HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Devils @ Sabres, Part 2

Old
11-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Corrente is not offensive minded enough to QB a PP, though

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 07:50 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
Yeah, not to toot my horn, but I did not think last year was a fluke. I expected him to make the team over "favorites" like Taormina, Urbom, and other flashier players.
I felt the same way. Fayne has been very good. The fact he has 3 goals from the blueline says alot.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Tao Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
Corrente is not offensive minded enough to QB a PP, though
I like Tao over Corrente, but I think with the recent waivings of Pelley and Fraser and the logjam on D in Albany, they may expose Corrente to waivers to see if anyone bites.

I see Tao coming up between January-March unless there are injuries or the NJ goes on a bad run then he may get earlier look.

Tao Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Tie DOMI View Post
I didn't. When did that happen? Did she stick her hand through the hole in the glass where the cameraman sits?
Yep, except this time, it was a camerawoman. Anyway, the zamboni is coming along, and she has her hand out there, my buddy starts telling me get her hand out of there, and I'm thinking, what? Then, I realized and I pulled it out of there before she lost her arm.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:57 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
In men`s league, Kovalchuk pulled his groin (like that) for the first time in his career when he constantly got to play 25+ minutes per game and lead all the NHL forwards in that category. Just saying.
"Just saying"...what?!

No offense, I place no merit on the diagnoses of message board doctors, who proclaim injury causation where there is no proof.

But for the sake of discussion, let's assume Dr. Getzo is correct. So what if Kovy did, in fact, incur an injury by playing alot?

What are you supposed to do? Play him less? Worry?

Yes, the Men's hockey League. Not one's local intramural tee-ball league.

Quote:
Also, in men`s league, Larsson clearly looks gassed. Especially in back-to-back games which is natural, because he`s still just a teenager not used to play as much; at the highest level; in such a physical league.
To me, the only thing that Larsson clearly looks like is...a (superb) rookie NHL dman playing his first 20 games in the NHL, and experiencing the normal challenges that come with it. He's perfectly fine. And the hypothetical "solution" to this non-problem - sit him out, even for a single game - is over-reactive and, excuse me, soft. Part of building better hockey players is challenging them, both mentally and physically. The best players respond and become winners. That is exactly what Deboer is doing with Larsson and will continue to do for 82+ games. He wants to cultivate a bonafide #1 dman, not a ballerina. And now is the time to do it.

Kovy is too physically taxed to play 25+ minutes...Larsson is "too young" to be playing 25 minutes and every game...Sykora will be "too old" to last the season. And so on.

Better watch those pitch counts!

Last edited by Trottier: 11-18-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 02:10 AM
VaxjoDevil

Looking at Volchenkov's hit now, I can see why he got 1 game and Myers nothing. Volch does give an extra elbow there. Those elbow pads feel like stone in your face/head.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 02:14 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedenby21 View Post
I'll take a poor man's Adam Oates any day.
The fact that he's not in the Hall of Fame is a complete joke.

There are 5 players in the top 10 in both career assists and assists per game:

Wayne Gretzky (1st total, 1st per game)
Mario Lemieux (10th, 2nd)
Paul Coffey (5th, 8th)
Marcel Dionne (9th, 9th)
Adam Oates (6th, 7th)

Two of those players were elected to the Hall of Fame after waiting the minimum 3 years. Two of those players were elected to the Hall of Fame, and didn't even have to wait the minimum three years. One of those players is not in the Hall of Fame. I hope I'm not the only one who sees a problem with that.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 02:20 AM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Nobody was really sold on him going into the season

The guy had a pretty good rookie campaign and myself and a lot of others were warry as to whether or not he could continue his solid play or if last year was just a fluke

So far he's improved big time
Quote:
Jerry was iirc.
Ding! Ding! Ding!

All aboard!!!

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 02:47 AM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post

Paul Coffey (5th, 8th)
Marcel Dionne (9th, 9th)
Adam Oates (6th, 7th)

Two of those players were elected to the Hall of Fame after waiting the minimum 3 years. Two of those players were elected to the Hall of Fame, and didn't even have to wait the minimum three years. One of those players is not in the Hall of Fame. I hope I'm not the only one who sees a problem with that.
i agree completely. it is a joke for sure. the only thing i can think of is that he is not as sexy of a inductee because he was not much of a goal scorer. it's ludicrous though. one of the best passers to ever play the game and he's not in. i don't get it.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 07:08 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
"Just saying"...what?!

No offense, I place no merit on the diagnoses of message board doctors, who proclaim injury causation where there is no proof.

But for the sake of discussion, let's assume Dr. Getzo is correct. So what if Kovy did, in fact, incur an injury by playing alot?

What are you supposed to do? Play him less? Worry?

Yes, the Men's hockey League. Not one's local intramural tee-ball league.

To me, the only thing that Larsson clearly looks like is...a (superb) rookie NHL dman playing his first 20 games in the NHL, and experiencing the normal challenges that come with it. He's perfectly fine. And the hypothetical "solution" to this non-problem - sit him out, even for a single game - is over-reactive and, excuse me, soft. Part of building better hockey players is challenging them, both mentally and physically. The best players respond and become winners. That is exactly what Deboer is doing with Larsson and will continue to do for 82+ games. He wants to cultivate a bonafide #1 dman, not a ballerina. And now is the time to do it.

Kovy is too physically taxed to play 25+ minutes...Larsson is "too young" to be playing 25 minutes and every game...Sykora will be "too old" to last the season. And so on.

