HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Springfield Falcons/Evansville Icemen Thread III (All Affiliate talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Matt

vCash: 500
How about that from the NHL to the ECHL in less than a week.

Old
11-18-2011, 09:12 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Atkinson with two goals now... call him I would like to see him in the line with Carter and Nash.

Old
11-18-2011, 09:30 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

What I'd LIKE to see is Mason being sent down. If he'd have to clear waivers, that's okay by me!

Old
11-18-2011, 09:30 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Atkinson with two goals now... call him I would like to see him in the line with Carter and Nash.
Definitely a better fit than Umberger.

Old
11-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Definitely a better fit than Umberger.
I would probably be a better fit than Umberger. The reasoning was:
1. He's got to get his offense going.
2. Carter benefits from people banging in rebounds. That'd be Umberger.
3. Umberger screens the goaltender.

Problem is, their cycle and passing is VERY poor right now. It's either Nash or Carter trying to dangle out the defense and score by themselves (when Nash doesn't miss empty nets that is).

---

I'm very surprised by York's reassignment. I thought he looked strong last season and preseason. Guess there's no room between Mason, Dekanich, Sanford, and Taylor (not to mention Legace).

Old
11-18-2011, 11:04 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Interesting. He does have 7 goals here, 5 of which were on the power play with Giroux on the other wing and St.Pierre feeding him. Unfortunately NHL defensemen and goalies are a bit better than what he's facing here. Why not let things play out a bit here before canonizing this player.

Last edited by scoob4093: 11-18-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old
11-18-2011, 11:28 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I would probably be a better fit than Umberger. The reasoning was:
1. He's got to get his offense going.
2. Carter benefits from people banging in rebounds. That'd be Umberger.
3. Umberger screens the goaltender.

Problem is, their cycle and passing is VERY poor right now. It's either Nash or Carter trying to dangle out the defense and score by themselves (when Nash doesn't miss empty nets that is).

---

I'm very surprised by York's reassignment. I thought he looked strong last season and preseason. Guess there's no room between Mason, Dekanich, Sanford, and Taylor (not to mention Legace).
You just made the case for Kubalik.

Old
11-19-2011, 03:13 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob4093 View Post
Interesting. He does have 7 goals here, 5 of which were on the power play with Giroux on the other wing and St.Pierre feeding him. Unfortunately NHL defensemen and goalies are a bit better than what he's facing here. Why not let things play out a bit here before canonizing this player.
He played good here too. Plus Umberger is incredible... but not in good.

Or simply put Calvert to the first line and Umberger to the fourth line.

Calvert--Carter--Nash
Umberger--MacKenzie--Boll

Old
11-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Matt

Negative with Atkinson and Kubalik is they have a winning attitudes and that would be a cancer in the Jacket's locker room.

Old
11-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Negative with Atkinson and Kubalik is they have a winning attitudes and that would be a cancer in the Jacket's locker room.
I have to admit, I laughed pretty hard at that.

It's really a shame things are so bad in Columbus. I think Cam playing well, but Scoob has it right. Give him time to develop. To rush him into the NHL makes no sense. Possibly ruin the future for no good reason. Sorry but Cam is not going to fix the team this season, so to me it would not make a ton of sense to not let him get better here in the AHL.

Kubalik needs time to get back to playing 100% after the injury. He's close, got the game rust off this past week. Again, same situation. Just let them develop, unless they play so overly well that it makes no sense to keep them in the AHL.

Old
11-19-2011, 09:22 PM
JacketsFanWest

I'm watching the scoresheet for the Chicago Express game so I'm not sure what happened. But Paul Dainton just went in for Allen York.

http://www.echl.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=8929

Edit: York's back in now.

Edit 2: York ends the game with a win, 38 saves, 1.05 GAA and 97.4% save percentage. He was the 1st Star. The opposing goalie was Nashville's prospect Chet Pickard.

Last edited by JacketsFanWest: 11-19-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old
11-20-2011, 02:45 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
I'm watching the scoresheet for the Chicago Express game so I'm not sure what happened. But Paul Dainton just went in for Allen York.

http://www.echl.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=8929

Edit: York's back in now.

Edit 2: York ends the game with a win, 38 saves, 1.05 GAA and 97.4% save percentage. He was the 1st Star. The opposing goalie was Nashville's prospect Chet Pickard.
I was at the game, and can honestly say that York was standing on his head at several points throughout. He just had a beast mode game, that's all that really can be said about what he did.

And he was taken out briefly because I think he was having some type of equipment issue. Don't think his replacement even faced a shot when York was out.

As for Nashville's prospect, his numbers are deceptive.... he actually had an even worse night than you'd think. He only made ten saves on twelve shots, but at least four or five additional shots hit iron (including two consecutive dings on the power play before the Express finally scored), so really he was beat even more than his numbers would indicate. And the eventual game-winning goal was entirely his fault, as it came from a really bad puck playing decision he made behind the net and his slow reaction getting back in the crease following his practical gift to the Express.

Last edited by No Fun Shogun: 11-20-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old
11-20-2011, 04:52 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Great boy....

Old
11-20-2011, 04:53 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl2748 View Post
I have to admit, I laughed pretty hard at that.

It's really a shame things are so bad in Columbus. I think Cam playing well, but Scoob has it right. Give him time to develop. To rush him into the NHL makes no sense. Possibly ruin the future for no good reason. Sorry but Cam is not going to fix the team this season, so to me it would not make a ton of sense to not let him get better here in the AHL.

Kubalik needs time to get back to playing 100% after the injury. He's close, got the game rust off this past week. Again, same situation. Just let them develop, unless they play so overly well that it makes no sense to keep them in the AHL.
If it is right so IMO AHL is better for them now.

Old
11-20-2011, 07:53 AM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I was at the game, and can honestly say that York was standing on his head at several points throughout. He just had a beast mode game, that's all that really can be said about what he did.

And he was taken out briefly because I think he was having some type of equipment issue. Don't think his replacement even faced a shot when York was out.

As for Nashville's prospect, his numbers are deceptive.... he actually had an even worse night than you'd think. He only made ten saves on twelve shots, but at least four or five additional shots hit iron (including two consecutive dings on the power play before the Express finally scored), so really he was beat even more than his numbers would indicate. And the eventual game-winning goal was entirely his fault, as it came from a really bad puck playing decision he made behind the net and his slow reaction getting back in the crease following his practical gift to the Express.
Thank you for the perspective, stat sheets can indeed be deceptive. I was pretty mad when I saw York assigned to the ECHL but perhaps it was a good move. If he's there longer than a couple games I'm going to assume it's because Springfield wants to keep both Legace and Taylor while they are winning. Not sure how I feel about that versus York developing in the AHL.

Old
11-20-2011, 04:50 PM
bluegod29

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
Thank you for the perspective, stat sheets can indeed be deceptive. I was pretty mad when I saw York assigned to the ECHL but perhaps it was a good move. If he's there longer than a couple games I'm going to assume it's because Springfield wants to keep both Legace and Taylor while they are winning. Not sure how I feel about that versus York developing in the AHL.
York can develop in the east coast, i know its hard to believe but springfield has the right to want to win games too u know. i know our job is to develop players but its also our job to win games.

Old
11-23-2011, 02:07 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Falcons fans Iwould like to ask whether Falcons does not have free stream, for example Binghampton Senatros have sometimes it is a reason why I saw some games. I would like to see our prospects. Thanks

Old
11-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
Falcons fans Iwould like to ask whether Falcons does not have free stream, for example Binghampton Senatros have sometimes it is a reason why I saw some games. I would like to see our prospects. Thanks
Nope, AHL Live handles all the games, so no free games unless they allow one. You can listen online to the radio feed.

Also, sorry for the lack of posts lately. I will be doing a quick review of the past few weeks and how the guys have been doing in the next couple days when schedule allows. Definitely a roller coaster with some of the guys...And this weekend...0-3, a weekend to forget.

Old
12-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Hockeygirl2748

I will be posting a November review soon. Wanted to start off with a post about the Falcons weekend.

It was another 3-in-3 weekend with the birds going 1-2 on the weekend.

12/2 @ Worcester Sharks

The Falcons opened up on the road in Worcester Friday night. Losing 4-3 in OT. I was not in attendance for the game, but was told goaltender Manny Legace was not stellar in net. OT winner going 5hole. Wade MacLeod opened the scoring at 3:10 of the 1st with assists to Aaron Bogosian & Brett Lebda. Cam Atkinson scored on the PP at 5:25 of the 2nd. Assists to Martin St. Pierre & Alex Giroux. Ryan Russell closed the Falcons scoring at 18:13 of the 2nd. With the only assist going to Brett Lebda.

1 fight

Dane Byers v.s.Sena Acolatse
Ryan Russell & Benn Ferriero also received minors for roughing.

The Falcons had the lead each time they scored, but could not hold the lead and lost at 2:22 of OT.

12/3 v.s. CT Whale

The Falcons lost 6-3 in what was a a bad game and horrible 3rd period.

After a scoreless 1st period in which the Falcons had two 5-on-3′s

Dane Byers opened the scoring at 2:34 of the 2nd period. Assists to Alex Giroux & Nick Holden.

Tim Spencer scored the Falcons 2nd goal of the game at 5:00 of the 2nd period. Screened Whale goalie Chad Johnson and tipped it in. Assists to Wade MacLeod & Ryan Garlock.

Dane Byers scored his 2nd of the game at 2:17 of the 3rd period. Looked like a redirection from my viewpoint of Matt Calvert’s shot. Assists to Calvert & Brett Lebda.

This is when the wheels flew off. The Falcons allowed 5 PP goals in the 3rd period. 5.

Former Falcon Andre Deveaux scored 2 for the Whale and was part of a play that lead to a major and game misconduct for interference (thought it was a high stick myself) to Adam Mair. A play that I believe may land to Mair being suspended again.

A couple of bright spots in the game were Cam Atkinson and Brent Regner having solid games. Regner was solid on defense. Something that has not happened a lot this season.

A few bad notes…

Allen York looked shakey in net. 5 were PP goals, but he was down alot, leaving the goal open.

Holden had 2 penalties which is very unlike him. Both lead to goals.

Alex Giroux with undisciplined play and a penalty. The rule is, the retaliatory penalty gets caught.

12/4 v.s. Portland Pirates

The Falcons got back to winning, with a 2-1 win.

Dane Byers opened the scoring at 13:25 of the 1st period. A SH breakaway goal. Assist to Andrew Joudrey.

The Falcons scored the GWG at 19:45 of the 2nd. Alex Giroux with assists to Martin St. Pierre & Brett Lebda.

A few notes…

Manny Legace was injured by Brock Trotter with just over 5:00 to go in the 2nd. Legace was down on the ice a few minutes before getting up and staying in for the rest of the period.

Allen York would replace Legace in the 3rd period.

Legace is out with a lower body injury. As of tonight I could not find out the extent of the injury.

Allen York looked to possibly injure his right leg with a few minutes left in the 3rd period. York made a save and when the play was back int he Portland zone, York was still down on one knee. He did get up and was shaking his leg. He stayed in he game since we had no other goaltender available. York looked to be ok postgame, hopefully no injury.

Dalton Prout was also injured in the 3rd period. Lower body injury, to put it gently. Stick to the groin. He was in obvious pain still postgame with a major limp. Get well soon kid.

David Savard has looked bad the past few weeks. Lots of turnovers and his positioning has become a major issue.

Brett Lebda is putting up some good points with assists, needs to pick up his defense to climb from the 3/4 pairing.

Tomas Kubalik seems a bit lost this season. Hate to say it, since he is my fav. Hope he can find his game and put up points soon.

Falcons only taking 2 penalties(both to Kubalik unfortunately) is very refreshing. And killing both. Tiny victories!

A few other notes from the weekend…

Nick Drazenovic missed the weekend’s game with an injury.

Maksim Mayorov returned to the lineup after missing 9 games to injury. He played 2 of the 3 games.

Cam Atkinson has been looking good, great moves and his speed is amazing. Needs to finish more and he will be in the NHL fast.

Cody Goloubef has been steadily improving. Not seeing the glaring mistakes of last season. Not NHL ready by any means, but a good 3/4 AHL d-man.

Also the Falcons released goalie Danny Taylor this week. If you follow me on twitter, you know my thoughts. Happy Danny has landed a contract with another AHL team (Abbotsford Heat) and I wish Danny all best!

Old
12-08-2011, 07:28 PM
JacketsFanWest

I have no idea what's going on with the Falcon's goaltending situation:

12/05/2011 Allen York (G) Springfield DEL Reassigned by Columbus (NHL) to Chicago (ECHL)

12/05/2011 Paul Dainton (G) Springfield ADD Recalled from loan to Chicago (ECHL)

York played last night for Chicago making 18 saves on 19 shots. Maybe they just want him to get a game in, but why recall Dainton?

Old
12-09-2011, 07:15 AM
EspenK

Reading the last couple of posts does not give me much hope that help is on the way to Columbus.

Old
12-09-2011, 01:04 PM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
I have no idea what's going on with the Falcon's goaltending situation:

12/05/2011 Allen York (G) Springfield DEL Reassigned by Columbus (NHL) to Chicago (ECHL)

12/05/2011 Paul Dainton (G) Springfield ADD Recalled from loan to Chicago (ECHL)

York played last night for Chicago making 18 saves on 19 shots. Maybe they just want him to get a game in, but why recall Dainton?
To let Craig Patrick get a look at him? Maybe? ??

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
Old
12-09-2011, 01:29 PM
JacketsFanWest

Dainton is signed by the Falcons, not Columbus.

I'm not sure how serious Legace's injury is and how soon Dekanich will be back.

York has barely played this season and getting in a series of starts would be best for him. My guess is that since he struggled, Riley isn't going to play him in Springfield, so he's down in the ECHL.

So far, in 2 games in the ECHL, his GAA is 1.00 and he has like 96.6% save percentage.

If Legace isn't injured, then maybe he gets the starts in Springfield, Dainton rides the pine and York gets to play in Chicago.

Still, it's not in Columbus' best interest since York still is one injury away from being recalled to the NHL again and the ECHL seems beneath him. But once Dekanich is back, if the Falcons keep Legace, York is stuck in the ECHL barring any other injuries.

BTW, the Express play the Cyclones in Cincy on 12/17 and 12/22 and the Walleye in Toledo on 12/27.

Old
12-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Hockeygirl2748

The reason York is in Chicago is to get playing time. I think after last weekend's debacle against CT they decided it was best to get him more playing time since he has not been in many games this season, and practice only keeps you so fresh. So there is no worry about York, it's not a reflection of his performance, just a necessary thing.

And there is no reason to keep starting him here if he's not game ready, Columbus must have agreed.

Old
12-27-2011, 09:22 AM
squarelaces

Does Dex get the start tonight?

Closed Thread