HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Least impressive roster for a Stanley Cup Finalist

Old
11-11-2011, 11:05 AM
tjcurrie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Francis, Irbe, Brind'Amour. Wasnt THAT bad.
After Francis and Brind'Amour, pretty slim pickins.

Seriously, compare them to every other finalist and theyre near the bottom. Whether theyre in the bottom two Im not sure but theyre down in the bottom few.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 02:51 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Torres-Stoll-Samsonov
Moreau-Peca-Pisani
Harvey/Laraque-Murray-Dvorak

Pronger-Smith
Staios-Spacek
Greene-Tarnstrom

Roloson

Anyone saying the 06 Oilers is looking at the 8th place finish and not the roster that they went into the playoffs with. They got themselves into eigth with atrocious goaltending and uninspired regular season performances from Peca and Pronger.

That lineup however, while perhaps lacking a standout offensive star, was two lines deep with two-way 20 goal-scorers. And you won't find too many checking lines better than that third-line. The defense perhaps lacks depth (that third pairing isn't pretty) but the top four is strong. And then there's Pronger.

I think a poster above has made an excellent (and correct) argument for the Canucks.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutbar View Post
Gradin and Hlinka? Not hall of famers but both had highly respectable careers.

And if beating the Triple Crown-era Kings was easy, how come Edmonton couldn't do it?
Well its debatable, but there you go right there, maybe their best player WAS Gradin. What does that tell you? As for the Triple Crown Kings, well, there is a reason 1982 is a monumental upset against the Oilers. That stuff just didn't happen. And the Kings lacked depth, almost everyone beat them in the playoffs.

1982 was just one of those upset years where a team slides through the cracks. 1993, 1998, 2004 were all like that as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post
Bondra and Oates were at 11th and 13th that year in points. I'm not saying they were a superb team, but compared to some of the other teams being discussed here, there were a couple players one could legitimately call "stars."

And almost all the teams being discussed here got in on team defence and goaltending. It's the only way these teams get anywhere in the playoffs.
Right. Oates led the NHL in assists twice after 1998 so it isn't as if he was finished. We forget that Oates aged fairly well. Bondra was not a playoff warrior, but he did have a 52 goal season in 1998 leading the entire NHL. Washington was 8th overall in points so there have been worse teams in there. Kolzig was certainly among the best in the NHL at that time too. Probably a team that shouldn't have been there, but not the worst. They caught a break with two things - first the Flyers, Devils and Penguins all went out in the first round. Secondly, the dreaded crease rule probably helped them win a playoff series against Boston when an overtime goal was called back. Playing Boston, Ottawa and Buffalo was not intimidating at all however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
None of them are wingers. I look at the group of wingers and chuckle to myself.
Yeah they were weak there for sure. Kunitz, Satan, Fedotenko, Guerin, Dupuis, Sykora etc. shouldn't be your best wingers. But they were adequate enough. When you have Crosby and Malkin as your centers, those wingers don't look too bad though. The Pens were just a very top end talent team with less depth than normal. Hard to put them on this list when they have up to 4 HHOFers on that team, possibly

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 05:30 PM
reckoning

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 1991 Minnesota North Stars. Finished 16th out of 21 teams. 12 games under .500. Probably the worst team to make the Final in the modern era.

But they earned their way there at playoff time, beating the #1 team, the #2 team, and the defending champions to get to the Final. They didn't get the easy route that Vancouver got in '82.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66871
With all due resspect to Phil Esposito: how about the 78-79 Rangers?
An interesting choice, but they were a fairly good team. Hedberg, Nilsson, Duguay, Greschner, Vickers, the Maloneys, Davidson, an aging Esposito. Maybe not many great players, but a lot of very good ones. Plus they had an elite coach in Fred Shero; a master strategist who could get a team to achieve more than the sum of their parts would suggest.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 05:49 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 1991 Minnesota North Stars.
Their roster WAS impressive!!!! A team loaded with talent that had a subpar regular season. I know, because I drafted EIGHT (8) of them in a hockey pool for that playoffs. As the 21st guy to join a 20-participant draft, I was late and picked up crumbs, finishing 2nd!!!

20 guys in a 20-player draft ignored that squad, thinking they'd get bumped out first round. I picked up Gagne, Modano, Bellows, Broten, Dahlen, Smith, Tinordi, Duchesne, all are all-time draft greats! (ATD and MLD) Gawd was I a North Stars fan! Not traditionally, but because of the guys they had and how they played. I liked Curt Giles too.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 12:20 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 1991 Minnesota North Stars. Finished 16th out of 21 teams. 12 games under .500. Probably the worst team to make the Final in the modern era.

But they earned their way there at playoff time, beating the #1 team, the #2 team, and the defending champions to get to the Final. They didn't get the easy route that Vancouver got in '82.

An interesting choice, but they were a fairly good team. Hedberg, Nilsson, Duguay, Greschner, Vickers, the Maloneys, Davidson, an aging Esposito. Maybe not many great players, but a lot of very good ones. Plus they had an elite coach in Fred Shero; a master strategist who could get a team to achieve more than the sum of their parts would suggest.
Yeah as bad as they were for the first 3/4 of the regular season, they had a fairly decent looking roster. At least up front: Modano, Gagner, Propp, Smith, Bellows, Broten, Dahlen. Nothing unimpressive about that really. Even though Modano was just a kid and Smith was past his prime. The back end wasnt as impressive, though solid. Tinordi, Giles, Wilkinson, Chambers, Glynn, Johnson, Dahlquist. And Casey was a pretty good goalie, that year anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Their roster WAS impressive!!!! A team loaded with talent that had a subpar regular season. I know, because I drafted EIGHT (8) of them in a hockey pool for that playoffs. As the 21st guy to join a 20-participant draft, I was late and picked up crumbs, finishing 2nd!!!

