HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. II

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2011, 02:40 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

vCash: 500
I primarily tune in for Piere in the morning...that's it.

Jerome is embarrassing. He's like that old uncle who thinks he's really funny but his jokes are decades stale.

Versage and "Sho Killer" sounds worse than the college radio show my friends and I hosted on pro wrestling...

The worst is the email segment on TGOR. The number of sad, sad listeners who email EVERY FREAKIN' DAY with their stupid inside jokes and insipid nicknaming of themselves. It makes me want to rip my eardrums out.

Healthy Scratches is the only thing bearable on the network. And the post game show has improved immensely now that Macarthur and Eastwood are gone. On the few chances I've met Macarthur, he comes across as a massive douchenozzle. He is so full of himself. Eastwood is a condescending jerk too.

Media in general in Ottawa could use a massive reset.

Old
10-28-2011, 04:05 PM
operasen

Maybe HFBoards show provide the content and hosts for a few weeks to show them how its done.

Anyone want to list their lineup

TGOR

Morning Show1.

Jim Rome Replacement

Scratches

PreGame

Round Table

Announcer/Colour

Post Game

Station Manager

Old
10-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
I primarily tune in for Pierre in the morning...that's it.

Jerome is embarrassing. He's like that old uncle who thinks he's really funny but his jokes are decades stale.

Versage and "Sho Killer" sounds worse than the college radio show my friends and I hosted on pro wrestling...

The worst is the email segment on TGOR. The number of sad, sad listeners who email EVERY FREAKIN' DAY with their stupid inside jokes and insipid nicknaming of themselves. It makes me want to rip my eardrums out.

Healthy Scratches is the only thing bearable on the network. And the post game show has improved immensely now that Macarthur and Eastwood are gone. On the few chances I've met Macarthur, he comes across as a massive douchenozzle. He is so full of himself. Eastwood is a condescending jerk too.

Agree with everything here.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:21 AM
umma gumma

The morning show is rediculous. It's primarily a football show. Everytime I tune in they're talking about the NFL. Today for insatnce, day after game day, 3 wins in a row, and most of the talk is about the NFL. Complete horse *****. it would be nice if they gave the NHL, you know, our national game, the same attention the NFL gets. Just terrible.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Spex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeremy View Post
Healthy Scratches is a good listen. York and Lloyd are great and their guests are usually pretty good.
Unless it's a non-hockey take then York tunes out or changes the subject.

I was listening a few weeks back when they were interviewing a rugby player. I'm not a fan, but I found it cool that they went off the board with a rugby guy.

York, of course, did not say one word during the interview. But when it was over, he said something about Al Charron and his beard and then they wasted like 10 minutes talking about beards and Halloween parties

I just shook my head

Old
11-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Spex

Quote:

I emailed TGOR about this one day. I was pointing out how bush league it was to have (arguably) the flagship show on the station relying on random listener emails to fill air-time, emails that have nothing to do with the shows content (like what "Dan the Man is doing this weekend" or "Six-pack Steve asking what he should get his wife for their anniversary).

They of course read the email on the air and proceeded to ridicule it.

If government is the only place where you can screw around, provide no value and still keep your job…then sports radio in Ottawa is a close second.

When was the last time any staff member of the TEAM 1200 broke a news story?

Old
11-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Upgrayedd
Earn'em and Burn'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post
I emailed TGOR about this one day. I was pointing out how bush league it was to have (arguably) the flagship show on the station relying on random listener emails to fill air-time, emails that have nothing to do with the shows content (like what "Dan the Man is doing this weekend" or "Six-pack Steve asking what he should get his wife for their anniversary).They of course read the email on the air and proceeded to ridicule it.

If government is the only place where you can screw around, provide no value and still keep your job…then sports radio in Ottawa is a close second.

When was the last time any staff member of the TEAM 1200 broke a news story?
I will second this point, i literally change stations when the same callers/emailers who for some reason the host's favour bring the same old lame jokes/takes every single day..."sleepy jeff" give me a break this guy is as funny as whole wheat bread, also the self appointed nicknames are sickening....a man doing a "morning stretch" is pretty much the last thing i want to hear about as i rat race to work nor do i want to hear from someone who uses this as their nickname....nor do i want any sexual advice from three men in their fifties....something tells me these people and i share very different views on sports!

*Lastly who calls into a sports based trivia game with absolutley no knowledge of sports whatsoever?

Old
11-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Droc
Classless

Quote:
I primarily tune in for Piere in the morning...that's it.

