HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose Proposed Trade Thread (11/30 - Rangers kicking tires on Bobby Ryan)

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
if the reports are true, would Jeff Carter be a target?

MDZ, Zuccs, Thomas and the NYR 1st in 2012 (wolski added to help off-set salary)

for Carter and a 2nd?

I believe he's played some wing in his career, and even if he didn't, having Richards, Carter and Stepan down the middle would be killer

Double A - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Carter - Callahan
Avery - Richards - Fedotenko
Prust - Boyle - Christensen

top three lines would all be capable of playing top line minutes so the order is not actual preference.
Del Zotto isn't being traded. He's 21, ahead of the curve on defense, and our only legitimate offensive defenseman. The sky is the limit for him. It should say something that we risked stunting his NHL career to just get him up at age 19. On raw talent he's pure gold compared to other prospects.

We're not trading any core defensemen until Erixon is ready to come up, which isn't likely to happen before the deadline.

Furthermore, we're unlikely to trade any core defensemen at all this year, because we really don't know how long Staal will be out for. Or how likely the chance of a reoccurrence is of happening after he returns.

We do need a winger. Dubi just isn't cutting it on that line. Carter is an interesting fit. However, he was ousted in Philly, largely in part because he was at disagreements with Laviolette and Pronger (two players with a similar hockey mindset to Torts)... so I don't think it's a fit for us.

Old
11-17-2011, 09:00 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
I personally have no sympathy for Columbus in this situation. Carter was not the answer to their problems. Nothing he can do personally is going to turn that team around. They should have done their due diligence.

What I don't understand is why people all say Rick Nash should ask out of Columbus, a situation he willing entered into with a long term contract, but Carter wanting out of a situation he never asked to be in makes him a bad guy. Not exactly the same thing, for sure, but similar.
Columbus obviously made a mistake, but I still blame Carter more than I blame them. There's a reason philly traded him and it doesn't seem like he's even made an effort to make it work in Columbus. If he really did ask for a trade 18 games into the season, that says a lot about his character, and he's not a guy I'd want on this team.

Old
11-17-2011, 09:02 PM
UAGoalieGuy

I'd take Carter on this team every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Put him on Richards wing.

Anisimov - Stepan - Gaborik
Carter - Richards - Callahan
Dubinsky - Boyle - Feds
Avery - Christiansen - Prust

Old
11-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I'd take Carter on this team every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Put him on Richards wing.

Anisimov - Stepan - Gaborik
Carter - Richards - Callahan
Dubinsky - Boyle - Feds
Avery - Christiansen - Prust
I think Carter on this team would have a similar outcome to Zherdev.

Old
11-17-2011, 09:21 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Columbus obviously made a mistake, but I still blame Carter more than I blame them. There's a reason philly traded him and it doesn't seem like he's even made an effort to make it work in Columbus. If he really did ask for a trade 18 games into the season, that says a lot about his character, and he's not a guy I'd want on this team.
18 games might seem like a short amount of time, but on a franchise that has never done anything, has inept management, is in a small market and doesn't show any signs of getting better any time soon (and by that I mean within the next few years, if at all), it might seem longer than you think. And like I said, there's not much he can do on a team like that. He's not the type of player that makes others around him better. To be honest, if I got straight lied to and then thrown into the same situation I'd probably want out ASAP as well.

But whatever, I can see both sides of the story easily. And I think our team is a totally different situation than both Philly and Columbus.

Old
11-17-2011, 10:41 PM
bluecollarblueshirt*

carter to the rangers would be hard for us to do. we'd have to clear cap space and they would definitely ask for mcd and step. not that they would get either but they would try most certainly. But definitely interested in where this came from (source) i would take carter all day

Old
11-17-2011, 10:48 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Carter is a goal scorer. Oh to have more goals for Henke and the D to exploit. Carter would HAUNT Philly from NY too, you just know it.

But I think Slats has to be watching Parise. Parise is the prize.

11-17-2011, 10:49 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

If it has to be a deal with CBJ, I want Nash

Old
11-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

If Philly was so eager to get rid of a 30-40 goal scorer on a very good contract for a good yet unproven player and a pick, there must be an issue either in the locker room, off the ice, or with Carter's attitude. That's why I don't want him anywhere near this team.

Old
11-17-2011, 10:58 PM
bluecollarblueshirt*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
Nash's contract is too much It would leave us tied up. All that money in only a hand full of players is no good. at least carters 5 mil salary cap hit is manageable. It would be great to see him on the wing of richards. if step's keeps improving it would give us two deadly lines. It would probably cost us a lot.

Old
11-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

I don't want anyone from Columbus, except maybe Prospal at the deadline if he's still got his legs.

All the players I would want are overpaid with long terms:

Tyutin makes 4.5
Vermette makes 4
Nash makes almost 8

The only guy with a good contract is carter, and I don't want a guy who Philly was so eager to trade for an unproven winger and a draft pick, despite being a very good hockey player. This rangers team is very tight and we've been building a good thing here. The reward is not worth the risk of upsetting that right now. Huge pass.

I'd take Prospal at the deadline. We honestly don't need to be looking for that big trade right now, or even this season. When Staal comes back, we're a very deep and well rounded team. Guys like Prospal, Ray Whitney, are the type of player Glen will be looking at in a few months. Next year we will see what we have in Kreider and maybe Thomas, Hagelin, Miller, and there's also the possibility of adding Parise or Suter for nothing but cap space, rather than giving up assets in the middle of the season to acquire a guy with question marks. Parise and Suter are the types of players you win championships with. Jeff Carter and Rick Nash? Not so sure.

Old
11-17-2011, 11:46 PM
bluecollarblueshirt*

I certainly wouldn't mind getting t ruutu at the deadline. that would be a good pick up

Old
11-18-2011, 01:18 AM
levski87

Anyone feel we can get Bobby Ryan out of Anaheim?

The team is slumping and there is only one line that is scoring.

Dubi/Anisimov + prospect + pick

Old
11-18-2011, 01:45 AM
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Anyone feel we can get Bobby Ryan out of Anaheim?

The team is slumping and there is only one line that is scoring.

Dubi/Anisimov + prospect + pick
How much Anaheim is struggling it will cost very much to acquire him, so I don't think that offer is enough unless it's Dubinsky+Kreider+1st witch is too much imo. And if he's on the block the whole league would be interested.

But yeah I would love him as a Ranger.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:21 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

If Anaheim is really out of it at the deadline, holy crap would I drool over Selanne on this team.

Selanne Richards Callahan

or

Selanne Stepan Gaborik

Drool.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:30 AM
ThisYearsModel

Nah. Carter would work at wing, but nobody wants him on the Rangers because they don't want their wives or girlfriends hit on. The Perry/Getzlaf/Ryan line is not producing. If one of them were to be dealt, it would be Ryan, who is a huge body with great hands that plays like a pansy. Torts would chew him up and spit him out. His price tag would be far too steep. Much rather wait for Parise to be a UFA and add him.

Old
11-18-2011, 08:03 AM
NYR Viper

If Carter has asked out, I wonder if LA would put in an offer of say:

Bernier + Martinez + Greene?

CLB needs a goalie and LA needs a winger for either Richards or Kopitar as Penner has **** the bed.

I would LOVE to get Carter. He reminds me so much of Heatley it isn't even funny.

Old
11-18-2011, 08:17 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Parise? Nash? I guess the people on this page of the thread forgot that a salary cap has been instituted in the NHL.

Old
11-18-2011, 08:46 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I would love to see the Flyers board if Columbus traded Carter to the Rangers.

Man that would really come back to bite them in the @ss for years to come.
this. plus the fact that the guy is young and can play in "big" market under alot of scrutiny. We still need another flat out scorer. WW isn't it, injury or not. Carter doesn't have to be a TWF. just let him snipe all day.

Old
11-18-2011, 08:48 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Parise? Nash? I guess the people on this page of the thread forgot that a salary cap has been instituted in the NHL.
correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the reasoning that we stand to have a handful of players not returning next year: feds, Avery, WW, Christensen, that will allow us to take on another big contract?

