HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Discussion including Fantasy Talk, #11

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
I just don't think people should be comparing Athletes to regular joes who work 9 to 5's . They know what can happen in a league that allows trading of employees. Every player won't be happy about a trade but we shouldn't feel bad for them. If the player wants to be mad at someone, make it the NHLPA for agreeing you can't get a no trade clause until your UFA years?

Old
11-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Just because life isn't fair doesn't mean you shouldn't be pissed when other people screw you over. If someone shafts you, will you just say "well, that's life!"
No buts its about moving on and learning from it. Not being a scrooge for the rest of your life. I don't let people hold that power over me. Like i said. Jeff Carter will put his situation in perspective and be fine. He doesn't need any sympathy from me.

Old
11-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
No one made them sign up for the military. But it's ok to feel bad for them and not others why exactly?
I never said you should feel bad for them. To be honest i don't care who you waste your energy on. That's you. I'm just telling my perspective of why i don't feel bad for Jeff Carter. Like i said. There are people worse off then JC. He's a big boy. He will be fine.

Old
11-18-2011, 02:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I just don't think people should be comparing Athletes to regular joes who work 9 to 5's . They know what can happen in a league that allows trading of employees. Every player won't be happy about a trade but we shouldn't feel bad for them. If the player wants to be mad at someone, make it the NHLPA for agreeing you can't get a no trade clause until your UFA years?
There's a difference between the average trade and Carter's circumstances. He gave up any chance of getting the raises his colleagues of similar skill will get, and on top of that signed a long contract to bring the cap hit down in return for being able to play out his career where he wants to be.

The Flyers organization broke its word, and traded him to the worst team in the league. It's not like he'll only be there for 2-3 years before he can sign elsewhere. He got shafted. But apparently it's OK to screw over rich people.

11-18-2011, 03:03 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

He's earning millions of dollars in a game where every player knows they could be traded.

I feel sorry he isn't where he wants to be, but that's the game.

I'm just happy he's gone

Last edited by RevUpThoseGolfCarts: 11-18-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old
11-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
There's a difference between the average trade and Carter's circumstances. He gave up any chance of getting the raises his colleagues of similar skill will get, and on top of that signed a long contract to bring the cap hit down in return for being able to play out his career where he wants to be.

The Flyers organization broke its word, and traded him to the worst team in the league. It's not like he'll only be there for 2-3 years before he can sign elsewhere. He got shafted. But apparently it's OK to screw over rich people.
At the time Columbus wasn't the worst team in the league and was supposed to be contending at least for a playoff spot this year.

I don't think it's okay to shaft over rich people but this is where we all probably just have to agree to disagree. Some people think it's just part of the business of hockey. Your eligible to get traded at any moment to any place. Some people think that's unfair. I disagree with you but respect your opinion.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
At the time Columbus wasn't the worst team in the league and was supposed to be contending at least for a playoff spot this year.

I don't think it's okay to shaft over rich people but this is where we all probably just have to agree to disagree. Some people think it's just part of the business of hockey. Your eligible to get traded at any moment to any place. Some people think that's unfair. I disagree with you but respect your opinion.
I don't respect yours! I am now mailing you a bucket of poop in protest!

Really though, fair enough. We've both stated our purpose, anything else will just be running in circles.

Old
11-19-2011, 09:42 AM
jackofhearts

Hey guys, I was hoping to get a bit of fantasy advice. Essentially, I'm not sure if I should wait out some cold streaks or move huge players.

I have a pretty solid lineup of forwards, but a lot of the guys I drafted have been slow to start and are not producing at the rates I'd hoped for. Although I've won all 5 of my matchups so far, I have difficult matchups in the next few weeks, and I'm wondering if it may be worth trading a superstar (who is not producing right now) for someone with a hot hand. Specifically, I'm thinking of Ovechkin, Iginla, or Gionta.

On D, I was really counting on Tyler Myers to score some points, and he's been mostly useless.

The goaltending situation is especially tricky. I have Fleury, Smith, Halak, and Varlamov. Fleury and Smith have been solid, and I know Halak and Varlamov have huge potential, but they have been screwing the pooch for weeks (less so Halak). Worth trading? Would Varlamov have any trade value right now anyway?

Any advice you guys have will be quite helpful. Thanks.

Old
11-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofhearts View Post
Hey guys, I was hoping to get a bit of fantasy advice. Essentially, I'm not sure if I should wait out some cold streaks or move huge players.