I used to enjoy Jeromes stories, but so often, all the guy does is take ridiculous sides just to be the unpopular opposition. He really is the stupidest person on Ottawa radio, although Lowell Greens christian fueled racism is a close second. I ****ing hate Jim. He is 100% stupid and 99% of the time, makes no sense because he doesnt even pay attention to the conversation. Given the chance, Id kill him with a shovel.

TGOR adds nothing, not a single thing. Its sports radio...but from 7am to 8am, your lucky to hear anything about sports and more about the local ottawa sun headlines. If I wanted to hear about the bus drivers, Id listen to 580, 1200 is sports. The dirty dozen is so stupid I have literally tossed a clock radio out my bathroom window.

And that stupid Greco segment. Do they still do that? I ****ing HATED that segment. It was just one long commercial where the other guys sit around and **** on Gerco's **** as he finds thousands of ways to say "healthy diet + exercise = his patented key to success".
That and the stupid running show on the weekends? holy ****! Whats next, the stretching show?

Nothing is worse then the dead air also known as Jim Rome. How the hell does that horrible show get syndicated to our part of the planet?

Talk sports guys, its not hard. Senators, fat cats, college and university teams...heck, even do a show on the 67's.

Im so glad I have SIRIUS(you can too, usually for half of advertised).

Old
11-18-2011, 07:42 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droc View Post
I used to enjoy Jeromes stories, but so often, all the guy does is take ridiculous sides just to be the unpopular opposition. He really is the stupidest person on Ottawa radio, although Lowell Greens christian fueled racism is a close second. I ****ing hate Jim. He is 100% stupid and 99% of the time, makes no sense because he doesnt even pay attention to the conversation. Given the chance, Id kill him with a shovel.

TGOR adds nothing, not a single thing. Its sports radio...but from 7am to 8am, your lucky to hear anything about sports and more about the local ottawa sun headlines. If I wanted to hear about the bus drivers, Id listen to 580, 1200 is sports. The dirty dozen is so stupid I have literally tossed a clock radio out my bathroom window.

And that stupid Greco segment. Do they still do that? I ****ing HATED that segment. It was just one long commercial where the other guys sit around and **** on Gerco's **** as he finds thousands of ways to say "healthy diet + exercise = his patented key to success".
That and the stupid running show on the weekends? holy ****! Whats next, the stretching show?

Nothing is worse then the dead air also known as Jim Rome. How the hell does that horrible show get syndicated to our part of the planet?

Talk sports guys, its not hard. Senators, fat cats, college and university teams...heck, even do a show on the 67's.

Im so glad I have SIRIUS(you can too, usually for half of advertised).
jim rome is awesome.

seriously he is the only decent sports show around that doesn't talk about hockey which is why it's not popular. obviously i like hockey thats why i'm here but i want to actually hear NFL interviews and ufc interviews something Ottawa shows cannot provide.

he has a pretty decent view on UFC and football he also had a some of the best coverage on the Penn state scandal he is soooo not a crap show.

tisk tisk

Old
11-19-2011, 09:34 PM
otown

Never thought I'd say this but after listening to 590 and 1050 when I was in Toronto, 1200 is the "ECHL" of sports radio (with the exception of 1200's power hour and the odd guest who can provide relevant insight on a sports topic).
The morning show has basically become a show about nothing, with meaningless diatribes,stale jokes and way too many "let's get a look at those double D's"!
Meaningful sports content has taken a back seat to the ramblings of three guys who have seen better days.
Ottawa sports fans deserve better.

Old
11-20-2011, 01:46 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by otown View Post
Never thought I'd say this but after listening to 590 and 1050 when I was in Toronto, 1200 is the "ECHL" of sports radio (with the exception of 1200's power hour and the odd guest who can provide relevant insight on a sports topic).
The morning show has basically become a show about nothing, with meaningless diatribes,stale jokes and way too many "let's get a look at those double D's"!
Meaningful sports content has taken a back seat to the ramblings of three guys who have seen better days.
Ottawa sports fans deserve better.
I would not go as far as saying the team 1200 is the echl of sports radio its needs to be upgraded there is no question and really it would not take much to make it better.

Old
11-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner

vCash: 1709
I think the station has gotten a lot better. Kulka and Eastwood were big problems and they got rid of them. The round table is great. TGOR is actually better. They still have the stupid talk but it is manageable now. Jungle is better and I actually like to hear his point of view when they talk about serious and not so serious issue's. Whether I agree with him or not it makes the morning show somewhat civilized. They still do a lot of stupid stuff but it is still different than before. I tend to listen between 8-9 and its improved. Can't say much about before 8.am.

J.R. reads these boards and he knows where he got those great idea's from.

Old
11-20-2011, 07:32 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
I think the station has gotten a lot better. Kulka and Eastwood were big problems and they got rid of them. The round table is great. TGOR is actually better. They still have the stupid talk but it is manageable now. Jungle is better and I actually like to hear his point of view when they talk about serious and not so serious issue's. Whether I agree with him or not it makes the morning show somewhat civilized. They still do a lot of stupid stuff but it is still different than before. I tend to listen between 8-9 and its improved. Can't say much about before 8.am.

J.R. reads these boards and he knows where he got those great idea's from.

That's like saying a mild flu is better than a bad one. At the end of the day, you still have a flu and feel like 5hit.

I've even given it a chance over the past few months, I'll try and tune in in the car after dropping the kids off at school, and it is just unbearable. TGOR... that show is just not repairable. Getting rid of Jim Jerome would be a step in the right direction, but the show's format is still just a bunch of guys reading emails and talking about sports in the most disengaging, uninformative way possible.

I don't mind Jim Rome, he has good guests and knows which questions to ask. The show gets stale when he just repeats something for 45 minutes.

... basically, everything between 12-8 PM (on non-game-nights) is listenable. Everything else is a steaming pile of horse manure, including anything out of the 'States that isn't Dan Patrick or Sunday NFL coverage.

Although I have to say, when not listening to Team1200, I'm usually listening to CBC Radio 1 (or 2)... so maybe I'm not exactly the demographic they they're aiming for.

Old
11-20-2011, 07:51 PM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
I would far rather listen to Kulka than Jim Jerome.

One thing I like about the 930 AM-12 noon show is that they cover local and university sports. I actually think they did a better job of that while Kulka was here though and also did more CFL. Now they never mention the CFL and ramble on a bit too much about their favourite NFL teams,gets repititive.

I do like their coverage of Junior Hockey.

Jim Rome is the only one of the Amercan programs I can stand to listen to. I wish they had some after 6PM shows with local content. They tried Liam McGuire and AJ in the last couple of years but seem to have dropped the idea except for the night they do corner kicks and the sports law show.

Old
11-21-2011, 11:53 AM
CapitalCityGoofball

Other than the occasional pre-game show, I've stopped listening to the station altogether. TGOR is, quite simply, garbage. I will never, ever listen to it again.

I found it quite funny to read the above posts...to see that they are continuing the same lame stuff they were doing 5 years ago. (sleepy jeff, manstretch, turkey-skin luggage)

I also really liked this lol:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post

Old
11-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

They could save money by dropping off the excess baggage from that show. Take your pick

TGOR = Three Guys On the Radio = Very Bad
TGOR = Two Guys On the Radio = Bad
TGOR = The Guy On the Radio = Better
TGOR = They're Gone Off the Radio = Best

Last edited by Tundraman: 11-21-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old
11-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Upgrayedd
Earn'em and Burn'em

Forgot to mention the worst part of Team 1200's morning show (Besides tony greco) and got a nice little reminder this morning.....raoul.....yes that's right, an aggresive, overly sexual, extremely flambyount homosexual leaf fan caller which the hosts seem to love and in which they give him a forum to discuss all things relevant to him outside of sports, ahhh what a treat!

Old
11-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Chezzz

This has to be my favorite thread. The Team 1200 has been dying a slow death for years. And no one who runs the station seems very eager to do anything about it. CMON JR WAKE UP!!! JR you used to be quite good, now you have become one of the most un-listenable voices on morning radio. 'WELCOME BACK, WELCOME TO IT!!" Cmon JR, you should know that these Ron Burgandy lines actually aren't very ground-breaking anymore.

Other than any Sens coverage, there are three main daily shows: TGOR, Amateur Hour with Versage, Healthy Scratches. Then there are the "AJ Shows".

There is absolutely no prep work done for any of these shows. They show up, read things from internet, read out of the Sun, and discuss. Its horrible.

My favorite is when they bring on Mike Sutherland as their "Football Insider" WHAT?? Dude can barely read the 20/20 updates. Another hilarious (but very good) segment is the NHL Power Hour. All Lloyd and Yorkie do is talk hockey, so why not have the "NHL Power 3-Hours"?

I also love how all of their shows replay a 20 minute interview from earlier in the show just to end it off. Or when TGOR plays an interview from yesterday's Healthy Scratches. Very bush league radio station.

And who the heck is this Eric Macromella guy and why isn't he "being a lawyer" instead of a radio host. He is VERY painful to listen to.

Then there is Mini-Garrioch.....AJ. I won't even start on him.

Thankfully they rid us of Kulka, but he may be better than half the guys currently employed on the station.

CMON TSN BUY THIS STATION AND FIX IT......FAST!!

Old
11-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Spire2000

Wow, what a bunch of sourpusses. Granted, I'm not the biggest fan of a lot of what makes it on the air on Team 1200, but the anger here at what amounts to a passive diversion makes me chuckle. If you seriously want change, what would you do to fix it? *****ing about a problem without offering a solution makes you a curmudgeon.

I don't personally have any issues with TGOR. I don't know how Jim keeps his job with all his absences, but that's between him and his employer. I enjoy the light conversion I hear between 7-8 am on the drive into work each morning, including stuff about their lives. I feel like I know these guys and don't mind hearing about their day or their take on OC Transpo, etc... I'd love to sit down for pints with Steve and JR as they seem like interesting chaps. Just because it is a sports-driven station, I'm pretty sure their CRTC license doesn't state that's all they can talk about.

One thing I completely agree with though is the stupid self-nicknamed regular callers. They bring the show down to amateur-hour level. Just instill a new rule where you ban nicknames, and the problem will solve itself. Allowing nicknames is a self-perpetuating plague where everyone keeps trying to make a name for themselves in the hopes they become the next Angry Al.

Sportscall I don't listen to, to be honest. I'm at work and couldn't even if I wanted to.

Jim Rome has never been my cup of tea. I simply don't care about most of the stuff he talks about and his mannerisms grate on me. To me, this is the perfect spot for a nationally syndicated TSN Radio program out of, God forbid, Toronto.

I enjoy the Healthy Scratches. Again, the first half hour is a little light, but they are just killing time until folks get in their cars. The NHL Power Hour is terrific.

Sens pre-game and post-game shows are fine. I'd drop Garrioch though as his voice is just not suited for radio. It's just to whinny and he seems to have a problem getting his thoughts to come out of his mouth without stammering and stopping and starting. The return of Dave Gross is great and I think Todd White has done a fine job. Mike Eastwood's departure was welcome.

Overnight and weekends, I just don't know what to do there. The easy thing is simply feed in ESPN or Fox Sports, but why not try to make an "appointment" show of some sort? Produce something people locally may not get anywhere else and might make a point of tuning in to. Consider moving away from the all-sports format for periods of time on weekends. Understand your demographic and produce shows on say, Video Games, Comics, Genre Film and TV, MMA/Pro-Wrestling, etc... I doubt the weekend ratings would go anywhere but up.

Just my thoughts, while trying to stay constructive.

Old
11-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
Forgot to mention the worst part of Team 1200's morning show (Besides tony greco) and got a nice little reminder this morning.....raoul.....yes that's right, an aggresive, overly sexual, extremely flambyount homosexual leaf fan caller which the hosts seem to love and in which they give him a forum to discuss all things relevant to him outside of sports, ahhh what a treat!
A friend of a friend knows "Raoul"...it's an act. The guy is not at all like that.

Old
11-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Senasnore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes Pancakes View Post
A friend of a friend knows "Raoul"...it's an act. The guy is not at all like that.
really? Santa will have to revise his list.....

Old
11-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes Pancakes View Post
I like Raoul he's witty, quick with the quip and funny as hell. And no... I don't know him.

The Welty Crotches is usually a good listen. I don't mind some of the folksy frivolity on that show and they have good interviews + the power hour. I rarely miss major portions of the pre and post game shows although I'm usually doing something else at the same time.

My least favorite (much worse than TGOR who at least have humor) is Sports-Crawl with Leave-her-sage and Melon's-son. Those guys just drone with no rhythm in their voices. I wouldn't drive during that show or risk falling asleep at the wheel. The 11:00 can be good if they have Sens updates from the rink but if it's something else then ...click. Donovan (Chum) has filled in on various shows on the station and I wouldn't mind having him replace either one of these guys full time.

Old
02-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Spex

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but looks like the "Showkiller" Phil Melanson has been let go by TEAM 1200/Bell Media

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/enterta...948/story.html

Quote:
Sources tell The Citizen that the layoff list includes CFRA talk show host Michael Harris, CFRA reporter Gord McDougall and Phil Melanson of the Team 1200 sports radio.
Can't say I was a fan of his, but man…he was on the air a couple of hours ago. Must be a shock to sign off then get fired.

Old
02-09-2012, 04:01 PM
impronto

i noticed they took off melanson off the host page on the team's website. I also noticed that jim jerome was also not on the host page, compared to the cached page where he was. wonder if hes gone too

Old
02-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Yokai

vCash: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by impronto View Post
i noticed they took off melanson off the host page on the team's website. I also noticed that jim jerome was also not on the host page, compared to the cached page where he was. wonder if hes gone too
I hope so, no offense I'm sure he's a nice guy but he really didn't add much to TGOR. I got into listening to most of the shows on the Team for the start of this season, but I found Jim getting more and more annoying every day.

Closed Thread