HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

5th-6th d-man needed???

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Don Draper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSENSFAN
What about at the deadline we pick up Brenden Witt for a pick or a prospect. He is UFA at the end of the season so we could let him go then.
If we are going to spend assets to get a player to fill a hole, i think 2nd line center will be the place that happens. I know we have done this to death, and i am not in either camp as of yet, but there are definitely more pressing issues than 6th defensemen, especially since it will cost far too much to get a player like Witt when other teams will want him in their top 4.

Old
11-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Rico__Persson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSENSFAN
What about at the deadline we pick up Brenden Witt for a pick or a prospect. He is UFA at the end of the season so we could let him go then.
Too expensive, and quite frankly not much better than Pothier/Schubert to warrant a trade.

Barring an injury, I'm comfortable with the defence. There is a large gap in the 1st/2nd line center that I feel needs to be filled for this year. As well, the goaltending situation should also be looked at before any defensive decisions. Looking to next year, I don't think Muckler will be comfortable with Emery starting in nets for a team that must win, and I'm not sure about Dom...he's only completed 25% of this years task. Too early to say he'll be back next year. Look for a possible Havlat for a goaltender deal?

I feel Chara will be re-signed. I feel Redden will be re-signed. If its one of the two, Redden will be signed and traded. A player with 80% of his skill will be brought in at a solid price, and the younger D-men will pick up the slack left by Wade.

This season, I don't see a move at defence unless it is due to an injury. I'm comfortable with them.

Sidenote: I wish Ottawa still had Greg DeVries. He is a rock. I felt he was one of the better defencemen in the latest loss to the Leafs when it matter. A great veteran, and team guy. I felt he was treated unfairly by the typical Senators fans during his time here. Yes, he was expensive, but blame the Rangers.

Nice to see him playing well in Atlanta, beauty game winner last night in OT.

Old
11-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Aki Berg

6th Defenseman you say?

Who knows, maybe Muckler gets JFJ really drunk and trades you guys the best 6th D man ever.

Old
11-19-2005, 03:45 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Persson
I felt he was one of the better defencemen in the latest loss to the Leafs when it matter.
deVries was bad that series and didn't look good at all when he was with the Sens. He's a good defenseman, but not worth his price tag at all.

Old
11-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Rico__Persson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
deVries was bad that series and didn't look good at all when he was with the Sens. He's a good defenseman, but not worth his price tag at all.
He played hard that series. I liked him. Its more his dressing room and off ice personality that I liked. Remember, fans only see the players for about 9 hours a week (games), but there is more to the life of a hockey player than that. The off days and pre/post game are very important when its make or break playoff time.

He sort of had that "Been there, done that, bought the T-Shirt" attitude, that I think this team needs.

Old
11-19-2005, 03:54 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
There is a large gap in the 1st/2nd line center that I feel needs to be filled for this year.

Looking to next year, I don't think Muckler will be comfortable with Emery starting in nets for a team that must win, and I'm not sure about Dom...he's only completed 25% of this years task. Too early to say he'll be back next year. Look for a possible Havlat for a goaltender deal?

Nice to see him playing well in Atlanta, beauty game winner last night in OT.
1st line center seems more than fine right now. 2nd line center isn't a big gap, but could be filled better. We'll see what Vermette can do with it until the deadine.

Next years goalie situation... I think the non-qualifying of Prusek was a clear vote of confidence for Emery. I still see the Sens going cheap on a guy who is expected to lose the starting role to Emery within a year or share duties (Kevin Weekes or somebody like him).

It is nice to see deVries doing so well. But he wouldn't have gotten that ice time or that chance here.

Last edited by trentmccleary: 11-19-2005 at 04:03 PM.
Old
11-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Rico__Persson*

Sorry Trent, I'm always talking playoff hockey. The regualr season is quite plain and boring. Ottawa always cleans house.

So, In the postseason:

There will be zero drop passes at the blueline, and zero no-look passes. I think Spezza may be in trouble and need to adjust, hopefully sooner rather than later. The physical play is stepped up 10 fold, with every shift meaning so much more. Momentum is everything. I've seen Spezza take embarrassing dives, and dropped many times in the first 1/4 of this season. I'm thinking he will have a problem with that aspect of the game as well.

Time will tell, we'll see.

Last edited by Rico__Persson*: 11-19-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old
11-19-2005, 04:47 PM
trentmccleary

The drop passes and dipsy-doodling have actually been reduced since 03-04. He's also been quick enough now to make up for a few of those. Spezza will never be perfect in this respect, but then again... Bonk was to some extent and his simple, "Hot Potato", pass to the guy 5 feet in front of him (who isn't in a scoring area) playmaking style wasn't creating any offensive chances.
For this team to be able to score in the playoffs, we'll need a Spezza and a classic PF and a sniper... we'll need to be versatile and have everything it takes to win against every opponent.

Old
11-19-2005, 04:55 PM
gbl1p

Quote:
Sorry Trent, I'm always talking playoff hockey. The regualr season is quite plain and boring. Ottawa always cleans house.

So, In the postseason:

There will be zero drop passes at the blueline, and zero no-look passes. I think Spezza may be in trouble and need to adjust, hopefully sooner rather than later. The physical play is stepped up 10 fold, with every shift meaning so much more. Momentum is everything. I've seen Spezza take embarrassing dives, and dropped many times in the first 1/4 of this season. I'm think he will have a problem with that aspect of the game as well.

Time will tell, we'll see.
You're not alone in this thinking. This is a super touchy subject, and with respect to the title of this thread this maybe should be discussed elsewhere. Regardless of Spezzas "breakout year", and regardless of the massive amount of progress he's made since he last played in the NHL, I really don't see anything about Spezzas game that is particularly conducive to playoff success. I have lost count of how many times Spezza has tried to make a ridiculously high percentage play, of course to be bailed out by our superb defense. I must admit, I do indeed have a small bone to pick with Jasons play. Fortunately for us, the good he brings often equates or surpasses the negatives - case in point, a terrible game vs. Florida that is all of sudden forgotten with one gorgeous pass to Alfie.

There is no doubt you're right about one thing - Time will tell.

Heres to hoping that Murray can hone in on Jason and help tailor his game into a "real mans".

Lastly, this is not meant to incite a riot, because we all know how many Spezza fanboys there are in the Ottawa thread (to a certain degree, I'm one of them). This is realistic though.

Old
11-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Don Draper

I also do not want to be ruining this thread, but the Spezza commentary is very warranted I would say. His best game by far, in my opinion, was against the Leafs last time around. He think he had 2 mistakes all game, and created an incredible amount of offence without forcing too much. If he can play like that come playoff time, I have no complaints. If we see the same player we have over the past 3 games, we could be pulling our collective hair out.

I dont think we have ever had a sharper two-edged sword in our history. He is completely maddening on occasion, while dropping jaws moments later. Hes the equivalent of dating a beautiful girl who is incredibly emotional. As long as she keeps her comments about her weight to a minimum, we should be fine.

Old
11-19-2005, 05:53 PM
yentlmania

Geez, to have the sens troubles... long suffering Blues fan here. Looking at the East, not hard to see that Sens and Habs ( dman, like Brewer once he is off IR) have needs that will need to be addressed to strengthen their respective chances with Philly et al ( though you guys have to be the odds on favourites). Would not some form of Weight + Salvy ( or Weino) make sense to you guys? Blues need prospects and picks but I realize there has been plenty of talk about the cap affecting same. With Weight his pro rata salary will minimize the cost of a trade, but question is, which Sen is the add in to address the cap? Clearly Blues would like some form of Bochenski + early pick + the 'cap' player. Blues less apt to move Salvy than a Weino.

Closed Thread