HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

So what do the Hawk's do with this extra cap space?

Old
11-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post
The money we spend on tickets, apparel and concessions basically pays the players' salaries.
Ok, that was not my point though. No reason to take this further though.

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:25 PM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
It never hurts to get better. We aren't talking about sending Carcillo and Stalberg back to the AHL. I'm not advocating the Hawks go out and get Semin, but there are better forwards out there that the Hawks can afford....why would you not want that player?
I agree, let's get greedy...we were absolutely stacked in 2009-2010 and we have a chance to be stacked again for another Cup run.

CPHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:36 PM
LarmerSavardSecord

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
If Colorado and Carolina continue to struggle and decide to be sellers - here's what I hope happens around the first of the year.

1. Hawks trade Bickell & Beach to Colorado for Milan Hejduk, who has an expiring contract with $3M cap hit. Hejduk would need to waive his NM claus.

2. Hawks trade Lepisto and 2012 2nd to Carolina for Tim Gleason, who has an expiring contract with $2.75M cap hit.

Playoff lineup:

Stalberg-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Kane-Hejduk
Carcillo-Bolland-Frolik
Brunette-Kruger-Smith
(Mayers)

Keith-Seabrook
Gleason-Leddy
Hjalmarsson-Montador
(O'Donnell/Scott)

Crawford
Emery
I approve this message. First, cull the herd by trading unneeded parts for a skilled vet that has one more push in him. Second, upgrade the D a little. It might take more to get them, there will be a lot of action on both if available, but the Hawks have the parts to add.

LarmerSavardSecord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:43 PM
bigdinkel

Trade for Luongo!

bigdinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:44 PM
bigdinkel

Let's get Byfuglien back!

bigdinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:14 AM
BiBoFro*

No way Byfuglien and Luongo play on the same team, ever.

I think having Carter on our team would definitely open up some doors. It's not far fetched to think we couldn't get him. I'd rather have a player signed who can make an impact, at a reasonable cap hit, plus not on expiring contract where we don't hold any of the cards if we're to lose him to free agency.

That last part is based off the fact that he gels so well with the squad that there would be absolutely no reason to let him leave. Sort of the same deal with Carter. We add him at the deadline, or before it and I gaurantee we still have cap dollars left for Gleason to get on the team. This also goes back to the win now mentality. Would be become of our prospects waiting in the pipeline if we have long term contracts locked up in the top 6?

But that's something to worry about later in training camp...

BiBoFro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:41 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModryJazyk View Post
does somebody know, how much money (cap hit) is Sopel worth in that siberian far East team ?
don't know how much, but I'm sure if we want him he is allowed to come back and sign with us.
Would need to go through Re Entry first. And if they would have wanted him, they would have signed him instead of SOD

Carter has a great Cap hit. I think he would be a good fit here - as long as Coach Q can use him and teach him a Two Way game. If not, Carter will ask for a trade again.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 02:12 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiBoFro View Post
No way Byfuglien and Luongo play on the same team, ever.

I think having Carter on our team would definitely open up some doors. It's not far fetched to think we couldn't get him. I'd rather have a player signed who can make an impact, at a reasonable cap hit, plus not on expiring contract where we don't hold any of the cards if we're to lose him to free agency.

That last part is based off the fact that he gels so well with the squad that there would be absolutely no reason to let him leave. Sort of the same deal with Carter. We add him at the deadline, or before it and I gaurantee we still have cap dollars left for Gleason to get on the team. This also goes back to the win now mentality. Would be become of our prospects waiting in the pipeline if we have long term contracts locked up in the top 6?

But that's something to worry about later in training camp...
Stop with that madness. There is no way the Hawks are going to add another long-term deal like Carter's. And if they do all I could do is

Also, why do the Hawks need to make a splash just because they have the cap space? They are currently #1 in the league and there is no apparent reason to go get something. Wait until at least the half-way mark of the season before looking at options. It should be much clearer which teams are sellers and buyers.

EmeticDonut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I agree, but why should we wait if we have the chance to get him now, without overpayment. The asking price at the Deadline may/will be higher than now

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 08:39 AM
featherhawk

I don;t think Hejduk is the answer....also he was just named captain...I think he retirees in col....

Carter IMO will not be traded....

top 6 guys that play physical are not so easy to acquire....

we need a replica of shane doan.....

featherhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingo View Post
If this were the last year of Iginla's contract, I think there could be a chance we resign him, but there's not, and trading for Iginla would empty out our cupboards, and put us in cap hell next year when we need to resign Carcillo, and replace Mayers, O'Donnell, Lepisto, Scott, and Emery.

I think Saad will take one of those spots. I think Olsen will probably replace O'Donnell, but not sure what happens after that. Scott will likely be resigned for cheap.
Why does replacing a bunch of decent role players (and Scott), all of whom make $600K or so, put the Hawks in "cap hell". Any prospect who comes up will be on an ELC, most of whom will have a cap hit between $500-$800K. How is that a problem?

The Hawks have the cap space to significantly "upgrade" two roster spots, or add an elite player. That could be getting a real scoring line forward with a physical game to push either/or Carcillo/Stalberg to a bottom 6 role, or upgrade a guy like Lepisto to a legit 4/6 type d-man.

Beukeboom Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:00 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Hawks shouldn't and will not go after any top tier guys. It's a huge risk and no way of telling if Iginila or anyone else will mesh well with the team. You can't just add his production to that of the Hawks because he is pretty much the guy in Calgary. He couldn't and would not do that with the Hawks.

Flexibility and additional role players is better. We have our top guys. Anything else could have a severe impact on chemistry not to mention the cap consequences for next year.

Hawks also need to consider the next CBA. What will the cap look like, ect.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
If Colorado and Carolina continue to struggle and decide to be sellers - here's what I hope happens around the first of the year.

1. Hawks trade Bickell & Beach to Colorado for Milan Hejduk, who has an expiring contract with $3M cap hit. Hejduk would need to waive his NM claus.

2. Hawks trade Lepisto and 2012 2nd to Carolina for Tim Gleason, who has an expiring contract with $2.75M cap hit.

Playoff lineup:

Stalberg-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Kane-Hejduk
Carcillo-Bolland-Frolik
Brunette-Kruger-Smith
(Mayers)

Keith-Seabrook
Gleason-Leddy
Hjalmarsson-Montador
(O'Donnell/Scott)

Crawford
Emery
Very well thought out and isn't a pie in the sky scenario that was love (like getting Doan and Iginla). These are the kind of moves Bowman likes to make and these trades in particular would really help the team.

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:32 AM
HawkinMI

Adding Gleason would be huge, but I think you guys are really undervaluing him. No way Carolina gives him up for anything less than one of our better prospect d-men and a pick. Lepisto's not even in the discussion.

HawkinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkinMI View Post
Adding Gleason would be huge, but I think you guys are really undervaluing him. No way Carolina gives him up for anything less than one of our better prospect d-men and a pick. Lepisto's not even in the discussion.
Yeah if Gleason is traded it will be more then a #7 dman + 2nd

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:47 AM
zytz
lumberjack

I've been thinking more about the type of player we should acquire, and where before I was leaning towards a decent 2nd line guy and another 4/5 defenseman, I'm thinking we should grab one or two really strong 3rd line guys.

The reason is that our system is full of guys that should be competing for top 6 spots, Saad,Morin, Pirri, etc. but even guys like Frolik and Stalberg on the current roster, while I wouldn't consider them top 6 players currently they both lean towards being skill guys, and letting guys like that compete for a spot is only incentive for them to polish their game the best they can. If we acquire someone like Parise/Iginla who are locks for the top 6 then guys that are lower on the depth chart don't even have incentive to try.

I don't think John Madden fits the bill anymore, but guys like that, or like Jordan Staal... not that Staal would ever happen but could you imagine?

Unfortunately I can't think of any players like that that might be available. If we had to get a top 6 player what does everyone think of Evander Kane?

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:52 AM
HawkinMI

I highly, highly doubt the Peg would even consider trading Kane. He's their only young franchise player.

If he's moved, it would only be for a complete overpayment, and that makes no sense for us. I think Little would be a much more reasonable target.

Or perhaps Ladd.

HawkinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:36 PM
hawksfan50

1. IF it ain't broke--don't fix it..ie. we are #1 now and playing well --why risk a disruptive "change" or 'new guy" taking someone else's job?---may hurt the locker room?

2. WAIT-till the trade deadline approaches to see IF we need anything more...

3. KEEP in mind ROCKY is spendingreal $$$$ on HUET and OLESZ---GIVE HIM A BREAK! DON"T SPEND ANYMORE --just "because we have cap room"...

4. If we do use the space--use it wisely --our first + a player+a prospect for some
bottom feeder's cap or $$$ relief PLUS their 1st rounder---ie. MAYBE we can "steal" a lotto pick from a bottom 4 likely finishing team? Hard to see what player anyone would want from us who we'd give up to get that chance...IMAGINE however IF
we had a deeper better GOALIE CROP already at Rockford ...We could trade EMERY for a lot to teams with strggling goalie situations (can anyone sat TORONTO?) ..

THIS PROVES the old adage about never having toomany good goalies in the pipeline
because at some point some NHL team willbe desperate for a puck stopping saviour
----look what WASH got for VARLAMOV from COLORADO--at first it looked like the AV's won the deal as VARLAMOV shone right out of the gate this year--but lately he's giving up goals in bunches...if this continues the Av's could keep falling and WASH may end up with a good lotto pick==you never know how high...GOALIES are great trading assets..but the Hawks have nada at Rockford --the Icehogs keep outshooting most teams but their goalies save %'s are terrible -nobody tradeworthy there or ready to call up .So we cant dangle EMERY tothe LAFFS...
Thiscis why STAN must upgrade the goalie "talent" for the pipeline such that as a likely 25-30 drafting team most years in the foreseeable future-we can trade a desired asset for great value (ie. a chance to draft very high occaisonally such that we replemish our pool of "A" position player prospects.. GOALIE strength of depth will provide the best assets for doing that NOT because the prospects in goal will attract the trade partner interest--but because our team can call them up as back-ups such that we trade our resident back-up if he is a good enough goalie toattract a desperate team's attention.

ALAS we cannot do that this year... so STAN must prepare a long term strategy such that in future when a chance presents itself we have the right player+prospect +pick package to get us a top pick chance from a desperate team that we think STILL sinks after we trade with them ..

THIS is the opposite of giving up assets with future potential for a "fix" with a vet ..rather it is trying like WASH with Varlamov to Col--or BOS with Kessel (using a positionplayer as bait) to TOR ---which returns a possible or certain top of round one pick ...A team constantly drafting 25-30 will eventually deplete in top end talent..so you must try fleecing some other team to get the replenishment of top-end quality you need.

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 04:34 PM
BiBoFro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
1. IF it ain't broke--don't fix it..ie. we are #1 now and playing well --why risk a disruptive "change" or 'new guy" taking someone else's job?---may hurt the locker room?

2. WAIT-till the trade deadline approaches to see IF we need anything more...

3. KEEP in mind ROCKY is spendingreal $$$$ on HUET and OLESZ---GIVE HIM A BREAK! DON"T SPEND ANYMORE --just "because we have cap room"...

4. If we do use the space--use it wisely --our first + a player+a prospect for some
bottom feeder's cap or $$$ relief PLUS their 1st rounder---ie. MAYBE we can "steal" a lotto pick from a bottom 4 likely finishing team? Hard to see what player anyone would want from us who we'd give up to get that chance...IMAGINE however IF
we had a deeper better GOALIE CROP already at Rockford ...We could trade EMERY for a lot to teams with strggling goalie situations (can anyone sat TORONTO?) ..

THIS PROVES the old adage about never having toomany good goalies in the pipeline
because at some point some NHL team willbe desperate for a puck stopping saviour
----look what WASH got for VARLAMOV from COLORADO--at first it looked like the AV's won the deal as VARLAMOV shone right out of the gate this year--but lately he's giving up goals in bunches...if this continues the Av's could keep falling and WASH may end up with a good lotto pick==you never know how high...GOALIES are great trading assets..but the Hawks have nada at Rockford --the Icehogs keep outshooting most teams but their goalies save %'s are terrible -nobody tradeworthy there or ready to call up .So we cant dangle EMERY tothe LAFFS...
Thiscis why STAN must upgrade the goalie "talent" for the pipeline such that as a likely 25-30 drafting team most years in the foreseeable future-we can trade a desired asset for great value (ie. a chance to draft very high occaisonally such that we replemish our pool of "A" position player prospects.. GOALIE strength of depth will provide the best assets for doing that NOT because the prospects in goal will attract the trade partner interest--but because our team can call them up as back-ups such that we trade our resident back-up if he is a good enough goalie toattract a desperate team's attention.

ALAS we cannot do that this year... so STAN must prepare a long term strategy such that in future when a chance presents itself we have the right player+prospect +pick package to get us a top pick chance from a desperate team that we think STILL sinks after we trade with them ..

THIS is the opposite of giving up assets with future potential for a "fix" with a vet ..rather it is trying like WASH with Varlamov to Col--or BOS with Kessel (using a positionplayer as bait) to TOR ---which returns a possible or certain top of round one pick ...A team constantly drafting 25-30 will eventually deplete in top end talent..so you must try fleecing some other team to get the replenishment of top-end quality you need.
In terms of Salary dollars you are right. just added it up. For our current roster plus huet and olesz, Wirtz is shelling out just under 75 million (74.94). It's unbelievable if we get a high end player that our salaries will trump that for the regular season, as players don't get paid for the playoffs.

Seriously.... 10 million over the cap in terms of real dollars....

BiBoFro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 05:19 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
I've been thinking more about the type of player we should acquire, and where before I was leaning towards a decent 2nd line guy and another 4/5 defenseman, I'm thinking we should grab one or two really strong 3rd line guys.

The reason is that our system is full of guys that should be competing for top 6 spots, Saad,Morin, Pirri, etc. but even guys like Frolik and Stalberg on the current roster, while I wouldn't consider them top 6 players currently they both lean towards being skill guys, and letting guys like that compete for a spot is only incentive for them to polish their game the best they can. If we acquire someone like Parise/Iginla who are locks for the top 6 then guys that are lower on the depth chart don't even have incentive to try.

I don't think John Madden fits the bill anymore, but guys like that, or like Jordan Staal... not that Staal would ever happen but could you imagine?

Unfortunately I can't think of any players like that that might be available. If we had to get a top 6 player what does everyone think of Evander Kane?
How about their next contract? Getting another opportunity to play top six minutes somewhere else? Winning a Stanley Cup? I think those are all the incentives a professional athlete should need to bust their tail off every shift.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Spectra
Registered boozer

Hoping that the Canes are sellers approaching the deadline because Gleason would be an absolute perfect fit for us. I also like Ruutu and think he would be great on Kaners wing. Both are UFA's and it's unlikely we would keep both if any of them beyond this season.

I would give up a lot for these two and the Canes would be asking for a lot.

Gleason + Ruutu for Bickell, Lalonde and Pirri or Beach + picks if necessary. Would not give up our 1st for 2012 since the draft is pretty stacked.

We get immediate upgrades in our top 6 and top 4 and the Canes get players that are almost NHL ready and should have a chance of making their roster for next season + Bickell who can still become good.

Stalberg-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Kane-Ruutu
Carcillo-Bolland-Frolik
Brunette-Kruger-Smith/Mayers

Keith-Seabrook
Gleason-Leddy
Hjalmarsson-Montador

Crawford
Emery

That's the Cup favourite right there.

Spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 06:52 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
How about their next contract? Getting another opportunity to play top six minutes somewhere else? Winning a Stanley Cup? I think those are all the incentives a professional athlete should need to bust their tail off every shift.
I agree, but you only have to look as far as Bickell to find a professional athlete that has motivation issues. For guys like that, I think you dangle that top 6 spot in front of them and make them compete to earn it. It can only help players further their own development.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 06:56 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
I agree, but you only have to look as far as Bickell to find a professional athlete that has motivation issues. For guys like that, I think you dangle that top 6 spot in front of them and make them compete to earn it. It can only help players further their own development.
So you know bickell personally and know its a motivation issue?

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra View Post
Hoping that the Canes are sellers approaching the deadline because Gleason would be an absolute perfect fit for us. I also like Ruutu and think he would be great on Kaners wing. Both are UFA's and it's unlikely we would keep both if any of them beyond this season.

I would give up a lot for these two and the Canes would be asking for a lot.

Gleason + Ruutu for Bickell, Lalonde and Pirri or Beach + picks if necessary. Would not give up our 1st for 2012 since the draft is pretty stacked.

We get immediate upgrades in our top 6 and top 4 and the Canes get players that are almost NHL ready and should have a chance of making their roster for next season + Bickell who can still become good.

Stalberg-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Kane-Ruutu
Carcillo-Bolland-Frolik
Brunette-Kruger-Smith/Mayers

Keith-Seabrook
Gleason-Leddy
Hjalmarsson-Montador

Crawford
Emery

That's the Cup favourite right there.
Can someone explain to me why Ruutu is so wanted?

Guy was freaking awful his final year here and had absolutely no chemistry with either Toews/Kane

If he was acquired one of those guys would be his C + He is streaky as hell (Still)

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Spectra
Registered boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Can someone explain to me why Ruutu is so wanted?

Guy was freaking awful his final year here and had absolutely no chemistry with either Toews/Kane

If he was acquired one of those guys would be his C + He is streaky as hell (Still)
He's a player type we miss and he's better now than when he left.

Spectra is offline   Reply With Quote