HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eklund Rumours Thread: Enter at your own risk v2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2011, 03:10 PM
hockeyfan2k11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price;39324801[B
]Bottom 6 guys in the NHL are not all 6'2" guys. Not sure where you get that impression.[/B]

Plus if our last 2 lines end up being AK-Eller-DD White/Blunden/Darche-Nokelainen-Moen we won't be lacking in size on the bottom 6 as all those guys are pretty much 6'+ and 200lbs+ other than DD.
Did I say that? Tell me where I said that or even implied that.

DD is 5 feet 6 frigging inches. His style of play is of a top 6. He would be useless anywhere else.

I know how many like to downplay size here, but he's simply too small and weak to play in that role. Jeez

Old
11-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post

DD is 5 feet 6 frigging inches. His style of play is of a top 6. He would be useless anywhere else.

I know how many like to downplay size here, but he's simply too small and weak to play in that role. Jeez
Why would he be useless playing 10 minutes on a 3rd line plus PP and maybe PK time?

Old
11-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:

His play style is heavily skewed to offense. In the modern NHL that doesn't necessarily mean top 6. People who think that are stuck in the past.

Old
11-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Desharnais is our latest Oleg Petrov.
Desharnais reminds me more of Stephan Lebeau, personally.

Old
11-12-2011, 11:18 PM
RE-HABS

Great game by DD, maybe his best this season...Gomez coming back pushed him???

Still, I see the little bugger win so many battles and then make a bad play after the hard battle to no one...with time he will learn.

Old
11-13-2011, 01:02 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
His play style is heavily skewed to offense. In the modern NHL that doesn't necessarily mean top 6. People who think that are stuck in the past.
Absolutely... In today's NHL you typically see the undersized talented kid, playing against the scrubs that some teams still ice, and victimize them for it.

However, I think that by saying top 6 they are accounting for minutes... not actually the guy who ices the second line 5 on 5...

Meaning... DD can play 12 minutes of ES hockey, 4 minutes of pp... 16 minutes a night is second liner minutes...

On a side note...
IMO it's a great x-factor to have (a guy on the lower lines to score) it takes off pressure from the top 2, and helps the teams chances out substancially for wins.

Can DD do the 16-17 minute nights (averaging 17:15 per game)? I think he's doing ok... 10 points (3-7) is not bad numbers for a guy playing 2nd line...

And faceoffs @ 49% he's improved by leaps and bounds over last year.

I swear... DD could put up a 50 point season, and people would still be trying to convince others that he's an AHL scrub, whos little size is problematic...

Desi doesnt quit... Read up on him... He LOVES to hear that he cant do it, just to prove others wrong. After all, he's been doing it all his life.

IMO the best is yet to come for DD... He's going to play better hockey yet before he's finished...

And YES I DO think DD CAN hit 50 points... I think he may even entertain the idea this year... I'll wait and see though

And as for replacing Gomez... Personally, I love to hear Gomez talk... watching him play is harder and harder lately... I want him to start burying the puck so badly... Just even for himself now (he's gotta be feeling pretty low by now.. .even with the millions, that would bug the crap outta me)... Maybe it is time to ship him out.
Scott's got a lot of friends in management in Hockey... I am sure one of them will take a flyer on him.. Esp. seeing as his salary decreases after this year, he starts becoming more valuable to the owners eyes.

Wasn't Gomez going twice now?
The Isle was interested in the summer... and Phoenix had a deal on the table last deadline.

I dont think Gauthier has it as tough to get rid of him as some would suspect...
He just may not be able to do a player for player trade... it might be player for pick (due to the addl 7.5 this year) and maybe this trade deadline, he may be actually worth MORE (than last year I mean).

I hate giving up on guys though, and have to admit... I do HOPE Gomez can turn it around playing for us... Because a reinvigorated Gomez heading in to playoff time, could be something interesting for us

Old
11-13-2011, 01:50 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
He's been playing top 6 minutes for quite some time now. You really think Pacioretty, Cole and Cam are 3rd line players?

Like I said, He's not a legit centerman. I don't care how many points he gets on the PP.

Old
11-13-2011, 03:17 AM
Mike8

Quote:
He's been playing top 6 minutes for quite some time now. You really think Pacioretty, Cole and Cam are 3rd line players?

Like I said, He's not a legit centerman. I don't care how many points he gets on the PP.
I think the point was more that the notion of there being a top-six for offense, while the bottom-six are grinders/defensive players is a dated concept. Rather, most teams in today's NHL have three offensive lines and one energy line. (And, in fact, increasingly teams are using their 4th lines as youth lines--something Detroit has done on and off for awhile now)

All of this is to say that Desharnais can easily play an offensive role from the bottom-6.

Old
11-13-2011, 07:24 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I think the point was more that the notion of there being a top-six for offense, while the bottom-six are grinders/defensive players is a dated concept. Rather, most teams in today's NHL have three offensive lines and one energy line. (And, in fact, increasingly teams are using their 4th lines as youth lines--something Detroit has done on and off for awhile now)

All of this is to say that Desharnais can easily play an offensive role from the bottom-6.
Regardless, 3 scoring lines or 2, I don't like him as a centerman on this team.

Old
11-13-2011, 07:50 AM
onice

Quote:
Regardless, 3 scoring lines or 2, I don't like him as a centerman on this team.
Between Cole & Patches, he's fine. Besides I prefer him to Gomez.

Old
11-13-2011, 07:58 AM
BBrowser

Where are the rumors with links? Is this a "I am the GM thread"? JUst wondrering so I stop getting excited every time it gets bumped.

Old
11-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
That would be funny, because a lot of people wanted him to get drafted by the Habs to play with Latendresse, he was his line-mate in junior!

Just for fun, what would you offer Columbus to get him?
Honestly i have no idea...obviously they have a tremendous need for a steady goaltender, but we don't have one to offer.

They could probably also use some help on D, they get very little offensive from the back end so i'm guessing we could start with Yannick Weber, but we would surely need to add to the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
But that's the whole point... By accounts, Petrov DOES have a spot in a top 6 capacity on a poor team, and top 9 on a good one... He was very underrated apparently, because he had a complete game, and was doing it in the OLD NHL... In the new NHL, it was built for Oleg... IMO he would be a shoe in top 6, and arguably for a contender even...

The guy in his prime here, had 42 goals in 2 years... IMO If he returned in the season after 03-04... He would have played top 2 on most teams, simply because his elusiveness and wheels would have driven the defence nuts... How many interference plays would have been called on players defending Oleg? lol
I think you are really overrating him here.

He scored some goals over a 2 year stretch playing lots of minutes on a terrible team. Look at the history of the league, lots of very mediocre players have had 1-2 decent years playing for scrub teams.

Petrov was not without his merits, but when it comes down to it I will just always see him as an player with great wheels, a size deficiency, and a terrible shot who occasionally made things exciting for an otherwise dull and below average hockey club.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 11-13-2011 at 08:54 AM. Reason: merge
Old
11-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrowser View Post
Where are the rumors with links? Is this a "I am the GM thread"? JUst wondrering so I stop getting excited every time it gets bumped.
We're talking about Gomez' potential departure as per E Engels...

The rumour is there, some are trying to decipher if it's warranted or not.

Old
11-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Frank Doby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
We're talking about Gomez' potential departure as per E Engels...

The rumour is there, some are trying to decipher if it's warranted or not.
Eklund is mentioning Jeff Carter in Montréal todey.

Old
11-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

He's been in Columbus for twelve minutes.

Old
11-19-2011, 10:28 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Doby View Post
Eklund is mentioning Jeff Carter is à possibilité in Montréal todey.
What a dream that would be. Unless Subban, Price, Max are going the other way, this isn't happening.

Old
11-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
He's been in Columbus for twelve minutes.
One minute for every year left on his contract

Old
11-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Frank Doby

Yes maybe dreaming

Old
11-19-2011, 10:33 AM
shutehinside

He's probably picking up on the fact Columbus wanted Gomez way back when and Montreal wants to get rid of him.
After that I'm sure it fairly baseless as EVERYONE involved in Columbus ALL say he's not going anywhere. Besides, he just stated playing for them after his injury. Jeeze, give it some time already.

Old
11-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Frank Doby

I would accept Jeff Carter anytime. However the price is high. Maybe a first round pick plus a Louis Leblanc?

Old
11-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

1st plus Cammalleri would be my offer

I'd probably throw in another prospect and/or a second round pick.

Old
11-19-2011, 11:23 AM
MJN79

I would be for trading Cammalleri if a guy like Carter comes our way but think of this for a second, his cap hit will be around 5.3 million dollars until 2022, its a decent hit for a guy like him but its a damn long contract.

If Carter gets traded, the Kings would be probably a team able to give better assets than the Habs, I know I am repeating what Ek is saying but on that part he is right.

I have a feeling the guy the Habs are going for is Iginla, no clue why I say this but its my gut feeling. I am kind of hesitant on deciding if I would be happy if he ever comes here, 2 years ago I would have been ecstatic.

Old
11-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Frank Doby

Iginla over Carter? Not a bad idea. Better leadership coming from Iginla.

I agree that salary cap is an issue. Only way would be to send gomez at Hamilton.

Old
11-19-2011, 11:36 AM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

I would like to see the Habs make a big splash in the trading market for once..

Sometimes you have to take a risk to be rewarded..

Send Gomez to the minors.. Keep Cammalleri, trading him is nonsense.

Aside from that, do what you have to do to get J. Carter..

2 first round picks, a player and a prospect. Let's be honest, first round picks are highly overrated. Other than the odd time, our first rounders usually turn out to be useless.

Old
11-19-2011, 11:42 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
1st plus Cammalleri would be my offer

I'd probably throw in another prospect and/or a second round pick.
Cams a 1st and Tinordi for Carter.

Closed Thread