Old
11-18-2011, 08:57 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Carter is a goal scorer. Oh to have more goals for Henke and the D to exploit. Carter would HAUNT Philly from NY too, you just know it.

But I think Slats has to be watching Parise. Parise is the prize.
Don't think he winds up here:
a) rivalry
b) either Parise is ultimately re-signing and they're just doin this now on a hanshake to hold off cap this year; OR
NJ will utlimately deal him and this is an understanding between Lou L + Parise to give both more time to get the best deal for each

If (b) is true. someone will deal w/LL and make the extension so Parise's value in return is maximized, a la sign + trade.
Not impossible to be a half year rental for a lot less, but think only overpay will come with extension in place

so no, he's not likely coming here, unless HE decides he wants to test the waters AND take less given our cap obligations

But I too would prefer him.

Old
11-18-2011, 08:59 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
I don't usually agree with the Dr., but when he's right he's right: too much cap hit.

Old
11-18-2011, 09:03 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the reasoning that we stand to have a handful of players not returning next year: feds, Avery, WW, Christensen, that will allow us to take on another big contract?
You can save a milli on Avery and 3MM on Wolski. That does not equal 8 Million for Nash.

Old
11-18-2011, 09:30 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
You can save a milli on Avery and 3MM on Wolski. That does not equal 8 Million for Nash.
i realize that. i mentioned 2 other players that might not be coming back as well...

Old
11-18-2011, 09:30 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
If Carter has asked out, I wonder if LA would put in an offer of say:

Bernier + Martinez + Greene?

CLB needs a goalie and LA needs a winger for either Richards or Kopitar as Penner has **** the bed.

I would LOVE to get Carter. He reminds me so much of Heatley it isn't even funny.
Relying on your representation here, + that CBJ wants a D, I'd like to see if we can't fleece Col with an offer that might be too good to pass up, one that draws blood on both sides but is arguably worthwhile:

To Rangers:
Carter + CBJ 2012 1st

To Blue Jackets:
Girardi, Johnson, Feds, Bell, Yogan + Parlett + NYR 4th 2012 + 20113

Rationale:
CBJ
Girardi is a rock they can build on or sell to highest bidder if an overpayment premium is offered, he will stabilize/instruct their D in the meantime.

Johnson has shown ability to play well at NHL level, just not well enough vs. likes of Hank + Biron. He'd immediately compete for at least one of the netminder spots and, when hot could compete for the top job.

Fedotenko a good guy W on a low contract who will provide some immediate help replacing Carter (ok, obviously not as to high end scoring, but hustles + can contribute)

Bell another D for their mix contending for the lower pair and possibly useful if Girardi is later flipped for a W.

Yogan + Parlett = two prospects available in 1-2 years, for rebuilding. Yogan seems to be a basic solid C playing reasonably well at Traverse (or was it the after camp), and Parlett could be a PMD fit

NYR 4th 2012 + 20113
two decent later mid picks, no explanation necessary.

Rangers
We get Carter, a noble experiment with decent chance to succeed as to a scoring F, which we desperately need.

We move a few bodies improving our cap down the road

We give up Girardi, which hurts, but how much more than a Columbus 1st is he worth, all you guys who said, not unless there is overpay???

We get to keep MDZ, who appears to be rebounding, has 20th or whatever pedigree if we trade him up, and as reasonable as DG's contract cap is for the next couple of years, MDZ deal is even better for now.

If Hank/Biron hurt, we can promote Talbot to backup. Let's give that ultra fast glove hand a real tryout and see from our inside position if this guy is a keeper or not. If he is, that's valuable knowledge as to insurance or trade options.

The big prize is the pick. A top 10 pick could be bundled with our own #1 + other assets. We could get lucky with a top blue chip guy, and the bluer the chip, the more likely he'll be able to play at NHL level sooner than later.

I know: you didn't see the Girardi thing coming

But seriously... thoughts...

Closed Thread