HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Evaluation of Hitchcock

Old
11-18-2011, 12:41 AM
mmitchell19

vCash: 500
4-0-1

Outscoring opponents 14-4; outshooting opponents 155-113 (~31-23 per game).

Gotta love it as a fan.

Is this mostly the "Hitch effect"? Or do the players deserve the lion's share of the credit for finally putting forth their full effort? I can't tell whether Hitch is influencing the players, or if the players are still playing guilty because they cost Payne his job.

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

Quick Question,

When David Payne was fired, was it a shocking news? Or was it something that had been talked about or rumoured by the team? Just wondering. Here at Canuckland we want to see Vigneault gone...

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:13 PM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
Quick Question,

When David Payne was fired, was it a shocking news? Or was it something that had been talked about or rumoured by the team? Just wondering. Here at Canuckland we want to see Vigneault gone...
It was kinda known that he was on the hot seat after the dissapointing year last year and a slow start this year but the firing was totally out of the blue, pretty sure nobody saw it coming.

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:49 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
I was pretty shocked. I think in the Blues' case, it had more to do with Hitchcock being the right guy, than Payne needing to be gone. I think Armstrong just realized that a change was inevitable, and decided to get it over with.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 03:30 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell19 View Post
Is this mostly the "Hitch effect"? Or do the players deserve the lion's share of the credit for finally putting forth their full effort? I can't tell whether Hitch is influencing the players, or if the players are still playing guilty because they cost Payne his job.
Well, I don't think there's any question that the Blues are playing looser as individuals and tighter as a team since Hitchcock took over. I think he definitely deserves some credit for that. Even if we eliminate the Xs and Os from the discussion completely, he has the team focused on playing high-effort hockey in all three zones and they've put together the most consistent 15 consecutive periods of hockey that I can ever remember having seen from this team.

It will take a special group of players to sustain that level of play for the rest of the season (or even the large majority of it), but I don't think it's very reasonable to write off the team's performance these last five games as an independent event that has nothing to do with who has been coaching them.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:39 AM
oPlaiD

Quote:
Quick Question,

It was completely shocking. While some fans may have been calling for Payne to be replaced, there were absolutely no rumors in the media or from any kind of source, reliable or otherwise.

It was completely out of the blue and very surprising, considering the Blues' record wasn't even poor and we had played most of our games on the road. It was right before a long homestand, so even the people who thought Payne should be done in still believed he'd at least have through that home stand to turn things around. Apparently not.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 07:29 AM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Quick Question,

If you are considering Payne as the coach of Vancouver, then I would say looking at Payne makes sense. He is a great guy to have, he is a player's coach and is a very solid tactician. Hell the Blues are employing the same system, just with some Hitchock tweaks and motivation. Payne really was too ripe to coach a very young team, but VAN has the experience to stay motivated and trust in Payne. I think it could be a good hire.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:32 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
I think the notion of Payne as a players' coach may be a bit over done. I'm not quite sure how you quantify that.

I think he is a good communicator, and that he listens to his players. But as he matures in the profession, I was seeing less of the 'nice guy' and more of the serious guy who could be a hard-ass when he needs to be. I suspect in a few more years people won't think of Payne as a players' coach, depending on what setting he's coaching.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:56 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Quick Question,

I think Payne suffers more from being from the old regime than he does from being a bad coach. Seriously, last season he had them playing great hockey to start and end the season when the teams was somewhat healthy. It wasn't his fault he couldn't get blood from a stone because management didn't prepare for injuries last season and couldn't sign a soul to join the team without that player getting snagged on waivers.

Davis got the team off to a slow (not terrible) start this season, Hitch was a Armstrong man and that was it. No one in the Blues organization will cop to it but I truly think the move was done because they wanted Hitch (just in case) and were concerned that another team was going to scoop him up.

To his credit, I won't argue that Payne is a better coach than Hitch because I don't think that is necessarily true. I think Payne would be better served serving as an assistant coach in the NHL before taking on the reigns of a head coach.

imo, Davis was given the HC job in St. Louis for monetary reasons. They fired AM, they still had to pay AM a crapload of money and they could bring Davis up on the cheap.

I questioned the hiring of Hitch when it happened but he has said and done the right things with the team and we'll see by the end of this season if it was the right move or not. The Hitch of old probably would have been the wrong fit but by the sounds of him in interviews, I think he has a better appreciation for the game and specifically the athlete's he is dealing with and has found a better way to have them drink the kool-aid.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 05:14 AM
HooliganX2

Honestly after watching the last couple Hitchcock games there is not a noticeable difference IMO from the Payne coached team. In general we controlled games and outshout the other team when Payne was the coach. It seems like Halak has played better under Hitchcock then Payne though this year.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Deko

So does someone have anything to say? Three and a half months now with boring trap and the results are still quite awesome.

Deko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Thallis
We suck again!

vCash: 499
Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
I wasn't sure at first, but he's making me a believer. Hard to argue with the results so far, lets see if this level of play is kept up.
Lo and behold, it has held up. 6th in man games lost to injury, 4th in the conference, tied for 3rd in the NHL. This season is the start of something special here in St. Louis and it makes me incredibly happy to say that.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

If he gets the special teams situation fixed I'll go so far as to say he's the best coach they've had since Scotty.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:07 PM
BrokenFace

As of this point in the season I give Hitch a C+. He's ruining Stewart and probably is the one who gave Halak the flu. Just imagine how good the Blues would be if we had a REAL coach like Andy Murray behind the bench!?

BrokenFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:10 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenFace View Post
As of this point in the season I give Hitch a C+. He's ruining Stewart and probably is the one who gave Halak the flu. Just imagine how good the Blues would be if we had a REAL coach like Andy Murray behind the bench!?
I'm gonna assume you are either being sarcastic or just trolling.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:16 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenFace View Post
It's because Stewart is black ya know...Hitch is a racist and a nazi. I've heard he especially hates Russian players. So much so that he decided to ruin Nikita Filatov's career.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:19 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
It's because Stewart is black ya know...Hitch is a racist and a nazi. I've heard he especially hates Russian players. So much so that he decided to ruin Nikita Filatov's career.
He also tried to banish Nikitin to the black hole that is Columbus, but that planned backfired on him.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:13 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I was pretty shocked. I think in the Blues' case, it had more to do with Hitchcock being the right guy, than Payne needing to be gone. I think Armstrong just realized that a change was inevitable, and decided to get it over with.
You betchum, Red Ryder! Armstrong knew Hitchcock was the man to lead the Blues and didn't want to lose out on an opportunity to nab him. Nothing personal against Payne (but he was a low-budget option who probably should have been an assistant in The NHL first (or head coach in The AHL for 4-5 years first).

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote