HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Brad Richards is a great hockey player

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-18-2011, 04:37 PM
  #101
Drouin2Stamkos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,973
vCash: 500
Great signing for NY. A great piece of the puzzle. Need players like him to get far in the playoffs.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 04:55 PM
  #102
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
his vision is unreal. its not his ability to make passes that impresses me, its his ability to see people when looking in totally different directions...they almost seem like area passes, except they hit the tape of the other player perfectly every time. i dont get how those guys do that.
This is the single-most underrated SKILL a player can have at the NHL level. A lot of the discussion about Richards has hinged on the fact that he is great in spite of his relative lack of skill, but honestly, I don't see why a distinction needs to be made between vision and things like stickhandling or speed. At the NHL level, everyone is so good that you rarely see a player get beat purely because of his opponent's speed or elusiveness.

Girardi's PP goal in the Carolina game is the ultimate example. Everyone in the league is physically capable of making that pass. Very few are able to SEE that lane, and/or have the patience and foresight to allow it to open.

This is without a doubt an incredible skill when you think about how fast the game is moving at the NHL level. Awesome stuff.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 04:59 PM
  #103
HockeyBurd*
 
HockeyBurd*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
And I've noticed some very good defensive play out of him this year. Very underrated on that end.
He's not underrated on that end. He historically just isn't that good in that end.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 05:02 PM
  #104
Drouin2Stamkos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,973
vCash: 500
Hes always been a solid two way player. Hes just smart, knows the game and has that 6th sense for where players are.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 05:37 PM
  #105
Dorado*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooklyn ,USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Richards be even greater I we had a wing who could shoot playing with him but this is fairly obvious . Guys like Dubi are necessary on championship caliber teams . BUT , it seems the pressure of his latest contract and the implications of playing with Richards and to produce are obviously affecting him . having BR play the cycle game all game without guys Who are true finishers is a waste of his talent

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 05:59 PM
  #106
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
I think dubi should be with Stepan and gabby, while Anisimov Richards Callahan is line 1b.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 06:04 PM
  #107
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
I do agree that his final years in his contract may end up hurting us, but if we get a cup now, it'll be worth it.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 06:20 PM
  #108
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I do agree that his final years in his contract may end up hurting us, but if we get a cup now, it'll be worth it.
I hear you, but bear in mind that a) it's entirely possible the contract will play out exactly as intended and he'll retire with the last 3 years remaining and b) the CBA will be renegotiated once (this summer) and likely twice before we get there. I'd be shocked if by the time he's on his downswing the Rangers don't have a way out of it. (And worst case you can always Redden him...)

Out & out great signing. Not just because of the fact that he filled two key holes; not just because he will be instrumental in teaching other players; but also because he gives the team confidence in the same way that Messier (part I) did. You can see it on the ice - they expect to win. I sincerely hope that this confidence will take root in the younger players just as we all expect his play to impact Stepan and the other young forwards.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 08:37 PM
  #109
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
He's not underrated on that end. He historically just isn't that good in that end.
Proof of my point.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:05 PM
  #110
iamitter
Thornton's Hen
 
iamitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,360
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I hear you, but bear in mind that a) it's entirely possible the contract will play out exactly as intended and he'll retire with the last 3 years remaining and b) the CBA will be renegotiated once (this summer) and likely twice before we get there. I'd be shocked if by the time he's on his downswing the Rangers don't have a way out of it. (And worst case you can always Redden him...)

Out & out great signing. Not just because of the fact that he filled two key holes; not just because he will be instrumental in teaching other players; but also because he gives the team confidence in the same way that Messier (part I) did. You can see it on the ice - they expect to win. I sincerely hope that this confidence will take root in the younger players just as we all expect his play to impact Stepan and the other young forwards.
NMC. He doesn't go down unless he wants to.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:21 PM
  #111
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
NMC. He doesn't go down unless he wants to.
D'oh. Forgot about that.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:31 AM
  #112
HockeyBurd*
 
HockeyBurd*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Proof of my point.
That's one way to look at it. The other way is that you're wrong.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.