HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Couturier to Defensemen

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Unstable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Who do you think he is?! Sami Kapanen?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjsIzzy View Post
Haha beat me to it!! I miss the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Sami was such a boss.
Q. F. T.

Old
11-18-2011, 09:53 AM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I really question what Laviolette and company are doing with Couturier. We all know that when Laviolette's "boy", Schenn, comes back into the lineup Couturier's ice time is going to get cut even further. Everyone talks about wanting to limit his ice time over the course of the regular season, but with it being so early in the year, now is the time to give Couturier ice time and then when the second half rolls around, roll back a bit on the ice time to avoid hitting the wall. The guy has proven so far he can play in the big league, so why not give him more than just table scraps for ice time? As well, some decent line mates might go a long way as well.
Not sure i agree with your point about Shenn being Lavy's boy ?Lavy seems to be very high on Couturier as well, and it shows by how Lavy uses him in key situations through out a game ?

Old
11-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I really like how Couts has played by no way couts>Lilja at being a defenseman

It just won't happen. Like someone else said it usually goes dman to forward not the other way around
Kapanen played D in the playoffs no less - but I think he was a defenseman when he was young. Maybe Couturier played defense as a kid- he certainly can skate backwards very well - as all good defensive forwards do.

If he was good enough at D or not good enough at forward they would have switched him before juniors I'm sure. He's too good at center anyways.

And I think Lilja has been fine. Better #6/7 than Bartulis/Walker/Gus etc.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:10 AM
ORYX

The only time I would put him on defense is if the teams drops 2 guys or more in a game, and he gets caught as the lone man back on a 2-1 and does very admirably.

Aside from that I think the team would put a more seasons vet back there instead. Of the ones we have, I also don't think any would do a better job the Couturier, except maybe Talbot.

I doubt it'll happen, I dont want to see it happen (as a result of what it would likely mean to the defensive injuries), but in theory i'll give you the following scores:

Effort: A
Execution: D
Realism: C-
Colouring between the lines: D
Ability to accept criticism with a sense of Humour: A

Overall: C

Old
11-18-2011, 11:14 AM
CptCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Q. F. T.
And the guy's still playing. Had a year off last season and made comeback this autumn.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:35 AM
phillyfanatic

I prefer:
Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr
JVR-Briere-Voracek
Read-Schenn-Simmonds
Talbot-Couturier-Rinaldo

Pronger-Carle
Timmonen-Coburn
Meszaros-Gustaffson

Bryzgalov
Bobrovsky

That lineup is beauty-ful

Old
11-18-2011, 11:36 AM
thedjpd

Quote:
I really question what Laviolette and company are doing with Couturier. We all know that when Laviolette's "boy", Schenn, comes back into the lineup Couturier's ice time is going to get cut even further. Everyone talks about wanting to limit his ice time over the course of the regular season, but with it being so early in the year, now is the time to give Couturier ice time and then when the second half rolls around, roll back a bit on the ice time to avoid hitting the wall. The guy has proven so far he can play in the big league, so why not give him more than just table scraps for ice time? As well, some decent line mates might go a long way as well.
I really think you're out to lunch.

The Flyers suck at drafting, teaching, and developing just drafted NHL defensemen.

But they definitely know how to develop forwards. Great forwards.
I think they know what they're doing.

Gagne, Richards, Carter, Giroux, Umberger, Williams, soon to be JVR - look at Voracek.

I question what they do sometimes, but they know how to teach and create good NHL forwards. I'm not worried about Couturier one bit.

In fact, I'm of the belief that even though this draft is full of defensemen, and I'm sure the Flyers will take one, that they should still take forwards, develop them, and then trade them later for D. That's how good they are at creating NHL forwards.

Old
11-18-2011, 12:30 PM
BWAVgal
Hextall*Hakstol 2016

vCash: 50
As someone else said, Lilja has been ok in the past few games. He wasn't the one who gave the puck to Whitney on that breakway. That was Mez. Lilja is doing ok.

Old
11-18-2011, 01:17 PM
RoDu

This is the dumbest idea since Holmgren signed Shelley

Old
11-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
This is the dumbest idea since Holmgren signed Shelley
Let's not be too hasty

11-18-2011, 01:28 PM
decadentia

I think Shelley should play defense.

...or hockey successfully as a professional, either one would be acceptable.

Old
11-18-2011, 01:44 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
I believe you hit the nail on the head and answered your own question. They are trying to not burn him out. If you keep his ice time limited he can develop his 2 way game further in the NHL and get used to an 82 game schedule. I do not want him to hit a wall and see defensive breakdowns from him later in the year as you suggest. Thats when games really count. Maybe we play him more in the playoffs or in the end of the year but now I like the approach and I do hope his ice time is limited so that he doesn't burn out and he gets that valuable experience early on.

Old
11-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Yep. I'd rather limit a rookie and have him play reliably for 10 minutes a game than see him play unreliably for 18 minutes a game.

Old
11-18-2011, 01:50 PM
chsb

Couturier played defense in Bantam and midget levels, but never played defense on his junior team.

Needless to say he was an offensive defenseman very good on the breakout.
For those who doubt his back skating, think again!

Old
11-18-2011, 02:54 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Let's not be too hasty
thanks Treebeard

Old
11-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
thanks Treebeard
I was thinking Aladdin but that works too.

Old
11-18-2011, 06:32 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
There's just too much depth here. We aint some shafter team like the islanders that has plenty of room for rookies. The fact that he made the Flyers is pretty damn good. I know he was a high pick but still this is the best league in the world. He's only here cause he's so awesome defensively. He's got that crazy long reach to block shooting lanes and he plays smart in all zones. With the depth the flyers have i'd say he's makin good with what their givin him. who even knows if the offense will ever come. nothings garanteed but he's really good so far.

Closed Thread