HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Former Ranger and SC Champ Kovalev: NHL is boring

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-18-2011, 10:42 PM
  #26
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,019
vCash: 500
It sucks because the guy had all world talent, but was never motivated enough to put it to use.

That probably explains why he didn't compete all the time. Maybe he thought the competition was weak, or that backchecking and playing defense was not of interest to him.

It really is a shame because he could have really made his mark and left a lasting legacy in the NHL if he had the fire and desire. If he found the NHL boring, then hopefully he enjoys the no-defense KHL league. The competition is so much weaker but at least he doesn't have to backcheck.

__________________
New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:10 PM
  #27
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,093
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
He's not completely wrong.
I disagree. High-level professional hockey is never boring, from my perspective as a fan. PLAYING hockey is never boring. I just don't see it. However, he's entitled to his opinion.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:12 PM
  #28
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,254
vCash: 300
I think he's partially right.

It's kind of a two-way street with this league. Either the game is extremely boring, or it's high-paced, high-chance hockey.

It's the perfect balance, IMO. To some, however, this "boring hockey" is enjoyable. I know I enjoy myself a defensively structured 1-0 game, if only from a technical aspect.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:14 PM
  #29
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
I think he's partially right.

It's kind of a two-way street with this league. Either the game is extremely boring, or it's high-paced, high-chance hockey.

It's the perfect balance, IMO. To some, however, this "boring hockey" is enjoyable. I know I enjoy myself a defensively structured 1-0 game, if only from a technical aspect.
I don't know how anybody can say goalie duels are boring.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:15 PM
  #30
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,254
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I don't know how anybody can say goalie duels are boring.
Not every 1-0 game is a goalie duel.

Some of them are 15-15 shot games where there is maybe two good chances.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:33 PM
  #31
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,588
vCash: 500
Another gem from OttawaGh0st4


Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:37 AM
  #32
HockeyBurd*
 
HockeyBurd*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I disagree. High-level professional hockey is never boring, from my perspective as a fan. PLAYING hockey is never boring. I just don't see it. However, he's entitled to his opinion.
Of course he is. And if you actually listen to his words, he pretty much stated a few facts about the game today and is saying that it's more "boring" today as an opinion based on those facts. I imagine he means it's not as much fun as it used to be to play hockey in the NHL. It lacks some of the creative aspect on the part of the players. That element is diminished to some extent. And he's not completely wrong. I know plenty of people who agree. Including myself. Of course he's bitter and kind of a ***** anyway. But it's nothing to do with the difference in hockey today. And there surely is a big difference.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 02:08 AM
  #33
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise
 
ChrisKreider20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,313
vCash: 500
can someone explain the endless shift.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 02:50 AM
  #34
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,543
vCash: 500
Nyrfan68- Kovalev took to long shifts. This what at a time when teams went from 1:00-1:20 shifts to 0:40-0:45 shifts like today. Keenan worked hard on it in NY to up the intensity on the ice. And Kovalev struggled some, to be honest not all that much, with it. But let put it like this, he was one of the best on shorten his shifts.

One game, in the 3rd, we were up by a good margin. Kovalev hit the ice, and after his shift Keenan just pointed at him to stay on the ice. After a while the entire bench was envolved, almost pushed him on the ice. He wants long shifts? Let him play till he drops then. Kind of. But alot of fun involved.

Kovalev, not speaking much English, took it as a tremendous sign of confidence -- he got to play almost a whole period !!! (or so the story goes)

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 03:28 AM
  #35
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Kovalev is a tremendous underachiever. He should keep his mouth shut, because he could have been a superstar if he just tried. He isn't completely wrong, though.

I don't mind the defense, personally. It's just the natural evolution of a highly scrutinized and thoroughly coached sport.

