HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Learning more about Russian Hockey

Old
11-18-2011, 02:15 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 500
Learning more about Russian Hockey

As a guy with a decent base on hockey history and the willingness to learn more and more , I have to ask for some help regarding russian hockey and especially comparing Russian players of every era and russian leagues to NHL players ( when the russians didn't play in the NHL ).I have some knowledge on it but would rather start from scratch and learn which league from which era was considered great/good/bad and comparable to NHL/northamerican minor leagues players.

Any advice or info would be appreciated.

( not exclusively for russians , any europeen leagues also )

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 07:10 AM
Canadiens1958

Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
As a guy with a decent base on hockey history and the willingness to learn more and more , I have to ask for some help regarding russian hockey and especially comparing Russian players of every era and russian leagues to NHL players ( when the russians didn't play in the NHL ).I have some knowledge on it but would rather start from scratch and learn which league from which era was considered great/good/bad and comparable to NHL/northamerican minor leagues players.

Any advice or info would be appreciated.

( not exclusively for russians , any europeen leagues also )
Start with:

http://www.chidlovski.com/

Search leagues at: www.hockeydb.com

IIHF:

www.iihf.com

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:09 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Found this book, Russian Hockey Secrets (Road to Olympus) by Anatoli Tarasov. Goes deep into Soviet strategy in the 1960s and critiques western methods of training.

http://www.hockeybookreviews.com/201...y-secrets.html

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Zine

Championat has been doing a neat overview of each season. If you don't know Russian, google translator will help or whatever. Links to each year are self explanatory.

http://www.championat.com/hockey/art...2010-2011.html

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Triffy

I've learned a ton by simply going through statistics from both Soviet domestic league and international tournaments. Compare the players in different categories. Who had the most success in Soviet league of the Kharlamov-Petrov-Mikhailov line? Who had the least? How about internationally? How did players from the other countries, mainly the well-known Czechoslovak players, compare to the Soviets?

You are probably already familiar with the well-known names. It's a good starting point. You can build on that. You can't appreciate the second-tier players before you have a clue of how well the best ones fared. You need some perspective to be able to evaluate how significant it is to have placed, say, three times in top 5 in scoring in the Soviet league. I think knowledge of that kind is very useful in things like AAA Draft. Once you know the best players and have an idea of what kind of achievements the have, you can start researching less known players and learn to appreciate their careers as well.

Triffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Zine

Also, don't put too much emphasis on awards won; the league gave out no awards. Individual awards were given out by various medias which inevitably turned into a popularity contest.
It's the reason why we see awards given to players who may have not statistically dominated like one would expect.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:08 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Also have heard of a book called Red Machine by Lawrence Martin which I've heard is very good. Haven't read it, and it's a bit difficult to find. And expensive:

http://www.amazon.ca/Red-Machine-Law.../dp/0385252722

Cheapest used copy is $86..

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote