HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Columbus vs. Minnesota | 11/15 7PM EST | "Idea-less" Edition

Old
11-16-2011, 06:44 PM
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated

vCash: 500
blahblah is one of the smartest people I've encountered on Internet.

ThisIsMyAlibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 06:57 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Can somebody explain to me why the Dispatch calls Cal Clutterbuck "Cal Defenseless"?

For an official media outlet, that is unprofessional to call him that repeatedly.
Paying Porty in beer and bologna doesn't make him a professional.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Awwww yeah. The team should now be known as the Columbus Ass Clowns!!!

CAC 4 life!
Well, Boomer is then out as the mascot. What is the mascot for the CAC?

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:15 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
Well, Boomer is then out as the mascot. What is the mascot for the CAC?
Are you somehow suggesting that a giant phallic cannon mascot is inappropriate for the CAC?

We could always just give stinger a big red poof ball nose.

...and assless chaps.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

Quote:
Awwww yeah. The team should now be known as the Columbus Ass Clowns!!!

CAC 4 life!
We'd have to ask permission from the Habs to use their old jerseys. The colors are a pretty good match.

Nanabijou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 11:51 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Are you somehow suggesting that a giant phallic cannon mascot is inappropriate for the CAC?

We could always just give stinger a big red poof ball nose.

...and assless chaps.

11-17-2011, 05:15 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Can somebody explain to me why the Dispatch calls Cal Clutterbuck "Cal Defenseless"?

For an official media outlet, that is unprofessional to call him that repeatedly.
Porty did that in his blog, which is much less formal and aimed more at fans like us.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:45 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMyAlibi View Post
New to this Internet thing? I bet you wish you had paid more attention to Al Gore.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I understand very well what happened in the negotiations and from your description I understand it better than you do. Do you even know who pushed for Pahlsson (I won't confirm nor deny your answer)? I am also aware of a comment from Howson that was made about Manny's role when we were closing in on a playoff spot.

I know why the talks soured and I know that Howson created his own mess.

It's comments like this in the past that have made me question your postings. You come off as an insider on this one, but your description of events don't jive. Not trying to be a jerk here, just saying there are some definite discrepancies.
You may well be right. Contract negotiations aren't something that I ever paid much attention to; I'd listen for numbers and term, but outside of that I regarded the chatter about contracts as a waste of time. All things considered, I'd rather be in Saginaw with a notebook than listen to the back-and-forth. And I don't mean watching the Saginaw Spirit, I mean just hanging out in Saginaw.

What I know about Malhotra is a combination of a little bit that was made publicly available and a lot that came from someone who wasn't quite as disdainful, but close. I've gotten bad information before, and I won't dismiss that as a possibility.

Quote:
As for the rest of your post, you strike me as a person that evaluates things like ceilings, what type of tools a player has, etc. That isn't what wins hockey games. I would take Manny on my team over Brassard any day of the week and twice on Tuesdays. That's not to say that Brassard won't eventually get better, but there is no evidence that he is developing.

If Brassard can be a -5 and be responsible for 10 additional goals on the PP, he's probably worth it at 3.2 million. Right now, he's not worth a top six spot. He's not a role player, thus he doesn't justify a bottom six spot. Unless he picks up his play he's a waste of a roster spot and the money he is being payed. He offers nothing in the form of intangibles. When he's not producing he's a liability. When Manny isn't producing he's still an asset.
This is another version of an age-old debate. There were some who preferred Mark Messier to Wayne Gretzky because if Gretzky wasn't scoring, he wasn't backchecking, he wasn't hitting, he wasn't doing much of anything. Obviously the difference between Brassard and Malhotra isn't that extreme.

I think it takes a lot to consider a player a true liability in any zone or in any context. Two years ago, I'd have laughed at the idea of Brassard being a liability. This year, I'm not so sure. He looks nothing like he did two years ago, and only time will tell if this is n aberration or not. I have a tough time believing that a 2006 draft pick has already peaked, so I'm inclined to say that it is an aberration and eventually (soon, hopefully) he'll get it together.

Quote:
If you recall I was not a fan of Manny for a long time. He finally got it and became a competitive player. I remember debating that with Hash. For a long time Manny was not a competitive player, other than in the faceoff circle and somewhat in the defensive zone. He was buried as a 4th line player. Something finally clicked, I think Peca and finally listening to Hitch was what pushed him over the edge. From that point on he became an asset and bottom six player that could fill in on the top line and actually hold his own. For a group of guys that didn't produce at a top line pace, they played their game and kept the other teams from getting on the score sheet while chipping in. Manny wouldn't necessarily work with other teams top lines, but he worked with Nash. Very well actually.
I'm more inclined to say that being around Ken Hitchcock and providing some amount of guidance is what really got him going. Understand that had I possessed the third overall pick in 1998 and been in charge, I'd have either taken Malhotra or moved back to add something else while making sure that I got him. I was more sold on him than I was on Legwand. If I were putting together an all-time all-OHL team, I'd be very tempted to stick Malhotra in the middle of the third line and call it a day.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I could go player by player, but I won't bother. I flat out disagree. You see a potential based on past performance and what I see in many cases was a statistical fluke that will never be achieved again. Vermette is a perfect example.
It's an oversimplification that I don't buy. For players under 30, yes, it's certainly reasonable to look to the very recent past as an example of what someone is able to do. More important is that the rest of the league is likely going to consider it, which could come in handy if moves are made.

After 30...not so much.

Quote:
Here's my point. You look at the vacuum of Howson's trades. I'm looking at this holistically. The team he's put together is garbage. The coach he selected to lead them is clueless. As such, while Howson might on an individual basis do fine trading Asset A for Asset B, I have no faith that when all of the assets he acquired were combined that we'd be any better on the whole because he lacks the vision necessary to build a team.
Every team is made up of various (and sometimes very dissimilar) components. Even teams that tend to gravitate toward the extreme of a particular style such as Washington still will have a need for players who not only aren't built for that, but are built for the opposite. Detroit has several players who don't fit the mold of who they would have drafted or otherwise considered, and yet they produce just the same.

Quote:
With Doug, I always felt he was a crap GM but a great President. With Howson, I feel he's a poor GM, but he'd be perfectly fine doing what he did in Edmonton--i.e. pinch hitting on a deal-specific basis while someone else is in charge of the overall vision of putting together the team. You could argue the same was true of Dave Nonis who did a poor job as GM in Vancouver, but is perfectly fine as an Assistant.
You may eventually be right. I'm not going to agree at this point, but I'll go farther than I ever have by saying that you may end up being right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMyAlibi View Post
I enjoy these boards for a few of the posters. I greatly enjoy blahblah and Capn (and more), despite our sometimes strenuous disagreements over every issue under the sun.

Nothing beats a good intelligent hockey discussion, and I know they'll bring it.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post

Nothing beats a good intelligent hockey discussion, and I know they'll bring it.
It's the greatest thing in the world, except for a nice MLT - mutton lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean...

Old
11-18-2011, 10:38 AM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
It's the greatest thing in the world, except for a nice MLT - mutton lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean...
They're so perky. I love that!

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote