HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

So what do the Hawk's do with this extra cap space?

Old
11-17-2011, 03:39 PM
sketch22

vCash: 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
So Hawk's fans are content with having Brunette, Carcillo, and Stalberg on our top 6? If this team needs anything, its a top 6 winger.
I think Bruno is going to stay in the bottom six unless injuries force him up. Cacillo and Stalberg are both playing quite well so far and there isn't any reason to make a trade right now. Its too early in the year for teams to be selling quality top 6 talent for futures. When the 40 game mark rolls around there will be a much clearer picture of who the playoff teams are and who is falling apart. Until then teams aren't going to give up big pieces for picks/prospects. Right now the only two teams that are already *out* of the playoff picture are the CBJ (who are in our division so a trade is unlikely) and the NYI.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Sevanston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
They have a pretty big hole in the top 6. Stalberg and Carcillo aren't top line players. If you could get a 50-60 point player or even 2, the Hawks would be lethal.
With the way they've been playing, they sure fooled me.

They weren't top six players before, but this year, their play has been nothing but top six quality.

We shouldn't change what's clearly working just because we're surprised that it's working.

I'm surprised Leddy is playing like a #3 defenseman and Kane is playing like a #1 center, but that doesn't mean they should be replaced.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 03:51 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post

They weren't top six players before, but this year, their play has been nothing but top six quality.
They're bottom sixers playing up and have the right skills to complement their linemates and make it work. That being said, if the opportunity presents itself to acquire a legit top sixer like a Morrow or Doan, you go for it. If Stalberg and Carcillo outplay them and/or are better fits, you play the new guy on the third line but most of all, you don't let anything stand in the way of brining in a top player to help this team.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 03:55 PM
HawkinMI

Kyle Okposo

Bryan Bickell
Stephen Johns
2012 6th round pick

Value for Okposo is sliding due to his recent mediocre play, but perhaps a change of scenery would spark some more production out of him. Bickell is in a very similar situation.

Thoughts?

HawkinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:

We shouldn't change what's clearly working just because we're surprised that it's working.

I'm surprised Leddy is playing like a #3 defenseman and Kane is playing like a #1 center, but that doesn't mean they should be replaced.
Carcillo is on pace for 30 points, Stalberg is on pace for 39 points....those aren't the type of numbers that you want out of a top line player. Plus those guys have benefitted greatly from playing with super stars and neither are so great defensively that it makes up for their lack of scoring.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 04:05 PM
sketch22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkinMI View Post

Kyle Okposo

Bryan Bickell
Stephen Johns
2012 6th round pick

Value for Okposo is sliding due to his recent mediocre play, but perhaps a change of scenery would spark some more production out of him. Bickell is in a very similar situation.

Thoughts?
I don't know if that trade is even possible. I think it may put the Isles below the cap floor.

Old
11-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
They're bottom sixers playing up and have the right skills to complement their linemates and make it work. That being said, if the opportunity presents itself to acquire a legit top sixer like a Morrow or Doan, you go for it. If Stalberg and Carcillo outplay them and/or are better fits, you play the new guy on the third line but most of all, you don't let anything stand in the way of brining in a top player to help this team.
We're a top 5 offense in the league already, so it's not like more offense is actually needed.

We also know that Stalberg and Carcillo, as you said, complement our top line players and make it work.

Why should we give up anything to get someone who might not do that exact same thing?

Andrew Brunette was a top line player in Minnesota. Where is he now?

Old
11-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Carcillo is on pace for 30 points, Stalberg is on pace for 39 points....those aren't the type of numbers that you want out of a top line player. Plus those guys have benefitted greatly from playing with super stars and neither are so great defensively that it makes up for their lack of scoring.
Stat sheets and "on pace" projections are piss-poor ways to judge hockey players.

Like I said, we're already a top 5 offense in the league.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old
11-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Stat sheets and "on pace" projections are piss-poor ways to judge hockey players.

Like I said, we're already a top 5 offense in the league.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
It never hurts to get better. We aren't talking about sending Carcillo and Stalberg back to the AHL. I'm not advocating the Hawks go out and get Semin, but there are better forwards out there that the Hawks can afford....why would you not want that player?

Old
11-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
We're a top 5 offense in the league already, so it's not like more offense is actually needed.

We also know that Stalberg and Carcillo, as you said, complement our top line players and make it work.

Why should we give up anything to get someone who might not do that exact same thing?

Andrew Brunette was a top line player in Minnesota. Where is he now?
It isn't needed but it never hurts to have more players that can score. The Hawks were a top 5 offense in 08-09 and then went out and signed Hossa. Its not a bad thing to get better players.

Plus what if they went out and got a 60 point player that is also a physical presence or a guy that will give you 50 points but can also play great defense. Those are both upgrades over what they have now. Why wouldnt you want that?

Old
11-17-2011, 04:22 PM
HawkinMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post
I don't know if that trade is even possible. I think it may put the Isles below the cap floor.
Good point. It would have to be someone a bit more expensive than Bicks going to the Isles, then. Or Bicks + cap dump.

HawkinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 04:24 PM
sketch22

Quote:
We currently have 4 forwards ranked in the top 20 for scoring league wide. Stalberg and Carcillo bring a different element to their games that complement those players. Toews, Kane, Hossa, and Sharp are currently on pace to score 135 goals, 203 assists, and 338 points (with a pp that is just starting to click). The Hawks need to surround them with players that complement their respective skills sets. Stalberg and Carcillo are doing a good job so far. Will the Hawks go after another top 6 forward later on in the year? Absolutely. But teams are not going to trade top 6 talent for futures right now unless it is an overpayment and there is no reason for the Hawks to overpay.

Old
11-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
We currently have 4 forwards ranked in the top 20 for scoring league wide. Stalberg and Carcillo bring a different element to their games that complement those players. Toews, Kane, Hossa, and Sharp are currently on pace to score 135 goals, 203 assists, and 338 points (with a pp that is just starting to click). The Hawks need to surround them with players that complement their respective skills sets. Stalberg and Carcillo are doing a good job so far. Will the Hawks go after another top 6 forward later on in the year? Absolutely. But teams are not going to trade top 6 talent for futures right now unless it is an overpayment and there is no reason for the Hawks to overpay.
Well I agree with you there. I don't think this thread is talking about an immenent trade that must be made. Let teams fall out of it and then poach from their rosters.

Old
11-17-2011, 04:31 PM
sketch22

Quote:
Well I agree with you there. I don't think this thread is talking about an immenent trade that must be made. Let teams fall out of it and then poach from their rosters.
That I absolutely agree with. I just don't understand why people rag on Stalberg and Carcillo so much when they have played well so far this year.

Old
11-17-2011, 04:46 PM
KyleJRM

The Hawks don't have a ton of weaknesses right now, but that doesn't mean they can't add strengths. The Cup team had so many strengths it could afford to play poorly and still win in the playoffs.

I'd be fine with anything, so long as it's a true upgrade. Another quality two-way forward certainly wouldn't hurt, and a neither would an upgrade on defense. I wouldn't mind seeing one more reliable puck-mover back there, just someone who can consistently clear the zone with momentum.

KyleJRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkinMI View Post

Kyle Okposo

Bryan Bickell
Stephen Johns
2012 6th round pick

Thoughts?
I would rather offer up Bickell + 2nd

But Isles will hold onto him and let himself play out of funk ,, THey would be foolish to dump him with his potential at this point

As for cap room ,, I expect Hawks to hold onto it and wait until Jan/Feb to explore possible deals (If desired)

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
That I absolutely agree with. I just don't understand why people rag on Stalberg and Carcillo so much when they have played well so far this year.
Stalberg still floats defensively and misses countless easy chances because his hands suck,,, I didn't get to watch game last night but at one point it was mentioned Stalberg stopped playing during a play to complain at refs or something

Its things like that and his D gaffes that make me wonder if he will ever develop hockey IQ to be a good player

He has played better this year then last ,, I will concede that

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 04:56 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Stalberg still floats defensively and misses countless easy chances because his hands suck,,, I didn't get to watch game last night but at one point it was mentioned Stalberg stopped playing during a play to complain at refs or something

Its things like that and his D gaffes that make me wonder if he will ever develop hockey IQ to be a good player

He thought the puck was knocked down with a high-stick, stopped skating, and H.Sedin got a wide open chance in the slot that was deflected away. Still, you play until the whistle, and Q gave it to him on the bench. Luckily, he redeemed himself with a nice pass to Tazer on his goal.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 05:14 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:

Amazing that you can still diss Stalberg when you don't even watch the game. Yes, that was a mistake and Q let him know immediately in no uncertain terms, but it wasn't like it was going to make a difference. The damage was done and the twinkie was given a free chance that VS couldn't do anything about ... and was frustrated that the ref missed the call. Luckily it didn't result in a goal. I don't think it will happen again but your selective criticism is annoying. Why can't you just concede that Stalberg's game has improved significantly in a year?

Did you also hear that he made a very nice pass to Toews for a goal so easy that I could have scored? A key goal at that, and a nice play by Hossa as well, that completed deflated Canucks and any chance of a late rally.

No... didn't think so.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 05:16 PM
stingo

I think the biggest need would be someone who can play a top 6 role with some grit.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 05:17 PM
sketch22

Quote:
I have no idea why he started complaining to the ref when the play was still happening. That is just plain dumb.

I don't agree with the idea that Stalberg floats defensively. He does occasionally get caught low in the zone, allowing a defensemen to get a good look at the net, and can be over agrresive, but overall he has been an average player defensively. I do like how he hustles on the back check and has caused some turnovers because of it. He is far from perfect in the d-zone, but I wouldn't chalk him up as a liability like Brouwer.

Old
11-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Hawkaholic

I think they will get a 3rd pairing Dman that's really a #4 guy.

One of
John Michael Liles
or
Tim Gleason

they seem like a good fit.

or if they choose to go offense,
Boyes
Doan
Ruutu

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 05:25 PM
ModryJazyk

does somebody know, how much money (cap hit) is Sopel worth in that siberian far East team ?

ModryJazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 05:26 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingo View Post
I think the biggest need would be someone who can play a top 6 role with some grit.
YES ..... and is good enough defensively to move around. Not an easy task I know, but we do have the cap room. I know the name Iginla has been mentioned numerous times, and I doubt we could get him, but he would be the perfect addition; and if Flames keep falling in the standings ,,,, well, who knows. We do have a lot of youth in our organization that would appeal to any team trying to rebuild and could offer up a pretty tempting package... and it could boil down to what Jerome wants. I know a class organization would consult a player of his stature before considering any such move.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 05:33 PM
stingo

If this were the last year of Iginla's contract, I think there could be a chance we resign him, but there's not, and trading for Iginla would empty out our cupboards, and put us in cap hell next year when we need to resign Carcillo, and replace Mayers, O'Donnell, Lepisto, Scott, and Emery.

I think Saad will take one of those spots. I think Olsen will probably replace O'Donnell, but not sure what happens after that. Scott will likely be resigned for cheap.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote