HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eller or Desharnais

View Poll Results: Who would you take?
Lars Eller "The Great Dane" 128 92.09%
David Desharnais "deHARNAY" 11 7.91%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
Gomez being out does not have any impact on Eller. Eller stays on the 3rd line regardless of Gomez or DD because these players play a different role. Martin gives him no PP time but relies on him for defensive purposes at ES and for the PK.

He should have more points considering the chances his line generated in the early going. But he missed training camp and now is missing Kostitsyn. He doesn't play with Cole and Pacioretty like DD. He doesn't get a regular shift, or any at all, like DD does on the PP. I can't say Eller would certainly produce more than DD if he took DD's role but I am certain his production would be better.

Its normal for a player to have a bit of a fall in performance after missing an extended period of time. No practice and no training camps has to hurt the conditioning. Like I said, if AK was still in the lineup he would have more points.

just remember Pacioretty and DD ripped it up together without Cole

Habaneros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I dislike when people compare years of "pro NA experience". By same token I can say Plekanec played for top pro league in czech full time when he was 17, and getting a 3 game stint in 1998-99 which may have made him 16-17 years old. DD played in ECHL at 21 years old, something I'd consider not as good as czech league. In any case, if we track PRO experience and not just NA pro, Plekanec had more as he skipped juniors, DD played in juniors and ECHL till he was 21. Only starting AHL full time with 11 AHL GP under his belt at 22 years old. Not picking on you, i just would rather have some context as I find saying "NA pro experience" is selective. Plek was playing against men at a young age, DD was not. Does it change the fact that Plek is better than DD? Not really, he just is a better two-way player.

I honestly believe DD's biggest obstacle is himself. Ironic considering his size Jokes aside though, if he keeps hustling and gains experience and works on his game, he can be a 2nd line center in this league but if he gets too comfortable, he can't be effective on pure talent/vision.

Not sure if people know this but DD was given ATO with the NYI after juniors and wasn't signed after posting 2 points in 7 GP in the AHL. Now...do we consider this a good move on management or do we only take into account the players we let go?

I highly disagree with that. There's a huge step. If what you are saying were true, then howcome Plek had to learn the ropes in the AHL for several seasons?? Just look at Emelin. He spent a few years in a "pro league" and he has a hard time adapting to the NHL speed. Might've been way more ready if those years had been spent in the AHL.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 04:25 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
just remember Pacioretty and DD ripped it up together without Cole
Just remember it was in the AHL.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Just remember it was in the AHL.
You must not be watching the games in NHL of late, since they been reunited for first time since Ahl .

Old
11-17-2011, 04:31 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
You must not be watching the games in NHL of late, since they been reunited for first time since Ahl .
Either with Patches/Cole or Patches/AK, the wingers were making that line go in the right direction, not DD, sorry.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 04:39 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I highly disagree with that. There's a huge step. If what you are saying were true, then howcome Plek had to learn the ropes in the AHL for several seasons?? Just look at Emelin. He spent a few years in a "pro league" and he has a hard time adapting to the NHL speed. Might've been way more ready if those years had been spent in the AHL.
Because AHL is superior to Czech but KHL is superior to AHL. I never suggested it wasn't a different game, but I find throwing out the fact that Plekanec played with grown men before DD has to be taken into account. I think you can't ignore any relevant experience. DD played as an overager in juniors, yah, what a huge challenge right? Whereas at even a younger age, Plekanec was making his case for the senior team. At 20 Plekanec was playing for AHL, at 22 DD started his first season there. Plek spent 3 years in AHL, DD spent 2.5 plus a year in ECHL. I mean, there's so many stats or versions of the truth you can throw around. All may be accurate and true, but i don't think one tells the full story. Playing in a senior league at 16-17 is more challenging than playing in a junior league as an overager is it not? Plek's level of competition was likely superior at 17 than it was for DD at 21. This isn't to say one is better than the other or whatever. They followed different career paths and that's fine but you can't disregard ALL relevant experience just because it isn't north american. I mean, if we had a prospect who played in KHL at 17 and dominated the league and another prospect who did decently in canadian juniors, will you say NA Experience wins? C'mon, at a certain point, you can't ONLY look at NA experience. Adam Larsson has very little NA experience and he's doing fine in NJ. Is this some kind of strange occurance or could it be that the SEL is a greater league than the QMJHL(for example)? Playing against grown men helps. I wouldn't say the czech league is a super league and that Plekanec had near NHL experience, I'm not that crazy, but it's surely a step up from qmjhl with kids.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Either with Patches/Cole or Patches/AK, the wingers were making that line go in the right direction, not DD, sorry.
Yeah, no credit at all to DD who has been a huge part of four of the last six Habs goals. One digging in a corner, one screening the goalie, and one digging (and winning the puck) in front of the net.

No doubt his wingers are giving him more of a chance to succeed, any good wingers will do that. Very few centers in this league can play with Pascal Dupuis and Tyler Kennedy while producing.

He's the third leading scorer on this team and in the Top-100 in the NHL. He's 28th in scoring among ALL NHL Centers.

PS. Keep giving him less credit for this accomplishments. It's what's always driven his confidence and performance. People doubting just how good he is.

Quote:
Pacioretty and DD have played together a few times, including last year. No need to stretch the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
I think we are comparing apples and bananas, two very different case and obviously two very different players. I like what both players bring to the table and obviously like how they are being used this year.

DD seems to have good chimistry with both Cole and Pacioretty. The best that can happen for him is that the other two lines start going.

There are two things that scares me with DD, the french media overhyping him like he is the second coming of God on earth, and the underhype there is for Eller in the french media (obviously for the obove reason). He seems like a smart kid and I hope this will not make its way into his ego. He is a undersized player that obviouly has some skills. He is a smart playmaker (a pure playmaker) ala Koivu. I like the comparison to St-Louis numbers, they have similar stats and are similar size. I do not think DD will ever come close to the numbers St-Louis has but given the right context I am sure he will improve. The best thing that can happen for him is stellar development of Eller. Eller was coming nicely into shape before AK got injurred. I hope it will continue.

Bottom line I like them both for the different things they bring...
In his first full season, he's on pace for 55-points. He's definitely got a chance to hit 60-70, even 80 in future years if he can continue to improve and become a little less predictable.

When Markov returns, I have a feeling DD is going to really rip up our PP. With the extra space for him to pass, he'll be great. And he'll get a lot of 2nd assists too because Markov owns the world.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Yeah, no credit at all to DD who has been a huge part of four of the last six Habs goals. One digging in a corner, one screening the goalie, and one digging (and winning the puck) in front of the net.

No doubt his wingers are giving him more of a chance to succeed, any good wingers will do that. Very few centers in this league can play with Pascal Dupuis and Tyler Kennedy while producing.

He's the third leading scorer on this team and in the Top-100 in the NHL. He's 28th in scoring among ALL NHL Centers.

PS. Keep giving him less credit for this accomplishments. It's what's always driven his confidence and performance. People doubting just how good he is.

Pacioretty and DD have played together a few times, including last year. No need to stretch the truth.

In his first full season, he's on pace for 55-points. He's definitely got a chance to hit 60-70, even 80 in future years if he can continue to improve and become a little less predictable.

When Markov returns, I have a feeling DD is going to really rip up our PP. With the extra space for him to pass, he'll be great. And he'll get a lot of 2nd assists too because Markov owns the world.

Late Oct 2011 was the first time they played together on same line since Dec 2010

DD will get 100 pts in a NHL season ,i might be the only one calling that.