HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Bryan Murray May Be Forced To Make A Deal? (If Trends Continue)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-19-2011, 10:58 PM
  #51
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,671
vCash: 500
Way too much for Brassard, a guy who can barely outproduce Foligno... and only when he's riding shotgun with Rick Nash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
We do need a 2nd line Centre, for now and the future. Da Costa isn't ready, and as much as I like him, there's no telling if he will ever be. Regin's health is iffy and even if he is back he can be used on the 3rd line or as a LW. Zib may be a couple of years away still.

Lee + Da Costa + pick for long term 2nd line C? Turris?
How is Turris a guaranteed solution or a solution for this season?

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:13 PM
  #52
Xspyrit
Registered User
 
Xspyrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
We do need a 2nd line Centre, for now and the future. Da Costa isn't ready, and as much as I like him, there's no telling if he will ever be. Regin's health is iffy and even if he is back he can be used on the 3rd line or as a LW. Zib may be a couple of years away still.

Lee + Da Costa + pick for long term 2nd line C? Turris?
Da Costa won't be traded that fast. It would look bad if we trade a highly touted college UFA that soon...

And Turris? We have Da Costa, Zibanejad, Regin and maybe a few others auditioning for the job (or about to)... I'm not sure Turris is a better solution, he hasn't proved to be better than any of them. Not even sure I'd trade Da Costa for Turris. Draft position doesn't always mean everything and we already have a reclamation project (Filatov)

The overall skill (mainly vision, hands and hockey IQ) of Da Costa has to be developped, seriously. Huge potential there.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:16 PM
  #53
DrEasy
Allez Stephane !
 
DrEasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,954
vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
How is Turris a guaranteed solution or a solution for this season?
I don't know then, anybody else who's available, not a rental, and who can be obtained for Da Costa + Lee + pick?

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:23 PM
  #54
DrEasy
Allez Stephane !
 
DrEasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,954
vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Da Costa won't be traded that fast. It would look bad if we trade a highly touted college UFA that soon...

And Turris? We have Da Costa, Zibanejad, Regin and maybe a few others auditioning for the job (or about to)... I'm not sure Turris is a better solution, he hasn't proved to be better than any of them. Not even sure I'd trade Da Costa for Turris. Draft position doesn't always mean everything and we already have a reclamation project (Filatov)

The overall skill (mainly vision, hands and hockey IQ) of Da Costa has to be developped, seriously. Huge potential there.
I agree with all of the above. I realize that trading Da Costa would look bad, but I don't know who else we have who would provide value without creating a hole in our line-up right now and without jeopardizing too much of the future. As you said, Da Costa, Ziba and Regin are already auditioning for a #2 C, so we'd be essentially trading one of them for maybe one that is further along in the development path.

I don't know enough about Turris to guarantee he's a good solution to our current #2C problem. I'm all ears for other trade possibilities, ones that wouldn't involve Da Costa or Turris.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 11:40 PM
  #55
Afro Thunder*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,653
vCash: 500
Lololol at that Brassard proposal, I won't even do Neil for brassard.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:29 AM
  #56
Grigo25*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Khabarovsk
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batali Crocs View Post
stay the course. we'll balance out and end up out of a playoff spot soon enough.

after tonight we're out of the playoff picture. Tampa is still out of it and Montreal is too. No way we're better than those teams.
your way to negative. Montreal and Tampa arent anything special nono sirre bobbo

Grigo25* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 04:49 AM
  #57
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,864
vCash: 500
I wrote it but I must write again. Your owner agreed with rebuilding and IMO you should use it. You have great prospects... learn them. But if Murray wants to make a trade for getting a place for Filatov and Rundblad... it is something other of course.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 09:17 AM
  #58
PKC*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
So if trends continue and the team clips at an 84 point pace they'll trade futures? Lol Panzeri. The man is so disconnected from reality.
The team is 9-4-1 in its last 14 games. That's a pretty decent pace. I'm not saying they're going to play that way the whole year, but it's definitely a lot closer to what this team should be playing like rather than the first 6 games of the season (1-5-0) which were for the most part disastrous defensive efforts where the team just generally looked like it had no clue how to play hockey.

PKC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 09:34 AM
  #59
bonehead
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Lololol at that Brassard proposal, I won't even do Neil for brassard.
Not surprised - Brassard's track record isn't the greatest and has past injury problems (shoulder?). At the same time I'm sure Columbus fans would say the same thing ("I wouldn't trade Brassard for twice that crap") - I'm just trying to be realistic. Main point is I think that's the type of trade Ottawa should make. We're not going to get a current young top-6 forward for a collection of odds and ends (Lee, Kuba, Wiercioch, O'Brien, lower picks, ...) and it makes no sense to be buyers this year trading off long-term pieces for a short-term rental.

The only realistic alternative is to acquire a high-priced marginal veteran who has no trade value (essentially accept a salary dump for a low draft pick) but could be useful to a team like Ottawa with a specific need. Someone like a Lombardi (meh), Stajan (ugh!), or Pahlsson. Not too exciting - that's why I like the young/unproven/risky approach better.

bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 09:36 AM
  #60
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,957
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I wrote it but I must write again. Your owner agreed with rebuilding and IMO you should use it. You have great prospects... learn them. But if Murray wants to make a trade for getting a place for Filatov and Rundblad... it is something other of course.
Go ahead and just become a Sens fan!!!

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 09:39 AM
  #61
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bogor, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,588
vCash: 500
If we're not trading for a 2nd line center, we're not trading at all, IMO.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 09:42 AM
  #62
DefenseMinister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Murray just said in an article with Sportsnet last week that moves could be made but he was not interested at all in dealing away future assets.

So if there is a move, it will be a hockey one (ie Kuba or Lee for a forward).

Any talk of what the Sens may or may not do at the trade deadline is ridiculously premature.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 09:44 AM
  #63
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,957
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
Murray just said in an article with Sportsnet last week that moves could be made but he was not interested at all in dealing away future assets.

So if there is a move, it will be a hockey one (ie Kuba or Lee for a forward).

Any talk of what the Sens may or may not do at the trade deadline is ridiculously premature.
Obviously it's premature, but welcome to the world of Sports Journalism, you may as well get used to it.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 09:45 AM
  #64
MatthewT
Registered User
 
MatthewT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,588
vCash: 500
if he can make a deal that makes us better today and for the future, then do it. If not, don't.



BUCKLE UP.

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 09:51 AM
  #65
DefenseMinister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonahan View Post
Obviously it's premature, but welcome to the world of Sports Journalism, you may as well get used to it.
The Panzeri article in question is not talking about the trade deadline, it's talking about the possibility of a move in the next month. Those moves tend to be more of the "hockey trade" variety where salary out is fairly equal to salary in because of the financial concerns each club has and inflexibility a lot of teams have with the cap.

Only when you get closer to the end of the season and salaries become less of an issue (the deadline) do you see deals that are far more one sided (picks and prospects for players). That's a discussion for another day.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 09:57 AM
  #66
guyzeur
Registered User
 
guyzeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,063
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
Murray just said in an article with Sportsnet last week that moves could be made but he was not interested at all in dealing away future assets.

So if there is a move, it will be a hockey one (ie Kuba or Lee for a forward).

Any talk of what the Sens may or may not do at the trade deadline is ridiculously premature.
Lee or Kuba for a forward?

The maths don`t add up in this case. No one will give us a top 6 forward for only one of them and we don`t need anymore bottom 6.

If Murray believes that we are playing well enough for a playoffs spot we will need both to make them.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 10:00 AM
  #67
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher
 
JonnyMacSen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,947
vCash: 500
Something has got to go down once Carkner and Regin get back, could be something as simple as a demotion to players or perhaps a minor trade to free up some spaces.

As for the deadline, stay the course, we make the playoffs, great, we don't, fine, were not a cup contending team yet so lets not trade like one.

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 10:00 AM
  #68
BK201
Registered User
 
BK201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
If we're not trading for a 2nd line center, we're not trading at all, IMO.
which leaves 2 targets IMO

Brayden Schenn - long term will never be moved


Jeff Carter - also long term you guys know the rumors

if the rumors are true about Carter they need to get him. it would suck to loose some players but TBH it makes sense to get a high skilled center and not just a player with potential.

just not sure who would go the other way.....

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 10:04 AM
  #69
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,957
vCash: 50
Why is there so much hype over Brayden Schenn? I've always seen him as more of a 2nd liner then a 1st liner.

I just don't get it.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 10:05 AM
  #70
DefenseMinister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Jeff Carter is a locker room cancer whose production has dropped off drastically and has one of the worst contracts in the league.

Stay away, stay far away.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 10:08 AM
  #71
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,957
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
which leaves 2 targets IMO

Brayden Schenn - long term will never be moved


Jeff Carter - also long term you guys know the rumors

if the rumors are true about Carter they need to get him. it would suck to loose some players but TBH it makes sense to get a high skilled center and not just a player with potential.

just not sure who would go the other way.....

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 10:09 AM
  #72
Shanny
Coming In Hot
 
Shanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bytown
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,951
vCash: 500
I wouldn't be willing to give up anything more then a 3rd rounder and/or a marginal prospect/roster player at the deadline if were still in the hunt. I'd be all over Saku Koivu though if the price was right.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 10:12 AM
  #73
backdoorpass
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 979
vCash: 500
k seriously this is enough jeff carter is not coming here and hes the most overrated player in the league so please just stop

backdoorpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 10:14 AM
  #74
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad
 
stempniaksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,408
vCash: 500
I think Da Costa would be better suited in the AHL, so I would listen to the price for a stop gap at center, but beyond that I would roll with what we have.

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 10:14 AM
  #75
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,957
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoorpass View Post
k seriously this is enough jeff carter is not coming here and hes the most overrated player in the league so please just stop
Thank you.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.