HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dreaming for a second here...

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2003, 02:26 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
Dreaming for a second here...

Okay, Imagine if you will, this Oilers roster:

Forwards

Gaborik($4.5)-Connolly(1.24)-Hemsky($1.13)
Dvorak($2.0)-Reasoner($.85)-Smyth($3.45)
Chimera($.5)-Stoll($.625)-York($2.0)
Torres($.8)-Moreau($1.5)-Laraque($1.1)

$19.695 mil

Defence (in no order)

Staios($1.1)-Bergeron($.4)
Brewer($2.5)-Kubina($2.5)
Cross($1.05)-Semenov($.7)

$8.25 mil

Goaltenders

Martin Biron($2.2)
Ty Conklin($.86)

$3.06 mil

TOTAL SALARY: $30.98 million

TRADES:

Shawn Horcoff+ to Buffalo for Tim Connolly.

Tim Connolly is an excellent hockey player who is stuck behind in Buffalo, but has great skills, he would be an excellent hockey player here. Horcoff is still overrated in hockey circles, I think we could dupe Buffalo here.

Mike Comrie, Brad Isbister/Jani Rita+ if necessary to Minnesota for Marian Gaborik. Lowe signs Gaborik for 4 years, base salary of around $15million, bonuses that make it worth up to $25-28 million.

Jason Smith+(possibly a 2nd rounder and maybe Pisani or prospect) to Tampa Bay for Pavel Kubina.
We need a guy like Kubina, Tampa needs a guy like Jason Smith. Not so likely right now, and there are other players this could be worked out for.

Tommy Salo to any low-ranked team for a 2nd/3rd pick. We can use the pick in the other deals.

Isbister/Jani Rita+ to Buffalo for Martin Biron. Biron is the kind of goalie this team needs, and would make an absolutely perfect bridge to JDD. Also young enough if JDD takes a long time. Buffalo has two excellent younger goalies, and could certainly use a power forward like Isbister, or a top-prospect (still viewed that way by many it seems) in Rita.

Plenty of alternatives including guys like Freddy Modin, Brad Stuart, Pete B., Jani Hurme, many defencemen we could persue, Gaborik however is the goldmine. I'd throw almost anything in to get him on this team. The Buffalo deal could be made a blockbuster if we couldn't get Kubina, by instead acquiring Connolly, Biron, Kalinin and another D-man in exchange for some of the players mentioned in the other deals. Maybe we even make it like that deal with Chi-town a few years ago and take a look at guys like Dumont and Maxim Afinagenov.

Idealistic yes, impossible, I don't happen to think so.

Old
10-30-2003, 02:32 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Okay, Imagine if you will, this Oilers roster:

Forwards

Gaborik($4.5)-Connolly(1.24)-Hemsky($.65)
Dvorak($2.0)-Reasoner($.85)-Smyth($3.45)
Chimera($.5)-Stoll($.625)-York($2.0)
Torres($.8)-Moreau($1.5)-Laraque($1.1)

$19.215 mil

Defence (in no order)

Staios($1.1)-Bergeron($.4)
Brewer($2.5)-Kubina($2.5)
Cross($1.05)-Semenov($.7)

$8.25 mil

Goaltenders

Martin Biron($2.2)
Ty Conklin($.86)

$3.06 mil

TOTAL SALARY: $30.5 million

TRADES:

Shawn Horcoff+ to Buffalo for Tim Connolly.

Tim Connolly is an excellent hockey player who is stuck behind in Buffalo, but has great skills, he would be an excellent hockey player here. Horcoff is still overrated in hockey circles, I think we could dupe Buffalo here.

Mike Comrie, Brad Isbister/Jani Rita+ if necessary to Minnesota for Marian Gaborik. Lowe signs Gaborik for 4 years, base salary of around $15million, bonuses that make it worth up to $25-28 million.

Jason Smith+(possibly a 2nd rounder and maybe Pisani or prospect) to Tampa Bay for Pavel Kubina.
We need a guy like Kubina, Tampa needs a guy like Jason Smith. Not so likely right now, and there are other players this could be worked out for.

Tommy Salo to any low-ranked team for a 2nd/3rd pick. We can use the pick in the other deals.

Isbister/Jani Rita+ to Buffalo for Martin Biron. Biron is the kind of goalie this team needs, and would make an absolutely perfect bridge to JDD. Also young enough if JDD takes a long time.

Plenty of alternatives including guys like Freddy Modin, Brad Stuart, Pete B., Jani Hurme, many defencemen we could persue, Gaborik however is the goldmine. I'd throw almost anything in to get him on this team. The Buffalo deal could be made a blockbuster if we couldn't get Kubina, by instead acquiring Connolly, Biron, Kalinin and another D-man in exchange for some of the players mentioned in the other deals.

Your title is more acurate then your closing sentence. These moves wouldn't be that simple. I also think that we could do better then Kubina for Smith. Smith is probably our best defensive Dman. He's our man in front of the net and all that kind of stuff. I don't mind Kubina, but I think your over-rating him.

Old
10-30-2003, 02:38 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Your title is more acurate then your closing sentence. These moves wouldn't be that simple. I also think that we could do better then Kubina for Smith. Smith is probably our best defensive Dman. He's our man in front of the net and all that kind of stuff. I don't mind Kubina, but I think your over-rating him.
Of course it wouldn't be that simple, but hey, that's the point of playin GM from this point

(BTW if you wanna help out my campaign to become the Oilers new GM, dial 1-800-LMH-F4GM...)

Kubina I happen to think is an absolutely excellent balanced defenceman who would really fit in well here, if we could do better of course do it, but I happen to think he works.

How bout that payroll though huh? That's bang for the buck right there.

Old
10-30-2003, 02:41 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Of course it wouldn't be that simple, but hey, that's the point of playin GM from this point

(BTW if you wanna help out my campaign to become the Oilers new GM, dial 1-800-LMH-F4GM...)

Kubina I happen to think is an absolutely excellent balanced defenceman who would really fit in well here, if we could do better of course do it, but I happen to think he works.

How bout that payroll though huh? That's bang for the buck right there.
Sorry it took so long to reply, I was calling 1-800-LMH-F4GM.

But anyways yes thats bang for your buck, but I don't know who would be interested in Tommy with his numbers and salary at this point.

Old
10-30-2003, 02:45 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Sorry it took so long to reply, I was calling 1-800-LMH-F4GM.
Attaboy!

Old
10-30-2003, 03:46 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1Plenty of alternatives including guys like Freddy Modin, Brad Stuart, Pete B., Jani Hurme, many defencemen we could persue, Gaborik however is the goldmine. I'd throw almost anything in to get him on this team. The Buffalo deal could be made a blockbuster if we couldn't get Kubina, by instead acquiring Connolly, Biron, Kalinin and another D-man in exchange for some of the players mentioned in the other deals. Maybe we even make it like that deal with Chi-town a few years ago and take a look at guys like Dumont and Maxim Afinagenov.

Would the lightning go for smith+moreau for modin? he would look damn good here

Old
10-30-2003, 04:49 PM
windowlicker

i think the biggest obstacle would be getting gaborik. i mean value-wise, that deal is fair, but isnt marian as near to god-like as a player can be in minnesota? i have a feeling risebrough knows if he trades him, and he signs here for 4.2-4.5mil/3 years, even though the wild get comrie, he might be run out of town.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:02 PM
Mizral

Word is, Gaborik wants $6+ million a year..

While I think he could be traded, the Oilers are probobly not a likely destination.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:15 PM
Allan

Gaborik is now asking for $13.5 million over 3 years, which averages $4.5 million per year, which isn't as unaffordable, considering the Oilers paid Comrie that much last year.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/shown...ntent=s102753A

Old
10-30-2003, 06:41 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Word is, Gaborik wants $6+ million a year..

While I think he could be traded, the Oilers are probobly not a likely destination.
Gaborik originally asked for 6.5, but has already said that he only wants to make what he made last year (which is around $4mil).

Old
10-30-2003, 08:07 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
Would the lightning go for smith+moreau for modin? he would look damn good here
Good God man! Moreau is going no where unless we get a real good asset. Modin would only add 10-15 more points, and losing Moreau's leadership, heart, grit, and great defense and PK abilities would be brutal for the team!

Old
10-30-2003, 10:38 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Mike Comrie, Brad Isbister/Jani Rita+ if necessary to Minnesota for Marian Gaborik.

Isbister/Jani Rita+ to Buffalo for Martin Biron.
This GM stuff is easy when you have a cloning device, eh?

Old
10-30-2003, 10:39 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
This GM stuff is easy when you have a cloning device, eh?
/ is meant to mean OR of course Digger. Unless of course I've secretly cloned Brad and Jani.

Coming soon, when I take over, the all-Ales line.....

Old
10-30-2003, 10:49 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
dam i better renew my season tickets rights now...

Old
10-30-2003, 10:51 PM
wendy_bird

Quote:
/ is meant to mean OR of course Digger. Unless of course I've secretly cloned Brad and Jani.

Well just make sure one of the 3 knows how to shoot...or the whole game would be passing, passing, passing, passing, shooo...pass.
And for some odd reason your 1-800 number connects me to China

Old
10-30-2003, 10:52 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
dam i better renew my season tickets rights now...
No need for that, the assistant GM doesn't need to pay for tix

Old
10-30-2003, 10:55 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy_bird
Well just make sure one of the 3 knows how to shoot...or the whole game would be passing, passing, passing, passing, shooo...pass.
And for some odd reason your 1-800 number connects me to China
Damn, have to check with the technical experts on that one I guess, that number's been on fire all day! Although we did have a couple guys who seemed to think we were havin refridgerator problems, and this one dude was lookin for Hugh Jass

In the meantime, try our other popular #, 1-800-CAN-MACT. Just about as many people callin in, but still takin suggestions for the replacement coach....

Old
10-30-2003, 11:00 PM
Digger12

Quote:

I know, just messin' with ya.

As for an all-Ales line, wouldn't you need more than one puck on the ice?

Old
10-30-2003, 11:02 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I know, just messin' with ya.

As for an all-Ales line, wouldn't you need more than one puck on the ice?
Oh no, but the puck would be moving around so fast we might need some sorta funky laser system to be able to follow it...but that'd just be nutty now wouldn't it??? No one would ever think to do that.....

Old
10-31-2003, 07:22 AM
camboy

Awesome proposal LMH#1. If the Oilers could pull off any of those deals you mention....I would be happy. I like the Smith and 2nd for Kubina the best...although Connelly for Horcoff is a beaut! Considering your Gabrolik idea is very unlikely, how about a deal involving Comrie for Jeff O' Neill or maybe getting Gagne out of Philly???
Although...Gabrolik in an Oiler jersey would be so sweet. The Canucks(and their fans) would cry.

Old
10-31-2003, 01:26 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy
Awesome proposal LMH#1. If the Oilers could pull off any of those deals you mention....I would be happy. I like the Smith and 2nd for Kubina the best...although Connelly for Horcoff is a beaut! Considering your Gabrolik idea is very unlikely, how about a deal involving Comrie for Jeff O' Neill or maybe getting Gagne out of Philly???
Although...Gabrolik in an Oiler jersey would be so sweet. The Canucks(and their fans) would cry.
Well, I guess that dream is over, oh well, no Gabs on the Oilers. O'Neill or Gagne would be nice, but they just aren't in the same category as Gabs. Now I come back to my first option, sit Comrie down, and get him signed. NOW.

Old
10-31-2003, 02:15 PM
camboy

Quote:
Well, I guess that dream is over, oh well, no Gabs on the Oilers. O'Neill or Gagne would be nice, but they just aren't in the same category as Gabs. Now I come back to my first option, sit Comrie down, and get him signed. NOW.
Yeah...the dream is over. I agree, the best option is to get Comrie back into an Oiler uniform. I still like the Kubina for Smith deal though......

Closed Thread