HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would anyone want Todd Marchant?

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2005, 09:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 500
Would anyone want Todd Marchant?

even though he was on waivers, he likely didn't get claimed because of his salary. That said, for what Fedorov brought in, I'm sure we could make room for him by getting rid of some dead weight (Therien) as part of a proposed deal.

Old
11-17-2005, 09:14 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
even though he was on waivers, he likely didn't get claimed because of his salary. That said, for what Fedorov brought in, I'm sure we could make room for him by getting rid of some dead weight (Therien) as part of a proposed deal.
Marchant would be a fourth line center making about 2 1/4 mil. No thanks.

Old
11-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Marchant would be a fourth line center making about 2 1/4 mil. No thanks.
We'd officially have the most expensive fourth line in the NHL. Brashear-Marchant-Stevenson. How unspectcular for six million dollars.

Old
11-18-2005, 06:12 AM
peteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
We'd officially have the most expensive fourth line in the NHL. Brashear-Marchant-Stevenson. How unspectcular for six million dollars.

We could split Marchant salary with Columbus.Cost us around $600,000 and
some change.He would improve the PK immediately & the FO%.Could take critical
draws.when we are shorthanded.If Prims don't come back.Can't do any worse than Handzus on 2nd W or C.He has a lot of speed.And might just need a change of scenery.Would help the club.

Old
11-18-2005, 06:34 AM
Nacho
Special

I can see Todd on the team, centering a line with some speedy forwards(Carter, Umberger...?), as he is good on creating those breakaways...

Old
11-18-2005, 06:48 AM
stanley

I can't speak for anyone else, but if there's anything I'd like to see this club acquire before the deadline, it's another defenseman - one with a contract expiring after this season. No long-term investments.

Quote:
even though he was on waivers, he likely didn't get claimed because of his salary...

...That said, for what Fedorov brought in, I'm sure we could make room for him by getting rid of some dead weight (Therien) as part of a proposed deal.
gkj,
You can't separate the two thoughts. (Well, you can - I can't stop you! But I think you shouldn't.) Columbus didn't merely give up Wright and Beauchemin for Fedorov - they accepted Sergei's contract and surrendered that payroll flexibility. Alas, the Flyers do not have nearly $3M for two more seasons past this one to spend on a player like Marchant. Not if they want to keep Gagne and Johnsson, and avoid having to move someone else valuable in order to sign Pitkanen.

I'd imagine that the Flyers' front office didn't even consider the possibility of trading for Marchant. I'll bet they would consider his average annual salary manageable if they were able to move an equal amount of salary the other way. It's the length of Marchant's contract that's undesirable, and that's not going to change. Also, it's not as though this club needs to improve their depth up the middle before addressing other positions.

I say, unequivocally, that they could make far, far better investments than Marchant.

Old
11-18-2005, 07:26 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
I can't speak for anyone else, but if there's anything I'd like to see this club acquire before the deadline, it's another defenseman - one with a contract expiring after this season. No long-term investments.

gkj,
You can't separate the two thoughts. (Well, you can - I can't stop you! But I think you shouldn't.) Columbus didn't merely give up Wright and Beauchemin for Fedorov - they accepted Sergei's contract and surrendered that payroll flexibility. Alas, the Flyers do not have nearly $3M for two more seasons past this one to spend on a player like Marchant. Not if they want to keep Gagne and Johnsson, and avoid having to move someone else valuable in order to sign Pitkanen.

I'd imagine that the Flyers' front office didn't even consider the possibility of trading for Marchant. I'll bet they would consider his average annual salary manageable if they were able to move an equal amount of salary the other way. It's the length of Marchant's contract that's undesirable, and that's not going to change. Also, it's not as though this club needs to improve their depth up the middle before addressing other positions.

I say, unequivocally, that they could make far, far better investments than Marchant.
If they dump Brashear and Therien they can afford him. I doubt Columbus would take both of them without flipping Brashear somewhere else

Old
11-18-2005, 07:31 AM
Nacho
Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
I don't know, the defence is getting better, it's the offense that is starting to get worse...

Old
11-18-2005, 08:40 AM
Jester

Quote:
If they dump Brashear and Therien they can afford him. I doubt Columbus would take both of them without flipping Brashear somewhere else
we can't drop dmen right now...

brashear should have been bought out... and he should be dropped to the AHL when Kapanen is back... why we are talking about putting Umberger back down is beyond me.

Old
11-18-2005, 09:29 AM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Quote:
This season yes, but Marchant is signed for the next two seasons aswell which will interfere with the cap space the Flyers must have to resign Pitkanen, Gagne and Johnsson.
Besides i think D-men is the priority not another center.

There's one exception though, if Primeau doesnt come back...

Old
11-18-2005, 07:35 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester

brashear should have been bought out... and he should be dropped to the AHL when Kapanen is back... why we are talking about putting Umberger back down is beyond me.

numbers. one of the rookies is going down

Old
11-18-2005, 08:10 PM
stanley

I think you guys overvalue Marchant, particularly when he makes around $3M for two seasons beyond this one. It's silly to spend 1/13th of the available payroll on a player like Marchant, or rather, silly to make a 2 1/2-year investment in a player like that.

Old
11-18-2005, 08:11 PM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho
I don't know, the defence is getting better, it's the offense that is starting to get worse...
Picard seems like he might be a decent player, but there's really nobody to write home about in the system on the blueline.

Old
11-20-2005, 07:39 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Marchant ....
NO WAY HE PLAYS FOR THE FLYERS...........

Old
11-20-2005, 07:42 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester

brashear to the ahl with his salary.....
if we do anything with him we need to get rid of his salary...

Old
11-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedorange
brashear to the ahl with his salary.....
if we do anything with him we need to get rid of his salary...
hi... by sending him to the AHL the flyers wouldn't be responsible for his salary... thus be "rid of his salary."

Closed Thread