HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dustin Penner out with hand injury

Old
11-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I can usually keep up with the silly around here but you've got me with this one. Who or what are you referring too?

Allison/Deadmarsh are very likely to be ready for Christmas this year. They made some great money playing hockey and both seem to be doing pretty well as civilians.
Oh I was only kidding concerning Penner and made reference to Full Metal Jacket with him being "too boo-koo." Plus with the recent rash of injuries on the Kings, I'm reminiscing of Dr. Leiweke's diagnosis of the Allison/Deadmarsh injuries and him guessing that they'll be back by Christmas, then by January, then they said screw it they'll be ready when they're ready.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Alternate Jersey

just want to make it clear that I am NOT happy that Penner is hurt, and I did NOT cheer at hearing he was scratched. I too feel sorry for the guy and can't imagine the level of frustration he's experiencing.

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:42 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Oh I was only kidding concerning Penner and made reference to Full Metal Jacket with him being "too boo-koo." Plus with the recent rash of injuries on the Kings, I'm reminiscing of Dr. Leiweke's diagnosis of the Allison/Deadmarsh injuries and him guessing that they'll be back by Christmas, then by January, then they said screw it they'll be ready when they're ready.
Ahhhhhhhhhh

Being away as much as I am lately leaves me forgetting.

I remember now.....

On Penner we have a lockermate to thank for the news.....

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Always interesting seeing Deadmarsh behind a bench

His wife seems to cook well

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Selanne just recently blogged that Penner didn't have the best work ethic and Carlyle often referred to him as "F--king Penner."

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Selanne just recently blogged that Penner didn't have the best work ethic and Carlyle often referred to him as "F--king Penner."
I remember a time when we had a kid fresh out of college who was more commonly referred to with the MF'ing before his name than in between his first and last.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 08:50 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
This is one thing that I do like about TM, and that's that he demands, effort. Carlyle although displeased with Penner back then continued to give him a pass, whereas with TM, he expects effort. Frolov was a fan favorite and TM showed no mercy with his lack of effort and practically drove him out of here.

Now, having said that, TM does play some favoritism which I don't agree with, but I like the fact that TM demands the best out of everyone.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 01:45 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I said it a month ago...trade him.
I said don't get him to begin with.

It doesn't matter what was said. We're stuck with him. No one will give us anything for him unless he starts doing something, and if he does it makes more sense to keep him.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 01:58 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
This is one thing that I do like about TM, and that's that he demands, effort. Carlyle although displeased with Penner back then continued to give him a pass, whereas with TM, he expects effort. Frolov was a fan favorite and TM showed no mercy with his lack of effort and practically drove him out of here.

Now, having said that, TM does play some favoritism which I don't agree with, but I like the fact that TM demands the best out of everyone.
While I agree with what you are saying, which one of those coaches has a cup ring and got a solid season out of Penner?

Penner has a cup ring and the current contract he's playing on from one of those coaches, and it wasn't TM.

Old
11-15-2011, 02:10 AM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo
I'm trying to stay positive about pens. He tried in the off season to get in shape. I want to believe he's leaving it all on the ice. It's just unfortunate he can't get it going in LA. He looks like such a beast on the ice. Often the biggest player out there, but the power game isn't his style. Well the season is still young, though I cringe at what we gave up for him.

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 02:44 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
While I agree with what you are saying, which one of those coaches has a cup ring and got a solid season out of Penner?

Penner has a cup ring and the current contract he's playing on from one of those coaches, and it wasn't TM.
That's an interesting point but I think much of Penner's success with the dux had more to do with line chemistry than coaching. Pens, Getz and Perry all played together down in the minors and then were reunited in the nhl.

Old
11-15-2011, 02:52 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Maybe Staal just sucks?
Have you seen any 'canes games this year? Staal HAS sucked. Dude has one more goal than Ponikarovsky and is minus 17. Next closest on the team is Pitkanen at minus 10.

Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 03:06 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
It's too bad that Penner sucks. I have been waiting to post" The Penner is mightier that the sword. " When he scores. I have been waiting since April.

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 10:47 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
That's an interesting point but I think much of Penner's success with the dux had more to do with line chemistry than coaching. Pens, Getz and Perry all played together down in the minors and then were reunited in the nhl.
It could have to do with line chemistry, but overall I don't agree. I don't think the difference in chemsitry between Penner-Getzlaf-Perry and Penner-Richards-Brown is this dramatic. Also, keep in mind Perry and Getzlaf played a combined 33 AHL regular season games, so I doubt the chemistry was built up to any great extent in the minors before they reached the NHL.

Carlyle and Renney were able to get more out of Penner I think becaue of style. During Penner's worst season in Edmonton, who was the coach? Craig MacTavish, a hard-nosed in-your face type. The next year Penner's goal total almost doubled under Pat Quinn, a players coach, with Penner easily posting career highs and leading the team in scoring.

I'm not saying TM is wrong in his approach, but I don't think it works on a guy like Penner. Like it or not, he's that type that needs to be coddled along, and TM is anything but a coddler.

Old
11-17-2011, 05:19 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Can someone please explain to me how Penner has no trade value or negative trade value?

I'm reading on here and I'm reading on the main board and I'm really curious as to how those of you came to that conclusion. In Penner, you're talking about a guy who's averaged 20+ goals the last 6 yrs prior to becoming a king. And just because he's struggled under TM, all of a sudden, he has no value? Wouldn't he have more value playing for someone other than TM?

Take out the "hate" and the raw emotions and explain to me with facts and logic as to how a 6'4 240 stanley cup winning LW who scores 20+ goals would have no value? And the fact that he's got an expiring contract could be a positive to a team who just want to add a big forward that can score for the playoffs.

Let's not be blinded by so much hate that you can't see the facts here.

Old
11-17-2011, 08:18 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

I can give you about 4,250,000 reasons...

Penner has never been known to have a dedicated work ethic AND he seems to always have a string of injuries that usually not devastating, but enough to keep him out of the lineup.

He's scored 2 goals and 6 assists in 33 regular season games with the Kings. That interpolates to 5 goals for a full season - that's not much production for $52K per game.

If you are a GM trading for Penner, you're hoping you get the early Penner but you better pay as though you're expecting the current Penner - or chances are you won't be an employed GM for very long.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

I agree with RH that somebody will be interested in him at some point this season.

Hopefully sooner than later.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 02:08 PM
ShattStar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Always interesting seeing Deadmarsh behind a bench

His wife seems to cook well
That or there are some good donut shops in Denver!

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 02:26 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
I agree with RH that somebody will be interested in him at some point this season.

Hopefully sooner than later.
I have no doubt that someone will be interested in Penner at some point this season - the bigger question is at what price.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 03:11 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
I have no doubt that someone will be interested in Penner at some point this season - the bigger question is at what price.
And that is all I'm saying...Penner still has value. Nowhere close to what we've paid for him but the guy still has an impressive resume and there will be interest in Penner regardless of how much he struggles to produce here.