worked pretty hard in the preseason games, so maybe he can change that and bring some more consistency when he gets back.

Next, its his skating. If people think we have problems with Hodgson's acceleration, I don't know what kinds of things would be said about Frk's acceleration or mobility for that matter. Hodgson never really had problems with his acceleration or top end speed or mobility in juniors, but for Frk, it stands out even in juniors.

Maybe he can come back and fix all those areas, but at this point, he is a talented player yet there are still a few key areas he needs to improve on to be a top 10 pick and challenge Grigorenko. But to each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I agree. A must draft if he falls into the 16-24 range, although i can see him holding steady in the 10-12 spots. And an apt player comparison.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:04 AM
Keke Mortsons helmet

Rule out local or even western kids as Gillis won't draft them.With no Europeans slotted where Vancouver is likely to be drafting look for Gillis to go off the board and reach down for a Swede like he did with Rodin or perhaps go with someone like Philip Di Guissepe out of Michigan.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:07 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
regardless of his injury, I think a team lower than 15 takes a shot at Galchenyuk. Especially if there is a team with multiple picks in the first round.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:09 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

One other question, BPA or drafting a dman in the 1st this year?

seems like the crop of D are pretty deep

Old
11-18-2011, 03:47 AM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
One other question, BPA or drafting a dman in the 1st this year?

seems like the crop of D are pretty deep
Most likely a D will be BPA considering this years CHL F crop.

Old
11-19-2011, 12:53 AM
thefeebster

^^ Yep, just seems likely that BPA will be a D.

But i still really love the way Zemgus Girgensons plays, seen him ranked top 10 to low 20s, so there's definitely differing opinions. I feel he plays the right way - physical, good hands/shot, has a non-stop motor, reliable at both ends of the ice and is a leader with an unquestionable work ethic. Is a natural center, but is said to play wing just as well. The quotes on this guy from his coach are just what Gillis looks for:

Quote:
At the beginning of the year, we had all our players write down their two best attributes,” Montgomery recalled. “Zemgus wrote ‘puck protection’ and ‘I will never give up.’ And I couldn’t agree more. I describe him as a relentless player. His intensity, his never-say-die attitude; you would think he comes from Moose Jaw.” http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...irgensons.html
Quote:
"You can pretty much throw (Girgensons) out there with anyone because he has a high level of hockey sense, makes his teammates better and gets them the puck at good times," Montgomery told NHL.com. "He's a give-and-go player and has great speed, but the most important thing is, as he goes, the people around him work harder. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=600465
Is that not the kind of guy this team needs? Despite not speaking great english, he was made Captain after one year in the USHL. He is a very loyal guy if you read his comments about possibly moving to the Dub.

And how could you not like this:

Quote:
4. Whom in the NHL do you watch and say, "That's someone I need to be playing like?" or "I see parts of his game I can work into mine?"

"I like Ryan Kesler [of the Vancouver Canucks] because we play the same style and he has so much passion for hockey. He would be the one I would choose." http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...aining-content
Only difference is skating. I don't see anything wrong with Girgensons' skating, its not on Kesler's level. But playing style is similar for sure.

Another guy similar to ZG is Jarrod Maidens, who has been rising up the lists in the past 2 months. Heres an HF article for those interested: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...d_with_effort/

Old
11-19-2011, 03:24 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

it seems like we really need to take a forward who's best assets are 1) good interview 2) great skating 3) Decent size

Jensen's mobility doesnt look great. Schroeder is a shrimp. Hodgson cant accelerate.

Old
11-19-2011, 11:17 AM
whoshouse

So do the Canucks have all their picks for this draft? I believe they also have a 4th rounder from the Ehrhoff trade..

Old
11-19-2011, 02:22 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoshouse View Post
So do the Canucks have all their picks for this draft? I believe they also have a 4th rounder from the Ehrhoff trade..
They are missing their 3rd from the Lappy trade.

Old
11-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
it seems like we really need to take a forward who's best assets are 1) good interview 2) great skating 3) Decent size

Jensen's mobility doesnt look great. Schroeder is a shrimp. Hodgson cant accelerate.
How is Jensen's mobility in any way a problem? He skates better than Hodgson despite being a big guy.

Old
11-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
I think this is still the most concerning part and we still haven't even got to mentioning his skating. With Frk's history of losing his temper on the ice, the spear or yelling at refs, he just does not fit Gillis's MO - character is a key component. If you remember, we are the team that makes draft eligibles take several personality tests in person and our tests were said to be one of the most rigorous. Frk just doesn't fit that IMO, despite his offensive talent.

A poor work ethic is generally a red flag to me. I read he worked pretty hard in the preseason games, so maybe he can change that and bring some more consistency when he gets back.

Next, its his skating. If people think we have problems with Hodgson's acceleration, I don't know what kinds of things would be said about Frk's acceleration or mobility for that matter. Hodgson never really had problems with his acceleration or top end speed or mobility in juniors, but for Frk, it stands out even in juniors.

Maybe he can come back and fix all those areas, but at this point, he is a talented player yet there are still a few key areas he needs to improve on to be a top 10 pick and challenge Grigorenko. But to each their own.
I'm not saying he's a good fit for us. Given our track record with drafting Mooseheads, I would say just stay away just because. The latest, Grenier, is going to be a waste of a pick. I would say he might be a great moneypuck pick for a team though. His attitude or commitment are in question, and he has an unorthodox skating style, but he is has the skills that will matter and produce at the NHL level.

As far as his minuses go, I tend to agree. We don't have much to go on either though. He was out of shape severely coming into camp last year and didn't seem to recover 100%. The problems with his skating in my opinion had a lot to do with conditioning. His top speed is pretty good, though by no means excellent. He was the only really good player on a bad team, was counted on to play a lot of minutes and he was in bad shape. He has not played a single game in his draft year where good players always make a substantial jump in their production and usually figure out conditioning issues to a degree in which they can actually show what they can bring if nothing else (which Frk seemed to do this year).

We'll see how it goes. The fact that he is still rated so high says something about what people, myself included, see in him.

Old
11-21-2011, 12:09 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
^^ Yep, just seems likely that BPA will be a D.

But i still really love the way Zemgus Girgensons plays, seen him ranked top 10 to low 20s, so there's definitely differing opinions. I feel he plays the right way - physical, good hands/shot, has a non-stop motor, reliable at both ends of the ice and is a leader with an unquestionable work ethic. Is a natural center, but is said to play wing just as well. The quotes on this guy from his coach are just what Gillis looks for:

Is that not the kind of guy this team needs? Despite not speaking great english, he was made Captain after one year in the USHL. He is a very loyal guy if you read his comments about possibly moving to the Dub.

And how could you not like this:

Only difference is skating. I don't see anything wrong with Girgensons' skating, its not on Kesler's level. But playing style is similar for sure.

Another guy similar to ZG is Jarrod Maidens, who has been rising up the lists in the past 2 months. Heres an HF article for those interested: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...d_with_effort/
Girgensons is the forward I want if we cant get one of the high end two-way defensman (Ceci, Reilly, Reinhart), but I've already resigned that we wont be able to get him.

I think he ends up with a Zibanejad-esque rise into the 7-12 zone. Definitely a player who embodies what a Canucks forward "should" be.

Old
11-21-2011, 01:53 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
How is Jensen's mobility in any way a problem? He skates better than Hodgson despite being a big guy.
And you dont see Hodgson mobility as a problem?

Old
11-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
They are missing their 3rd from the Lappy trade.
Didn't we get one back in the booth trade?

Old
11-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
And you dont see Hodgson mobility as a problem?
And Jensen skates better than him so... where exactly are you going with this? Not every player is a speedster but Jensen can skate well enough for it not to be a weakness (like it is for Hodgson).

Closed Thread