HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards is a great hockey player

Old
11-16-2011, 04:45 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
As would I, although it would kill our cap situation. We're hardly going to be dealing Gaborik the way he has been playing.

I'd happily deal Wolski+Dubinsky for Staal, though.
That's the thing. I don't know if I want to deal Dubinsky. He is a heart and soul player that represents everything this organization has been about the past 5 years or so.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

01-02 Lindros gave us 37+36= 73 points.
05-06 Nylander gave us 23+56= 79, and 06-07 Nylander gave us 26+57= 83.

I'm not sure Brad will surpass those seasons, he certainly wont pass Lindros in goals, but he can still give us 25+45= 70, I would bet.

11-16-2011, 04:46 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
01-02 Lindros gave us 37+36= 73 points.
05-06 Nylander gave us 23+56= 79, and 06-07 Nylander gave us 26+57= 83.

I'm not sure Brad will surpass those seasons, he certainly wont pass Lindros in goals, but he can still give us 25+45= 70, I would bet.
And a cup.

Old
11-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Well, I don't want to trade Dubinsky either. I'm just saying I would for a 26 year old star center or a legitimate star LW like Rick Nash.

Othersie i'd say keep him, especially when LW is still a weak position for this team.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 04:50 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Well, I don't want to trade Dubinsky either. I'm just saying I would for a 26 year old star center or a legitimate star LW like Rick Nash.

Othersie i'd say keep him, especially when LW is still a weak position for this team.
Hypothetically you'd obviously have to move a C to LW. Stepan is currently playing the wing on the top line. Boyle has been moved to the wing at times. Not often though. I think for a player of Staal's caliber you make the moves positionally that you have to.

I'd trade 2 1st rounders, Wolski, prospect, prospect

I know that doesn't get it done but that would be my first offer. It's not like 2 1st rounders are worthless.

Old
11-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

We could, but we would have to move somebody eventually for the cap space. Right now with Staal and Rupp in LTIR it could work temporarily but then you have a really tough decision to make. Right now Wolski is the only high salary guy on this team that doesn't play a huge role.

Of course, we would never be the highest bidder for Staal, and I seriously doubt they try to trade him. Although TB did try to trade Lecavalier way back.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:03 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

He's on pace for what, 70~ points?

He scored at a PPG+ pace the last two years.

It excites me to think that he's not even playing at his best, or that he's going to start racking up assists when Dubi reaches midseason form. He's also made a very noticeable difference on our PP.

This guy is the man.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:15 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Eric Staal doesn't play a lick of defense anymore. I don't think he's as bad as he's looked recently, but he is very overpaid.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:17 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
We could, but we would have to move somebody eventually for the cap space. Right now with Staal and Rupp in LTIR it could work temporarily but then you have a really tough decision to make. Right now Wolski is the only high salary guy on this team that doesn't play a huge role.

Of course, we would never be the highest bidder for Staal, and I seriously doubt they try to trade him. Although TB did try to trade Lecavalier way back.
Hypothetically, we would make this move near the deadline so you'd have some wiggle room to take on salary for the rest of this season. Plus you deal Wolski to offset some of the salary. You cut salary of guys like Stralman, Christensen, Woywitka after the season. Probably Avery's salary as well. And then Drury's buyout cap comes off the books after next season I believe. But yeah you'd have to get creative.

Old
11-16-2011, 05:50 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
That's the thing. I don't know if I want to deal Dubinsky. He is a heart and soul player that represents everything this organization has been about the past 5 years or so.
But what has the organization been about the past 5 years? It's been a pretty mediocre 5 years. I don't know if I want to deal him either but you gotta give to get.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Great signing, was always happy with it, I feel his impact will go way beyond the stat sheet. Also, God my stomach turns when i read about people wanting to trade Duby, I love him. Duby, Callahan, Stepan, McDonagh need to be apart of this team for next 6-10 yrs easy.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Leetch66

They will have to find somebody that clicks with him to really get our PP going and give us more chances because he looks like he is the only guy that actually does know what to do on the PP as the forwards usually out there just can't cut it . Imagine a Ryan Smyth type of player standing in front of the net during a Richard run PP...we need that type of player ASAP to really see what Brad is capable of doing !!!

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:23 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

You'd like his point total to be a little higher but im not worried.

He's still playing fantastic. On the PP he's helped a lot. The one thing that amazes me most about him, is his awareness. Some of the passes he makes are just crazy. He'll skating towards the boards and all of sudden just pass it behind him to someone. He's an incredible passer and im glad we got him.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 08:28 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
He'll pick it up with the points. He's generating a lot of good chances. If Dubinsky, Boyle, Anisimov and a few others weren't off to slow starts in the goalscoring department, Richards would have a few more assist and be at a point per game. He's on pace for 31 goals, which would be GREAT (and a career high).

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 10:18 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Brad Richards friggin' rocks. End of story. No way this team is sitting at 10-3-3 without him.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 06:44 PM
adam94
BU Terriers

Awesome signing overall, I think he'll end up being worth every penny. He brings the extra star power and offensive force that can lead us towards a cup. Couldn't be more excited about this team.

adam94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Sockosensei

My main reservation with Richards was whether he'd be able to handle NY and the fickle fans.

So far so good.

And on the powerplay, man he's a great addition. Can pass, shoot rockets, or just get the puck through for a potential rebound.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 11:37 PM
Imclaudelemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Brad Richards friggin' rocks. End of story. No way this team is sitting at 10-3-3 without him.
True. He's done wonders for our PP even though it hasn't really shown on paper. I've noticed other players like Callahan and even Gaborik picking up little tricks and copying what he does. I've seen Gaborik on a couple of occasions do that thing where richards goes slow on the rush but moves his feet quick to throw off the D man.

Imclaudelemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Brad Richards is pretty much the perfect example of how smarts and hockey IQ can supercede even the most incredible physical attributes. Hes not the biggest, nor the strongest, nor the fastest, but he makes the right play in nearly every situation - especially in the offensive zone. Combine that with outstanding vision, and you have an elite level hockey player.

Derek Stepan should be following Richards around and soaking up whatever he can.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Brad Richards is pretty much the perfect example of how smarts and hockey IQ can supercede even the most incredible physical attributes. Hes not the biggest, nor the strongest, nor the fastest, but he makes the right play in nearly every situation - especially in the offensive zone. Combine that with outstanding vision, and you have an elite level hockey player.

Derek Stepan should be following Richards around and soaking up whatever he can.
This.

I think Stepan already has a great mold of what Richards is, and over the years Stepan could easily turn into a Richards. They are very identical players. Will Stepan have 90 points seasons? No, but he could put up a few nice 70 point seasons if he continues his development.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

It's hard to compare centers. Center has always been a glamour position and almost all of the greats are centers. Crosby, Toews, Kane, Kesler, Sedin, Giroux, Ribiero [excruciatingly underrated], Kopitar, E.Staal, Getzlaf, Richie, Spezza, Thornton, Backstrom, Lecavalier, Stamkos, Datsyuk, Stastny. Look at these ****in names and I'm probably still forgetting some. Take the top 30 players in the league and at least half of them are centers if not more. My point being, it's very difficult to do Richie justice with a ranking considering how over-stacked his position is.

With that mouthful being said, he's in the discussion if you do choose to have it, and I pretty much agree with everything you said outside of actually ranking him.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

And I've noticed some very good defensive play out of him this year. Very underrated on that end.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Levitate

I think Richards is tough to rank cuz he's not a very flashy player, he's not a stickhandler who's going to score highlight reel goals, or a sniper that's gonna score 40, or blaze past everyone to deke the goalie to their knees

He's just a smart and skilled player who produces, but you don't exactly watch him and think "wow look how awesomely skilled that guy is", you just have to notice all the smart plays he makes

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think Richards is tough to rank cuz he's not a very flashy player, he's not a stickhandler who's going to score highlight reel goals, or a sniper that's gonna score 40, or blaze past everyone to deke the goalie to their knees

He's just a smart and skilled player who produces, but you don't exactly watch him and think "wow look how awesomely skilled that guy is", you just have to notice all the smart plays he makes
his vision is unreal. its not his ability to make passes that impresses me, its his ability to see people when looking in totally different directions...they almost seem like area passes, except they hit the tape of the other player perfectly every time. i dont get how those guys do that.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Emptyvoid

Richard's value isn't in just the points he puts up but also what he teaches to our young team. You can already tell the effect Richard's influence has had on Stepan and his game.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote