HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobrovsky

Old
11-19-2011, 10:30 PM
DeflatedFootball7

vCash: 500
Bobrovsky

What on earth is going on with him this year? He had an incredible pre-season and a good start to the year. Now he just looks atrocious every time he makes his way to the crease. Bryzgalov has gotten back on track and is looking great most nights and worth at least part of his contract. Bob looks worse then he did in the playoffs last year.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 10:34 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

He seems the same as last year, as in he makes great saves but then lets in ********

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 10:42 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
He seems the same as last year, as in he makes great saves but then lets in ********
Quite the opposite I find. He stops crappy shots to the outside but then lets in even stuff he would have stopped last year.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 12:36 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
I still think he ought to be moved as a piece for a solid young defenseman for the future, but he's not doing anything to help his value...

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 12:45 AM
bryzgalovsky*

It's depressing watching his trade value rapidly falling.

Saving a rebound off a shot from the point while 3 guys were screening him and he had to dive to make the first stop? No problem.

Saving a basic slap shot with no screening? Saving anything that comes on a breakaway/penalty shot/shootout? Not happening.

He has serious flaws that need to be worked out if he's ever going to be a starter.

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 12:46 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
It's depressing watching his trade value rapidly falling.

Saving a rebound off a shot from the point while 3 guys were screening him and he had to dive to make the first stop? No problem.

Saving a basic slap shot with no screening? Saving anything that comes on a breakaway/penalty shot/shootout? Not happening.

He has serious flaws that need to be worked out if he's ever going to be a starter.
pretty much sums it up

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 12:56 AM
IceHot

He needs the same advice that helped rapair M.L.'s game.
STAY MORE IN THE NET, KEEP IN THE NET, Stop over playing side to side and leaving the whole damn net open. He was lucky they missed a few chances he let the whole net wide open over playing sliding side to side. KEEP YOUR TAIL deep into the net and make simple saves without dramatic unnecessary movement.

IceHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Prongo
Beer

I don't really see his trade value falling after 4 games this season. I really think the Flyers intend to keep him until he is a RFA lookin for a new deal and then they will trade him and bring over Hovinen(who by the way is kicking ass over in Europe)

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:43 AM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

I imagine being a back up isn't that easy for him being so young. Pretty hard to really find your groove if you only get to play like one game a week. But I'm a huge Bob fan and I'm sure he'll grow into the role as the season goes on and become the same goalie we saw early last year.

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 02:34 AM
mirimon

He had a bad game last night, but at the same time he wasn't exactly getting much help from his teammates. That was some terrible defending.

Still, he sure can play a lot better than this.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 02:38 AM
OzFlyers
Registered Boozer

I am a big Bob fan but I feel that it was the correct decision to not make him the #1 this season.

Give him some time to work on his weakness's and he will be a #1 somewhere in a few seasons.

OzFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 02:47 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

he's been lit up twice by the jets this year.

otherwise, he's looked solid. size is still his biggest flaw.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 02:47 AM
dats81

I used to be all for keeping him at least until the end of the season to see his trade value increase due to collecting wins but right now he looks so mediocre...not like a future starter...not even like a decent backup.

Hope he can turn it around soon

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 06:24 AM
Reaper1097

regardless of how Bob is playing, IMO he is getting way too many starts. Bryz is the most inportant player on this team (excluding giroux) and the flyers will only go as far as he takes them. I want him to play 7-8 games in a row to get him as confident and comfortable as possible. He is used to that workload and this constant goalie rotation doesnt help Bryz at all. I don't mind working Bob in more often during the dog days of the season in jan & feb. but now and at the end of the season bryz should be getting 80-90% of the starts. And why doesn't lavy allow Bryz to play back to back nights? All the top (and highest paid) goalies are able to do it. What happens if there are back to back games that are must wind later in the season? Is lavy gonna sit Bryz? I agree bob hasn't look good either do that might be skewing my opinion a little but I also think he should be traded for help as well...

Reaper1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 06:40 AM
Kaktus*

He's been good for the most part with exception of last night. Gave up 2 soft goals this season so far.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 06:42 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I don't understand why they can't send him to Adirondack. I've read that he would have to pass through waivers, but that doesn't make any sense, considering he's only a second year player. Bob needs to be playing lots and sitting back watching Bryzgalov does him no good. Call up Cash and send down Bob so that he can get his game on track. Simple as that.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 06:54 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't understand why they can't send him to Adirondack. I've read that he would have to pass through waivers, but that doesn't make any sense, considering he's only a second year player. Bob needs to be playing lots and sitting back watching Bryzgalov does him no good. Call up Cash and send down Bob so that he can get his game on track. Simple as that.
Quote:
"Sergei Bobrovsky’s immediate future appears uncertain at best now that the Flyers have made good on their promise to pursue a proven, top-notch goaltender. Ideally, the Flyers would allow Bobrovsky to develop in the minors. But because he played in 60 games as a rookie (54 in the regular season and six in the playoffs) Bobrovsky can now be claimed on recall waivers if the Flyers elect to send him to the Phantoms."
From yahoo

He can't be sent down.

http://ca.m2.yahoo.com/w/sports/nhl/...AqKK6nymhele24

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 08:46 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
What on earth is going on with him this year? He had an incredible pre-season and a good start to the year. Now he just looks atrocious every time he makes his way to the crease. Bryzgalov has gotten back on track and is looking great most nights and worth at least part of his contract. Bob looks worse then he did in the playoffs last year.
In my opinion it's probably a combination of two factors. One being the language barrier and the other being a lack of playing time. I'll explain.

Bob was never a great technician in goal to begin with. He was a really good athlete with a decent enough technical base to not get shredded in the NHL. When goalies like that get a lot of playing time and are sharp they tend to be fine, because there's no rust and they're decisive in how they position themselves which in turn makes their save selection easier, faster and more consistent. They also anticipate game action quicker and better.

When goalies like Bob sit (goalies in general really, but particularly inexperienced, raw goalies like Bob), they tend to look pretty bad, because they're not always spot on in how they read the game, so they end up putting themselves in positions where saves that should be easy are awkward and hard. Additionally, they're not as decisive in their reactions to the puck (primarily because they're in situations where the motion needed to save the puck isn't obvious or natural because they're out of position).

Case in point, the goal from the corner that went in off the inside of Bob's pad last night. That was entirely a result of awkward positioning as a result of not reading the game that sharply. So what happens . . . shooter shoots, Bob sees it, but he's not even close to squared up, and as a result you get a goalie who doesn't know what the hell he wants to do with the shot. So he ends up either freezing or flopping around and just generally looking ******** and allowing a goal. This is largely IMO, why goalies peak later. Their physical skills don't get better as they approach thirty, they typically just get more consistent at stopping the easier shots easily every time (due to a firmer technical foundation). Technique doesn't get lost as easily as being sharp or "in the zone". When you have good technique you can usually still be decent enough even if you're not sharp. That's why vets make better back-ups IMO, they don't accumulate rust as fast.

The language barrier is worth mentioning IMO because I think that a goalie with Bob's apparent work ethic would have made greater strides in his technique by now if he were being coached in his native language, but that is honestly just speculation and a guess on my part. At any rate I hope they hang onto him, I'm a big fan of him and his game.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 11-20-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 08:49 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 450
The Flyers lost in regulation in two of his starts.

Both of them were against Winnipeg.

Solution: Don't play Bobrovsky vs. Winnipeg.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 09:41 AM
mja
Negative Creep

I didn't see the last game but he still goes down way to early. He also tends to weirdly lunge forward on breakaways/odd man rushes, needlessly vacating the top half of the net, like he's trying to make a glove save on shots he should just stand in the way of and let hit him in the logo.

He's an immensely talented guy, but he's gotta work on his technique.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 10:13 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I love the bipolar posts on here. He's played a handful of games and earlier in the season there was a thread about a goalie controversy and people calling for Bob to be the starter. Now people are complaining about Bob and are up in arms because Bryz didn't start last night. Flyers HFBoards = knee jerk reaction capital of the internet.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I love the bipolar posts on here. He's played a handful of games and earlier in the season there was a thread about a goalie controversy and people calling for Bob to be the starter. Now people are complaining about Bob and are up in arms because Bryz didn't start last night. Flyers HFBoards = knee jerk reaction capital of the internet.
Sometimes perhaps, but overall, not really. It's not like there was a consensus in either direction. You heard one group speak at a time when their feeling on the topic was at it's strongest, and another group at a point when theirs was. There were two vocal minorities driving discussion at two different times. That's sort of how it is on any board like ours.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 10:59 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Sometimes perhaps, but overall, not really. It's not like there was a consensus in either direction. You heard one group speak at a time when their feeling on the topic was at it's strongest, and another group at a point when theirs was. There were two vocal minorities driving discussion at two different times. That's sort of how it is on any board like ours.
I dunno. It seems like after the team is on a good stretch everyone is a hero and this team is destined for twelve straight Cups. Then a losing stretch and we need a new goalie, coach, defense, GM, hot dog vendor, zamboni driver, etc.

Here's a timeline of Bryzgalov's Flyer career:

2010 Cup Finals: THIS TEAM NEEDS A GOALIE

2010-2011 Season: BOB IS THE GOALIE OF THE FUTURE

2011 playoffs: THIS TEAM NEEDS A GOALIE

2011 offseason: DON'T NEED BRYZ HE IS OVERPAID AND OVERRATED BOB IS THE GOALIE OF THE FUTURE SHOULD HAVE SIGNED NO ONE OR A CHEAPER GOALIE

2011 early season: BRYZ IS WORTH EVERY PENNY 2-0 WITH A SHUTOUT AND A ONE GOAL GAME

2011 a little later: WTF A LOSING STREAK BOB IS THE ANSWER WHY DID THEY SIGN BRYZ

2011 a little later: BRYZ IS WORTH EVERY PENNY BOB IS SO BAD HIS TRADE VALUE IS PLUMMETING

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 11:19 AM
decadentia

Always: We shouldve signed Vokoun

Sorry, I had to be that guy.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 11:25 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I dunno. It seems like after the team is on a good stretch everyone is a hero and this team is destined for twelve straight Cups. Then a losing stretch and we need a new goalie, coach, defense, GM, hot dog vendor, zamboni driver, etc.

Here's a timeline of Bryzgalov's Flyer career:

2010 Cup Finals: THIS TEAM NEEDS A GOALIE

2010-2011 Season: BOB IS THE GOALIE OF THE FUTURE

2011 playoffs: THIS TEAM NEEDS A GOALIE

2011 offseason: DON'T NEED BRYZ HE IS OVERPAID AND OVERRATED BOB IS THE GOALIE OF THE FUTURE SHOULD HAVE SIGNED NO ONE OR A CHEAPER GOALIE

2011 early season: BRYZ IS WORTH EVERY PENNY 2-0 WITH A SHUTOUT AND A ONE GOAL GAME

2011 a little later: WTF A LOSING STREAK BOB IS THE ANSWER WHY DID THEY SIGN BRYZ

2011 a little later: BRYZ IS WORTH EVERY PENNY BOB IS SO BAD HIS TRADE VALUE IS PLUMMETING
Your right! Stupid internet forums! Dont change your opinions!

But honestly you care alittle too much. HF has always been this way. HF and every other message board on the Flyers (and every other team out there from NHL to NFL to even soccer). I am on a few other ones and they are the same way. Look at some other teams forums. They do the same thing. I dont get why you get so upset about it.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote