HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Discussion including Fantasy Talk, #11

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-18-2011, 01:37 PM
  #951
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,156
vCash: 500
Craig Smith.
We should trade for him.
He is hilarious.

Krishna is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 01:46 PM
  #952
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I would like to hear from Don Cherry about how amazing of a coach Joe Sacco is.


Everyone in the free world knew that was a bad hire.
Just like everyone in the Eastern Conference facepalmed when they gave Washington a free shot at Nail Yakupov.

CS is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 02:17 PM
  #953
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Where is somewhere you would not want to live in America or Canada then? You're told to go and work there.
Not that simple. First off, not like Columbus is some hell on earth here. Secondly, he's paying paid millions of dollars to play a game he loves and going to any one of 30 cities is part of the job description. Thirdly, if he didn't want to be traded then he should of signed an NTC or NMC.

So....what's the problem again? Why should I feel sorry for multimillionaire professional athlete Jeff Carter? Because he lives in Columbus? Oh woe is me.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 02:23 PM
  #954
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Not that simple. First off, not like Columbus is some hell on earth here. Secondly, he's paying paid millions of dollars to play a game he loves and going to any one of 30 cities is part of the job description. Thirdly, if he didn't want to be traded then he should of signed an NTC or NMC.

So....what's the problem again? Why should I feel sorry for multimillionaire professional athlete Jeff Carter? Because he lives in Columbus? Oh woe is me.
He did sign a NTC. Homer shipped him out right before it kicked in.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 02:39 PM
  #955
decadentia
Registered User
 
decadentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Not that simple. First off, not like Columbus is some hell on earth here. Secondly, he's paying paid millions of dollars to play a game he loves and going to any one of 30 cities is part of the job description. Thirdly, if he didn't want to be traded then he should of signed an NTC or NMC.

So....what's the problem again? Why should I feel sorry for multimillionaire professional athlete Jeff Carter? Because he lives in Columbus? Oh woe is me.
Because he had a choice where he wanted to play, he committed to the team and took less money, was given word that he'd be in Philly fo 11 years...It's not that hard of a concept really.

Here's a horrible analogy: You buy a Big Mac with fries at McDicks, you leave and realize they gave you a ****** assed McDouble, you're pissed that what you bought/signed up for wasn't what you were told. Justifiable? Sure...unless you're some angry little man on the internet who can't afford either and thinks you should be happy for whatever you were given.

decadentia is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:04 PM
  #956
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Because he had a choice where he wanted to play, he committed to the team and took less money, was given word that he'd be in Philly fo 11 years...It's not that hard of a concept really.

Here's a horrible analogy: You buy a Big Mac with fries at McDicks, you leave and realize they gave you a ****** assed McDouble, you're pissed that what you bought/signed up for wasn't what you were told. Justifiable? Sure...unless you're some angry little man on the internet who can't afford either and thinks you should be happy for whatever you were given.
He plays a game for living.

I don't envy him. Suck it up. We got men and women overseas fighting for their lives in the mentality to protect us and they get paid crap compared to men who play games for a living.

Alchemy is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:12 PM
  #957
decadentia
Registered User
 
decadentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
He plays a game for living.

I don't envy him. Suck it up. We got men and women overseas fighting for their lives in the mentality to protect us and they get paid crap compared to men who play games for a living.
Which is precisely the point of what I wrote, everyone has different living expectations.

Shall we start talking about poor Africans that don't have food as well?

Making lots of money doesn't mean being deceived is any less deceitful. You can be rich and still be dicked around.

decadentia is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:13 PM
  #958
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He did sign a NTC. Homer shipped him out right before it kicked in.
Then he should have had it kick in earlier if possible. Or at least have Holmgren's word that he wouldn't be traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Because he had a choice where he wanted to play, he committed to the team and took less money, was given word that he'd be in Philly fo 11 years...It's not that hard of a concept really.

Here's a horrible analogy: You buy a Big Mac with fries at McDicks, you leave and realize they gave you a ****** assed McDouble, you're pissed that what you bought/signed up for wasn't what you were told. Justifiable? Sure...unless you're some angry little man on the internet who can't afford either and thinks you should be happy for whatever you were given.
I understand the logic of the other side of things, but it doesn't make sense. And that is a horrible analogy.

It's simple. He's a multimillionaire who plays a game for a living, a game where part of the job description is that you're subject to being traded and living in one of 30 NHL cities. So not only does he make millions of dollars playing a game, but what happened to him is liable to happen to anyone in his profession.

Seriously, you all feel sad for the poor multimillionaire athlete because he has to live in Columbus instead of Philly? Really?

How many of you would take a dream job that pays millions of dollars and the only thing you have to do to get that job is to move to Columbus from Philly. Would any of you say no? That's exactly what I thought.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:15 PM
  #959
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Then he should have had it kick in earlier if possible. Or at least have Holmgren's word that he wouldn't be traded.
I believe that this season was the earliest it possibly could have kicked in, and he did in fact have a verbal agreement with Holmgren that he wouldn't be traded before the new contract started. Carter's agent publicly stated that the Flyers broke their word.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:16 PM
  #960
decadentia
Registered User
 
decadentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I believe that this season was the earliest it possibly could have kicked in, and he did in fact have a verbal agreement with Holmgren that he wouldn't be traded before the new contract started. Carter's agent publicly stated that the Flyers broke their word.
Beef, none of that matters, he makes lots of money. End of discussion.

...am I doing this right?

decadentia is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:19 PM
  #961
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,156
vCash: 500
http://www.thepostgame.com/features/...film-better-mo

This had to be posted

Bobby Ryan had mixed feelings about "Breaking Dawn" as a book. "It stayed true to the characters," he says.

Krishna is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:22 PM
  #962
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnz0rs View Post
http://www.thepostgame.com/features/...film-better-mo

This had to be posted

Bobby Ryan had mixed feelings about "Breaking Dawn" as a book. "It stayed true to the characters," he says.
Ugh... . No man should never admit they ever saw it or read it... If you did, well, punch yourself, repeatedly.

Also, anyone else notice the surge in Philly trade proposals? Anyone going WTF with some of the players chosen? Why the hell is Voracek part of them?

SolidSnakeUS is online now  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:25 PM
  #963
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I believe that this season was the earliest it possibly could have kicked in, and he did in fact have a verbal agreement with Holmgren that he wouldn't be traded before the new contract started. Carter's agent publicly stated that the Flyers broke their word.
Never heard that from his agent. Either way I don't feel sorry for him though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Beef, none of that matters, he makes lots of money. End of discussion.

...am I doing this right?
Yeah, go ahead and poke fun of me instead of, you know, actually trying to debate. That makes you seem smart.

Also, go ahead and feels sorry for the multimillionaire athlete just because he has to live in Columbus. That's reasonable.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:26 PM
  #964
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,992
vCash: 500
Actually, he gave up millions with that hometown discount he took to stay in Philly, after being assured that he would indeed be staying. If he knew he was going to be traded to a terrible team he never would have signed the contract he did.

So yeah, I feel bad for him. He lost a good amount of money, AND he has to play on a crappy team now. No professional athlete would enjoy that.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:27 PM
  #965
decadentia
Registered User
 
decadentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Yeah, go ahead and poke fun of me instead of, you know, actually trying to debate. That makes you seem smart.

Also, go ahead and feels sorry for the multimillionaire athlete just because he has to live in Columbus. That's reasonable.
I'm not poking fun of you, i'm kidding around.

It is reasonable to feel he got dicked around, because...well he did. That being said, i'm not exactly weeping over it.

decadentia is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:28 PM
  #966
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Which is precisely the point of what I wrote, everyone has different living expectations.

Shall we start talking about poor Africans that don't have food as well?

Making lots of money doesn't mean being deceived is any less deceitful. You can be rich and still be dicked around.
The point is there are people that are in worse situations then Jeff Carter. Jeff Carter will be fine. He still has the ability to take care of himself and his family for many years. Most of us don't have that. I wish i got traded to Columbus with my 11 year multimillion dollar contract. Sure he got played. He thought he was safe but its the nature of the business and he needs to get over it quick.

Alchemy is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:32 PM
  #967
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Actually, he gave up millions with that hometown discount he took to stay in Philly, after being assured that he would indeed be staying. If he knew he was going to be traded to a terrible team he never would have signed the contract he did.

So yeah, I feel bad for him. He lost a good amount of money, AND he has to play on a crappy team now. No professional athlete would enjoy that.
Like the other guy said, Jeff Carter and his family are set for life financially. I just generally don't feel bad for people that are set for life. He got dicked around, sure, but to feel sorry over him? Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
I'm not poking fun of you, i'm kidding around.

It is reasonable to feel he got dicked around, because...well he did. That being said, i'm not exactly weeping over it.

Why didn't you just say that earlier? It's undeniable that he got dicked around, but I don't see why it makes sense to feel sorry for the guy.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:34 PM
  #968
decadentia
Registered User
 
decadentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post

Why didn't you just say that earlier? It's undeniable that he got dicked around, but I don't see why it makes sense to feel sorry for the guy.
I have a big heart.

decadentia is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:37 PM
  #969
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,992
vCash: 500
Losing out on millions after you've been screwed and your career has suddenly taken a turn for the worse is a pretty ****** experience, no matter how much money you make.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:40 PM
  #970
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Losing out on millions after you've been screwed and your career has suddenly taken a turn for the worse is a pretty ****** experience, no matter how much money you make.
I'm sure but if he had a mentality on knowing how to make money he would invest it. Start a business. He has the money and resources to do more.

The NHL isn't for life.

Jeff Carter will be alright.

Alchemy is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:40 PM
  #971
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal
Like the other guy said, Jeff Carter and his family are set for life financially. I just generally don't feel bad for people that are set for life. He got dicked around, sure, but to feel sorry over him? Why?



Quote of (decadentia): (click to expand/collapse)
Originally Posted by decadentia
I'm not poking fun of you, i'm kidding around.

It is reasonable to feel he got dicked around, because...well he did. That being said, i'm not exactly weeping over it.


Why didn't you just say that earlier? It's undeniable that he got dicked around, but I don't see why it makes sense to feel sorry for the guy.
So it doesnt make sense to feel bad for someone who had something bad happen to them just because they make a lot of money? Really?

For me its less about feeling bad for Carter and more of feeling bad that the team I support treated someone who did them a favor like that

BringBackStevens is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:43 PM
  #972
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
I'm sure but if he had a mentality on knowing how to make money he would invest it. Start a business. He has the money and resources to do more.

The NHL isn't for life.

Jeff Carter will be alright.
So if you lost out on a few million bucks, you wouldn't be pissed off at all?

If Carter does want to start a business or invest, he has less money to do so than he would if he hadn't taken a discount to stay on the team.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:45 PM
  #973
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
So if you lost out on a few million bucks, you wouldn't be pissed off at all?
I'd be pissed but would i be mad for the next 11 years or would i use my mind start setting myself up for more?

I think im setting myself up for more.

Life isn't fair. Get over it.

Alchemy is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:47 PM
  #974
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
I'd be pissed but would i be mad for the next 11 years or would i use my mind start setting myself up for more?

I think im setting myself up for more.

Life isn't fair. Get over it.
Just because life isn't fair doesn't mean you shouldn't be pissed when other people screw you over. If someone shafts you, will you just say "well, that's life!"

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:48 PM
  #975
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
He plays a game for living.

I don't envy him. Suck it up. We got men and women overseas fighting for their lives in the mentality to protect us and they get paid crap compared to men who play games for a living.
No one made them sign up for the military. But it's ok to feel bad for them and not others why exactly?

BringBackStevens is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.