HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Discussion including Fantasy Talk, #11

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Krishna

vCash: 500
Craig Smith.
We should trade for him.
He is hilarious.

Old
11-18-2011, 01:46 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I would like to hear from Don Cherry about how amazing of a coach Joe Sacco is.

Everyone in the free world knew that was a bad hire.
Just like everyone in the Eastern Conference facepalmed when they gave Washington a free shot at Nail Yakupov.

Old
11-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Where is somewhere you would not want to live in America or Canada then? You're told to go and work there.
Not that simple. First off, not like Columbus is some hell on earth here. Secondly, he's paying paid millions of dollars to play a game he loves and going to any one of 30 cities is part of the job description. Thirdly, if he didn't want to be traded then he should of signed an NTC or NMC.

So....what's the problem again? Why should I feel sorry for multimillionaire professional athlete Jeff Carter? Because he lives in Columbus? Oh woe is me.

Old
11-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Not that simple. First off, not like Columbus is some hell on earth here. Secondly, he's paying paid millions of dollars to play a game he loves and going to any one of 30 cities is part of the job description. Thirdly, if he didn't want to be traded then he should of signed an NTC or NMC.

So....what's the problem again? Why should I feel sorry for multimillionaire professional athlete Jeff Carter? Because he lives in Columbus? Oh woe is me.
He did sign a NTC. Homer shipped him out right before it kicked in.

11-18-2011, 02:39 PM
decadentia

Quote:

Because he had a choice where he wanted to play, he committed to the team and took less money, was given word that he'd be in Philly fo 11 years...It's not that hard of a concept really.

Here's a horrible analogy: You buy a Big Mac with fries at McDicks, you leave and realize they gave you a ****** assed McDouble, you're pissed that what you bought/signed up for wasn't what you were told. Justifiable? Sure...unless you're some angry little man on the internet who can't afford either and thinks you should be happy for whatever you were given.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Because he had a choice where he wanted to play, he committed to the team and took less money, was given word that he'd be in Philly fo 11 years...It's not that hard of a concept really.

Here's a horrible analogy: You buy a Big Mac with fries at McDicks, you leave and realize they gave you a ****** assed McDouble, you're pissed that what you bought/signed up for wasn't what you were told. Justifiable? Sure...unless you're some angry little man on the internet who can't afford either and thinks you should be happy for whatever you were given.
He plays a game for living.

I don't envy him. Suck it up. We got men and women overseas fighting for their lives in the mentality to protect us and they get paid crap compared to men who play games for a living.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:12 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post

I don't envy him. Suck it up. We got men and women overseas fighting for their lives in the mentality to protect us and they get paid crap compared to men who play games for a living.
Which is precisely the point of what I wrote, everyone has different living expectations.

Shall we start talking about poor Africans that don't have food as well?

Making lots of money doesn't mean being deceived is any less deceitful. You can be rich and still be dicked around.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He did sign a NTC. Homer shipped him out right before it kicked in.
Then he should have had it kick in earlier if possible. Or at least have Holmgren's word that he wouldn't be traded.

Quote:

I understand the logic of the other side of things, but it doesn't make sense. And that is a horrible analogy.

It's simple. He's a multimillionaire who plays a game for a living, a game where part of the job description is that you're subject to being traded and living in one of 30 NHL cities. So not only does he make millions of dollars playing a game, but what happened to him is liable to happen to anyone in his profession.

Seriously, you all feel sad for the poor multimillionaire athlete because he has to live in Columbus instead of Philly? Really?

How many of you would take a dream job that pays millions of dollars and the only thing you have to do to get that job is to move to Columbus from Philly. Would any of you say no? That's exactly what I thought.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Then he should have had it kick in earlier if possible. Or at least have Holmgren's word that he wouldn't be traded.
I believe that this season was the earliest it possibly could have kicked in, and he did in fact have a verbal agreement with Holmgren that he wouldn't be traded before the new contract started. Carter's agent publicly stated that the Flyers broke their word.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:16 PM
decadentia

Quote:
I believe that this season was the earliest it possibly could have kicked in, and he did in fact have a verbal agreement with Holmgren that he wouldn't be traded before the new contract started. Carter's agent publicly stated that the Flyers broke their word.
Beef, none of that matters, he makes lots of money. End of discussion.

...am I doing this right?

Old
11-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Krishna

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/...film-better-mo

This had to be posted

Bobby Ryan had mixed feelings about "Breaking Dawn" as a book. "It stayed true to the characters," he says.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:22 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnz0rs View Post
http://www.thepostgame.com/features/...film-better-mo

This had to be posted

Bobby Ryan had mixed feelings about "Breaking Dawn" as a book. "It stayed true to the characters," he says.
Ugh... . No man should never admit they ever saw it or read it... If you did, well, punch yourself, repeatedly.