20 guys in a 20-player draft ignored that squad, thinking they'd get bumped out first round. I picked up Gagne, Modano, Bellows, Broten, Dahlen, Smith, Tinordi, Duchesne, all are all-time draft greats! (ATD and MLD) Gawd was I a North Stars fan! Not traditionally, but because of the guys they had and how they played. I liked Curt Giles too.
Props to you sir ! I was the happiest 12 year old on the planet during that run. And Giles was my favorite player before Modano. Heres my first ever North Stars jersey in fact. My Grandparents searched all over Winnipeg for it. No name but they got the number put on it.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Midnight Oil

I would go with the 1996 Florida Panthers.

Midnight Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Ed Wood

1982 Canucks and 1996 Panthers. No HOF candidates on either team. Noone on either team ever made a post season all-star team.

Edit: Forgot about Vanbiesbrouck's two post season all-star selections. I stand corrected

Last edited by Ed Wood: 11-16-2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: factual error
Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:44 PM
Intact

Personally I was not impressed with the 1994 Canucks. I am probably just bitter because also think the 99 Sabres, 02 Canes, and 93 Kings weren't anything special either. What they have in common? They all beat the Leafs in the conference final, and then lost in the finals.

Intact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 12:01 AM
nik jr

finalists with losing records

'37 NYR
'38 chicago
'39 TML
'42 DRW
'44 chicago
'49 TML *
'50 NYR
'51 habs
'53 bruins
'58 bruins
'59 TML
'61 DRW

'68 STL
'82 vancouver
'91 minnesota

i would probably pick '82 vancouver.

* '49 TML had a losing record and were -14, but swept 1st place DRW in finals. almost certainly the only dynasty team that had a losing record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
1982 Canucks and 1996 Panthers. No HOF candidates on either team. Noone on either team ever made a post season all-star team.
vanbiesbrouck was 1st AS in '86 and 2nd AS in '94.

i don't think panthers belong with '82 vancouver. panthers had 7th best record in '96. not very talented on paper, but generally played well as a team.

Last edited by nik jr: 11-15-2011 at 05:22 PM.
nik jr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 07:08 AM
GuineaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
Vanbiesbrouck should be a HHOFer.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
The 1996 Panthers. Aside from Mellanby, Barnes, Svehla and Vanbiesbrouck that roster was a bunch of Who's That's?
Agree. (but who are Mellanby, Barnes, Svehla and Vanbiesbrouck?)

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2011, 06:28 PM
nutbar

Quote:
That wasn't even the worst North Stars team in the finals, imo. Look at the roster they had a decade earlier. (The OP asked about a team's roster not their regular season performance).

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:25 AM
TAnnala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
Not really the best answer or even a good answer, but the 09 Pens are kind of funny when you ignore their 2 best players. Old man Guerin, Chris Kunitz and Max Talbot carried us to victory. >_>
I almost got mad at you and started looking at Penguins roster for that season. And found out you were right.

They actually had two amazing players with amazing seasons. Regular and Postseasons. Otherwise, it was pretty medicore.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:31 AM
Jinsell

Yeah the 1990-91 Minnesota North Stars roster is too impressive for consideration here. Gagner, Bellows, Broten, and Modano were all great players in the NHL at the time. Propp revitalized and extended his career for a few years by going to Minnesota. Smith may have been past his prime, but he brought solid leadership to the North Stars' young locker room.

Hell, even their depth players had a lot of heart, skill, and character and showed it during that '91 Cup Run. Gaetan Duchesne and Stewart Gavin were great checking line players who kept Brett Hull off the scoresheet during the St. Louis series. Basil McRae and Shane Churla brought toughness. Rookies like Mike Craig and Marc Bureau also played their best hockey ever during that spring.

As mentioned above, the blueline was not as impressive but still pretty good. Tinordi was probably the best of the bunch and at the time was considered a rising star in the NHL. Chambers was pretty good too. Giles, Johnson, and Dahlquist were solid stay-at-home guys. Wilkinson and Glynn, though very green, both made names for themselves in the NHL that year.

Between the pipes you had a solid tandem of Casey and Hayward. People seem to forget that Jon Casey was probably one of the better goalies in the NHL at this time. Brian Hayward was also considered one of the best backups in the game then (kind of like Brian Boucher, Ty Conklin, or Scott Clemmensen are seen today).

In retrospect, what's more surprising is how that roster seemed to underachieve during their regular seasons. That being said, the Norris Division was probably the hardest division in the NHL at that time with Chicago, St. Louis, and Detroit all having pretty solid teams.

Jinsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:34 AM
MessierThanThou

1982 Canucks. As someone said, the 2006 Oilers had depth and talent. Hemsky and Horcoff finished with 78 and 74 points, respectively. Ryan Smyth had 36 goals and 66 points and Jarret Stoll had his one great season with 68 points. Bringing in Samsanov, Spacek and Roli really elevated the team. The Oilers struggled without a legit starting goalie for most of the season. Samsanov joined the team when he was still a strong top-six forward and Spacek was a great puck-moving D-man to help Pronger. If they had that team from the beginning of the season, I don't think a top 4 finish in their conference would be out of the question.

And in 81-82, Gretzky had six more goals than the Canucks' leading scorer had points.

MessierThanThou is offline   Reply With Quote