HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carter requesting trade from CBJ

Old
11-19-2011, 04:03 PM
drownedsailors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
...because everyone knew Couturier would be there at 8...

They need to hire you!
You're right...scratch that; Voracek + the 8th overall for Jeff Carter...either way you look at it, it's still a great trade by Philly and Homer still would have been an idiot for passing that up.

Last edited by drownedsailors: 11-19-2011 at 04:10 PM.
drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Is that why Homer said he was traded? Can't say I've seen that quote.
I think you missed my point.

If you have been rumoured to be a bad leader and have bad lockerroom presence, the first thing you are going to do is try and put that to bed isn't it.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Ryker

Aaaaaaaaaaand he gets his first one of the year

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Mota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort Sampson View Post

As far as if the Richards trade never went down:
It's also kinda silly to expect Richards to be happy with them pulling the trapdoor routine on Carter. I'm not saying the guy is selfish and would pack it in, but when your linemates and buddies are being shipped off every off-season, you might start to have a little distaste for the hands-on approach of the GM and owners on the team.
I really feel this had a big impact on Richards being dealt. The Carter deal made sense...it cleared the short-term/long-term salary for them to sign Bryz and they got a killer return. When you trade one franchise center however, that should make the other one even more untouchable...especially with the package they got. I think they tossed the idea of trading Carter to Richards in the past and his displeasure for it, as well as other things, made them to decide to move both.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 12:57 PM
BrindamoursNose

I heard Jim Jackson say a Flyer took a shot "high and wide" last game and it reminded me of Carter

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:08 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Aaaaaaaaaaand he gets his first one of the year
and what a beauty! that was vintage carter

PhillyFlying is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:49 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drownedsailors View Post
You're right...scratch that; Voracek + the 8th overall for Jeff Carter...either way you look at it, it's still a great trade by Philly and Homer still would have been an idiot for passing that up.
See you can't even say that...

What if that 8th overall turns out to be Hugh Jessimen or something? Yes, 8th overall is a wonderful asset but it is not, nor will ever be a sure thing; and people need to stop thinking of it as such. Voracek is a good player, but he's topped out at 16 goals and 50 pts in his 3 full seasons. A 50 pt guy and a Hugh Jessimen is NOT worth a 35+ goal scorer (who is a very, very well rounded player).

All that said, I am, and was totally fine with this trade. It is a nice calculated gamble; but it is flat out silly to act as if it was some incredible no brainer. Don't let the Couturier hindsight blind you.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Ryker

I would actually say it was nowhere near a no-brainer. To me, Carter sounds better than Voracek + 8th overall, at least on paper. I may be biased, because Carter was my favourite player on the team, but he produced, Voracek was decent, but not spectacular in Columbus, and there have been so many flops with high picks that it's almost a crapshoot anyway. All that being said, from day one I backed Holmgren's decision, because I just don't think we would have ever won the cup with Richards and Carter with the team. It's a gut feeling, of course, but I would do both of the trades all over again, even if the guys we got hadn't turned out as well as they have thus far.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:15 AM
ApeZilla

Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I would actually say it was nowhere near a no-brainer. To me, Carter sounds better than Voracek + 8th overall, at least on paper. I may be biased, because Carter was my favourite player on the team, but he produced, Voracek was decent, but not spectacular in Columbus, and there have been so many flops with high picks that it's almost a crapshoot anyway. All that being said, from day one I backed Holmgren's decision, because I just don't think we would have ever won the cup with Richards and Carter with the team. It's a gut feeling, of course, but I would do both of the trades all over again, even if the guys we got hadn't turned out as well as they have thus far.

Same.

While Couturier is a pleasant surprise, we have barely seen Schenn - that kind of balances out.

And we're leading our Conference in points, and goals scored btw. Just to remind any naysayers of this trade, offensive production was the biggest issue all of you had from day 1 of this trade.

While the defense hasn't been amazing, we've given up 15 goals in two games to the Winnipeg Jets which crap all over out stats and make them look much worse than the rest of the league.

On an ethical basis however, I will agree that Richards and Carter got jobbed, especially Carter - though if Columbus panned out like some predicted it wouldn't look so terrible.

We would never receive a better return for Cater+Richards, and they had NTCs after this season. Snider was never going to let Holmgren completely rebuild this team around them and he blew it up the fastest/easiest way foreseeable with a good return.

ApeZilla is offline   Reply With Quote