Also, anyone else notice the surge in Philly trade proposals? Anyone going WTF with some of the players chosen? Why the hell is Voracek part of them?

Old
11-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Never heard that from his agent. Either way I don't feel sorry for him though.

Quote:
Beef, none of that matters, he makes lots of money. End of discussion.

...am I doing this right?
Yeah, go ahead and poke fun of me instead of, you know, actually trying to debate. That makes you seem smart.

Also, go ahead and feels sorry for the multimillionaire athlete just because he has to live in Columbus. That's reasonable.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Actually, he gave up millions with that hometown discount he took to stay in Philly, after being assured that he would indeed be staying. If he knew he was going to be traded to a terrible team he never would have signed the contract he did.

So yeah, I feel bad for him. He lost a good amount of money, AND he has to play on a crappy team now. No professional athlete would enjoy that.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:27 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Yeah, go ahead and poke fun of me instead of, you know, actually trying to debate. That makes you seem smart.

Also, go ahead and feels sorry for the multimillionaire athlete just because he has to live in Columbus. That's reasonable.
I'm not poking fun of you, i'm kidding around.

It is reasonable to feel he got dicked around, because...well he did. That being said, i'm not exactly weeping over it.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Which is precisely the point of what I wrote, everyone has different living expectations.

Shall we start talking about poor Africans that don't have food as well?

Making lots of money doesn't mean being deceived is any less deceitful. You can be rich and still be dicked around.
The point is there are people that are in worse situations then Jeff Carter. Jeff Carter will be fine. He still has the ability to take care of himself and his family for many years. Most of us don't have that. I wish i got traded to Columbus with my 11 year multimillion dollar contract. Sure he got played. He thought he was safe but its the nature of the business and he needs to get over it quick.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Actually, he gave up millions with that hometown discount he took to stay in Philly, after being assured that he would indeed be staying. If he knew he was going to be traded to a terrible team he never would have signed the contract he did.

So yeah, I feel bad for him. He lost a good amount of money, AND he has to play on a crappy team now. No professional athlete would enjoy that.
Like the other guy said, Jeff Carter and his family are set for life financially. I just generally don't feel bad for people that are set for life. He got dicked around, sure, but to feel sorry over him? Why?

Quote:

It is reasonable to feel he got dicked around, because...well he did. That being said, i'm not exactly weeping over it.

Why didn't you just say that earlier? It's undeniable that he got dicked around, but I don't see why it makes sense to feel sorry for the guy.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:34 PM
decadentia

Quote:

Why didn't you just say that earlier? It's undeniable that he got dicked around, but I don't see why it makes sense to feel sorry for the guy.
I have a big heart.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Losing out on millions after you've been screwed and your career has suddenly taken a turn for the worse is a pretty ****** experience, no matter how much money you make.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Losing out on millions after you've been screwed and your career has suddenly taken a turn for the worse is a pretty ****** experience, no matter how much money you make.
I'm sure but if he had a mentality on knowing how to make money he would invest it. Start a business. He has the money and resources to do more.

The NHL isn't for life.

Jeff Carter will be alright.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:40 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal
Like the other guy said, Jeff Carter and his family are set for life financially. I just generally don't feel bad for people that are set for life. He got dicked around, sure, but to feel sorry over him? Why?

Quote of (decadentia): (click to expand/collapse)
Originally Posted by decadentia

So it doesnt make sense to feel bad for someone who had something bad happen to them just because they make a lot of money? Really?

For me its less about feeling bad for Carter and more of feeling bad that the team I support treated someone who did them a favor like that

Old
11-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
I'm sure but if he had a mentality on knowing how to make money he would invest it. Start a business. He has the money and resources to do more.

The NHL isn't for life.

Jeff Carter will be alright.
So if you lost out on a few million bucks, you wouldn't be pissed off at all?

If Carter does want to start a business or invest, he has less money to do so than he would if he hadn't taken a discount to stay on the team.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
So if you lost out on a few million bucks, you wouldn't be pissed off at all?
I'd be pissed but would i be mad for the next 11 years or would i use my mind start setting myself up for more?

I think im setting myself up for more.

Life isn't fair. Get over it.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
I'd be pissed but would i be mad for the next 11 years or would i use my mind start setting myself up for more?

I think im setting myself up for more.

Life isn't fair. Get over it.
Just because life isn't fair doesn't mean you shouldn't be pissed when other people screw you over. If someone shafts you, will you just say "well, that's life!"

Old
11-18-2011, 03:48 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:

No one made them sign up for the military. But it's ok to feel bad for them and not others why exactly?

Closed Thread