HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Could Giroux, Read, and Couturier Become Flyers ‘Firsts’ This Season?

Old
11-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Doyle

vCash: 500
Could Giroux, Read, and Couturier Become Flyers ‘Firsts’ This Season?

It’s hard to imagine that throughout the storied 43-year history of the Philadelphia Flyers, there could actually be on-ice occurrences that could still be considered ‘firsts’. The team has won two Stanley Cups, had numerous All-Star performers, even placing several in the hallowed walls of Hockey’s Hall of Fame. The franchise has iced winners of the Vezina, Hart, and Conn Smythe Trophies.

Yet there have been three awards that have eluded their players – the Art Ross Trophy for the NHL’s leading scorer, the Calder Memorial Trophy for the Rookie-of-the-Year, and the Lady Byng Trophy, given out to the skater determined to have “exhibited the most sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct”.

The 44th edition of the Flyers could prove to be a very special one, indeed. With the strong early-season play of Claude Giroux and two rookie forwards, Matt Read and Sean Couturier, the Flyers droughts with regards to all three awards could all come to an end this year.

Philly has had several close calls for the Art Ross – including Eric Lindros finishing the lockout-shortened 1994-95 season in a tie with Jaromir Jagr, but losing out because Jagr had scored three more goals, despite playing in two fewer games than the then-Pittsburgh Penguins superstar.

As the season nears the 20-game mark, Giroux appears to be a contender for the League’s top-scoring honors. He has 23 points (11 G, 12 A) in the first 18 contests, which includes six multi-point efforts. He’s tied for third in NHL scoring, just two points behind Toronto Maple Leafs’ forward Phil Kessel.

Read More: http://nhlhotstove.com/could-giroux-...s-this-season/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
It’s hard to imagine that throughout the storied 43-year history of the Philadelphia Flyers, there could actually be on-ice occurrences that could still be considered ‘firsts’. The team has won two Stanley Cups, had numerous All-Star performers, even placing several in the hallowed walls of Hockey’s Hall of Fame. The franchise has iced winners of the Vezina, Hart, and Conn Smythe Trophies.

Yet there have been three awards that have eluded their players – the Art Ross Trophy for the NHL’s leading scorer, the Calder Memorial Trophy for the Rookie-of-the-Year, and the Lady Byng Trophy, given out to the skater determined to have “exhibited the most sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct”.

The 44th edition of the Flyers could prove to be a very special one, indeed. With the strong early-season play of Claude Giroux and two rookie forwards, Matt Read and Sean Couturier, the Flyers droughts with regards to all three awards could all come to an end this year.

Philly has had several close calls for the Art Ross – including Eric Lindros finishing the lockout-shortened 1994-95 season in a tie with Jaromir Jagr, but losing out because Jagr had scored three more goals, despite playing in two fewer games than the then-Pittsburgh Penguins superstar.

As the season nears the 20-game mark, Giroux appears to be a contender for the League’s top-scoring honors. He has 23 points (11 G, 12 A) in the first 18 contests, which includes six multi-point efforts. He’s tied for third in NHL scoring, just two points behind Toronto Maple Leafs’ forward Phil Kessel.

Read More: http://nhlhotstove.com/could-giroux-...s-this-season/
Honestly, dont see giroux being in top 5 for the Art Ross.
Read and Couturier seem to be getting looked over for the Calder so far, at least by everyone who doesn't vote on it.. With Couturier : "He isn't putting up enough points to win it".. With Read "He is 25 and he should be further along in his development"

Couturier with 8 points so far playing key moments is much for useful to us than a rookie playing with the best players on his team IMO

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 10:46 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
All possibilities, but not likelihood's IMO. Giroux has the best shot I think to bring home some hardware.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:09 AM
BillDineen

If you look at the league leaders in points, a number of names in the top 20 are likely to fade at some point. I think the Sedins will have the consistency to be at the top by year end. It would be incredible however, if Giroux could even stay close IMO.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:30 AM
bryzgalovsky*

It's unfortunate that the Flyers have so many great young guys competing for ice time, which means not a single one really sticks out in stats.

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
It's unfortunate that the Flyers have so many great young guys competing for ice time, which means not a single one really sticks out in stats.
While it would be nice to see one of our young guys win the calder, I am glad we have the problem of "so many great young guys competeting for ice time"

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:06 PM
ELab2

Zero chance at a Lady Byng the last "rookie" to win it was Gretzky in 1979-80, these guys just aren't well known enough to be the model of sportsmanship in the NHL.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:28 PM
turkinaa

Couturier needs to get off the 4th line to put up more points to be considered for the Calder. The best +/- doesn't let you win hardware alone when other rookies are putting up more production.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:05 PM
flyersfan018

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves here. Giroux is tearing it up right now so he seems like he has the best chance at winning something but we're not even at the quarter mark of the season yet.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Lady Byng is a reputation award. Couturier could not take a penalty all year and shake hands with the opposition after every game and he still wouldn't have a chance.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:19 PM
bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
Couturier needs to get off the 4th line to put up more points to be considered for the Calder. The best +/- doesn't let you win hardware alone when other rookies are putting up more production.
he may not get off the 4th line, but i really think Couturier deserves some time on the PP. he's earned it.

bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I think I am in the minority in that I really don't care about what hardware the Flyers take home other than the Cup. I'm sure everyone is with me in preferring the cup to anything else, not arguing that. I just don't care if they get an award from the league or press or what have you.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
It shouldn't just be a points competition. It should be and i believe it is supposed to be the most valuable rookie. Now this is all hypothetical... But say you have two rookies.. One who puts up 50 points playing with the best players on his team. Now you also have a rookie who puts up 40 points but plays the PK all the time with barely any PP time on the 3rd or 4th line.
How can you honestly say that the 50 point player is more deserving than the 40 point player. It should be very close with a slight edge to the 40 point player. Points aren't everything.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 06:31 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnz0rs View Post
It shouldn't just be a points competition. It should be and i believe it is supposed to be the most valuable rookie. Now this is all hypothetical... But say you have two rookies.. One who puts up 50 points playing with the best players on his team. Now you also have a rookie who puts up 40 points but plays the PK all the time with barely any PP time on the 3rd or 4th line.
How can you honestly say that the 50 point player is more deserving than the 40 point player. It should be very close with a slight edge to the 40 point player. Points aren't everything.
I agree, however, sadly it always comes down or seems to come down to production.

Look at Skinner (63 points), Myers (48 - keeping in mind he is a Dman), Mason (33 wins, 10 SO), Kane (72), Malkin (85), and AO (106) post-lockout. Pre-lockout it wasn't like that for every year (such as Raycroft and Jackman, but then most of the other players were forwards or goalies with really good numbers). Most of the time it will come down to who has better numbers regardless of the team they play on or how they are used on that time (such as limited minutes).

RN-H and Smith have the most rookie points followed by Adams and Read (but Read is also much older). Couturier is ranked 40th on NHL.com for rookies with TOI/G at 13:04. I don't think the rank matters, but when other players, including Read, are getting more playing time Couturier's chances of point production is reduced especially with limited PP time playing on the 4th line. The only stat Couturier does lead in is +/- which is a terrible stat to base the Calder on.

I'm not saying he can't win it (or Read), I'm saying that the voting does not always look at the player who is more important to their team because they play on the PK or final minutes, they vote for the player who has better numbers which is usually the result of getting ice time and production on special teams.

Even if his production is never as high as the other rookies, more playing time will still help his chances to be selected and overall development. That is what it comes down to, getting more playing time and not 13 minutes a game which is spent mostly on the 4th line and PK.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 07:03 PM
healthyscratch

It has zero chance of happening but I was talking to a few buds and brought up the idea of Couturier winning the Selke.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 07:14 PM
DickTony

I have no doubt that Couturier has at least one Selke in his future.

As for Giroux and the Art Ross...he's leading the league in scoring right now. Who's to say he can't keep that up?

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 07:18 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Don't understand some of the comments about G....

He was T-11th in points last year and it was rather obvious he was still getting better and still had room to grow.

Now he is leading the NHL in points after 19 games and we think he can't even finish in the top 5?!?

Come on...

I think G for the Art Ross or the Hart could very well happen.

Couturier and Read are definitely contenders for the Calder, but I think that'll probably go to RNH unless something drastically changes or RNH hits a wall... just based on the mins he's getting and the teammates he is playing w/ on the 1st line.

Bryzgalov could be up for Vezina.

As an aside, I think Mike Richards could win the Selke this year...

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Bryzgalov will need to keep on his big boy pants for a good while longer if he's gonna sniff the Vezina. He hasn't been nearly consistent enough this season, and even his good streaks aren't on par with Quick or Lehtonen's.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
No flyer should ever aspire to win a lady byng.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 10:05 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
No flyer should ever aspire to win a lady byng.
As Tim Saunders said on a broadcast a season or two ago, "Who the hell would want to win that award?".

I want to say it was a preseason game.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
As Tim Saunders said on a broadcast a season or two ago, "Who the hell would want to win that award?".

I want to say it was a preseason game.
Lol, seriously! I want to look at the record books 50 years from now and see that the flyers are the only team to have never won a lady byng. That would bring a smile to my face.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:10 PM
FlyersCup08

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post

As an aside, I think Mike Richards could win the Selke this year...
Still hoping for this.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:11 PM
Orange Crush 89

No Flyer will ever win Lady Byng.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 10:56 AM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Lol, seriously! I want to look at the record books 50 years from now and see that the flyers are the only team to have never won a lady byng. That would bring a smile to my face.
Agreed 100%, and TBH I don't really care about any hardware except for Lord Stanely's, and Flyer players don't get looks for these awards really because well they play for Philly, and I doubt any of the players care about these awards compared to the Stanely Cup

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote