HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jacques Martin rides CH roller coaster

Old
11-19-2011, 02:23 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

vCash: 500
Jacques Martin rides CH roller coaster

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...620/story.html

Quote:
“The best part of this job is dealing with different issues every day,” Martin said. “It’s working with young people in a young environment, managing support staff, managing the media.

“The toughest part?”

The long, silent pause was deafening.

“Dealing with people who don’t have the same philosophy or commitment. People who wear the uniform. …On a team, you’ll have people who like you as a coach, those who don’t care and others who don’t like you. You just want to get the best out of people.”

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...#ixzz1e8bMsWgY

Quote:
“I like to consider that I’m a hard worker, I’m committed, I’m engaged, I’m a good organization man, and I want to make my decisions according to hockey, not according to what’s being said outside,” he said.

“You can’t have a clear mind if you listen to the outside. I do my job and when (the Canadiens) are not happy any more, they’ll fire me. I don’t worry about those things. It’s not healthy and I have no control over it.”

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...#ixzz1e8c3BAEc

Last edited by Habaneros: 11-19-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 04:57 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
ok. nothing wrong with what he said.

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 05:20 AM
habsjunkie2*

Agreed, this mgiht be a little out there and is nothing more than speculation, but could he be referring to Gomez here, Gomez in one of his interviews posted somewhere on this forum seemed discouraged and referenced being juggled around, he said 5 or 6 times that he was playing with different linemates ect. That chances were there and that they just didn't capitalize.

Maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there, but it's the first thing that popped into my head. If it's gomez he's referring to, I agree with him and maybe removing him from the roster needs to be done sooner than later.

I can't imagine where the habs fan base would be if AK gave an interview like that, they would be wanting his head, even though he produces at a rate much greater than gomer.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 05:21 AM
habsjunkie2*

Maybe it's a subtle way of telling PG to get this guy out of here, maybe it's nothing at all. JM is weird with his responses sometimes and it's easy to look into them a little too deep.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 06:40 AM
MrNasty

I don't think he is referring to Gomez...I don't see him as guy that doesn't love what he does. I think he is referring to the Kostitsyns of the league. Guys that we complain about the Habs training because they feel they are better than the team. Gomez is on the line juggle because Desharnais has better chemistry with Cole and Patches. Great article.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 09:14 AM
dcyhabs

Carbonneau had a similar attitude. I think both are going to have to deal with the fact that there are talented players who can help the team who are not completely committed. Sergei at 80% will contribute more than Darche at 99%, deal with it. Pyatt may give everything he's got, but he still won't score.

A coach may have a philosophy (e.g. valuing effort and experience over talent) but should still know when to compromise the overall philosophy to win games and maintain player value. If you run someone out of town for their attitude the GM is not going to get anyone back. Trading players for nothing does not improve a coaches career win/loss category.

I can understand the philosophy in other industries. If you need reasonably good people, say at Walmart, or to sell insurance, you can get away with discarding the uncommitted. When you deal with the top few people in the world at what they do you cannot afford to discard people for any reason.

Sigh, on the other hand you can't keep a cancer in the dressing room. Pump and dump would have been better for a lot of these guys, though (put the player with good linemates, inflate stats, then trade). Hard to do and the coach and GM have to be on the same page.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
I don't think he is referring to Gomez...I don't see him as guy that doesn't love what he does. I think he is referring to the Kostitsyns of the league. Guys that we complain about the Habs training because they feel they are better than the team. Gomez is on the line juggle because Desharnais has better chemistry with Cole and Patches. Great article.
The fact that Gomez is getting the ice time he is makes me believe it's not him. Maybe Eller? He really doesn't seem like that type of guy though, but that's judging the book by its cover. Maybe it's Cole. Would make sense with the struggles they (seemed, again) to have at first.

I'm not surprised by that. There's almost always a guy or two, or five that are unhappy on a team. If the coach was to be fired over that, no coach would last longer than a month.

Gabe84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 09:55 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

He's probably talking about Kostitsyn.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 10:33 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Wow, great article and people jump into speculations about one quote. Only in Montreal...

The guy has coached for 30 years, I'm sure he has seen plenty of players who though they were better than the team.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Jigger77

He's not talking about anybody specifically. Every single coach has players who like him, don't care, or don't like him. It's just the nature of the beast.

What I like about JM is how his experience helps him deal with the pressures of coaching in this city. I have said this a few times but he is extremely even keeled. He doesn't get too high after a win or too low after a loss. I think that's really important in this market because if you let emotions get the better of you your decision-making process will suffer.

I also liked the part about getting the best out of your players. Despite certain decisions I have questioned one thing is for sure, the team plays with heart 99% percent of the time. He has the guys believing in his approach and committed to it. The Habs pride themselves on a hard work ethic and it shows. If you read post-game comments from opposition players they often reflect this. "They're a small team but they never quit and use their speed etc".

In this market, where you have to have a bilingual coach, looking at the guy's track record and the consistency of the team and the playoff success its had since his tenure I think he's the right man for the job.

Given the injuries we have and that he is keeping the team in the picture right now I'd say he's doing a good job.

Nice to read something positive about him for once too. I have to say.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 10:54 AM
29dryden29

vCash: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
He's not talking about anybody specifically. Every single coach has players who like him, don't care, or don't like him. It's just the nature of the beast.

What I like about JM is how his experience helps him deal with the pressures of coaching in this city. I have said this a few times but he is extremely even keeled. He doesn't get too high after a win or too low after a loss. I think that's really important in this market because if you let emotions get the better of you your decision-making process will suffer.

I also liked the part about getting the best out of your players. Despite certain decisions I have questioned one thing is for sure, the team plays with heart 99% percent of the time. He has the guys believing in his approach and committed to it. The Habs pride themselves on a hard work ethic and it shows. If you read post-game comments from opposition players they often reflect this. "They're a small team but they never quit and use their speed etc".

In this market, where you have to have a bilingual coach, looking at the guy's track record and the consistency of the team and the playoff success its had since his tenure I think he's the right man for the job.

Given the injuries we have and that he is keeping the team in the picture right now I'd say he's doing a good job.

Nice to read something positive about him for once too. I have to say.
But why do we have to have a bilingual coach? Bowman wasn't bilingual I think we should want the best coach for the job not one that speaks both french and english. I mean for example if Bowman was still coaching and JM was coaching and we needed a coach and both were available do we take JM cus he can speak french or Bowman because he is by far the best coach. I would say Bowman as the best candidate over JM.

The article is good and as others have said I think he may be refering to AK and to a lesser extent SK as he was the bigger headcase of the two.

29dryden29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
But why do we have to have a bilingual coach? Bowman wasn't bilingual I think we should want the best coach for the job not one that speaks both french and english. I mean for example if Bowman was still coaching and JM was coaching and we needed a coach and both were available do we take JM cus he can speak french or Bowman because he is by far the best coach. I would say Bowman as the best candidate over JM.

The article is good and as others have said I think he may be refering to AK and to a lesser extent SK as he was the bigger headcase of the two.
Bowman's bilingual. And you could argue that back then that trait was actually important given the number of Francophones we had on the team.

But in today's NHL I agree. Take the best coach available regardless of language (as long as he can communicate with the players).

As for the article, read it last night. Enjoyable read. Gives you some insight into a seemingly very private man. He may be too rigid to a fault, but I admire his dedication and professionalism.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:11 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Bowman's bilingual. And you could argue that back then that trait was actually important given the number of Francophones we had on the team.

But in today's NHL I agree. Take the best coach available regardless of language (as long as he can communicate with the players).

As for the article, read it last night. Enjoyable read. Gives you some insight into a seemingly very private man. He may be too rigid to a fault, but I admire his dedication and professionalism.
In all those years I can honestly say I do not recall ever hearing Bowman speak french not saying he didn't I just do not recall it lol. I do say though we should look now at the best coach available not the best coach that speaks french I mean we have more guys on the team that speak a language other than french now with the roster we have.

Old
11-19-2011, 11:15 AM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

Probably not Kostitsyn in my opinion. If it would have been said last year, maybe, but I don't see him saying that about Andrei K this year. He seems to have a lot more fun this year (we DO see his teeth this year more often) and he started to pile up the stats before the injury (5 goals and 4 assists in 13). Why would Martin say that now? Maybe he could have trouble with him outside the rink, but why would Kostitsyn be unhappy, with the way Martin is using him this year? I mean, he had good linemates and doesn't change lines as often as last year. I think JM is just talking general, and not about one specific player. Not a big deal.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

One thing no JM critic can deny... the Habs D is hurting bad this year.

Most coaches could not do much better.

Its up to Gomez to give more... and to Budaj to not give away goals.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:35 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post

I don't really blame PB Price has given up some stinkers this season also especially in that Avs game. I honestly think we have a decent goaltending tandem PB probably needs a little more action to keep him a little more game ready but other than that I think we are pretty decent I mean we could be the Leafs in goal lol.

Old
11-19-2011, 11:50 AM
ruski17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post

I might hate JM as a coach, but you're right about the D.

The thing is, I believe he mismanages his assets, when everyone is healthy I mean, like playing Weber as a forward when he is having a good year defensively and offensively on the point, or not giving Subban an opportunity on the 1st wave of the PP. Not giving Emlin more of a chance until he is practically forced to because of injuries.

But, he is dealing well with those injuries now, I'll give him that.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Jigger77

Quote:

I couldn't agree more about the bilingual thing. Personally I take the best man for the job and that's it. Unfortunately, it's just not the way things work and we don't have a choice but to accept that.

Old
11-19-2011, 12:52 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
I couldn't agree more about the bilingual thing. Personally I take the best man for the job and that's it. Unfortunately, it's just not the way things work and we don't have a choice but to accept that.
Ahhh tabernac lol.

Old
11-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Ahhh tabernac lol.
En effet.

Old
11-19-2011, 01:07 PM
HCH

Quote:
I couldn't agree more about the bilingual thing. Personally I take the best man for the job and that's it. Unfortunately, it's just why things don't work and we don't have a choice but to accept that.
Changed, just a little.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Changed, just a little.
Yeah, all those ****** coaches we've had over the years who haven't won a single thing!

Oh, wait...

For what it's worth, I don't disagree that we shouldn't restrain ourselves to billingual coaches, but to say that it's the reason why the club isn't winning is laughable.

That said, god damn this ****ing debate.

Gabe84 is online now   Reply With Quote