HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Where are the Quebec players?

Old
11-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrowser View Post
That's so wrong. Without immigration our population would actually be so old we couldn't even walk around let alone skate.

Global warming, on the other hand, and the price of cigarettes is obviously because of immigants.

Actually this sort of thinking represents one reason Quebec hockey development is behind. After a few generations of making no effort to recruit the children of immigrants into hockey, Ontario is leading the way in encouraging it. If you look at youth teams in Ontario, they are much more diverse. It's starting to happen in western Canada too.

Quebec immigrants on the other hand are encouraged to play soccer, basketball or football.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:39 AM
BBrowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Actually this sort of thinking represents one reason Quebec hockey development is behind. After a few generations of making no effort to recruit the children of immigrants into hockey, Ontario is leading the way in encouraging it. If you look at youth teams in Ontario, they are much more diverse. It's starting to happen in western Canada too.

Quebec immigrants on the other hand are encouraged to play soccer, basketball or football.
100% agree. MUch easier to blame 6 year old kids for preferring soccer than to reach out and make our (awesome) sport cool to them.

(Edit) .. I also think this is why the popularity of the notion of Quebec as it's own nation has dropped so massively. Old white people blaming everyone but themselves.

BBrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:43 AM
ruski17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Your answer:
http://blogues.radio-canada.ca/blogu...pour-les-nuls/

and

http://www.exruefrontenac.com/mlecle...-pas-confondre

The moral of the story is that Hockey Quebec are a bunch of jackasses. That's all you actually need to know, come to think of it.
I just read the frst article, that horrible!!!!

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:46 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Paul Stastny decided to play for the U.S.

Traitor.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:50 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
No one plays hockey anymore in Montreal...thanks the govt. for massive immigration.
I don't know I mean Toronto's "white" population is right now a minority (yes under 50% are white), but they still have a high ratio of NHL-quality players.

I'd say it's expenses as well as Hockey Quebec not encouraging communities across the province the way they do in Ontario or Alberta.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:57 AM
couris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I don't know I mean Toronto's "white" population is right now a minority (yes under 50% are white), but they still have a high ratio of NHL-quality players.

I'd say it's expenses as well as Hockey Quebec not encouraging communities across the province the way they do in Ontario or Alberta.
Scary stuff

Here in MTL it seems like everyone is a fan of the Canadiens...but not actually fan of the hockey game.

couris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Paul Stastny decided to play for the U.S.

Traitor.
The other two Stastnys need to start producing more kids ASAP, the Nordiques 2 are going to need a saviour.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
There are of course many possible answers, some of which have been given in previous posts. I could think of other possibilities:

1)Loss of the Nordiques + Downward spiral of the Habs: None of the kids drafted in the last few years remember the glory days of hockey in the province, or of the great rivalry between our two teams.

2)Less Q teams in Québec, influx of Euro/Atlantic players on the rosters: I'd be curious to know how many Québec-born players are actually playing in the Q now, compared to 10/20 years ago. Less spots = less players to showcase.

3)The Q is underscouted: This has always been true, but has probably worsened because teams now have a lot more areas to scout. This is anecdotal evidence, but the three Québec-born players playing currently for the habs are undrafted. I think everyone could agree that, regardless of actual talent, undrafted players have a much tougher road to the NHL. Those 7-8-9th round picks from Québec in years past just aren't drafted as much anymore because there are a lot more choices in europe or in the US, where most of the scouts are.

4)Continuing obsession with "size" and "grit": Québec for some reason doesn't focus on that kind of player, which is not such a bad thing for me but might be for scouts.
You should realize that the draft has only seven rounds. However, there are more undrafted free agents. As for the players with size and grit and less natural talent, they need more coaching and more oportunity to play. However, the development program in Québec doesn't provide enough teams, facilities, competent coaches, and equipment.

Québec has one indisputable asset: a climate that favors outdoor skating. That's lacking in many parts of the US, but investing in indoor arenas helps compensate. There's no getting away from the fact that Hockey Québec is a disgrace. The inferiority of the program influences NHL teams to send their scouts where hockey is taken more seriously. It's not prejudice, it's wiser utilization of resources.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Perhaps, one day, even China will overtake Quebec as far as hockey is concerned... and that's a bit of a stretch.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:32 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Scary stuff

Here in MTL it seems like everyone is a fan of the Canadiens...but not actually fan of the hockey game.
Reading your posts and looking at your avatar just makes laugh Sorry.

I hear you. It's "cool" to be a fan but the passion for the sport is not the same.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Forsead

IMO the biggest reason is Hockey Québec and the LHJMQ, defensive part of the game isn't enough teach and or promoted. Look at an WHL game vs and LHJMQ game that such different on that part. So Québec born players have a hard time making it to the NHL has defenseman and third/fourth line player since they aren't reliable defensively in general. They also lack size and toughness if you compare them and scouts like that more. Anyway with better defensives systems smaller players would have a harder time in the Q.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:24 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Boston:Benoit Pouliot
SJ: Patrick Marleau
Calgary:René Bourque
Philly:Claude Giroux
Sean Couturier
Carolina:Brian Boucher
CBJ:Marc Méthot
Edm:Sam Gagner
LAK:Éthan Moreau
Nashville:Francis Bouillon
Pitt: Paul Martin
Toronto: Dion Phaneuf
That was funny, but Bouillon is actually a quebecois. Sure, he's born in NY but he's not an 'american'...

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:51 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
No one plays hockey anymore in Montreal...thanks the govt. for massive immigration.
Immigration is almost only a factor in Montreal and to a much lesser extent Quebec city. The rest of the province should be untouched if it truly were a factor since Quebec the province is very homogeneous.

Somehow I don't think immigration is a factor. There are not less Quebecers than there were 10 or 20 years ago, they are just very slightly less of a majority than they used to be. There is no logical reason this should make us create half as many hockey players as before.

I think Hockey is not a working class sport anymore as it is expensive and it requires very serious effort from the parents to have the kid playing from an absurdly young age for them to have a chance to compete. You have to drive them to practice, buy new equipment frequently and then possibly sacrifice their education if they ever reach LHJMQ, at which point they have a very, very, very slight chance of ever playing pro hockey, let alone in the NHL. Of course this is the case everywere else but it definitely has affected the production of NHL talents imho.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Your answer:
http://blogues.radio-canada.ca/blogu...pour-les-nuls/

and

http://www.exruefrontenac.com/mlecle...-pas-confondre

The moral of the story is that Hockey Quebec are a bunch of jackasses. That's all you actually need to know, come to think of it.
Reading that first article. Good god, that is outright appalling, and then they wonder why this Province gets looked down on.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Tons of problems created by Hockey Quebec and all that stuff we already know. Yet, it is NOT a reason to completely overlook the local talent. It's not like you HAVE to draft 25 local players each draft. You have usually 7 draft picks to go with. And Habs will probably go with 1 or 2 Q players....You don't need an incredible league.....you need 1 or 2 potential good players PER YEAR.....not the end of the world and totally feasable if you do your homework. There were a lot of countries who were overlook at one point and yet teams that had their open mind and were first over there, were able to gradually pick the players they wanted before other teams started to wake up and pick over there as well. We have the chance to do that in our own backyard. Be aware of what's going on and pick up the unknown treasures. Why not? This is the Habs we are talking about. Drafting and picking up UFA's SHOULD be our #1 priority and we should be ahead of others based on the fact that we should have plenty of ressources and money to do so. We can't use it on signing players and have a 100 M$ salary structure, so spend it on draft and development throught great people, trips and all.

It is a big time slump in Quebec. Just like the Habs not winning the Cup since 18 years now. Are you actually giving up on the Habs? So why should we give up on Quebec hockey?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 03:00 PM
PunkinDrublic*

I do my fair share for minor hockey in Quebec. And please don't give up on us.....Sorry it's in french.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I wouldn't play the immigration card like someone above said. Ontario manages to put out a ton of guys! Quebec mostly just goalies now, sure there's a LeCavalier every decade, I would blame the system.

FAT Cats & some bad agenda's....

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 03:04 PM
habitue*

Whre are they ?

Simple.

They are doing other sports like skiing, diving, cycling, speed skating, and so on...
And they play football big time.

That is where the Quebec male athletes are.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Whre are they ?

Simple.

They are doing other sports like skiing, diving, cycling, speed skating, and so on...
And they play football big time.

That is where the Quebec male athletes are.
A great skier doesn't necessarily make a good hockey player. The problem is in the development.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 03:09 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
A great skier doesn't necessarily make a good hockey player. The problem is in the development.
«the problem is in seeing why many of our athletes are choosing sports like football instead of hockey. I remember an article a while back that propose the theory that because contact starts later in quebec youth leagues, a lot of kids who want to play a contact sport have started turning to football instead. That's just what I remember, though, could be wrong.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 03:10 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
«the problem is in seeing why many of our athletes are choosing sports like football instead of hockey. I remember an article a while back that propose the theory that because contact starts later in quebec youth leagues, a lot of kids who want to play a contact sport have started turning to football instead. That's just what I remember, though, could be wrong.
Double letter Pee wee are now starting contact.

Old
11-19-2011, 03:11 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
+ Birthrate was quite low in Quebec in the 80's and 90's

+ Lots of monoparental families with lower incomes.

Old
11-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Double letter Pee wee are now starting contact.
I know in Ontario where I played my minor hockey it was Peewee B where we started to play contact. I think that's changed now though not 100% sure.

But I'm not sure that's a factor because wasn't it like that even when Quebec was producing a lot of stars in the NHL? Or is the non-contact in Peewee a recent thing in Qc?

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 03:13 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
An athlete is an athlete. If you bring him to the arena and give him hockey equipment, he will develop. If you bring him to the slopes instead and give him good skis, he,s gonna thrive in that sport.

Old
11-19-2011, 03:14 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I know in Ontario where I played my minor hockey it was Peewee B where we started to play contact. I think that's changed now though not 100% sure.

But I'm not sure that's a factor because wasn't it like that even when Quebec was producing a lot of stars in the NHL? Or is the non-contact in Peewee a recent thing in Qc?
Non contact Peewee has been there forever.