HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where are the Quebec players?

Old
11-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Jigger77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Non contact Peewee has been there forever.
Yeah that's what I thought. Means we can count that out as a factor.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 03:17 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Yeah that's what I thought. Means we can count that out as a factor.
I played double A pee wee back in the 70's with no contact.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 03:17 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Non contact Peewee has been there forever.
In Quebec, it's Bantam double letter

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 03:18 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Double letter Pee wee are now starting contact.
How young is that? Like I said, I don't really follow this stuff much. My experience in youth sports was baseball as hockey was too expensive for my sub-poverty line family growing up.

It is very odd that a place as hockey mad as Quebec seems to have stalled in our development of talented youth.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 03:19 PM
habitue*

Quote:
I played double A pee wee back in the 70's with no contact.
So, it means the non-contact stuff at peewee level is not the right answer.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 03:20 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
How young is that? Like I said, I don't really follow this stuff much. My experience in youth sports was baseball as hockey was too expensive for my sub-poverty line family growing up.

It is very odd that a place as hockey mad as Quebec seems to have stalled in our development of talented youth.
Pee Wee is 10 and 11. In the states they call this level Squirt. Where they use contact in their double letter teams.

Old
11-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Galchenyuk94

IMO, we should contract 4 Midget AAA teams and 4 Q teams. Seems like ever since we started expanding those leagues without having the talent pool to back it up we started nose diving at the draft. Diluding those leagues lowers the competition level. The best have to play with the best.

Also Hockey Quebec is run by morons.

Also football is getting huge, its the new cool sport to play in Montreal.

I don't see what anything has to do with immigrants.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 03:22 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
So, it means the non-contact stuff at peewee level is not the right answer.
Absolutely, and we are fighting to instore checking at the Pee wee level. It's the perect time to teach the children about contact in hockey. It will eliminate some of the aggresive slashings and stick work the kids do now.

Old
11-19-2011, 03:23 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
IMO, we should contract 4 Midget AAA teams and 4 Q teams. Seems like ever since we started expanding those leagues without having the talent pool to back it up we started nose diving at the draft. Diluding those leagues lowers the competition level. The best have to play with the best.

Also Hockey Quebec is run by morons.

Also football is getting huge, its the new cool sport to play in Montreal.

I don't see what anything has to do with immigrants.
Is run on the major part by Hockey Canada.

Old
11-19-2011, 03:25 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Absolutely, and we are fighting to instore checking at the Pee wee level. It's the perect time to teach the children about contact in hockey. It will eliminate some of the aggresive slashings and stick work the kids do now.
Eliminate the video games then where all the violence is allowed and no pain is felt.

Old
11-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Is run on the major part by Hockey Canada.
Not really, the 3 leagues have a lot of individual power.

The Q is still running like the 70's sure there's Maritime expansion, but where's the tie in's going all the way down to midget? It's a business & they could seem to care less about NHL development.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 03:27 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Eliminate the video games then where all the violence is allowed and no pain is felt.
Haha good luck with that one. i'm a father of three boys, all of whom play hockey and play xbox. Never have any of my children hurt another child on the ice. Everything starts at home my friend. Everything.

Old
11-19-2011, 03:29 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Not really, the 3 leagues have a lot of individual power.

The Q is still running like the 70's sure there's Maritime expansion, but where's the tie in's going all the way down to midget? It's a business & they could seem to care less about NHL development.
Not as much as would think, trust me.

imagine how little power we have at the Association level, after Ligue Zonale,Hockey Estrie, Hockey Quebec and Hockey Canada.....we are tiny little puppets

Old
11-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Actually if there's one major problem with the Quebec kids is their lack of aggressiveness and candidacy to 3rd and 4th line roles outside of the great talents. That's what most scouts have talked about. As if, there's is not a lot of Quebec kids to filled 3rd and 4th lines out there which reduces the number of kids drafted. In their minds, you don't have an incredible talent, you'll never be a NHL'er.

Though, I am for checking at the Pee Wee Level.....but not with the people in place now. We need to address the ones that are teaching our kids, we need to put some money in there so we could attract the best of them. And then you teach them the appropriate things to be teached. And as they go along, would welcome them to the role notion so that if you can't make it as a superstar wingers, you could totally make a living out of a 3rd line checker. But that's later on, at one point, hockey needs to be fun to play. Only way they'll stick playing it.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Jigger77

In Ontario contact started in Atom until either this year or last year. It's Peewee now, but not at the houseleague level.

Hockey has evolved a lot though. Tonight (saturdays) for example I play at 6 and the Junior B guys play right after us so I usually stay and watch a bit. It's incredible the difference between junior B hockey here now compared to when I was junior B age. It was a brutal league with fights every game and a lot of high hits, and a huge focus on contact.

Now it looks like the onus is much more on puck control, possession, making plays etc. Very very different. You can see that hockey is evolving both at the pro and junior levels for sure. There are much fewer hits, much fewer scrums and very rarely do you see an actual fight.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
The Ontario system is a good model. It works.. they use all their levels. Helps when people in the system actually care(full of volunteers), I mean there's even a team in the Toronto area that wears the Habs colors. They run their system with Pride. I'm not sure I could say that about "Hockey Quebec."

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 05:20 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
The Ontario system is a good model. It works.. they use all their levels. Helps when people in the system actually care(full of volunteers), I mean there's even a team in the Toronto area that wears the Habs colors. They run their system with Pride. I'm not sure I could say that about "Hockey Quebec."
Not fair !!!! WE CARE !!!!!

Old
11-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Vineon

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Boston:Benoit Pouliot
SJ: Patrick Marleau
Calgary:René Bourque
Philly:Claude Giroux
Sean Couturier
Carolina:Brian Boucher
CBJ:Marc Méthot
Edm:Sam Gagner
LAK:Éthan Moreau
Nashville:Francis Bouillon
Pitt: Paul Martin
Toronto: Dion Phaneuf
If Francis Bouillon isn't a Québécois regardless that he lived nearly his entire life here, we can start pretending Paul Statsny is one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
I do believe it has to do with standard of living, although I am too lazy to research it, I know Quebec taxes are crazy, and unemployment is traditionally higher in Quebec; Quebecers likely have a lower disposable income, although housing is still relatively inexpensive in Quebec.
Frankly, that's complete bull.

The cost of life in Québec is fairly competitive and it is actually easier to live here for the average median family than it is to an Ontario family. Rents are affordable and there are a ton of family oriented services offered to balance this extra taxing.

Unemployement is pretty much at its lowest point and is also currently lower than what is seen in Ontario (and in the States).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrowser View Post
I also think this is why the popularity of the notion of Quebec as it's own nation has dropped so massively. Old white people blaming everyone but themselves.
Québec being a nation is hardly arguable and is pretty much a sociological fact. Not even the most federalist in Québec would argue against that. What you mean is the idea of Québec being its own country, that definitely has lost some steam (although the "old white people", just for reference, have tradionally always been those most inclined to oppose the idea). No, country and nation aren't clear synonyms.

Last edited by Vineon: 11-19-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Vineon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Habbadasher

Qubecers' disposable income the lowest in Canada, after PEI.

http://www.stat.gouv.qc.ca/donstat/e.../pdf/chap5.pdf

Just saying.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 09:33 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Your answer:
http://blogues.radio-canada.ca/blogu...pour-les-nuls/

and

http://www.exruefrontenac.com/mlecle...-pas-confondre

The moral of the story is that Hockey Quebec are a bunch of jackasses. That's all you actually need to know, come to think of it.
Those are some pretty amazing articles. These guys sound incredibly in love with themselves. Sounds like scoring points comes above developing talent.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 09:33 PM
habitue*

This thread is getting ugly... As usual when it's about Québec and Québécois.

Old
11-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Vineon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
Qubecers' disposable income the lowest in Canada, after PEI.

http://www.stat.gouv.qc.ca/donstat/e.../pdf/chap5.pdf

Just saying.
You still aren't factoring in cost of life and the actual services offered by the higher taxes, for example auto insurance and daycare. While the Québécois do pay more taxes, you have to remember that an Ontarian family in comparison will pay for the same services, except to private companies.

Just saying.

Last edited by Vineon: 11-19-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old
11-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I think it's probably three things.

1) Quebec has had a bif influx of immigrants. That's true of Ontario & BC but we've increased our population despite the mass exodus of native born Canadians if I'm permitted to call them that. A big immigrant to native ratio. Also, most immigrants are from Francophone countries (Haiti, North Africa) not exactly countries with a history in hockey. Give it a generation or two for the kids to pick up the sport. Alberta, Sask & Manitoba has immigrants bit a lot of them are either Canadians from other provinces or Americans.

2) Many Quebec kids are exploring other sports. Look at the CFL. I think 4 coaches - GMs are from Quebec. that was never the case. Also, Quebec has become a power in short track speed skating.

3) Hockey Quebec.
This point is perhaps the biggest reason. I was born in Quebec but my parents are immigrants. They signed me up to sports (soccer and basketball) when I was young, but never hockey. The fact of the matter is most immigrant families will not be able to / willing to pay the large amount of money required to equip and sign up their child to ice hockey.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
I hate the "it's too expensive" excuse.

I'm raising three kids on one income and I have money saved for my son to play hockey next year. Kid is showing interest in being a goalie too and I fully support that. Soccer may be cheaper and sure, it's fun, but nothing beats playing hockey in Quebec. Friendships are made early on, you learn so much and overall it's just fun.

Started when I was 4, had to stop at 16 when I had surgery on my knee due to an ugly hit and I will not deny my son or my two other children a chance to play.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Vineon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
This point is perhaps the biggest reason. I was born in Quebec but my parents are immigrants. They signed me up to sports (soccer and basketball) when I was young, but never hockey. The fact of the matter is most immigrant families will not be able to / willing to pay the large amount of money required to equip and sign up their child to ice hockey.
As already brought up, this would affect all provinces with a large influx of immigrants, not only Québec.

I completely reject the idea that immigration has much to do with it and it seems fairly normal to me, money aside, that immigrant families would have their kids play the sports they actually are familiar with.