HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Capitals @ Jets. 8:30pm. MTS Center. 11.17.2011.

Old
11-19-2011, 01:07 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
It was inevitable we made the playoffs. All we had to do was change coaches.

Between a vet goalie, the best player in the world in his prime, along with Semin, Green and Nick so simply moved to his natural position; coupled with half the teams making it in every year.... I think so. Even Ted could eventually pick a coach out of a hat to get an 8th place finish.

Bruce's rate of turn around was very impressive and probably unprecedented, at the top of his resume. Hanlon may have had a say in that. But it bought Bruce a few playoff failures in my book, and most everyone.

Its also proof simply changing coaches to even a minor league coach can turn high end talent teams around overnight. A new voice. Some coaches seem stuck in what they do. Or players simply get burned out on their voice, when the progression plateau's. Coaches dont coach forever. Many things in life are inevitable.
There's no doubt that there's that bump from a coaching change pretty much every time. It may come down to that. You either change the dynamics of the team through trades or you change the leadership.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:10 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRASHCAT View Post
Contender? Lets see there are 4 rounds in the playoffs and bruce has at his best gotten to the second. Three years ago he had 7 wins in the playoffs, i.e. not even halfway there. And the team has regressed since then.
Sorry, playoff results don't establish contenders....I mean, if you understand the word at all.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:11 PM
TRASHCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Sorry, playoff results don't establish contenders....I mean, if you understand the word at all.
Results last time i checked were the only thing that mattered.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
Depends of what the definition of Stanley Cup contention means. To me, the Caps have been Contenders during most of the 80s, 90s, and half of the 2000 decade. I say this because when a team makes the playoffs, anything can happen. Look at 1991 Minnesota North Stars and 2003 Anaheim Ducks. Other than working for a playoff spot, the regular season means nothing other than satisfying our hockey fix. Of course this is my opinion.

Now as far as flopping in the playoffs, the Caps are certainly in that category. I think this is why so many old Caps fans are so eager to win a Stanley Cup, including myself. Gets old seeing teams win the ultimate prize, especially teams like Tampa Bay, Carolina, and Anaheim.
If that's the threshold for being a "contender" then being a "contender" is a pretty meaningless criteria. Then the Blues were contenders for what, 30 straight years? Might as well just call it top 53 percent.

I'm guessing management is fine with that though, as long as they keep making the playoffs and filling the building why mess with a good thing. Who knows what'll happen, we're a contender!

Would be nice if they just acknowledged that they don't really give a **** about what happens in the playoffs as long as we're a "contender" (which is what keeping Bruce is really all about) and told him to go back to having them cheat on offense and play run and gun and make the regular season more fun to watch than the half assed dump and chasefest we have right now.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012
As someone one the fence about Bruce, I must say your hate for him is bordering on critical mass. The Caps under Hanlon were not a playoff calibre team. Bruce made them into that going on an amazing tear to make the playoffs.

All you Bruce haters at least give some credit where it's due. If you don't like him fine, at least try to be a little objective.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just haven't seen some of my posts on the subject. I certainly am not a Bruce-hater. At times I probably have been in the past, but at this point I don't even know that I think he should be fired. I see and acknowledge the good and bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i love the it was inevitable thing. lets be clear about what actually happened. boudreau took over a last place team at thanksgiving. a last place team at thanksgiving had not and have not since ever made the playoffs. in order to make the playoffs the capitals needed to essentially have the best record in the league for the remainder of the season.

from day one thru the end of last season, the capitals have been the best team in the eastern conference except for being 2nd in 08-09. the capitals were expected to compete for a playoff spot in 07-08. noone thought of them as a team capable of the best record in the conference.

i would have replaced boudreau after the last playoff failure purely because of the critical mass of the disappointments. that said, the regular season coaching and results have been remarkable and anything but inevitable.
By "turnaround" I meant the basic transition from the team being terrible to being good. I think it was inevitable that the team would start winning games and probably at a pace that would qualify them for the playoffs over a full season. Bruce does deserve credit for the fact that they managed to make the playoffs, but framing the scenario in such dramatic terms -- that he took a team worthy of last place and molded it into a playoff team -- is unfair and gives him too much of it.

I am curious how much of a role he played in the breakout of players like Laich, Backstrom, and Green, beyond the obvious (giving them increased roles, letting Green rush more, etc.). Given his apparent tendency to get the most out of young players and get strong development from them, it is certainly possible that he deserves more credit for that than he might get. No one here really knows though.

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 04:18 PM
txpd

My recall was that boudreau was a huge deal for green who was struggling under hanlon. backstrom had not been allowed to play center under hanlon. laich and green knew how boudreau coached and felt comfortable playing their game where they did not feel that way in hanlon's defense first system

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just haven't seen some of my posts on the subject. I certainly am not a Bruce-hater. At times I probably have been in the past, but at this point I don't even know that I think he should be fired. I see and acknowledge the good and bad.

By "turnaround" I meant the basic transition from the team being terrible to being good. I think it was inevitable that the team would start winning games and probably at a pace that would qualify them for the playoffs over a full season. Bruce does deserve credit for the fact that they managed to make the playoffs, but framing the scenario in such dramatic terms -- that he took a team worthy of last place and molded it into a playoff team -- is unfair and gives him too much of it.

I am curious how much of a role he played in the breakout of players like Laich, Backstrom, and Green, beyond the obvious (giving them increased roles, letting Green rush more, etc.). Given his apparent tendency to get the most out of young players and get strong development from them, it is certainly possible that he deserves more credit for that than he might get. No one here really knows though.
He should be good with the younger players. He is a minor league coach. Great for early development. But not a leader of men.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 04:26 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
If that's the threshold for being a "contender" then being a "contender" is a pretty meaningless criteria. Then the Blues were contenders for what, 30 straight years? Might as well just call it top 53 percent.

I'm guessing management is fine with that though, as long as they keep making the playoffs and filling the building why mess with a good thing. Who knows what'll happen, we're a contender!

Would be nice if they just acknowledged that they don't really give a **** about what happens in the playoffs as long as we're a "contender" (which is what keeping Bruce is really all about) and told him to go back to having them cheat on offense and play run and gun and make the regular season more fun to watch than the half assed dump and chasefest we have right now.
I'm aware of the Blues run. I watched them too. The Caps and Blues are exactly the same. A history of regular season success and playoff failure. It happens in sports. I don't like not having a championship, but to not make the playoffs all together is worse. As long as we make the playoffs, the team has a chance. I was pissed as anyone else during their flops in the playoffs, but I still continue to support the team. Constantly rambling about BB, players, etc doesn't change anything. The bottom line is, GMGM and Ted aren't going to do what most fans want and yes I agree, Ted is perfectly happy with just making the playoffs. Do I believe this current team will make it past the first or second round? Of course I don't, but I hope. This team needs more tenacity on defense and get rid of the deer in the headlights defensive play, imo to get to the final dance.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 05:26 PM
txpd

based on what some think the definition of a contender is, the caps might never be one up to including the moment they raise the cup.

contenders lose in the playoffs early almost every year. non contenders reach the finals in many sports(the flyers two years ago) and win championships as well( st louis cardinals just last month).

a contender is a team with a realistic chance. sounds to me like many here think it have been an actual upset had the caps won a second round series under boudreau.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 12:08 AM
Icetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
sounds to me like many here think it have been an actual upset had the caps won a second round series under boudreau.

Welcome to reality.

Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote