HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This years edition of Ales

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2003, 09:39 AM
Oiltalk

vCash: 500
This years edition of Ales

After getting off to a quick start despite the team playing poorly, what do you think is a plausible prediction for the young phenom in terms of pts. this season.

Also, which first or second year player for the Oilers do you feel has made the most significant inpact so far?

Old
10-30-2003, 09:42 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

18 G, 50 A= 68 PTS for Ales.

Conks has impressed me in his limited appearances.

Old
10-30-2003, 09:47 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
The scarey part is he isn't even playing as well as he is capable of... His end of last season was absolutely incredible, and he is even stronger this year, so if he could combine all the things he was doing right at the end of last year, with his confidence and strength this year...

MAN...

I really think he can keep this pace up, and get 75 points.

Old
10-30-2003, 10:24 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
The scarey part is he isn't even playing as well as he is capable of... His end of last season was absolutely incredible, and he is even stronger this year, so if he could combine all the things he was doing right at the end of last year, with his confidence and strength this year...

MAN...

I really think he can keep this pace up, and get 75 points.
Baring injury he gets 82 points. He's going a point a game now and he isn't playing as well as last year. Wait for Gaborik, then Hemsky will go to 100.

Old
10-30-2003, 12:07 PM
MrMackey

There was some talk that he came in bigger this year, and then talk that he's come in lighter. To me he's looked more on the lighter side.

He's definitely looked more poised and comfortable out there than last year, but he also looks like its easier to push him away from the puck. At times it almost seems like he's giving up on a play, but it might just be a matter of not being strong enough to battle in the high-traffic areas.

Don't get me wrong - he is a phenominal talent, but he might still need to get a little stronger before he can fully dominate - maybe another year or two.

This year I predict 15g 45a 60p (25+ PP assists)

Old
10-30-2003, 12:18 PM
mrush

I predict 100+ i predicted before training camp and preseason, dont know how many goals or assists but i say over 100

Old
10-30-2003, 12:32 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrush
I predict 100+ i predicted before training camp and preseason, dont know how many goals or assists but i say over 100
nothing like expecting the world of a 20 year old on a crappy hockey team...

i predict between 60 and 65 points. he will eventually hit a cold spell and will have to work at the mental part of his game (likely during the regularly scheduled 9 game winless streak in january). he's a solid young talent and will emerge from the cold streak as a better player.

next year (if it happens) i could easily see 80+ from him.

Old
10-30-2003, 01:02 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
nothing like expecting the world of a 20 year old on a crappy hockey team...

i predict between 60 and 65 points. he will eventually hit a cold spell and will have to work at the mental part of his game (likely during the regularly scheduled 9 game winless streak in january). he's a solid young talent and will emerge from the cold streak as a better player.

next year (if it happens) i could easily see 80+ from him.
As much as I am inclined to agree with you, I think Hemsky will play his best hockey during our new years slide...

There may be another point in the year where he stumbles, but I think when the team is in a big time funk, he will be at his best.

Old
10-30-2003, 01:05 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

70 points is quite a possibility....of course, he still needs to shoot more. notice a lot of his assists are first assists and not second assists, so I think he's making the plays here.

Old
10-30-2003, 02:26 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
70 points is quite a possibility....of course, he still needs to shoot more. notice a lot of his assists are first assists and not second assists, so I think he's making the plays here.
I hope he gets more than 50. I have a bet riding on it .
I think he's good for 15G 50A and 65PTS. I think that's a conservative estimate and he could get a little higher if they can get a legit finisher (to go along with Smyth) in a Comrie trade.

Old
10-30-2003, 10:28 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
This is an Intriguing idea so I thought I'd check it out,

Ales Hemsky, 2 Goals, 3 First Assists, 3 Second Assists.

Old
10-31-2003, 07:12 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
This is an Intriguing idea so I thought I'd check it out,

Ales Hemsky, 2 Goals, 3 First Assists, 3 Second Assists.

huh. I guess I counted wrong then. Well, 3 and 3 isn't that bad. :p

Old
10-31-2003, 07:26 AM
jadeddog

the thing about hemsky this year is that he really isnt playing that well for him.... dont get me wrong, hes been one of the best oilers so far this year, but he has also kinda disappeared at times as well..... the fact that he has 8 points through 9 games on a bad team and he hasnt played his best REALLY shows you how good he might be one day though eh?

as one of the commentators mentioned last night "hemsky makes every player on his line better" ... this is *so* true.... the way he sees the ice, he is able to get so many people invovled.... it would be scary to see this kid with a true finisher (like guerin or somebody or that ilk)....

i think that hemsky will get around 55-60 points this year, not due to him playing poorly, but due to the fact that he doesnt have a true 1st line C to play with and the fact that the oilers arnt a very good hockey team.....these would still be pretty good totals for a 20 year old on a bad team...... if lowe could somehow manage to get a true 1st line C back in a comrie deal, i think hemskys numbers would jump sharply, even as high as 75 points

*sigh* makes you wonder what a full year of smyth-comrie-hemsky could have produced .... oh well, best not get all upset about it

Old
10-31-2003, 07:48 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

IMO the people predicting in the 55-60 range are in the right here. A lack of true finishers on his line (as good as Smyth is, he's never been a true sniper in the classic sense) combined with his youth will cap how many points he could get.

One thing I've notice thus far (admittedly it's early) is that teams are starting to cheat on him a bit. He rarely drives to the net with the puck, instead going wide right and swooping behind the net looking for someone to dish to. Other teams are keying on this, concentrating their effort on blocking Hemsky's passing lanes instead of regarding him as a threat to score. In the last few games, Hemsky's passes are finding opposition sticks more often than they used to.

He's too good not to adjust to this, but it is something he's going to have to learn. He's still a kid, let's not expect TOO much yet.

If he starts taking the puck to the net and trusting his shot more, look out.

Old
10-31-2003, 08:16 AM
jadeddog

couldnt agree more about how defneders seem to be cheating with him now.... i dont really think its such a problem that hemsky doesnt shoot that ofter, because he only seems to want to shoot when he is in the slot, he *very* rarely shoots from the outside.... his bigger problem is the fact that you mentioned, thae he doesnt make strong moves for the net ofter.... if he would do more often it would force defenders back, and allow him to get into shooting (slot) position more often... it would also open up other players for hemsky to make those oh-so-brilliant passes to

he will learn this though.... hes still only 20, and OH GOD how that makes me smile

Old
10-31-2003, 08:25 AM
Kerplunk

vCash:
I agree with the line of thinking that projects a 55-60 point season for Hemsky; somewhere around 15 goals and 40 assists. However, it wouldn't surprise me if he finished near a point a game. Especially when you consider how well he finished off last year, and that it is likely he will feel more comfortable and confident as the year progresses.

Old
10-31-2003, 08:34 AM
Oiltalk

Hemsky is averaging only one shot per game. That's brutal, considering he scored on 2 of them. Shoot the darn puck MORE

Old
10-31-2003, 08:50 AM
Kerplunk

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Hemsky is averaging only one shot per game. That's brutal, considering he scored on 2 of them. Shoot the darn puck MORE
I agree that he should shoot more, but I hate the idea of trying to force a young talented guy like that to do something he doesn't want to do. Just let him play his game, he'll come around eventually.

Old
10-31-2003, 09:00 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk
I agree that he should shoot more, but I hate the idea of trying to force a young talented guy like that to do something he doesn't want to do. Just let him play his game, he'll come around eventually.
Oh, you don't need to FORCE him, but you can certainly ENCOURAGE him to shoot more. If you just let young guys do whatever they want, they wouldn't likely grow as quickly into better players.

BUT, there *is* a fine line between 'strongly encouraging' a guy vs. ruining his confidence or changing a guy's game too much from his strengths.

Bart

Old
10-31-2003, 09:07 AM
Kerplunk

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Oh, you don't need to FORCE him, but you can certainly ENCOURAGE him to shoot more.
I think the Oilers have done exactly that, encourage him to shoot more. I mean, they talk about it enough. What more are the Oilers coaching staff to do at this point, other than give him 10 lashes everytime he dishes it off in a great shooting position?

Old
10-31-2003, 11:22 AM
jadeddog

the big thing here is that hemsky just doesnt seem to realize that great things can happen from shots almost anywhere on the ice..... he shoots alright, but only when he feels like he can score (or at least a pretty good chance of scoring),,,, he'll learn that shooting in areas that arnt a "good scoring" chance will get results ..... patience people, patience

Closed Thread