However, some teams are not all that fun to watch because they lack elite playmakers. Even one makes a huge difference; the Rangers are not a bad example of this. Teams without them are very boring to watch in the offensive zone. They are capable of producing a few chances a game. They still might have some standout offensive players, but if the team lacks the vision and creativity, it lacks the most important element in generating excitement on offense: passing.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 05:02 AM
  #36
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,149
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Kovalev is a tremendous underachiever. He should keep his mouth shut, because he could have been a superstar if he just tried. He isn't completely wrong, though.

I don't mind the defense, personally. It's just the natural evolution of a highly scrutinized and thoroughly coached sport.

However, some teams are not all that fun to watch because they lack elite playmakers. Even one makes a huge difference; the Rangers are not a bad example of this. Teams without them are very boring to watch in the offensive zone. They are capable of producing a few chances a game. They still might have some standout offensive players, but if the team lacks the vision and creativity, it lacks the most important element in generating excitement on offense: passing.
Only around here can a guy with over 1,000 points a cup and a gold medal can be called an underachiever.


Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 05:50 AM
  #37
fredrikstad
Registered User
 
fredrikstad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fredrikstad, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,163
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
He's not completely right. Sounds like back checking and good defensive positioning are boring to him. I'm also sure he meant "boring compared to the KHL" and not the NHL is boring as the thread title would suggest.
You are spot on. I should have wrote that he meant in compare to KHL

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 06:00 AM
  #38
fredrikstad
Registered User
 
fredrikstad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fredrikstad, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,163
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Of course he is. And if you actually listen to his words, he pretty much stated a few facts about the game today and is saying that it's more "boring" today as an opinion based on those facts. I imagine he means it's not as much fun as it used to be to play hockey in the NHL. It lacks some of the creative aspect on the part of the players. That element is diminished to some extent. And he's not completely wrong. I know plenty of people who agree. Including myself. Of course he's bitter and kind of a ***** anyway. But it's nothing to do with the difference in hockey today. And there surely is a big difference.
Thats the essence of the intervju,the difference between now and then. I`m not that strong in english,so I`m happy you are helping me out here.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 06:13 AM
  #39
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,361
vCash: 500
It's hard as a fan, not playjng in the NHL to objectively critcize his statements as not actually playing then, now or ever makes it hard to understand his perspective.

As a fan, some games are definitely sleep-aids compared to the real nail-biters. However I do not think he is speaking from a watching the game point of view. So who knows, maybe he is right, maybe the pace and play of the KHL is more fun for a guy with the skill set Kovalev has compared to the NHL now.

Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 06:40 AM
  #40
district9
Registered User
 
district9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
the khl is certainly not more interesting than the nhl, but the nhl has definitely taken a step back. basically like everybody else said, these easy penalty calls have made it so nobody can be physical at all. the instigator rule is a joke and ruins the game in a lot of ways.

i wish there was video of kovalev's 8 minute shift. i'm sure it's gotta be out there somewhere. the reason it didn't work as a punishment by the way was that he scored a goal towards the end of it, obviously proving to everybody that he COULD do it.

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 08:19 AM
  #41
Cmox
Registered User
 
Cmox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Queens,NY
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Nyrfan68- Kovalev took to long shifts. This what at a time when teams went from 1:00-1:20 shifts to 0:40-0:45 shifts like today. Keenan worked hard on it in NY to up the intensity on the ice. And Kovalev struggled some, to be honest not all that much, with it. But let put it like this, he was one of the best on shorten his shifts.

One game, in the 3rd, we were up by a good margin. Kovalev hit the ice, and after his shift Keenan just pointed at him to stay on the ice. After a while the entire bench was envolved, almost pushed him on the ice. He wants long shifts? Let him play till he drops then. Kind of. But alot of fun involved.

Kovalev, not speaking much English, took it as a tremendous sign of confidence -- he got to play almost a whole period !!! (or so the story goes)
I remember JD loving every second of this.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 09:40 AM
  #42
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,093
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Of course he is. And if you actually listen to his words, he pretty much stated a few facts about the game today and is saying that it's more "boring" today as an opinion based on those facts. I imagine he means it's not as much fun as it used to be to play hockey in the NHL. It lacks some of the creative aspect on the part of the players. That element is diminished to some extent. And he's not completely wrong. I know plenty of people who agree. Including myself. Of course he's bitter and kind of a ***** anyway. But it's nothing to do with the difference in hockey today. And there surely is a big difference.
I don't dispute that there's a significant difference between the NHL today and the NHL 25 years ago. I just take issue with the word "boring" being used as a descriptor. Again though, it's just my opinion.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 10:05 AM
  #43
Johnny Hotrox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I don't dispute that there's a significant difference between the NHL today and the NHL 25 years ago. I just take issue with the word "boring" being used as a descriptor. Again though, it's just my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Only around here can a guy with over 1,000 points a cup and a gold medal can be called an underachiever.

Don't forget 100 playoff points as well. I still love the NHL, but not as much as I used to.

Johnny Hotrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 10:09 AM
  #44
kovazub94
Registered User
 
kovazub94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I don't dispute that there's a significant difference between the NHL today and the NHL 25 years ago. I just take issue with the word "boring" being used as a descriptor. Again though, it's just my opinion.
The way I see it - first expansion definitely did not help and also the increased size and average speed of all players (including less skilled). That's why I love watching 4 on 4 hockey these days - there is a lot more room to be creative on your own and with teammates. I don't think this ever be addressed properly - NHLPA will never go for less players on the ice, owners will never go for either bigger ice surface or contraction

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:00 AM
  #45
Jonimaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lund
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
I think he is. It's a player who can't hack it in the NHL anymore complaining about it.

You don't see Jagr complaining about the NHL being boring, you see him tearing it up on the first line of a competitive NHL team.
So because he's a player who can't hack it in NHL anymore, he's wrong?

He has some points.

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:30 PM
  #46
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,855
vCash: 500
Its entirely subjective. I think a good defensive game can be exciting and the idea that team defense kills creativity is BS to me. It makes it harder to be creative maybe but the best players find a way and thats what makes them the best and what makes their play so exciting. Kovalev has shown throughout most of his career that the defensive side of the game doesn't interest him so it would make sense that the new, more defensive style bores him. I wonder what a older, elite, two-way player, like Datsyuk for example, would have to say about this. Is it something generally agreed upon or is it due to Kovalev's disinterest in defense?

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:22 PM
  #47
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Only around here can a guy with over 1,000 points a cup and a gold medal can be called an underachiever.

I'm pretty sure that Kovalev is an underachiever in any hockey circles. Having 1,000 points and a Cup doesn't change the fact that he could have had a lot more if he just applied himself. He's one of the most talented and skilled offensive playmakers ever.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 02:03 PM
  #48
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,624
vCash: 500
Without Kovalev, no Cup for the Rangers. That is an indisputable assessment.

Besides that, people saying he underachieved believe so because his game appeared effortless, not because he wasn't putting in the effort. He looked so gifted that people expected more. What he was, was a near great hockey player, but some here still have a problem with him.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 03:42 PM
  #49
Lex444
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
That 6 minute shift... he thought Keenan was rewarding him, not teaching him a lesson. Totally backfired.

He kept on taking 2 minute shifts on a regular basis like he did before this Keenan incident. It took him years to figure out that NHLers don't do 2 minute shifts every time they go on the ice.

I might be totally way off here but...i think this is an urban legend. I remember watching all the games back then and never remember this happening. Now MSG mentions it from time to time, but it is never accompanied with a video clip. When they show every little quirky thing that has happened from the guys that played on the Cup team to leave something like this out is suspect. I dont even need to see the whole shift, how about Kovalev skating to the bench and being turned away by Keenan.

Lex444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 04:10 PM
  #50
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,666
vCash: 500
He's partially right, although I wouldn't go as far as to say boring. Teams are slowly finding new ways to cancel out skill. Either through thuggery (Boston) or defensive systems

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.