Better watch those pitch counts!
Worry? No. Play him less and use the time for other two scoring lines that can contribute? Well, yes, that`s what coaches usually do. No drastic change of course. Not sure what`s so funny about that. Board doctors? C`mon, every sports doctor would tell you the very same thing, no need to act like this.

He`s fine (not perfectly) now. And while I agree about challenging the players to see what they got and how they respond, hypothetically, anything can happen. Don`t want to talk about that? No one is forcing you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Looking at Volchenkov's hit now, I can see why he got 1 game and Myers nothing. Volch does give an extra elbow there. Those elbow pads feel like stone in your face/head.
Yep, that`s why I posted the video again.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:

Paul Coffey (5th, 8th)
Marcel Dionne (9th, 9th)
Adam Oates (6th, 7th)

Oates will make it in eventually. He wasn't going to be a first ballot guy, because of the low goal scoring numbers and the lack of hardware.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 08:07 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

What.... Myers didn't get suspended? What a surprise

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Drewr15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
I don't think there's any question that Fayne is the best defenseman on the team right now. If you look at ES numbers for the past few games Fayne-Tallinder have been playing just as much, if not more than Larsson. Larsson just gets the edge in icetime because of his time on the PP.

And when you look at how he's played, he deserves the distincition (albeit without serious competition).

I haven't been this comfortable with a Devil D in his own zone since Martin left (once again, not saying much, but still a nice compliment to a guy that most had no clue about a year ago).

In the near future, Larsson will stabilize the first pair, and Fayne the second.
Have to agree.

Drewr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:11 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Fayne is making me eat my words.

I never taught he'd be this good this early. Like several posters have said, he's been one of our best, if not the best, d-men for us so far.

I mean, he's not a #1 d-men but he's playing real well and that's all I can ask for from a guy I didn't even think would crack our team last year.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Nobody ever really expects a fifth rounder to be an impact player at the NHL level. Fayne has beaten the odds.

Old
11-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Capt Brycey Poo
Im back baby!

Fayne has not been our #1 dman so far, maybe #3. Tallinder and Volchenkov are our best. Larsson is behind Fayne, but taking his workload and the fact that he is played against the best into consideration, he might have out-played Fayne. Nevertheless Fayne has been good, but the kid is nothing more than a well-playing 6th pair defenceman.

Capt Brycey Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Zachy Poo View Post
Fayne has not been our #1 dman so far, maybe #3. Tallinder and Volchenkov are our best. Larsson is behind Fayne, but taking his workload and the fact that he is played against the best into consideration, he might have out-played Fayne. Nevertheless Fayne has been good, but the kid is nothing more than a well-playing 6th pair defenceman.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I'd say he's a middle pairing defenceman who is overachieving right now.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Capt Brycey Poo
Im back baby!

Tallinder has been extremely solid, so has been Volchenkov. When those two play well, it reflects on our kids in D. Fayne has been playing extremely well, but he is not the best D man in this team, doesnt matter how many Barney gifs you post Getzo.

Capt Brycey Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:38 AM
CerebralGenesis

I could possibly agree with the Tallinder statement if he didn't have his worst game 2 games ago.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Camille the Eel

Don't forget Bryce Salvador - He's having a hell of a season and is a huge reason that they look more solid in front of the goal -

All the defensemen are playing better, look more confident - They're moving the puck more quickly in their own zone, jumping into play to break up the other team's rushes in the neutral zone, and pinching in the other team's end, much more decisively than last year. They all have more of an idea of what they're doing. Also being more physical across the board. If there's any one who looks a little lost at times it's Greene, in my opinion. Like he's not sure which side he wants to be on or something.

Greene reminds me of Mike Motto - a kind of hybrid, in between guy - Skates well, handles the puck well, should be doing more, be more involved.

So far this team looks better than I expected. Agree with the Versus announcers Wed. night that there's a new, more aggressive, pressure the puck style. There was talk about that in '09, last time they really challenged (and but for the last 1.5 minutes in Game 7 against Carolina would have moved on)

Camille the Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

Quote:

Paul Coffey (5th, 8th)
Marcel Dionne (9th, 9th)
Adam Oates (6th, 7th)

He will eventually get in.

Tedenby21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Tallinder has been extremely solid, so has been Volchenkov. When those two play well, it reflects on our kids in D. Fayne has been playing extremely well, but he is not the best D man in this team, doesnt matter how many Barney gifs you post Getzo.
Lol que? Where did I say he is? I bolded the interesting part.

Tallinder had ups and downs, so did Volchenkov and Salvador. Greene has been often our best and by far our most consistent defenseman this season. Fayne, just like you`ve said has been playing extremely well in the last few games.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:53 AM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
That's nuts. There's nothing to suggest that Volchenkov has been our #3, much less the best defenseman.

You don't even have to look deep at the numbers. Just look at icetime. #1 defensemen aren't playing 16 minutes a night.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Drewr15

Quote:
Lol que? Where did I say he is? I bolded the interesting part.

Tallinder had ups and downs, so did Volchenkov and Salvador. Greene has been often our best and by far our most consistent defenseman this season. Fayne, just like you`ve said has been playing extremely well in the last few of games.
I disagree with Green being our best a lot. He has had some really bad games and the couple games he was paired with Tallinder they were god awful and terrible in our zone. Fayne in my opinion has been the most consistent by far.

Drewr15 is offline   Reply With Quote