HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Veteran keeps plugging away, hoping the Habs might need him

Old
11-18-2011, 09:00 AM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
6'5, 220, physical and can fight. Why in the world would he ever think the Habs would call him up?
Simple: he's not really a good defenseman.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:09 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
The only defensmen that has been better then Henry in Hamilton is St-Denis, they have been the top 2 D on the team and the rest have all struggled.
You Dan, are the only person here i will beleive when it comes to Hamilton. Because i can garantee you that the other posters here giving their input on Henry have only seen him play in Montreal during a very limited amount of time. I still wonder why they blow stuff out their without even having a clue besides what they hear about him clearing waivers, meaning he is trash.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:09 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Simple: he's not really a good defenseman.
and another one bites the dust.

Old
11-18-2011, 09:10 AM
Bullsmith

Love the guy, but he can't keep up with the NHL. If you think this is the solution to the Habs' problems, you're dreaming.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:30 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
and another one bites the dust.
Why? He's not wrong. The fact that he's 32 years old and still 11th or whatever on our depth chart points to the fact that he's not very good. So him and St-Denis have been the two best in Hamilton...that's great, but it's the best of a bad situation. St-Denis already got the call, Henry would probably be next. Which means he's right in line with our depth chart and not being passed over due to some stupid perceived "toughness bias" or whatever.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:41 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Why? He's not wrong. The fact that he's 32 years old and still 11th or whatever on our depth chart points to the fact that he's not very good.
Off the top of my head, but thanks to Habs Eyes on the Prize who did this exercise first:

Andrei Markov
PK Subban
Josh Gorges
Jaroslav Spacek
Chris Campoli
Hal Gill
Yanick Weber
Raphael Diaz
Alexei Emelin
Brendan Nash
Frederic St-Denis
...and then maybe Alex Henry. Guys in bold are with the Habs, guys in normal typeface are injured or sick.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:46 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Why? He's not wrong. The fact that he's 32 years old and still 11th or whatever on our depth chart points to the fact that he's not very good. So him and St-Denis have been the two best in Hamilton...that's great, but it's the best of a bad situation. St-Denis already got the call, Henry would probably be next. Which means he's right in line with our depth chart and not being passed over due to some stupid perceived "toughness bias" or whatever.
Because ! Our need was for experience. And i would have taken Henry miles ahead of St-Denis. Is that really that complicated to comprehend ? Henry has NHL experience.
But hey i guess it might have been a recall to appease the general francophone public and media. So no harm done.

Old
11-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
6'5, 220, physical and can fight. Why in the world would he ever think the Habs would call him up?
since he can't play defense very well.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:01 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Because ! Our need was for experience. And i would have taken Henry miles ahead of St-Denis. Is that really that complicated to comprehend ? Henry has NHL experience.
But hey i guess it might have been a recall to appease the general francophone public and media. So no harm done.
Do you think our management is completely oblivious to the fact that Henry has NHL experience, or what?

Obviously it was taken into consideration, and obviously it was decided it wasn't an important enough factor to give him the call over St-Denis.

When we win a game, somehow nobody has a problem with the St-Denis call-up. Now that we lost a game, it was so clearly the wrong choice and how stupid could we have been for leaving Henry and his wealth of experience in the minors and so on.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:02 AM
BLONG7

Give Henry credit, for being a pro about things...I would love to see him up for 1 game, vs the Bruins, to have a chat with Mee-lawn...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Et le But

Why is it so hard to understand that St-Denis is the better defender? Because he's not tall?

Henry was probably a 7th D at his peak, he's far from that. Like someone else said he's Gill without the penalty killing ability and with the ability to fight. Gill is bad enough, and at least he's one of the best guys you can have on a 5 on 3.

I like Henry, he's a great teammate who stands up for his team and watches over younger defenders. I'm glad to have a guy like that in the system. Had the Habs not had a better defender such as St-Denis, he would have probably deserved a callup because Mitera is trash. But it wouldn't have been a good thing.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:13 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Do you think our management is completely oblivious to the fact that Henry has NHL experience, or what?

Obviously it was taken into consideration, and obviously it was decided it wasn't an important enough factor to give him the call over St-Denis.

When we win a game, somehow nobody has a problem with the St-Denis call-up. Now that we lost a game, it was so clearly the wrong choice and how stupid could we have been for leaving Henry and his wealth of experience in the minors and so on.
With what JM said to Laraque. Nope i'm not one bit surprised. And before you get all excited. A Roy confirmed what Laraque said.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:14 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Why is it so hard to understand that St-Denis is the better defender? Because he's not tall?

Henry was probably a 7th D at his peak, he's far from that. Like someone else said he's Gill without the penalty killing ability and with the ability to fight. Gill is bad enough, and at least he's one of the best guys you can have on a 5 on 3.

I like Henry, he's a great teammate who stands up for his team and watches over younger defenders. I'm glad to have a guy like that in the system. Had the Habs not had a better defender such as St-Denis, he would have probably deserved a callup because Mitera is trash. But it wouldn't have been a good thing.
Yet he was captain of Minnesota.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I like Henry because he offers a singular skill - toughness. Our coach prefers guys who are unspectacular and conservative. Guys who don't take risks to make plays. Think of the trouble Yemelin has had... Martin cringes when he decides he's going to finish his check.

Henry if nothing else has toughness and size...

It gives him a stand-alone quality. I would like to feature that quality on my time. Martin would like to build a team of robots who never break program and always play to his expectations.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Some people have to take in consideration that Henry played two thirds of his NHL games in clutch and grab era where speed wasn't crucial for defensemen, I don't think it's a coincidence that he hasn't played more than 1 season post-lockout. Also for the guy who mentioned Andre Roy, boohoo he ****ing sucks at playing hockey; just like Laraque in his time here.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:26 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Because being captain = skills. So since Ethan Moreau has been captain once he's a top 6 player? And many other ****** players who've been captains on their NHL teams?

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:30 AM
gusfring

You would think we had the best D core in the league based on the comments in this thread.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:36 AM

Don't feel too bad for the guy, he's earning 200K$ to play hockey professionally in the AHL. If he didn't make the NHL it's because he's slow. He should have worked on his speed. He's not even that good of a fighter anyway.

68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:44 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
With what JM said to Laraque. Nope i'm not one bit surprised. And before you get all excited. A Roy confirmed what Laraque said.
I have no idea what you're referring to or what its relevance is, but OK.

Quote:
They were on a rotating system where everyone got to be captain, Jesus Christ.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:45 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Don't feel too bad for the guy, he's earning 200K$ to play hockey professionally in the AHL. If he didn't make the NHL it's because he's slow. He should have worked on his speed. He's not even that good of a fighter anyway.
I heard he worked this summer on a new training system to help him get quicker. I don't remember him in the NHL but in the AHL he's one of the top fighters in the league imo.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Because being captain = skills. So since Ethan Moreau has been captain once he's a top 6 player? And many other ****** players who've been captains on their NHL teams?
Craig Rivet was the captain of the Sabres a little while ago. Maybe we should get him.. oh he's in the ECHL now? Oh oh sorry.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
You would think we had the best D core in the league based on the comments in this thread.
No, if we did we could afford to have a bad defender as our 6th D just because he's big and fights.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:48 AM
xposbrad

Well, this team would rather 5'10 190lbs guys who can't play D aka Diaz instead who let guys run all over Price and who can't clear the crease...

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:53 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
Well, this team would rather 5'10 190lbs guys who can't play D aka Diaz instead who let guys run all over Price and who can't clear the crease...
Don't bother Brad, you will just get crushed by this little click of people who think any form of toughness in hockey should be banned.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:55 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Don't bother Brad, you will just get crushed by this little click of people who think any form of toughness in hockey should be banned.
Yeah, that's what it is.