I have a pretty solid lineup of forwards, but a lot of the guys I drafted have been slow to start and are not producing at the rates I'd hoped for. Although I've won all 5 of my matchups so far, I have difficult matchups in the next few weeks, and I'm wondering if it may be worth trading a superstar (who is not producing right now) for someone with a hot hand. Specifically, I'm thinking of Ovechkin, Iginla, or Gionta.

On D, I was really counting on Tyler Myers to score some points, and he's been mostly useless.

The goaltending situation is especially tricky. I have Fleury, Smith, Halak, and Varlamov. Fleury and Smith have been solid, and I know Halak and Varlamov have huge potential, but they have been screwing the pooch for weeks (less so Halak). Worth trading? Would Varlamov have any trade value right now anyway?

Any advice you guys have will be quite helpful. Thanks.
Id say wait about 2 more weeks tthan see ifyou can trade for a superstar..
If you find somebody stupid enough to trade for Varlamov, you could probably get a good return.. I traded Varlamov and Voracek for Jonathon quick and Jonathon Toews..

Just PM other people on there and see what they'd offer

Old
11-19-2011, 10:39 AM
G Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnz0rs View Post
If you find somebody stupid enough to trade for Varlamov, you could probably get a good return.. I traded Varlamov and Voracek for Jonathon quick and Jonathon Toews..

quick and toews for varlamov and voracek was that guy high when he made that trade ?

Old
11-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post
quick and toews for varlamov and voracek was that guy high when he made that trade ?
Thats when Varlamov won a few games in a row
Also, i may have told him that Voracek would be playing with giroux and Jagr and Toews wouldn't get as much ice time since Kane could possibly center the first line

Old
11-19-2011, 10:50 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Thats when Varlamov won a few games in a row
Also, i may have told him that Voracek would be playing with giroux and Jagr and Toews wouldn't get as much ice time since Kane could possibly center the first line
Smart time to pounce on it.. Lol

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
11-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Smart time to pounce on it.. Lol
Some of the trades ive made on that team are ridiculous.. Lemme take a pick of my team at the moment

Edit : have been trying to move a forward for another defenseman but no one is biting

Last edited by Krishna: 11-19-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old
11-19-2011, 11:38 AM
jackofhearts

Quote:

Good call. Thanks for the help. If I can get a trade as sweet as the one you pulled off I'll be quite happy.

Old
11-19-2011, 11:40 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

@ PWN, I like it minus the whole Leino thing. But your team is pretty solid.

Old
11-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Krishna

Quote:
@ PWN, I like it minus the whole Leino thing. But your team is pretty solid.
He was actually picked up by me off waivers when Carter was going on IR so i can't really complain.. The team is so offensively powered that i have problems sometimes picking who i want to put in on big game days like today

Old
11-19-2011, 11:55 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
He was actually picked up by me off waivers when Carter was going on IR so i can't really complain.. The team is so offensively powered that i have problems sometimes picking who i want to put in on big game days like today

Carter over Steen
and
Kessel over Leino
?

Old
11-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Carter over Steen
and
Kessel over Leino
?
I hadn't changed it before i took that pic

Old
11-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post
I just joined a fantasy keeper league for the first time. I took over for a GM that had thrown in the towel only one month in.

He traded Perry and parts for Landeskog and parts. Now thats high.

So needless to say I'm starting from last place.

Old
11-19-2011, 01:00 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I hadn't changed it before i took that pic
I was just offering a friendly suggestion.

Old
11-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
I just joined a fantasy keeper league for the first time. I took over for a GM that had thrown in the towel only one month in.

He traded Perry and parts for Landeskog and parts. Now thats high.

So needless to say I'm starting from last place.
Speaking of this.. Anyone have a free spot in a keeper league? The one me and Pykcuurockey10 were in never got off its feet..
Quote:
I was just offering a friendly suggestion.
Yeah i know

Old
11-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Krishna

I forget who said they had Bryzgalov and Bobrovsky and were waiting until a starter was named, but Bobrovsky is starting

Old
11-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
I forget who said they had Bryzgalov and Bobrovsky and were waiting until a starter was named, but Bobrovsky is starting
Me, and thanks. I need a goalie win today to make up for the fact that I didn't play Kiprusoff yesterday. Hawks were on a role and I was sure they were going to murder the Flames.

Old
11-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Me, and thanks. I need a goalie win today to make up for the fact that I didn't play Kiprusoff yesterday. Hawks were on a role and I was sure they were going to murder the Flames.
How many goalies do you have? o.o

Old
11-19-2011, 01:58 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
Closed. 1,000 posts. A new thread has been stickied.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1033719

Closed Thread