HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

2011-12 All Purpose Kings Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Hossa is the very reason why you don't do a deal like that. Luckily for the Pens, Dupuis has turned out to be the 2nd best player in the deal. For the record, Hossa only played 12 games and scored 10 points for the Pens.

There are GMs that will take risky moves, I'm just glad DL isn't one of them.
Regardless of his tenure with the Pens, he had an impact on their playoff run and was a part of that team that got to the Cup finals and lost to Detroit. He scored 26 points in 20 playoff games. That team gained a lot from that experience and it showed when they went on to win in the following year.

If getting Parise means a trip to the Cup finals, you make that move. Quick makes Bernier expendable, Voynov is the most valuable asset that is going the other way, and he is not at the same level of Parise.

I don't have to discuss Penner, he's done nothing to help the Kings, and that 1st could be in the mid-late range depending on how far the Kings advance.

Giving that up for a 40 goal, 90 point, all-star LW who is 27, in his prime, is a no-brainer.

And go back and review the assets the Pens surrendered to Atlanta for Hossa. Who left a dent on that franchise?

Old
11-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
You have to pay to play. Parise is an elite level talent. For comparisons sake, observe the price of other premium forwards who were pending free agents.

Ilya Kovalchuk traded to New Jersey by Atlanta with Anssi Salmela and Atlanta's 2nd round choice (Jonathon Merrill) in 2010 Entry Draft for Johnny Oduya, Niclas Bergfors, Patrice Cormier and New Jersey's 1st (later traded to Chicago - Chicago selected Kevin Hayes) and 2nd (later traded to Chicago - Chicago selected Justin Holl) round choices in 2010 Entry Draft, February 4, 2010.

Marian Hossa traded to Pittsburgh by Atlanta with Pascal Dupuis for Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito and Pittsburgh's 1st round choice (Daulton Leveille) in 2008 Entry Draft, February 26, 2008.

The Kings would be getting the best player in the trade and have exclusive negotiating rights with Parise for the next eight months. If you can get a player like Parise for that package, you do it.

Imagine if Dean can't sign Parise. This board would be unbearable. Not like it's the only thing that matters. You understand though.

I don't see Dean doing that. At all. He is a safe GM. Parise is a very good talent, he isn't worth giving up Berneir + imo. Or whatever large package it would take. Not to mention him dealing with Meehan again.

Old
11-20-2011, 02:00 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
What we can do is make a trade for Parise offering Penner and Amart. Then have a condition attached where if Parise re-signs with us, we include a 1st and Bernier. Assuming all this is allowed under the current CBA.

Old
11-20-2011, 02:01 AM
damacles1156

It's a pipe dream, Zach is going nowhere. The devils have made no indication they are even remotely interested in moving him. They haven't even expressed interest in ANY Kings players/Prospects what so ever.

It's just like the pipe dream everyone has about Dean Lombardi hiring another coach Not named John Stevens.

Old
11-20-2011, 02:05 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
It's a pipe dream, Zach is going nowhere. The devils have made no indication they are even remotely interested in moving him. They haven't even expressed interest in ANY Kings players/Prospects what so ever.

It's just like the pipe dream everyone has about Dean Lombardi hiring another coach Not named John Stevens.
Hey, don't be a party pooper.

If you don't want to play, just go away.

Old
11-20-2011, 02:07 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Imagine if Dean can't sign Parise.
Please don't...

Lucky for us Ziggy is not the one pulling the trigger for this one and Dean will not do such move. We are safe.

Old
11-20-2011, 02:14 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Regardless of his tenure with the Pens, he had an impact on their playoff run and was a part of that team that got to the Cup finals and lost to Detroit. He scored 26 points in 20 playoff games. That team gained a lot from that experience and it showed when they went on to win in the following year.

If getting Parise means a trip to the Cup finals, you make that move. Quick makes Bernier expendable, Voynov is the most valuable asset that is going the other way, and he is not at the same level of Parise.

I don't have to discuss Penner, he's done nothing to help the Kings, and that 1st could be in the mid-late range depending on how far the Kings advance.

Giving that up for a 40 goal, 90 point, all-star LW who is 27, in his prime, is a no-brainer.

And go back and review the assets the Pens surrendered to Atlanta for Hossa. Who left a dent on that franchise?
First off, there's no guarantee that acquiring Parise will take us to the cup finals. Secondly, just because Bernier is expendable due to Quick's strong play shouldn't devalue Bernier. He still has a ton of potential. Voynov could be a 1st pairing when all is said and done.

I would have major difficulties giving up all of our assets for a signed Parise, let alone a rental Parise.

Old
11-20-2011, 02:22 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
First off, there's no guarantee that acquiring Parise will take us to the cup finals. Secondly, just because Bernier is expendable due to Quick's strong play shouldn't devalue Bernier. He still has a ton of potential. Voynov could be a 1st pairing when all is said and done.

I would have major difficulties giving up all of our assets for a signed Parise, let alone a rental Parise.
Exactly

The Kings have to prove they can win a freaking playoff Round before we start talking Cup Finals. Why not just keep those players. And take a shot July 1st? You lose nothing but a nice presentation video with a Bunch of LA stars on it.

Old
11-20-2011, 02:34 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I don't see how it could even be considerable to pass the offer of Voynov and Bernier for a signed Parise. You make that deal 10 out of 10 times. It's mind boggling just considering the option not to. We have solid goaltending and defensive depth, and neither of those players is currently playing a prominent role on the team, for an undeniably elite player that has proven himself in a notoriously defensive system. It is fair value for a rental Parise as well, and I would definitely still pull the trigger. Parise is easily the type of player you take a risk on.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
11-20-2011, 03:02 AM
Nex06

What would you give for one week of Sidney Crosby? Not much, I thought so. Taking "risk" means that you have certain expectation, could be gain, could be loss. What the rest of us are saying is, that the expectation of getting Parise longterm is the same whether we trade for him or not - he will talk to us as UFA. So why giving anything for him?

It seems like a subject where we will just have to agree to disagree. The assets that some would give for rental Parise seems crazy to me.

And yeah, Bernier+Voynov for signed Parise would be too good to pass. But that is not on the table and will never be in my opinion.

Old
11-20-2011, 03:18 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

I would trade Bernier and Voynov for a rental of Parise... if the trade was made now, and not at the deadline.

Old
11-20-2011, 03:20 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
What would you give for one week of Sidney Crosby? Not much, I thought so. Taking "risk" means that you have certain expectation, could be gain, could be loss. What the rest of us are saying is, that the expectation of getting Parise longterm is the same whether we trade for him or not - he will talk to us as UFA. So why giving anything for him?

It seems like a subject where we will just have to agree to disagree. The assets that some would give for rental Parise seems crazy to me.

And yeah, Bernier+Voynov for signed Parise would be too good to pass. But that is not on the table and will never be in my opinion.
That is the theoretical proposal on the table, of course it won't happen, but that is the one we are discussing. Teams that spend the assets, trade for the player, and get that exclusivity negotiating with the player have a significantly higher chance of signing him. This is the reality all modern NHL GM's face, and when the player you have been seeking becomes available, sometimes you just need the moxy to roll the dice. Bernier and Voynov are great assets, but they are expendable assets, and the price is not close to overpayment. There should be no hesitation, you can't let it go to a bidding war or else you'll lose, but you have a great advantage and are the favorite to win if you make the trade. You have to spend if you are serious about acquiring a superstar player.

Old
11-20-2011, 07:06 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Watch it be Penner for Zubrus...and another ex-Flyer on the roster...

I'd crack up if this was what all the manure hitting the fan was all about...

Old
11-20-2011, 03:24 PM
outofrange

On the Devils board they are saying that Palmieri is gonna be scratched for their next game. That's the kind of trade that Dl would look at at this juncture with the emergence of Voynov and the bottom six playing like suck.

So Marty for Palmieri? I think it's a trade that might help both teams.

Old
11-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

I would absolutely move Martinez for Palmieri. Would give Clifford an opposite winger with youth and grit and could ease the loss of Simmonds, all while allowing Voynov to stay. Fax me the paperwork

Old
11-20-2011, 03:56 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Palmieri won't be the difference maker imo. Our 3rd line will continue to struggle until we get Lokti centering the 3rd line. I hope I'm wrong but having Clifford-Stoll-Palmieri as our 3rd line while looks balanced, doesn't scream or shout offense. To me, it just looks more like we're moving Amart so, VV can play than actually acquiring an asset that we truly need.

Last edited by The Black1963: 11-20-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old
11-20-2011, 04:03 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Martinez and Stoll for an upgrade at center would be nice. Doable, too. I'm not saying we'll get Jordan Staal but, Martinez is at least a serviceable NHLer.

As for the Bernier + VV for Parise, would only be on the table at the trade deadline, if ever. And at that point we'd know more about Quick. Personally, I think Quick's rebound control has been horrible this year. Until that picks up, I'd definitely want to hold on to Bernier.

Old
11-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Palmieri won't be the difference maker imo. Our 3rd line will continue to struggle until we get Lokti centering the 3rd line. I hope I'm wrong but having Clifford-Stoll-Palmieri as our 3rd line while looks balanced, doesn't scream or shout offense. To me, it just looks more like we're moving Amart so, VV can play than acquiring an asset that we truly need.
Where and who are all these difference making offensive bottom 6'ers you're envisioning? We don't have any youthful bottom 6 right wingers outside of maybe Lewis everyone else is moreso than not a top 6 or bust player. I can't think of very many third lines out there that scream offense to anyone. In the end, he improves the right wing depth and has the youth to grow with the core, especially given the fact that everyone has been screaming over the third line right wing position this entire season thus far. Clifford and Palmieri are solid third line wingers. I agree though that Stoll is the one that doesn't really fit on the third well all too well. No knock on him, he just isn't a good mix for Clifford and the role in my opinion.

Gagne-Kopitar-Williams
Loktionov-Richards-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Palmieri
Moreau-Fraser-Lewis

Looks solid and a much better lineup than we've had thus far.

Old
11-20-2011, 04:27 PM
KingLB

IDK, imo AMart is worth more than a run of the mill third liner....

AMart is relatively young, decent defensively and is a good offensive defensemen. I'm not sure Palmieri is a good enough return by himself.

Old
11-20-2011, 04:41 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Where and who are all these difference making offensive bottom 6'ers you're envisioning? We don't have any youthful bottom 6 right wingers outside of maybe Lewis everyone else is moreso than not a top 6 or bust player. I can't think of very many third lines out there that scream offense to anyone. In the end, he improves the right wing depth and has the youth to grow with the core, especially given the fact that everyone has been screaming over the third line right wing position this entire season thus far. Clifford and Palmieri are solid third line wingers. I agree though that Stoll is the one that doesn't really fit on the third well all too well. No knock on him, he just isn't a good mix for Clifford and the role in my opinion.

Gagne-Kopitar-Williams
Loktionov-Richards-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Palmieri
Moreau-Fraser-Lewis

Looks solid and a much better lineup than we've had thus far.
Well, that's why I said let's go big or go home. We don't need to add a 3RW. For some reason, you guys think by replacing a hole left by Simmonds is going to greatly improve our team, and it's not. I'm open to giving Clifford-Stoll-Palmieri a shot but to me, the 3C needs to be Lokti not Stoll. You start witn Lokti as our 3C and then you can fill the wings with our current players and I bet you'll see better production from them than you would with Stoll centering Clifford and Palmieri.

Richie, Lewis, Stoll and Parse could all play RW.

Old
11-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
IDK, imo AMart is worth more than a run of the mill third liner....

AMart is relatively young, decent defensively and is a good offensive defensemen. I'm not sure Palmieri is a good enough return by himself.
AMart at this point in his career reminds me very much of Sydor. their games are very similar and there is just a slight difference between what they brought imo. Syd played a bit more physical than AMart does, although AMart seems to be playing more physical this season compared to last season. on the flip side AMart seems to have more offensive skill set and offensive minded than Sydor ever was his whole career. this is likely due to the evolution of the game itself.

this being said i have to agree that AMart is worth more than just a 'run of the mill third liner'. the kid has very good upside when it comes to his potential. until he went out of the lineup he seems to have hit his sophmore slump, but picked it up just before going out injured.

Sydor back in his day was traded for (from hockeydb.com):
1996-Feb-17 Traded from Los Angeles Kings with round 5 pick in the 1996 draft to Dallas Stars for Shane Churla and Doug Zmolek
2003-Jul-22 Traded from Dallas Stars to Columbus Blue Jackets for Mike Sillinger and round 2 pick in the 2004 draft
2004-Jan-27 Traded from Columbus Blue Jackets with round 4 pick in the 2004 draft (Mike Lundin) to Tampa Bay Lightning for Alexandr Svitov and round 3 pick in the 2004 draft (Dustin Boyd)
2006-Jul-02 Traded from Tampa Bay Lightning to Dallas Stars for round 4 pick in the 2008 draft
2008-Nov-16 Traded from Pittsburgh Penguins to Dallas Stars for Philippe Boucher

Sydor essentially was worth a player & a 2nd-4th rounder, each time he was traded. AMart is easily worth this type of value, especially in this day and age. teams covet PMD's and ones that play a smart/sound game, all of which AMart has shown and will only improve upon.

Old
11-20-2011, 05:07 PM
gonnaneedsomewine

Devils fans place an absurdly high value on Parise because he's the only elite scoring forward they've had on their team for a long time.

Anyone you talk to on the Devils board will tell you it will take a massive overpayment to get Parise. Other posters will point to what Kovalchuk and Hossa were traded for when they were pending UFA's. The price likely falls somewhere in the middle because Parise has not rejected a max long term contract like Kovalchuk did.

Lamoriello is not going to trade Parise -- the fan base will riot. He will hold onto him and ride the year out and walk the plank knowing Parise could walk for nothing July 1.

Parise is going to test the market -- that's a fact. And LA has been in on some of the big names on the market over the last few years. You have to wonder with the instability of Devils' ownership and the looming bankruptcy claims if the Devils have enough financial and managerial stability to shell out another huge $$$$ deal like they did with Kovalchuk in the summer of 2010.

Dean made an excellent decision in pulling out of the Kovy sweepstakes. He is not worth that type of contract at all. A guy like Parise is someone worth a 7 million dollar per year contract, not Kovalchuk.

The Kings will have the cap space, and they have an excellent young core that should be attractive to a free agent that wants to win for the long haul. There is no reason at all to throw away Voynov, Bernier, Loktionov, etc when you can give up nothing and just sign Parise after the year is over.

The only way I could see Dean possibly giving up his top prospects is for a top flight forward/superstar that is locked up long term on a fairly reasonable deal (Nash or Jeff Carter) or for a young forward with superstar potential who is under team control for a few years -- a guy like JVR or TJ Oshie.

Old
11-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnaneedsomewine View Post
Devils fans place an absurdly high value on Parise because he's the only elite scoring forward they've had on their team for a long time.

Anyone you talk to on the Devils board will tell you it will take a massive overpayment to get Parise. Other posters will point to what Kovalchuk and Hossa were traded for when they were pending UFA's. The price likely falls somewhere in the middle because Parise has not rejected a max long term contract like Kovalchuk did.

Lamoriello is not going to trade Parise -- the fan base will riot. He will hold onto him and ride the year out and walk the plank knowing Parise could walk for nothing July 1.

Parise is going to test the market -- that's a fact. And LA has been in on some of the big names on the market over the last few years. You have to wonder with the instability of Devils' ownership and the looming bankruptcy claims if the Devils have enough financial and managerial stability to shell out another huge $$$$ deal like they did with Kovalchuk in the summer of 2010.

Dean made an excellent decision in pulling out of the Kovy sweepstakes. He is not worth that type of contract at all. A guy like Parise is someone worth a 7 million dollar per year contract, not Kovalchuk.

The Kings will have the cap space, and they have an excellent young core that should be attractive to a free agent that wants to win for the long haul. There is no reason at all to throw away Voynov, Bernier, Loktionov, etc when you can give up nothing and just sign Parise after the year is over.

The only way I could see Dean possibly giving up his top prospects is for a top flight forward/superstar that is locked up long term on a fairly reasonable deal (Nash or Jeff Carter) or for a young forward with superstar potential who is under team control for a few years -- a guy like JVR or TJ Oshie.
i completely agree with you. the one thing that may change all of this though is Tim Liweekly and AEG. would they, could they force DL to step up the time table and go for broke?

i can't see DL making this move without having upper management tell him to go for it. everyone has seen how conservative he is. gambling away what likely would be a package of 2-3 top prospects and 1-2 picks for Parise to me makes zero sense for a rental.

i think Zach will play the market this summer. as of now i think NJ and MIN are two obvious targets. i also think LA has a better chance signing him than they did with Kovy, or any other big name in past years.

i think NJ will make a pitch for him this offseason, but they are in deeeeep trouble financially. last report i saw the owner was scrambling to make payroll again. they also have a ridiculously high proportion of RFA-UFA's due to hit the next few years. they have something like 15 roster spots within the next 1-3 seasons that have to be locked down with player contracts. this will take money obviously. now factor in Kovy's contract worth GNP's of small countries, the possibility of ZP's $80-100M contract AND an owner that is having financial issues. i don't see it happening personally in NJ.

the team, the org, DL have done a tremendous job in changing the perception of the Kings in the league. further i think adding MR to the roster is going to pay big dividends for years when it comes to FA's. he is highly respected by players around the league. we saw how quick the signing of Gag's took after MR told him he should look at and consider LA. granted they were teammates, but i expect the same to happen for years.

the WC and the Pacific again are the most competitive in the league. players will also look at this because to them it means a chance to play for good teams chasing you know what. in terms of money it means teams in the west are also looking to out do the competition, so players earn more potentially. the one big downfall is obviously the travel in the west, which will keep some guys away.

i am all for being patient and going after him this summer. to make a huge gamble on a rental for just ONE run at the Cup at this point is foolhardy. make the move in the summer, keep the depth pool deep and add to it. making a crazy ass trade for ZP at this point harkens back to days of old that got LA into trouble.

STAY THE COURSE....

Old
11-20-2011, 08:22 PM
KingsFan24*

Possibly?

To LA
Nick Palmeri
Vladimir Zharkov

To NJ
Trent Hunter
Brad Richardson