HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Brad Richards is a great hockey player

Old
11-18-2011, 04:37 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

vCash: 500
Great signing for NY. A great piece of the puzzle. Need players like him to get far in the playoffs.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
his vision is unreal. its not his ability to make passes that impresses me, its his ability to see people when looking in totally different directions...they almost seem like area passes, except they hit the tape of the other player perfectly every time. i dont get how those guys do that.
This is the single-most underrated SKILL a player can have at the NHL level. A lot of the discussion about Richards has hinged on the fact that he is great in spite of his relative lack of skill, but honestly, I don't see why a distinction needs to be made between vision and things like stickhandling or speed. At the NHL level, everyone is so good that you rarely see a player get beat purely because of his opponent's speed or elusiveness.

Girardi's PP goal in the Carolina game is the ultimate example. Everyone in the league is physically capable of making that pass. Very few are able to SEE that lane, and/or have the patience and foresight to allow it to open.

This is without a doubt an incredible skill when you think about how fast the game is moving at the NHL level. Awesome stuff.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 04:59 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
And I've noticed some very good defensive play out of him this year. Very underrated on that end.
He's not underrated on that end. He historically just isn't that good in that end.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Hes always been a solid two way player. Hes just smart, knows the game and has that 6th sense for where players are.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Dorado*

Richards be even greater I we had a wing who could shoot playing with him but this is fairly obvious . Guys like Dubi are necessary on championship caliber teams . BUT , it seems the pressure of his latest contract and the implications of playing with Richards and to produce are obviously affecting him . having BR play the cycle game all game without guys Who are true finishers is a waste of his talent

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

I think dubi should be with Stepan and gabby, while Anisimov Richards Callahan is line 1b.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I do agree that his final years in his contract may end up hurting us, but if we get a cup now, it'll be worth it.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 06:20 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I do agree that his final years in his contract may end up hurting us, but if we get a cup now, it'll be worth it.
I hear you, but bear in mind that a) it's entirely possible the contract will play out exactly as intended and he'll retire with the last 3 years remaining and b) the CBA will be renegotiated once (this summer) and likely twice before we get there. I'd be shocked if by the time he's on his downswing the Rangers don't have a way out of it. (And worst case you can always Redden him...)

Out & out great signing. Not just because of the fact that he filled two key holes; not just because he will be instrumental in teaching other players; but also because he gives the team confidence in the same way that Messier (part I) did. You can see it on the ice - they expect to win. I sincerely hope that this confidence will take root in the younger players just as we all expect his play to impact Stepan and the other young forwards.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
He's not underrated on that end. He historically just isn't that good in that end.
Proof of my point.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:05 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I hear you, but bear in mind that a) it's entirely possible the contract will play out exactly as intended and he'll retire with the last 3 years remaining and b) the CBA will be renegotiated once (this summer) and likely twice before we get there. I'd be shocked if by the time he's on his downswing the Rangers don't have a way out of it. (And worst case you can always Redden him...)

Out & out great signing. Not just because of the fact that he filled two key holes; not just because he will be instrumental in teaching other players; but also because he gives the team confidence in the same way that Messier (part I) did. You can see it on the ice - they expect to win. I sincerely hope that this confidence will take root in the younger players just as we all expect his play to impact Stepan and the other young forwards.
NMC. He doesn't go down unless he wants to.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:21 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
NMC. He doesn't go down unless he wants to.
D'oh. Forgot about that.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:31 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Proof of my point.
That's one way to look at it. The other way is that you're wrong.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote