HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Salmo - stays or goes?

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2003, 09:48 AM
barto

vCash: 500
Salmo - stays or goes?

I mentioned this in my other thread about the Roadrunners' game being on Sportsnet on Sunday - do we see Tony S. in the lineup again against Detroit Saturday night? I didn't get to see all that much of the game against Columbus to get a feel for how he did, so I was just putting this out there for others to comment on.

Realistically, he probably doesn't stick around long before getting sent back down, esp. if Stoll is healthy enough to play. I could see Salmo being here until after the Detroit game, though, and then getting sent back to Toronto. Maybe even for the Sunday afternoon game!

Any thoughts on Salmo & how he did against Columbus?

Bart

Old
10-31-2003, 09:58 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

he only played 4:17, 4 shifts in the 1st period and 2 shifts in the second period, and he didnt play one second in the second half of the game.

So either he wasnt impressing, or MacT didn't want to play him in the ladder part of the game since it was so close. Your guess is as good as mine.

Old
10-31-2003, 09:58 AM
Marconius

I didn't see much of Salmo either, which is really to bad. I think he showed some serious jump in the preseason. In fact, I think none of the coaching staff even gave him a shot and then he went and forced them to make some tough decisions. I think the only reason he got sent down was basically contract reasons, because imo he played well enough to stick, everything else being equal
I'd love to see him get some quality ice and see what he can do out there. I think some of the guys who have not necessarily been playing bad (Pisani, Chimera), but not creating anything either, should take a seat in pb and give guys like Salmo & Rita a shot
The sooner we get a good idea of what some of the prospects can do, the sooner we can start thinking about where we need to trade up at

Old
10-31-2003, 10:05 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
I didn't see much of Salmo either, which is really to bad. I think he showed some serious jump in the preseason. In fact, I think none of the coaching staff even gave him a shot and then he went and forced them to make some tough decisions. I think the only reason he got sent down was basically contract reasons, because imo he played well enough to stick, everything else being equal
I'd love to see him get some quality ice and see what he can do out there. I think some of the guys who have not necessarily been playing bad (Pisani, Chimera), but not creating anything either, should take a seat in pb and give guys like Salmo & Rita a shot
The sooner we get a good idea of what some of the prospects can do, the sooner we can start thinking about where we need to trade up at
I agree - I don't think he was expected to really challenge for a job this year but impressed the coaches with his strong pre-season play.

And I also like your point about guys like Pisani and Chimera getting a wake-up call by sitting out a game or three & seeing what Salmo could do with a more regular shift. Think of what a great PKer Salmo could be...and he might even score on some of his breakaways!

And what do we read into Salmo being the guy called up rather than Rita? Anything? Obviously the coaching staff liked his play more at this point - what's up with Rita and the rest of the Roadrunners?? I miss Jim's posts on the Bulldogs...

Bart

Old
10-31-2003, 10:12 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
And what do we read into Salmo being the guy called up rather than Rita? Anything? Obviously the coaching staff liked his play more at this point - what's up with Rita and the rest of the Roadrunners?? I miss Jim's posts on the Bulldogs...

Bart
I think, without a doubt, Salmo stepped above Rita during the preseason. Salmo came in as a unknown/nonfactor and lept up the depth chart. Rita started camp as a sure thing (or as close as a sure thing you can be wihtout being an NHL regular) and slipped further and further down the ladder as the preseason wore on. Anyone know how Rita's doing on the farm? Racking up points like he has something to prove? Pouting?

Old
10-31-2003, 10:16 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
I think, without a doubt, Salmo stepped above Rita during the preseason. Salmo came in as a unknown/nonfactor and lept up the depth chart. Rita started camp as a sure thing (or as close as a sure thing you can be wihtout being an NHL regular) and slipped further and further down the ladder as the preseason wore on. Anyone know how Rita's doing on the farm? Racking up points like he has something to prove? Pouting?
Totally agree - Rita was going to be given every opportunity to make the team, but he didn't really do anything with the chance. And yeah, what have the players been like on the farm so far? Jim Harnock used to give regular reports or respond to queries, but now that the team's in Toronto instead of Hamilton, he's not able to do that.

Anyone else in the Toronto area able to give some insight as to how the guys on the Roadrunners are doing so far?

Bart

Old
10-31-2003, 10:16 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I think he definitely goes...

Now don't get me wrong, as I was the person who orginally said he should be one of the first call ups, but him playing 6 minutes isn't going to help him very much long term. I could understand keeping him for 4 or 5 games tops, but after that, he has to go.

This was probably a nice little reward for him, and I wouldn't be suprised if it lights a bit of a fire under Rita as well.

Old
10-31-2003, 10:25 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Totally agree - Rita was going to be given every opportunity to make the team, but he didn't really do anything with the chance. And yeah, what have the players been like on the farm so far? Jim Harnock used to give regular reports or respond to queries, but now that the team's in Toronto instead of Hamilton, he's not able to do that.

Anyone else in the Toronto area able to give some insight as to how the guys on the Roadrunners are doing so far?

Bart
I have seasons tickets this year, and should be going to 25-30 games anyways.

I also listen to netcasts whenever possible (and unfortunately no one in Toronto has the runners, so you need to find out if the opposition has a station that will be playing it).

So far, Salmo has been like greased lightning. He only had 4 points in the first 8 games, but he also had like 24 shots and you could hear the excitment (and this is the oppositions radio guys) piping up in the commentators voices when he would go.

Rita hasn't been bad by any means, but he has only been about the 3rd or 4th best player on the team. Based on what I have heard, he hasn't been doing as much at full speed as he usually does when he is his most effective.

Wright has been about the smartest thing the Oilers management could have done for the runners (except for Valiquette)... he is doing everything for that club, and it wouldn't suprise me if he got a callup later on, even if it is just so Stoll can get sent down for some playing time (if it comes to that).

My only complaint is this... If the Oilers aren't going to play Valiquette, send him back down. The roadrunners are more or less screwed without him, as Mason hasn't been good at all... I mean they lost 2 games to the Wolves, and severely out-played Chicago both games (Lehtonen was fantastic in one game though). The reason I say send him down, is because there haven't been a lot of seasons tickets sold here, and if they want a walk up crowd, they need to improve on their record... which hasn't really been indicitive of their play, but still doesn't look good... and if Valiquette isn't going to play, you might as well have Mason opening the doors, and if you do need to send him in, chances are the game is already over, or who knows, he may pull a curtis sanford or something.

Old
10-31-2003, 10:33 AM
barto

Hey, excellent report, dawggone - thanks! Keep those reports coming, as you've already followed the team closer than 99% of us here (I imagine).

Valiquette stays here until Conklin is good to go again, though, so that'll continue to be a problem. And we can be even more cynical and say that the Oilers don't really care what the walk-up traffic is like, since they're not on the hook for any losses that might happen (which is what made it such a sweet deal for them). I guess the (small) point is that the Oilers have just a little less incentive to make sure the Roadrunners pack 'em in, and will make sure to do what's best for the NHL team first.

But I would agree that Salmo gets a look & goes back down, barring more injuries or more suckage-istical play from some of the other forwards...it'll just be interesting to see how many games he stays, and then how much he plays in those games. It's good to hear that he's been 'on fire' in the AHL so far.

I actually sometimes wonder if the Oilers purposefully send a guy down just to see how he reacts. Chimera, for instance, was devastated when he was the last cut two years ago, but pulled it together and had a fairly strong year in Hamilton. He was then rewarded with a one-way deal that off-season.

So Salmo and Rita were both late cuts, with Salmo arguably having the better camp/pre-season...but the Oilers would be watching very carefully to see how each of them handles the 'demotion'.

Hope Rita pulls it together, though!

Bart

Old
10-31-2003, 10:38 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Hey, excellent report, dawggone - thanks! Keep those reports coming, as you've already followed the team closer than 99% of us here (I imagine).

Valiquette stays here until Conklin is good to go again, though, so that'll continue to be a problem. And we can be even more cynical and say that the Oilers don't really care what the walk-up traffic is like, since they're not on the hook for any losses that might happen (which is what made it such a sweet deal for them). I guess the (small) point is that the Oilers have just a little less incentive to make sure the Roadrunners pack 'em in, and will make sure to do what's best for the NHL team first.

But I would agree that Salmo gets a look & goes back down, barring more injuries or more suckage-istical play from some of the other forwards...it'll just be interesting to see how many games he stays, and then how much he plays in those games. It's good to hear that he's been 'on fire' in the AHL so far.

I actually sometimes wonder if the Oilers purposefully send a guy down just to see how he reacts. Chimera, for instance, was devastated when he was the last cut two years ago, but pulled it together and had a fairly strong year in Hamilton. He was then rewarded with a one-way deal that off-season.

So Salmo and Rita were both late cuts, with Salmo arguably having the better camp/pre-season...but the Oilers would be watching very carefully to see how each of them handles the 'demotion'.

Hope Rita pulls it together, though!

Bart
Just because the Oilers aren't on the hook for the losses, doesn't mean that they need to purposefully turn away fans.

What I mean by Valiquette getting sent back down is that if the figure Conklin only needs another couple of days and he is fine, send Valiquette down, because the runners have 2 games this week, and they will get a bit more media attention than they have since it was announced that they were getting a team... the last thing you want is to be embarrased.

But Conks has been put on the injured reserve, so it sounds like Valiquette could be here for a bit.

Old
10-31-2003, 10:39 AM
copperaddict

He looked better than Horcoff!He loses the puck 99.9% of the time.When was the last time anyone saw him go in the corner for the puck and get it?

Old
10-31-2003, 10:42 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Just because the Oilers aren't on the hook for the losses, doesn't mean that they need to purposefully turn away fans.
Agreed - of course they won't go out of their way to piss off fans & such, but when the losses aren't coming out of your pocket, you might not go that extra mile to do something to salvage things. I dunno, was just kinda rambling as I typed.
Quote:
What I mean by Valiquette getting sent back down is that if the figure Conklin only needs another couple of days and he is fine, send Valiquette down, because the runners have 2 games this week, and they will get a bit more media attention than they have since it was announced that they were getting a team... the last thing you want is to be embarrased.

But Conks has been put on the injured reserve, so it sounds like Valiquette could be here for a bit.
That's the bottom line - IF Ty recovers enough to play, then he backs up Salo against the Wings and Valiquette goes back to Toronto.

And your point about the next 2 Roadrunners games is important, too - the home opener to show off their new digs will draw a lot more interest than, say, game #32 of the season.

anyway, good stuff - please keep us up to date on the guys on the Roadrunners as much as you can. thanks!!

Bart

Old
10-31-2003, 11:07 AM
Master Lok

I think these guys are just up here because of the injuries/sickees on the main roster.

Valiquette is here until Conklin is 100%. Salmo is here until Stoll feels better. I have a feeling that while Rita can play RW, Salmo is a more natural RW player and that is why he was called up to replace Laraques.

Old
10-31-2003, 11:11 AM
barto

And now we know that Conklin's back off IR, so Valiquette does indeed go back to Toronto in time for the home opener Saturday!

Bart

Old
10-31-2003, 12:49 PM
dawgbone

Apparantly, there aren't a whole bunch of tickets left for the first 2 games...

good sign, let's see if it lasts.

Closed Thread